Destabilisers

First things first, almost everyone on the forum is completely clueless about destabilisers, so I'd like to set forth a definition.

A Destabiliser is a Balance type customization that combines traits of both Attack and Stamina to defeat pure Stamina and Defense type Beyblades.

Destabilisers work well at low heights with flat Bottoms that provide both an attack pattern along with decent stamina, and utilise Attack type bottoms and at least decent Stamina Wheels with slopes that can knock the opponent off balance. They should comfortably defeat conventional Stamina customizations, however they falter against lower track Stamina customs.

Some examples include:
MF L Drago 100WF
Flame Cancer 90SF

Destabilisers achieve fair victory rates against many good customizations, where do you think they fall in the metagame?
One thing real quick: Is is "destabilizer" or "destabiliser?" I see both spellings in the OP.

I personally use Flame Cancer 105SF (because I have no more 90s or 100s) and it seems to be a decent destabilizer. IMO destabilizers are seriously underrated, and have a bigger impact on the game than anyone else views it.
Destabiliser, with an S.
Sorry if I botched it somewhere.

But yeah, this niche category really deserves some more dabbling.
Not sure if it's just me, but Destabilisers tend to work better when they are spinning the opposite direction.

I never really had any luck destabilising with Flame 90SF.
I think That the Clear Wheel plays a vital role with certain wheels, and I think Cancer is the Clear Wheel of choice.
That could be your problem?
Destabilisers do indeed work better in the opposite spin.
(Dec. 30, 2010  5:51 AM)Mc Frown Wrote: I think That the Clear Wheel plays a vital role with certain wheels, and I think Cancer is the Clear Wheel of choice.
That could be your problem?
I don't think so since I use Cancer too. Maybe it's because I'm using TT parts? :\
I use a TT flame, and it still works for me.

You're banking, right?
Hn, so we're using the British spelling? I honestly prefer 'destabilizer', not that it really matters.
why does my dictionary use an S?
anyways I think the S looks better, Z belongs to Zombie :V
(Dec. 30, 2010  7:04 AM)OkiBlaze Wrote: You're banking, right?
I launch it with a Straight Shot. Was I suppose to bank? hah.

For me, Flame Cancer 90SF does destabilise, but it doesn't do it as effectively as L-Drago destabilisers. That's all.
(Dec. 30, 2010  7:10 AM)Daegor42 Wrote: I honestly prefer 'destabilizer', not that it really matters.
Same.

Meteo LDrago also destabilizes well, but I don't know what track and bottom work best with it.

(Dec. 30, 2010  7:52 AM)Diamond Wrote: I launch it with a Straight Shot. Was I suppose to bank? hah.
It always works best for me when I bank.
Something like Flame Cancer 90SF has always seemed a bit dumb to me, to be honest. Destabilizers need to be able to defeat Attack types to be effective, and SF does not provide nearly enough movement to make this a reality.

Anybody who knows what they're doing with an Attack type can easily defeat something like Flame Cancer 90SF; now, MF L Drago 100WF? That's a bit more tricky and there is no guarantees. Something like MF L Drago 100WF has a decent chance to win against everything. While I haven't tested it personally, Meteo L Drago also seems to be good at destabilizing based on the tests I've seen, and of course in those tests it was using a flat Bottom with a much higher movement speed than SF.

Additionally, the idea of "pain-splitting" is an important element of a destabilizer in my opinion, so using left spin Wheels is important.
(Jan. 01, 2011  11:01 AM)Kei Wrote: Something like Flame Cancer 90SF has always seemed a bit dumb to me, to be honest. Destabilizers need to be able to defeat Attack types to be effective, and SF does not provide nearly enough movement to make this a reality.

So in a way, effective destabilizers are somewhat like balance types (in the sense of beating all three types)?
I don't really like the idea of destablizers in the first place. I see MF L Drago 100WF as an attack type. It happens to win by outspinning because it steals spin being in the opposite spin direction while at the same time shortening the opposing bey's stamina with it's attack type properties. It's kind of like how in the plastic generation, people would sometimes combat zombies by throwing Master Dragoon's attack ring on their zombie. I don't think Flame Cancer 90SF fits the bill because for the most part it would be spinning in the same direction as it's opponent.
(Jan. 01, 2011  11:33 AM)OkiBlaze Wrote: So in a way, effective destabilizers are somewhat like balance types (in the sense of beating all three types)?

That's how I see it, yes.

The only type that something like MF L Drago 100WF is essentially guaranteed to win against is a Defense type (well, I haven't tested it against a 230 Defense type ... so this might not be true anymore! But, I'm talking about Defense types using the conventional C145, GB145, R145, etc. Tracks), but it still has a decent chance to win against an Attack or Stamina type.

(Jan. 03, 2011  11:40 PM)Cye Kinomiya Wrote: I don't really like the idea of destablizers in the first place. I see MF L Drago 100WF as an attack type. It happens to win by outspinning because it steals spin being in the opposite spin direction while at the same time shortening the opposing bey's stamina with it's attack type properties. It's kind of like how in the plastic generation, people would sometimes combat zombies by throwing Master Dragoon's attack ring on their zombie. I don't think Flame Cancer 90SF fits the bill because for the most part it would be spinning in the same direction as it's opponent.

That's why I called it "The Destabilizing Attacker"! After all, Attack types are "The true Balancer"'s, right? Someone just decided to simplify the concept and invent the "Destabilizer" type after I re-introduced the "Destabilizing Attacker" type to everyone (Brad was responsible for the original concept but never followed up on it), but really, you need the "Attacker" part for it to be effective.

So, while the broad term "Destabilizer" could apply to something like Flame Cancer 90SF which has basically zero Attack potential, the term can also be sub-categorized into the more practical category of "Destabilizing Attacker", like MF L Drago 100WF, which is in itself a kind of Attack type, and thus a Balance type as well. There is a lot of overlap here, as you can plainly see. All of this being said, come to think of it, rather than "Destabilizing Attacker" being a sub-category of "Destabilizer", it makes more sense that it is a sub-category of Attack types, given that the original intention of the idea was for it to have properties of Attack.

I really like your comparison to what happened in the Plastic generation; it illustrates well the overlap of properties that can be created. Something like Flame Cancer 90SF can surely do the "destabilizing" part, but that isn't nearly enough.
MF L Drago 100WF is a really great combo to counter defence, but it not have a so good percentage of victory against Attack RF.
And if you use a MF G.Perseus 105RF you can have a lot of chance in right spin, and the assurance of victory in left. [i testing G.Perseus with LW105 only, but i think you get the same results with 100/90/85]