Defense Strategy

how does defense strategies work? you can't possibly defend yourself and win a battle right?

From what i see, defense beyblades like Seaborg 1 are "attack-defense type", while those like Master Draciel are "survival-defense type"

so my point is defense itself should not be a strategy, but possibly a sub-strategy or something.

what do you all feel?
It's still possible to get a full pure defense type Beyblade.

Like:
AR: Driger S or Galeon
WD: Wide Defense
SG: Neo Right [HMC]
BB: Draciel S (with 4 balls)

But yeah, pure defense combos aren't seen too often since they're usually out spun by survival types.
G Wrote:It's still possible to get a full pure defense type Beyblade.

Like:
AR: Driger S or Galeon
WD: Wide Defense
SG: Neo Right [HMC]
BB: Draciel S (with 4 balls)

But yeah, pure defense combos aren't seen too often since they're usually out spun by survival types.
Then aren't hybrid defense types still outspun by pure survival types?

Defense types are made to not be knocked around/knocked out the stadium easily. From what I understand there are two basic kinds of defense types. Ones that rely on weight, and ones that rely on grip tips. I'm trying not to go into too much detail because I am not sure the information I have is correct. Maybe Anubis will somehow make his way to this topic.
Z Wrote:how does defense strategies work? you can't possibly defend yourself and win a battle right?

From what i see, defense beyblades like Seaborg 1 are "attack-defense type", while those like Master Draciel are "survival-defense type"

so my point is defense itself should not be a strategy, but possibly a sub-strategy or something.

what do you all feel?

Defense is as valid a strategy as Attack and Survival.

Defense is meant to protect itself from pure Attack-types. Generally, Attack-types win by knocking the opposing Beyblade around or out of the stadium. Defense-types negate this.

Of course, as with any other type, you can combine Defense traits with other types.
Tamer Brad Wrote:
Z Wrote:how does defense strategies work? you can't possibly defend yourself and win a battle right?

what do you all feel?

Defense is as valid a strategy as Attack and Survival.

Defense is meant to protect itself from pure Attack-types. Generally, Attack-types win by knocking the opposing Beyblade around or out of the stadium. Defense-types negate this.

Of course, as with any other type, you can combine Defense traits with other types.

However, if ur strategy is solely to prevent your beyblade from being knocked out of the stadium, then the only way for your beyblade to win is still to outspin your opponent or hit it out of the stadium right?
I would assume defence types win by outlasting attack types. That's all there is to it, just as survival types win by not getting knocked out and spinning longer than the opponent.
Z Wrote:However, if ur strategy is solely to prevent your beyblade from being knocked out of the stadium, then the only way for your beyblade to win is still to outspin your opponent or hit it out of the stadium right?

Isn't that the only way to win any Beyblade match?
Tamer Brad Wrote:
Z Wrote:However, if ur strategy is solely to prevent your beyblade from being knocked out of the stadium, then the only way for your beyblade to win is still to outspin your opponent or hit it out of the stadium right?

Isn't that the only way to win any Beyblade match?

Break opponent's Beyblade, opponent mislaunches, opponent puts hand in stadium to pick up Beyblade, etc. etc.

I'm sure there actually ARE strategies to cause the opponent to do all that, although I can't think of any at the moment...
Composer of Requiems Wrote:I would assume defence types win by outlasting attack types. That's all there is to it, just as survival types win by not getting knocked out and spinning longer than the opponent.

isn't that the same as saying defense types and survival types are essentially similar?
^Yeah Composer, I realize all that, but I decided to just stick with the basics there.
Z Wrote:
Composer of Requiems Wrote:I would assume defence types win by outlasting attack types. That's all there is to it, just as survival types win by not getting knocked out and spinning longer than the opponent.

isn't that the same as saying defense types and survival types are essentially similar?

No. Defence types tend to have less survival, and survival types tend to have less defence. This is evident from the names, but often overlooked, probably because pure defence and pure survival types are more rare and they're often combined.

Tamer Brad Wrote:^Yeah Composer, I realize all that, but I decided to just stick with the basics there.

Oh btw, wasn't there a ruling with Hasbro stadiums that even if you knock the opponent into the penalty pockets, you'll have to wait and see if it stops spinning (i.e. it can still win even if knocked out)? I'm a bit fuzzy on these American rulings...
Yes Composer, that was the rule.
Composer of Requiems Wrote:
Z Wrote:

No. Defence types tend to have less survival, and survival types tend to have less defence. This is evident from the names, but often overlooked, probably because pure defence and pure survival types are more rare and they're often combined.

Tamer Brad Wrote:^Yeah Composer, I realize all that, but I decided to just stick with the basics there.

Oh btw, wasn't there a ruling with Hasbro stadiums that even if you knock the opponent into the penalty pockets, you'll have to wait and see if it stops spinning (i.e. it can still win even if knocked out)? I'm a bit fuzzy on these American rulings...

yah, i think so... there is always a probability that the knocked out beyblade can still get back in... the only way to win in Hasbro stadiums are either for the opponent's beyblade to be totally out of the stadium or to stop before yours do.
Talking about "pure" types is pretty redundant, since all blades have attributes of Attack, Defense, and Endurance.
Even something perfectly round with a round (MBD style) tip is going to have some small capability for attack, either through moving into the opponent's blade and pushing them, or grinding away their energy when in the same spin direction.

As Composer points out Defence and Endurance are usually traits found combined in a single blade, to varying degrees, because they compliment one another.

Technically the broadest definitions that should be applied to blades should be Offensive(anything that aggressively forces the opponent to spin-out) and Defensive(anything designed to passively maintain its own energy).
Of course Attack, Defense and Endurance do very accurately represent the Rock/Paper/Scissors relationship of the major strategies, and since it's a widely recognised cultural analogy (the game has spread further than any religion or empire in human history) it's convenient to use those definitions.
Good post, Prince. Grin
When you say game, are you talking about Rock, Paper, Scissors?
Cye Kinomiya Wrote:When you say game, are you talking about Rock, Paper, Scissors?

you must be joking right? what other game can it be? beyblade? lols...
Z Wrote:
Cye Kinomiya Wrote:When you say game, are you talking about Rock, Paper, Scissors?

you must be joking right? what other game can it be? beyblade? lols...

Snarkiness aside, yes, he meant Rock Paper Scissors.
Tamer Brad Wrote:Good post, Prince. Grin

ditto
PRINCEcharming Wrote:Technically the broadest definitions that should be applied to blades should be Offensive(anything that aggressively forces the opponent to spin-out) and Defensive(anything designed to passively maintain its own energy).
Of course Attack, Defense and Endurance do very accurately represent the Rock/Paper/Scissors relationship of the major strategies, and since it's a widely recognised cultural analogy (the game has spread further than any religion or empire in human history) it's convenient to use those definitions.

I like the part about offensive/defencive. It's a great way to divide blades, then later subcategorize them on how exactly they carry out this offensive or defensive strategy. However, I think there's still a lot of leeway to have offense/defence hybridization.

By the way, here we know it as scissors-paper-stone. For some reason. Saying it as rock-paper-scissors feels funny on my tongue.
if you know chinese, scissors-paper-stone is said as rock-scissors-paper.. lol
Z Wrote:if you know chinese, scissors-paper-stone is said as rock-scissors-paper.. lol

Yeah, but no one says it that way in english here.
G Wrote:BB: Draciel S (with 4 balls)

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't using 4 ball bearing on Draciel S illegal?
espio Wrote:
G Wrote:BB: Draciel S (with 4 balls)

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't using 4 ball bearing on Draciel S illegal?

It is legal, same goes for Draciel MBD.
Thanks I was just double checking.