Deception tactics in tournaments

Poll: Do you think deception is important in tournaments?

Yes
55.84%
Sorta/ Yes and No
28.57%
No
11.69%
Not sure/Undecided
3.90%
Total: 100% 154 vote(s)
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:58 AM)Fyuuor Wrote:
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:24 AM)Ultimate Wrote: Taiwo Seigi and Fyuuor

isn't what I said basically what you both said.

To a point, you focused solely on blatantly telling the participants of the Tournament which combo you'll use while my technique is a subtle exploitation of the WBO rules.

Deception is a psychological game in itself. Bragging can help mislead an opponent into thinking they know which combo you'll use though I personally don't recommend it's use as deceptive technique. Deceiving an opponent is a subtle game, if you begin to blatantly tell people which combo your using then people may become a little suspicious to what your true intent is, you want to play down your deceitfulness as much as possible. Misleading an opponent into thinking that you won't deceive them at all is the key to deceiving an opponent and the true accomplishment of this underrated technique. It's all about trying to read a persons character.
That's true, but if you don't overdo it then it can work out. Just say that you are using a brand new defense combo that is pretty good. Plus if you do overdo it, then you can just go ahead and use that combo, therefore you make them think that what you were bragging about using, isn't what you are going to use, but in reality it is.
Mind you, changing out the bottoms is more discrete than changing tracks. That's why I say CS looks like RF. You use RF over and over and then switch to CS in the same colour, you completely blindside your opponent.
(Jan. 30, 2011  4:12 AM)Taiwo Seigi Wrote: That's true, but if you don't overdo it then it can work out. Just say that you are using a brand new defense combo that is pretty good. Plus if you do overdo it, then you can just go ahead and use that combo, therefore you make them think that what you were bragging about using, isn't what you are going to use, but in reality it is.
Sky Prince did that. Said he was going to use attackers. I didn't buy that in the slightest and used 230 against his defender.

I still lost, but that's because I play attack/compact. Uncertain
(Jan. 30, 2011  4:10 AM)Deikailo Wrote: I don't understand, bragging is an amazing means of deceiving people. Why do you think I post my combos in the customization forum?

I never said bragging was ineffective. That's why it's up there in the tips. It's very useful, by all means. I chose both for use in deceiving opponents, but I added fyuuor's to user-contributed because his was also quite useful, but different. His was changing beys before putting it on the launcher. Combine this with Kai-V's tip of always using Beylauncher LR to make it difficult to guess, and it becomes near impossible to predict until the actual battle. I'm not saying I chose the rules loophole over bragging, I'm saying that I chose both, but made fyuuor's more noticed as his tip. You could say that while it is slightly dishonest, it could be considered "true" deception by interpreting the rules to suit your needs, whereas bragging is just misleading, but still amazingly useful.

EDIT: I know this is off-topic, but I feel like a psychologist or an evil one at that, trying to figure out how to mess up my patient and cloud their judgement to benefit myself. I think we all are in this thread.
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:58 AM)Fyuuor Wrote:
(Jan. 30, 2011  3:24 AM)Ultimate Wrote: Taiwo Seigi and Fyuuor

isn't what I said basically what you both said.

To a point, you focused solely on blatantly telling the participants of the Tournament which combo you'll use while my technique is a subtle exploitation of the WBO rules.

Deception is a psychological game in itself. Bragging can help mislead an opponent into thinking they know which combo you'll use though I personally don't recommend it's use as deceptive technique. Deceiving an opponent is a subtle game, if you begin to blatantly tell people which combo your using then people may become a little suspicious to what your true intent is, you want to play down your deceitfulness as much as possible. Misleading an opponent into thinking that you won't deceive them at all is the key to deceiving an opponent and the true accomplishment of this underrated technique. It's all about trying to read a persons character.
Sorry didn't litreally mean bragging someone really stupid would do that like you explained what I mean was too show your opponent the bey your gonna use but again don't over do it just keep your bey in the open so people can see and then change the bey. I can just imagine someone bragging
'Yeah i'm gonna smash you I got Vulcan and im using 85 RF yeah go and try to make the best defensive bey you can bring it' lol then you use stamina and then see the opponent hasn't fallen for your trick and uses attack lol.
^The main, fatal weakness in the trick: Most people overdo the bragging and it becomes very easy to see through. It fails often if it is overdone, or not done (well) enough to fool them.

Plus, the kind of bragging matters too. You could say, "Yeah, this combo [insert combo here] is really good. I'm totally going to beat you!" or the one above. I'm pretty sure you can tell which one will be more effective.

Plus, the whole trifecta in types of Beys kinda crushes the safety of bragging not working, cause if they don't fall for it and use the weak one, you've got same type or (more likely) one that's meant to kill your real one.
One of the first reactions a noob blader will try to do if one of your good beys that you will use against them is to grab for your bey to determine in their minds how good and recognizable your bey is to them by sounding out the pieces you have used on your bey. Most of them will try this whether you have beaten them in a round or have lost by chance.

The noob blader will also brag about their beys as has been mentioned before in this thread. It is of the utmost importance that you do not respond to them that their bey is in need of serious work if you wish to honestly and truthfully beat them. Telling them that their bey sucks will only offend them and you probably lose face.

Also if you cannot get a recolored bey part(s) paint them randomly yourself. The chance that they may not be able to deceiver what bey you are using will increase. Remember to use humility and good sportsmanship, whether you lose to them or beat them.

You can also take the gamble to change the clear wheel to a clear wheel that comes from a bey that is known to be terrible. The heavier clear wheels are suggested when attempting this act. Such as Bull and cancer, for they are somewhat confusing to the newer bladers.

This advice is also suggested greater to honest bladers like Fyuur argues all should be. (Such as myself I hope) Also never Under estimate any opposing blader. As well as being sure your ready in a tournament to go head to head against your own friends. Never count on winning as a team, for you may be going against them.

The advice given above may be added to or edited and is not a sure fire way of successfully"deceiving" your opponent.
Here's my super-annoying trick that worked every single time. According to the rules, your Beyblade selection is not finalized until you attach it to your launcher. Make sure your opponent sees your Beyblade. Put the Bey in your palm and hold it just beneath the Launcher prongs, and then twist the prongs with your fingers to make the snapping noise. Keep your Bey hidden with your fingers. Your opponent will likely assume you have attached your Beyblade and make their selection; however, since you didn't actually attach it, you are free to change as soon as your opponent attaches his.

Of course, now that the secret's out, it will be hard to get this to work. But I think this is one of the most advanced techniques you can use.
I just stay quiet and if people ask if i am good I tell them I suck....lol doesnt help I got Deikailo , Bluezee , or Cye screaming YEAH RIGHT from across the room....
An excellent read! I loved the structure of the OP. Though I dislike using deception techniques, it's available to those that want to utilise it. I just pick my Beyblade ASAP to stop the other player stalling.
I think the word deception is a little too deceiving. I like to call it mind games or yomi.
(Jan. 30, 2011  7:11 AM)ikmv Wrote: I just stay quiet and if people ask if i am good I tell them I suck....lol doesnt help I got Deikailo , Bluezee , or Cye screaming YEAH RIGHT from across the room....

LOL. You know EXACTLY why I did they. Token-sharking! Deikailo made a good point. Bragging works very well. I really don't use the deception thing that well but I have created my own alternative. Using a combo constantly in free play, although I do not usually do this tactic, makes others think I will use it since it works so well. I always carry around an ace or two so when I am unsure, I use it and it works. In other words, if you are unsure of what to do and use, make some key combos that you know their functions and capabilites extremely well and ONLY use them when in doubt. More often than not, this works especially if you have a strong launch.
The strong launch which you have so pointedly remarked in your 85>230 thread, amirite?
(Jan. 30, 2011  5:00 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: The strong launch which you have so pointedly remarked in your 85>230 thread, amirite?

Yes thats it. I'm sure that a normal launch with your own personal combo should work though in an unsure situtation since IKMV also uses this tactic but I'm not sure how effective it is for him.
I make tier 3 parts epic so people won't know how they work together because because they never tried. Cool
Or I just wear a low cut T shirt and show off some man cleavage and kepe dropping my beyblade!
(Jan. 30, 2011  6:02 PM)ikmv Wrote: Or I just wear a low cut T shirt and show off some man cleavage and kepe dropping my beyblade!
Gets me every time.
If one uses an Earth Bull combo, than don't assume that their Earth is any specific mold.
ESPECIALLY VIRGO.
Pull out a new combo no one has ever seen with completely whack parts.
They'll probably opt to stamina. Make sure your combo can beat stamina.

Another good one is to try and limit spectatorship of your match to non-participants and hold them to secrecy :V OR YOU KILL THEIR FAMILY
(Jan. 30, 2011  6:44 PM)Mc Frown Wrote: Pull out a new combo no one has ever seen with completely whack parts.

Another good one is to try and limit spectatorship of your match to non-participants and hold thenm to secrecy :V OR YOU KILL THEIR FAMILY
Not cool man, my brother died that way.

Besides the spectators should keep it to themselves anyway, that way if they're the only one prepared for you, it's more likely you'll defeat other contenders until you're up against them, when they should theoretically have an advantage.
Just a suggestion it's kinda hard to tell a blie 105 from a dark blue 100 so using parts that are close In height and color would be deceptive?. Like say"hey in using a flame cancer 105
Sf and it's going to beat you all!" and shows it to the opponents even though he's using a 100 they might qctrualy think he's using a 105.get it.sorry if this doesn't help
(Jan. 30, 2011  6:44 PM)Mc Frown Wrote: Pull out a new combo no one has ever seen with completely whack parts.

Another good one is to try and limit spectatorship of your match to non-participants and hold thenm to secrecy :V OR YOU KILL THEIR FAMILY
Goes back to what I said about creating combos out of tier 3 parts. Some of the tier 2/3 parts are amazing if you can pair them correctly. Because people see the list of tier 2/3 parts and automatically assume they are bad and not worth testing, they lack knowledge in countering them.

Any decent blader could look at a combo and determine how parts will interact with one another on a general level without seeing it launched. Spectatorship isn't something that can be limited.
^ That could work. That's true, many similar colored parts could throw off opponents. Maybe not the bragging part, but your opponent could assume that you are using a similar part to what you actually have. Like XF instead of WF, or 85 instead of 105 (Heracleo version)
Use the "concealment launch" lawl.
(Jan. 30, 2011  6:58 PM)Deikailo Wrote:

Goes back to what I said about creating combos out of tier 3 parts. Some of the tier 2/3 parts are amazing if you can pair them correctly. Because people see the list of tier 2/3 parts and automatically assume they are bad and not worth testing, they lack knowledge in countering them.

Any decent blader could look at a combo and determine how parts will interact with one another on a general level without seeing it launched. Spectatorship isn't something that can be limited.

True. That's what testing is for. And this thread is getting a little too joking. I'm serious about this, it really does seem like a good idea.