Cooking Thread: your "i cant cook" jokes aren't clever

Ah, flames...

Speaking of flames, I'm gonna grill some steak soon, but want to season it a little differently. Any suggestions?
(Sep. 23, 2009  5:32 PM)fragbait Wrote: Ah, flames...

Speaking of flames, I'm gonna grill some steak soon, but want to season it a little differently. Any suggestions?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby...index.html
Gonna have to try that burger technique, whoooowee looks great

Anyone here tried a bitter melon? Its a very cool vegetable, I discovered because of a school project.
It is no joke- bitter. Used most commonly in asian and west indie cuisine, it has this unique quality about it. Recommend it.

[Image: th_bittermelon003.jpg]
Cooked it like this http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/bitterm.html
simple
I love them; didn't know they were a type of melon haha; they remind more of cucumbers or courgettes when sliced.
Ahh Bitter gourd we have that a lot in North Indian Cuisine. It was one of my grandma's specialties.

Karela (as we call it) is definitely an acquired taste.
Yeah it has many alternate names so I learned lol.
Khel, you like it much? Any cool dishes you can remember?
I don't mind having it one particular way. Which involves stuffing it with a mixture (I think it includes spiced lentils and other things) and then sauteed. Seems to cut the bitterness by some.
(Sep. 24, 2009  1:41 AM)Khel Wrote: I don't mind having it one particular way. Which involves stuffing it with a mixture (I think it includes spiced lentils and other things) and then sauteed. Seems to cut the bitterness by some.

I wonder how it would taste cook in a sweet or a spicy sauce.
Well we traditionally cook it spicy, so I'm familiar with that much.

The sweet sauce I'm not sure.
(Sep. 24, 2009  2:05 AM)Khel Wrote: Well we traditionally cook it spicy, so I'm familiar with that much.

The sweet sauce I'm not sure.

I threw that out there because I usually go Sweet to balance a Bitter, as opposed to something else. If I ever have a chance to pick some up I will. Any ideas on where to get it in the USA?
Salty/savoury balances sweet, spicy balances bitter.
godddd this thread is making me soooo hungry D: we dont have anything to eat though so im freaking out Pinching_eyes_2 SOOO HUNGRYYYY

ima go look for a nice recipe and ask my dad to buy the ingrediants so i can cook dinner tomoro Grin

any suggestions? ill need sides too Pinching_eyes_2 something cheap please. were currently on a budget sadly Unhappy

also im a beginner at cooking. i can only cook simple things atm but i want to try something new Grin

EDIT: ignore bad spelling please. its like 2 am and i cant sleep but im extreamly tired lol.
(Sep. 23, 2009  5:32 PM)fragbait Wrote: Ah, flames...

Ever tried a beer-broiled steak? A number of years ago, my old roommate, Morgan, and I used to have steak nights once a week, and we'd try different cooking techniques all the time on them. One of the favourites was a beer broil with rub.

In a casserole dish, pour in 2-3 cans of beer. It doesn't have to be good beer, I've often found cheap, lousy beer is actually pretty good for this. You want to use a pilsner or lager type depending on whether you want a spicier or more savory baste, respectively. You want enough to just cover the steaks. At this point, it's really up to you how you want to season the baste. Morgan and I would use onions, hot peppers, barbecue sauce, worcestershire sauce, and garlic stirred up in the beer. We would then put a real simple rub on the steaks to make them more tender so they'd take up the baste more readily, usually just salt and pepper. Place the steaks in the casserole dish and broil at about 350°, periodically ladling the baste over top, until they're cooked to your liking.

It's kind of low brow, but it comes out delicious and it's a really cheap way to liven up some steaks.
broiling owns
(Sep. 24, 2009  2:14 PM)Spinster Wrote: Ever tried a beer-broiled steak? A number of years ago, my old roommate, Morgan, and I used to have steak nights once a week, and we'd try different cooking techniques all the time on them. One of the favourites was a beer broil with rub.

In a casserole dish, pour in 2-3 cans of beer. It doesn't have to be good beer, I've often found cheap, lousy beer is actually pretty good for this. You want to use a pilsner or lager type depending on whether you want a spicier or more savory baste, respectively. You want enough to just cover the steaks. At this point, it's really up to you how you want to season the baste. Morgan and I would use onions, hot peppers, barbecue sauce, worcestershire sauce, and garlic stirred up in the beer. We would then put a real simple rub on the steaks to make them more tender so they'd take up the baste more readily, usually just salt and pepper. Place the steaks in the casserole dish and broil at about 350°, periodically ladling the baste over top, until they're cooked to your liking.

It's kind of low brow, but it comes out delicious and it's a really cheap way to liven up some steaks.
That sounds delicous! Too bad you gotta be 21 to buy beer in the US. Can get drafted at 18 but can't buy a Draft. Meh...
(Sep. 24, 2009  5:19 PM)fragbait Wrote: That sounds delicous! Too bad you gotta be 21 to buy beer in the US. Can get drafted at 18 but can't buy a Draft. Meh...

do you not know anyone over 21?
(Sep. 24, 2009  5:26 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: do you not know anyone over 21?

Well...Wichita Smash Crew guys maybe... nobody I feel comfortable asking to buy me beer. Maybe next time I visit my jackass father I'll jack a few of his Millers. He won't miss them.
Made a 3-course dinner with my friend Smile

We made for an entree; Spaghetti Bolognaise, Main course: Chicken Curry and for dessert; Chocolate Thickshake.

It was my first time making curry. We had to make it before 8 PM and started at 7 PM. The cooking was fun and we customized the dishes to our liking. The curry was the hardest to make but the Spaghetti was the longest.

My friend's parents were the critics. They said that the Spaghetti was a bit overcooked but was nice and they really liked the Curry! They said the meat was tender and the sauce was sweet. But this was an awesome experience! Hopefully, I can become a good cook.
Just made Spaghetti and meatballs. I found this really nice recipe for meatballs and decided to give it a try. It's my first time doing it, but it entails mixing the garlic, parsley, parm cheese, milk, breadcrumbs, etc into the bowl and mix it all up. I made mine's a bit smaller than the size of a golf ball, nothing too big. I then let them simmer in pasta sauce for 40 minutes and they came out really nice and tender, I love them.
(Sep. 26, 2009  4:06 PM)Dragonsclaw Wrote: Made a 3-course dinner with my friend Smile

We made for an entree; Spaghetti Bolognaise, Main course: Chicken Curry and for dessert; Chocolate Thickshake.

It was my first time making curry. We had to make it before 8 PM and started at 7 PM. The cooking was fun and we customized the dishes to our liking. The curry was the hardest to make but the Spaghetti was the longest.

My friend's parents were the critics. They said that the Spaghetti was a bit overcooked but was nice and they really liked the Curry! They said the meat was tender and the sauce was sweet. But this was an awesome experience! Hopefully, I can become a good cook.

I've never heard of a sweet curry. What did you put in it?
Just had some delicious Nabeyaki Soba at the sushi joint down the road from my apartment. Definitely considering learning the recipe and trying this at home this winter!

[Image: tajima14.jpg]
that does look really good :o
The tempura shrimp in it was awesome, but a word of advice... eat it first, otherwise it just gets really soggy.