Deception tactics in tournaments

Poll: Do you think deception is important in tournaments?

Yes
55.84%
Sorta/ Yes and No
28.57%
No
11.69%
Not sure/Undecided
3.90%
Total: 100% 154 vote(s)
Note: Before anyone says this is stupid and reports this, this was made with permission from Kai-V.

So, I believe that bladers who participate in tournaments regularly, or even battles with others, should have some kind of skill at deception. As I quote from Bey Brad:
(Jan. 29, 2011  7:27 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Jan. 29, 2011  6:28 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: ^Force them to use it? Did you blackmail them? XD

I don't think deception techniques are talked about enough here. If you can lead the opponent to believe you're using something you're not, the match is pretty much yours.

I agree with this completely. If you trick your opponent into thinking that what beyblade you have is something else, then the battle becomes much less difficult. Your opponent is unsure, and that messes up some part of their game. Perhaps they think you have an attack type when you actually have a defense type, and they use a regular straight shot instead of a sliding shot. That's your advantage, because then it becomes easier to win. You could even force them to use another combo because of what they think your beyblade is. Deception, when used correctly, wins you half the battle.

Some tips to deceive other bladers at tournaments and such:
1. Obvious to many, and this may surprise some of you that I would need to say this, but don't go bragging about or showing off the bey you are going to use to others at tournaments. I personally have seen this happen many times in India, where one person would brag about his oh-so-great combo, and then finish last because everyone knew what he was using. This helps leave your opponent(s) uncertain as to what bey you are using to begin with.
2. Using recolors is a great idea, too. (Thanks Deikailo for the idea! Joyful_2) Since most bladers are used to seeing the standard colors of a regular release bey, it becomes harder to identify what bey they are using if they have a recolor of a part. For example, in the SV set, a red-colored Pegasis wheel comes with the Storm Pegasis. This color makes it difficult to identify what kind of CW it is from even a short distance, unless you know beforehand or are close enough to actually see the details. Plus, most bladers aren't used to the recolors that exist. If you want to save your rare/limited edition beys, then get a spare.
3. Try to not place stickers all over your bey. The stickers, such as the wedjats (eyes) on Horuseus give away what bey you are using or what parts you have. If you have the same facebolt sticker as your CW, then opponents can quickly register what CW you have, and using enough Beyblade knowledge, inference your other parts. EX: Bull Facebolt/CW =stamina/defense= Earth/Basalt MW. All by seeing the stickers on your bey. Leave the stickers for testing if you really want it or collection. Many bladers often put the same facebolt as their CW to make it match or look good. Use this to your advantage.

Some tips to recognize beys and help you:
1. Try to remember some easily recognizable parts. Some parts, like Scythe, 230 or RF, have an easily identifiable shape or feature that sets them apart from other beys. If you see these features beforehand, even from a distance, as long as you can recognize them, you can use the knowledge to your advantage, and act accordingly. Knowledge is key.
2. Know of one-color release parts and parts that are obviously used for a certain type of combo. To make this clearer, for example, TH170 has only been released in one color: dark brown. If you see a dark brown track that's taller than a 145, but not as tall as 230, and bulky, chances are it will be TH170, and this will again help you plan accordingly to counter this. If you see a wheel like Basalt or a CW like Bull on a bey, it obviously will be used for defense or stamina, and this could narrow down your choice of parts for the battle to increase your odds. By being able to identify beys at tournaments and such and plan accordingly, you give yourself a better chance of achieving a higher place.
3. Brag to your advantage. By bragging about the wrong bey, you could actually deceive opponents into thinking that you are using a different bey from the one you will be using. If you had a Flame Cancer 90SF, and went around bragging about how powerful your Earth Bull 230RS was, then your opponents would plan wrong and use a 145 combo like Pegasis, which you can then use to your advantage (in this case, Flame Cancer would be able to destabilize Pegasis very well).
User-contributed tips:
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:09 AM)Fyuuor Wrote: I prefer not to use this next trick as I find it a little dishonest.

WBO rules state, "The Blader's Beyblade selection is to be considered undecided until the Beyblade is attached to the Launcher. Once the Beyblade is attached to the Launcher, that Beyblade must be used for the duration of the BeyBattle".

In order to deceive your opponent it's a good idea to carry around a Beyblade or simply hold a certain Beyblade in plain sight of your opponent without attaching it to your launcher in order to deceive your opponent in your choice of Beyblade for a particular round. By performing this method correctly you can subtly persuade your opponent into choosing a particular Beyblade in an attempt counter your 'displayed Beyblade', this'll allow you to decide on your own counter to what ever it is your opponent has settled on.
To further refine this point, Brad has made a suggestion that is, as Fyuuor puts it, 'the icing on the cake':
(Jan. 30, 2011  5:09 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Here's my super-annoying trick that worked every single time. According to the rules, your Beyblade selection is not finalized until you attach it to your launcher. Make sure your opponent sees your Beyblade. Put the Bey in your palm and hold it just beneath the Launcher prongs, and then twist the prongs with your fingers to make the snapping noise. Keep your Bey hidden with your fingers. Your opponent will likely assume you have attached your Beyblade and make their selection; however, since you didn't actually attach it, you are free to change as soon as your opponent attaches his.
Joined with:
(Jan. 30, 2011  2:57 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I think it counts, but I was actually thinking about using a Beylauncher LR, so while hiding my customizations as much as possible, leaving that launcher totally open to everyone's eyes makes them wonder what spin direction will be used, so which Beyblades too.
makes for a very useful tip in tournaments, especially large ones where the chances of revealing what you will use are much higher than a small tournament.

However, be careful when using deception. It could either help or harm you, and you must use it sparingly. The only way to really practice is through tournaments, and you can't use it too often and make it too obvious or no one will fall for it. As put by Brad and Fyuuor:
(Feb. 03, 2011  8:19 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: There's no real way to practice deception techniques outside of tournament play I think. You should also be careful to not employ them too often or otherwise nobody will ever fall for them.
(Feb. 03, 2011  5:30 AM)Fyuuor Wrote: I think it should be noted that while deception can be a handy trick to be used during a Tournament it should be used at a persons own risk. By entering a Tournament and deciding to solely use deception to aid you during your battles you should be wary that you don't focus to much effort into unsettling your opponent since it may throw off your actual game plan/battles. Deception can be a great technique if used correctly though use it sporadically and only when in doubt as otherwise you'll lose your battles as you'll be focusing to much on unsettling your opponents and not the battles at hand. I know this is a thread solely outlining this side of the game though it sounds as if quite a few players are directing to much effort into this cunning and deceptive technique whilst not practicing their shooting techniques which is a skill which can win you battles.

If you can do this, you've already won half the battle. The rest is easier now, and these tips could definitely help you.

-phew- So, any other ideas, tips, suggestions, or comments?
I think an obvious one is too brag about a bey you are gonna use and too show all the parts and stuff and before the battle choose a different bey so your opponent will think your gonna use the bey you were bragging on about.
remember though many people who play in the U.S dont have recolors use that to you advatage but at some tornaments you cant use tomy beyblade...Pinching_eyes_2
(Jan. 30, 2011  2:52 AM)Ultimate Wrote: I think an obvious one is too brag about a bey you are gonna use and too show all the parts and stuff and before the battle choose a different bey so your opponent will think your gonna use the bey you were bragging on about.

dude you sig is sick i just had to say that Smile
I think it counts, but I was actually thinking about using a Beylauncher LR, so while hiding my customizations as much as possible, leaving that launcher totally open to everyone's eyes makes them wonder what spin direction will be used, so which Beyblades too.

By the way, R145 has not only been released in one colour.
This is what I say to this. (Not bashing it, just giving it my opinion)

Even if you'r opponent knows what type you are using, "it is an advantage*, not a guarantee." (Quote from the types video of beywiki..RIP Brad)

*- I put this here, so I can say something. It is only an advantage if you are good at the type you are using. At the last tourny I saw many people who had an attack type and could not defeat my defense type because they were bad at shooting. (Aka not sliding shoot, or failing to sliding shoot which caused them to self KO) Then, there is using a defense type but shooting at an angle so it floor scrapes and loses, (or my own, where GB145 Kept getting destabilized by 85 stamina combos)

So it all depends on variables, but I will agree. Most of the time against the veteran player, deception can be useful.
Lawl, Nice job telling everyone what "smart" bladers are up to...
(Jan. 30, 2011  2:57 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I think it counts, but I was actually thinking about using a Beylauncher LR, so while hiding my customizations as much as possible, leaving that launcher totally open to everyone's eyes makes them wonder what spin direction will be used, so which Beyblades too.

Nice thinking, as usual from Kai-V. And also, if you plan to brag, brag about the wrong bey.
The other color that R145 came in was red, right? or there was another color also?<offtopic.
I prefer not to use this next trick as I find it a little dishonest.

WBO rules state, "The Blader's Beyblade selection is to be considered undecided until the Beyblade is attached to the Launcher. Once the Beyblade is attached to the Launcher, that Beyblade must be used for the duration of the BeyBattle".

In order to deceive your opponent it's a good idea to carry around a Beyblade or simply hold a certain Beyblade in plain sight of your opponent without attaching it to your launcher in order to deceive your opponent in your choice of Beyblade for a particular round. By performing this method correctly you can subtly persuade your opponent into choosing a particular Beyblade in an attempt counter your 'displayed Beyblade', this'll allow you to decide on your own counter to what ever it is your opponent has settled on.
(Jan. 30, 2011  2:53 AM)hotskunk Wrote: remember though many people who play in the U.S dont have recolors use that to you advatage but at some tornaments you cant use tomy beyblade...Pinching_eyes_2

hasbro has quite a lot of recolors though...

(Jan. 30, 2011  3:06 AM)Taiwo Seigi Wrote: The other color that R145 came in was red, right? or there was another color also?<offtopic.

i thought there was only orange and black. what is the red one from?
^ Wow. Talk about a useful loophole.

Yes, I do believe that giving false leads is quite useful. I'll add that in now.
Wow, this is a really great thread, thank you Ga'Hooleone! Joyful_2
When Brad Posted that, I honestly have no clue as to how I could achieve that.
Lots of tiny things make a huge difference.
I have actually been thinking lately what sort of tactics and such I would need in a tournament, that could help solidify a win. This helps a lot.

I wonder if the Italians use any sort of Deception? They are really aggressive with their play and are really experienced in tournament play.
So like I said, thanks Smile

Then what useful part has been released in one color to give me a substantial example?
Taiwo Seigi and Fyuuor

isn't what I said basically what you both said.
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:22 AM)SSJfisherman Wrote: Wow, this is a really great thread, thank you Ga'Hooleone! Joyful_2
When Brad Posted that, I honestly have no clue as to how I could achieve that.
Lots of tiny things make a huge difference.
I have actually been thinking lately what sort of tactics and such I would need in a tournament, that could help solidify a win. This helps a lot.

I wonder if the Italians use any sort of Deception? They are really aggressive with their play and are really experienced in tournament play.
So like I said, thanks Smile

Thanks. I appreciate the praise. I got the idea when Bey Brad posted that response in the OP to my comment.
Italians deception: Don't bring RF LOL.
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:24 AM)GaHooleone Wrote: Then what useful part has been released in one color to give me a substantial example?
TAKARA-TOMY seriously has a lot of recolours ... Even R²F was released in another colour.
I agree with Kai-V on using a Beylauncher LR. Also, like everyone's saying, just show off one beyblade and use another, but the display beyblade should be a sad attempt at a certain type. What I mean is this: Let's say you're using a top tier attack bey and you want your opponent to use a stamina bey. What you should do is show off a bad or decent (NOT TOP TIER) defense bey so that when you're opponent chooses, they'll be more likely to pick either a top tier stamina type.
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:26 AM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:24 AM)GaHooleone Wrote: Then what useful part has been released in one color to give me a substantial example?
TAKARA-TOMY seriously has a lot of recolours ... Even R²F was released in another colour.

Tired I was thinking of that, but then I remembered the recolor.
Hah! Got it. XF, Bakushin and/or Infinity. I'll use XF because it has found some usage.

S130, 135, TR145 (not that youd ever see it), & 230 are some examples
ED145 i think only had one recolor that doesnt look too much different than the original as well
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:36 AM)dubby Wrote:

S130, 135, TR145 (not that youd ever see it), & 230 are some examples
ED145 i think only had one recolor that doesnt look too much different than the original as well

wow 230, duh. facepalm. using that because of competitive usage.
But does anyone have any other suggestions?
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:24 AM)Ultimate Wrote: Taiwo Seigi and Fyuuor

isn't what I said basically what you both said.

To a point, you focused solely on blatantly telling the participants of the Tournament which combo you'll use while my technique is a subtle exploitation of the WBO rules.

Deception is a psychological game in itself. Bragging can help mislead an opponent into thinking they know which combo you'll use though I personally don't recommend it's use as deceptive technique. Deceiving an opponent is a subtle game, if you begin to blatantly tell people which combo your using then people may become a little suspicious to what your true intent is, you want to play down your deceitfulness as much as possible. Misleading an opponent into thinking that you won't deceive them at all is the key to deceiving an opponent and the true accomplishment of this underrated technique. It's all about trying to read a persons character.
Killer Beafowl isn't the only prize in RBV6. CS comes in a recolour purple, which looks like the recolour RF that comes in the L Drago Reshuffle set.

New York bladers know me by now and I use that to my advantage. When I used to battle Guardian Odin, we knew what style Beyblades each other would use. My insane plastic attack combo was Dragoon V2 base and Dragoon V2 rubber time. One day I replaced the rubber tip with a Wolborg 2 shaft and made a makeshift zombie. He saw the AR and base and assumed it was my main blade. It wasn't meant to be a top tier zombie, but because he selected a combo to counter an attacker and not a zombie, I had the advantage.

Part of letting your rivals get to know your style comes into play when you select a new style of play. You make them think that you're going to use an attacker because you love attackers and turn it into a defender or something of the sort.
Beyblades don't just hit you in your heart, they hit your mind and make you go insane! lol. jk.

but in all seriousness, I chose Fyuuor's because his uses the rules to your advantage. Instead of doing the obvious, yet by no means ineffective, bragging about the wrong combo, Fyuuor's is a more refined version of this concept, literally making the opponent think this is unfair or just be at a serious disadvantage. Plus, this is hugely advantageous to yourself if anyone here were to ever use it.
I don't understand, bragging is an amazing means of deceiving people. Why do you think I post my combos in the customization forum?
(Jan. 30, 2011  4:08 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Killer Beafowl isn't the only prize in RBV6. CS comes in a recolour purple, which looks like the recolour RF that comes in the L Drago Reshuffle set.

New York bladers know me by now and I use that to my advantage. When I used to battle Guardian Odin, we knew what style Beyblades each other would use. My insane plastic attack combo was Dragoon V2 base and Dragoon V2 rubber time. One day I replaced the rubber tip with a Wolborg 2 shaft and made a makeshift zombie. He saw the AR and base and assumed it was my main blade. It wasn't meant to be a top tier zombie, but because he selected a combo to counter an attacker and not a zombie, I had the advantage.

Part of letting your rivals get to know your style comes into play when you select a new style of play. You make them think that you're going to use an attacker because you love attackers and turn it into a defender or something of the sort.

That part is true. Most bladers just see the top of the bey and assume that this is what it is. If you used Earth Bull GB145RS, and then changed it to 230CS, your opponent would most likely think that it is still your regular Earth Bull, and use a stamina combo w/o realizing that yours is not only a different bey, but built for stamina too. I'll add this too to user-contributed tips.