Cooking Thread: your "i cant cook" jokes aren't clever

(Aug. 03, 2009  6:13 PM)Rocky Wrote: I know these don't look like much, probably don't sound like much either, but they taste AMAZING. They're 'Carrot Slices', basically savoury flapjacks, mainly made of oats, carrot and cheese. They're so easy to make, I love them. <3

[Image: yumyumyum.jpg]

Carrot slice mountain! No, it's just a small plate. u_u

That is making my mouth water and it sounds nice. (I love flapjack Wink)
i made homemade pizza today, used bacon, chicken, beef, and instead of tomato puree i used barbecue sauce. oh and i also put in lamb...it was weird i used cheese to obviously but maaan it was tasty....but i ate it before i took pics..;;
(Sep. 21, 2009  11:10 PM)JB Stardust770 Wrote: i made homemade pizza today, used bacon, chicken, beef, and instead of tomato puree i used barbecue sauce. oh and i also put in lamb...it was weird i used cheese to obviously but maaan it was tasty....but i ate it before i took pics..;;

Sounds deilicous. I love BBQ pizzas, I used to make them when I worked at a Pizza place. I've also done a buffalo chicken Pizza...so good. I got a buddy who still works there who will make them for me.
made steak; pan seared Strip steak and finished it of in the oven. Came out a little more done than I like, but I now know.

[Image: HPIM0034.jpg]

May not look like much, but it's amazing how good a piece of good meat with adequate salt and pepper can taste.

Oh and I had a side of Roast Sweet Potatoes, but forgot to take a pic of that.
It does look good. I'm making cheeseburgers right now.

http://thepauperedchef.com/2008/12/the-s...ction.html
Going for the thin patty burgers I see.
thin patty burgers are the best anyone who disagrees has never had a good one
(Sep. 22, 2009  1:53 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: thin patty burgers are the best anyone who disagrees has never had a good one

What makes them better than one with a huge patty?
(Sep. 22, 2009  1:59 AM)fragbait Wrote: What makes them better than one with a huge patty?

because if you eat 3 tiny patties vs one big patty you get all the yummy seared outside
wait khel if you pan seared your steak why are there grill marks
(Sep. 22, 2009  1:59 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: because if you eat 3 tiny patties vs one big patty you get all the yummy seared outside

Hmmm...true...

Also, you can get a pan with grates on it for the oven. I use one every so often. Usually, you just slip the grate right over your drip pan.
(Sep. 22, 2009  1:59 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: because if you eat 3 tiny patties vs one big patty you get all the yummy seared outside

well I used a grill pan

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50055085
This one to be exact. I just noticed we had one it the house and decided to play around with it. It caramelizes the outside like a plain pan while leaving the grill marks which are very appealing to the eye.
(Sep. 22, 2009  1:38 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: It does look good. I'm making cheeseburgers right now.

http://thepauperedchef.com/2008/12/the-s...ction.html

Good grief, that pan looks really greasy, I never thought there would be a time when I saw worse than what I wash-up.

Khel, those steaks do look good but it is a shame I could never eat any.
(Sep. 22, 2009  2:24 PM)Zander Soulwind Wrote: Good grief, that pan looks really greasy, I never thought there would be a time when I saw worse than what I wash-up.

um

yes, burgers will do that
Since, depending on how things go, I might be moving out in a year or so, I figured i might as well learn how to cook now so I can hold my own alone in the cold, unforgiving world. And when my future wife inevitably puts me out, I wont be entirely screwed over.

I can do simple things, like boil pasta and chow mien, as well as fry/boil eggs. Any easy recipes for me from you experienced chefs out there?
get a cookbook

the new basics is very good
read a few cookbooks. Go on youtube and watch how some of it's done.

A particular chef I like puts out a new vid every few days. the channel is foodwishes

And don't be discouraged if you mess up the first few times. It's very normal
I made Welsh Rarebit on the fly the other night at my buddy's place while we were drinking beers and watching movies. It turned out great, I gotta say, though the texture was closer to a British pudding than a traditional Rarebit...

Pics aren't the best quality, but take a gander if you so will!

[Image: 0920092322.jpg]
[Image: 0920092322a.jpg]

Got a nice, crusty loaf of French Bread, sliced it in 2, and set it in a baking pan.
Preheated the oven to 375°
Got about a quarter pound of sharp Wisconsin cheddar and shredded it into a saucepan.
Poured a bottle of Pumpkin Spice Ale into the saucepan. It should be noted, this is far more beer than is typically suggested, but we didn't have a double boiler, so we needed more liquid to prevent the cheese from scalding.
Put the saucepan on medium-low heat and continually stirred until all the cheese was melted and the beer was mostly flat.
Stirred in about 1-2 tablespoons of coarse-ground, spicy German mustard and stirred until well blended.
Poured this mixture over the French Bread so it soaked through.
Sliced a very large Beefeaters tomato and layered overtop the Rarebit.
Placed in oven for 5 minutes.
Took out of oven and ladled sauce from the bottom of the pan over top the tomatoes.
Placed back in the oven for 5 minutes, rotated, baked for another 10 minutes.
Removed when most of the sauce in the bottom had reduced and the bread crust was nice and toasty.
Sliced pieces off and enjoyed!
Made my own recipie, no name yet.

Boil rice noodles in your choice of broth, let cool in fridge for about an hour, until you can touch them and they are cold.
Mix water and cornstarch, mostly water, in bowl. Mix until milky white, then boil the water from the noodles, and add cornstarch in small amounts, let boil, then wait until it thickens. Set into fridge as well.
Next, cut Broccoli (quarter each stalk), carrot (angular cuts), onion (sliced or diced), celery (again, angular cuts) and Chicken (about 1/4 inch angular, boneless).
Get a strainer, and a wok. Turn stove to high, let wok heat until it steams, add enough oil to coat bottom, add broccoli and carrots, stir fry for 30-45 seconds (less or more according to how crisp you want them), add onion and celery. Stir fry for another 1/2 minute roughly, put in strainer. Once again lightly oil wok, stir fry chicken, seasoning to taste (I like mine a little spicy). Once done, set into strainer, oil wok, add noodles.
This is the most important part:
Keep them MOVING! You want your spatula to scrape the bottom and move those noodles! Otherwise they'll stick and burn. Some will stick, but they won't burn because you are moving them. Season to taste. About 1 1/2 minutes into stir fry, add vegetables and chicken from strainer, and mix well. Once again, you want to hear a scraping! Then, right before you take off of the heat (about 2 to 3 minutes of constant stirring) add the sauce you made eariler from the broth. Mix well, and take off heat. Let cool.
Serve with eggrolls, lumpia, whatever!

Once again, though...forgot to take a pic! It sounds basic but looked and tasted wonderfully! I usually have some complaint about my own ideas, but I had none on this recipe. I'll be cooking it again and posting pics when I do.
Enjoy, WBO!
Sounds good, but it's got a name... you made chicken mei fun.
Gasp *drools* I want to stop looking at this thread. but i cant. everything sounds so yummy; looks yummy with photos. Tongue_out
(Sep. 23, 2009  5:28 AM)Spinster Wrote: Sounds good, but it's got a name... you made chicken mei fun.

I don't know weather to be happy that I actually made something, or that the originality I thought I had is a false one...
Meh. 'Twas tasty anyway.
You know a bit about this cooking thing, don't ya?
I've been working in the restaurant business off and on since I was 17.
(Sep. 23, 2009  2:08 PM)Spinster Wrote: I've been working in the restaurant business off and on since I was 17.

That would explain all the tasty ideas I've gotten from reading your posts. Any tips on how I could improve the recipe?
(Sep. 20, 2009  9:14 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: UGH IF YOU DON'T COOK DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CEREAL

CEREAL IS COOKING AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY CEREAL THAN DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD
(Sep. 23, 2009  4:32 PM)Mukilab Wrote: CEREAL IS COOKING AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY CEREAL THAN DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD

get out