"Comparing" Upper attack/force smash

Hey everyone,

Just a quick report from me. (You can remove this if you feel appropriate)

One thing Ive often thought about is just how to go about comparing the upper/force smash attack capabilities of various attack rings by a proper visual process as opposed to just looking at one from the side and taking an educated guess.

For some attack rings its simple. For rings like Upper dragon and triangle wing. But say you wanted to compare upper attack for rings such as Tiger Defenser and Triple wing?

Its simple. All thats needed is some of This stuff:

[Image: unbranded-thinking-putty.gif]

This can be picked up anywhere from places like joke shops, novelty gift stores and tons of other places as well as being very cheap (AND great fun to mess around with).

To compare rings, Spread the putty out onto a flat surface and ensure the putty is smooth/smoothish and prepare the two attack rings for comparison.

[Image: tdefentripwing.jpg]

Starting where the "Ramp" of the ring begins, roll the ring across the putty to leave an imprint/mold. Do the same to the other ring but be sure that the horizontal remains constant (Important for comparison/measuring)

[Image: printing.jpg]

You will now have the two upper attack surfaces for comparison and to compare each other against. In doing this, you can also find more precise information such as the length of the slope and angle of the ramp by using a protractor etc. (Tiger Defenser on top, Triple wing just below)

[Image: defensermould.jpg]

From looking at this, we can see that Driger S has the more proficient slope out of the two rings. (I know. Who the hell would anybody want to use DRS for upper attack anyway?! but this is just for an example so be quiet!)

And whats good about this method?
-Does not affect parts
-makes attack surfaces easier to compare (as well as being more accurate than just looking)
-Precise information on ramps can be found such as the angle and length of slope.
-Works on ANY upper attack part (Including various support parts as well as HMS attack rings and CWDs).

A useless post? For some, maybe. But its a good way of comparing the rings effectively than just guessing. Hoping this is of some use to people.
couldn't you just photograph the ARs from the side
It is possible, however the rounded shape of the wings on the ring can sometimes be deceiving in their appearance. This method also makes the attack rings easier to study. mainly for purposes of measuring the angle of the slope and the length of the slope which cant easily be achieved from a photograph or on an actual attack ring (I dont know many protractors which are known to be flexible and bend around stuff which is what you would need to do to properly measure a ring "In the flesh").

I think the bottom line to using this method is that it can make finding various stats from parts easier and more reliably than just taking rough shots and judging from appearance (Which is all a photograph would do).
you could also use a ruler
Using a Ruler.

On the actual ring:

[Image: innacuratemeasure.jpg]

Ring is curved. Cannot accurately measure.

Using Putty Method:

[Image: easymeasure.jpg]

Provides a straightedge to measure with.

Thats the basis behind my thinking.
i meant use it to measure vertically but ok
thank you cobraroll for posting this informative thread and taking the effort to upload images and ideas.
I think it's a good idea, personally. x3;
(Oct. 30, 2008  8:11 PM)Anubis Wrote: I think it's a good idea, personally. x3;

it's a pretty good idea i'm just being a jerk because i'm sick
When you roll it's easy to accidentally stretch overly far. Also, just comparing the slope won't tell you much about actual performance.

Finally, after you get out the slope, do you actually know how to use this information to tell you how good its upper is?
I wouldn't do this to my AR, but that "goop" stuff wouldn't work as well as like clay or even play dough since it'd slowly spread out.