Community Rules & ToS Update - Leaks, Piracy and Liability + Event Profiting Policy

Hey World Bladers!

We previously touched upon our plans to update our Community Rules to properly clarify our stance on leaks and piracy both on our platform and at our events. Today, we're pleased to announce that the finalised rules for this have now been added to our Community Rules.

In addition, we have also clarified our stance on different methods of profiting from WBO Organized Play events in an update to our Terms of Service and Organizer's Guide.

Please note that these rule changes are effective immediately. We ask that everyone familiarises themselves with these new rules as soon as possible.

Community Rules Update

Posting paid and/or unreleased content

As of today, our Community Rules now include the following clause:

NEW
WBO Community Rules – Things Not to Do Wrote:Posting paid and/or unreleased content - Posting of any images, videos, article transcriptions, or links showing or giving access to paid or officially unreleased copyrighted material is prohibited. Verbal discussion about such material is OK. Staff reserve the right to remove any such material and warnings may be issued to anyone sharing these on the Platform.

This rule includes, but is not limited to: the posting of pages from CoroCoro magazine and posting links to anime fansubs.

This rule does not include posting photos or videos of official Beyblade products.

Our Beyblade Anime & Manga subforum has also been updated with the following forum-specific rules:

NEW
Beyblade Anime & Manga – Forum Rules Wrote:
  • Leaks & Piracy - Please be aware of the restrictions noted in our Community Rules under "Posting paid and/or unreleased content". Posts containing links to pirated or unofficial versions of Beyblade media will be subject to removal with a formal warning. Always support the official release where possible.
  • No "Link Begging" - Repeatedly asking/begging for links to access Beyblade anime or manga via illegitimate means is prohibited and is subject to formal warning.

But why?

We appreciate that these may not be popular changes, but we expect all members to diligently follow these rules. This has been essential for us to impose in order to keep Fighting Spirits Inc. (and in turn, the World Beyblade Organization) legally in the clear when it comes to copyright law.

Japan's anti-online piracy law was updated at the beginning of October and, while it doesn't apply to international websites in it's current state, we feel that it is both the safest and best option to support this in it's current state anyway. The fact of the matter is that many of the sites used to share Beyblade episodes or chapters with each other in the past have indeed been unofficial and breaches of piracy, so we would like to show solidarity in this respect by outright banning these.

The bottom line: wherever and whenever possible, you should always support the official releases, whether it's for Beyblade or any other fandom.

Fansubbing groups that have shared their works via our platform, such as Hoshi-no-Yume's work with the Burst anime, have been informed of these changes already. While you will no longer see links to download their episode files, their translated scripts are still permitted onsite and we welcome these to be shared with the community.

Reporting Leaks/Piracy

If you see any posts breaking these rules, please use the Report function and select the new "Contains Leaks/Piracy" option to report it directly to us. We advise against handling the situation yourself and encourage everyone to get our Moderation team involved instead.

Terms of Service/Organizer's Guide/Event Page Template Updates

Terms of Service – Event Profiting Policy
We have made updates to our Terms of Service, Organizer's Guide, and event page template in order to clarify our stance on the various ways in which people may attempt to (intentionally or not) profit from or conduct unapproved contests, raffles, gambling, or betting at WBO Organized Play events.

UPDATED
Terms of Service – Communities, Events & Organizers Wrote:
  • By accessing our Platform, you agree not to hold Fighting Spirits Inc. responsible or liable for anything that happens in connection with third-party transactions, services, contests, raffles, interactions with members, or anything in connection with offline in-person gatherings advertised or discussed on the Platform.

NEW
Terms of Service – Communities, Events & Organizers Wrote:
  • Advertising the sale of any product or service as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on any WBO Beyblade Tournament event page is prohibited for all users unless explicitly approved beforehand by Fighting Spirits Inc.
  • Selling any product or service or conducting a contest, raffle, gambling, or betting within the venue of a WBO Beyblade Tournament is prohibited unless explicitly approved beforehand by the operator of the venue and Fighting Spirits Inc.

Organizer's Guide – Event Profiting Policy

NEW
Organizer\s Guide – Tournament Management Wrote:Contests, Raffles, and Selling During Your Events
All members are subject to our Terms of Service, including our policy on contests, raffles, gambling, and betting and selling at events.

If you notice someone advertising or posting about these things on your event page, report it to a WBO Staff Member.

If you notice someone conducting these activities within your event venue, you may ask them to stop. However, if you do not feel comfortable or safe doing so, refrain from interacting with them and report it to a WBO Staff Member afterwards.

Event Page Template – Event Profiting Policy & ToS Agreement
In addition to point number eight below, we've also added in number nine to re-confirm each attendees acceptance of our Terms of Service.

NEW
Event Page Template Wrote:Need-to-Know Information

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited
Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service
All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

Again, why?

While we don't like imposing these restrictions any more than you guys do, these are essential to keep Fighting Spirits Inc. (and in turn, the World Beyblade Organization) legally in the clear. Many venues, such as public parks, do require the individual seller or the organization to carry a license in order to do a trade, so this is a change to not only protect the organization as a whole, but also yourselves from any potential trouble.

We are careful to note that permission can be requested from the Organized Play team if you feel that selling is fine at your venue, or if you do indeed carry a trading license for that venue. We aren't trying to completely stop the selling of product, but rather moderate it to protect all parties involved.

Where possible, we do recommend performing any transactions away from the event venue, preferably before arriving at the event. The Bey Marketplace subforum does also exist to support online buying, selling and trading, so we also encourage all users to consider using that too.

Questions, Concerns, or Comments?
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments about the updates posted here, please feel free to reach out to a WBO Staff member privately or post in the Discuss worldbeyblade.org forum if it is an issue which warrants public discussion.
So, does this mean that pictures of Corocoro after it has officially released are now banned? I'm somewhat confused.
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:19 AM)AirKingNeo Wrote: So, does this mean that pictures of Corocoro after it has officially released are now banned? I'm somewhat confused.

Its fine after it has released.
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:19 AM)AirKingNeo Wrote: So, does this mean that pictures of Corocoro after it has officially released are now banned? I'm somewhat confused.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. In fact, you'll probably notice that past CoroCoro issue pictures will start disappearing for this same reason.
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:23 AM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Is this a bannable offense?

It's not an instant ban. A Staff Member will only edit the picture out of a post, but a warning may be given after several repeat offenses. As usual, too much Warning Percentage leads to a ban, so it technically *could* stack up to a ban.
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:26 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote:
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:23 AM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Is this a bannable offense?

It's not an instant ban. A Staff Member will only edit the picture out of a post, but a warning may be given after several repeat offenses. As usual, too much Warning Percentage leads to a ban, so it technically *could* stack up to a ban.
Well actually, it’s not the amount of warning percentage. The staff members have to manually ban them. But, having a higher warning percentage does sorta give red flags to mods, so there’s that.
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:22 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what it means. In fact, you'll probably notice that past CoroCoro issue pictures will start disappearing for this same reason.

But the article linked in this post that explains the law clearly states that something like pictures of Corocoro after its released would be totally fine. Or at least that's how I interpret it.

Quote:The Agency for Cultural Affairs lists examples that can be exempted, such as downloading only a few frames from a comic book of several dozen pages and a couple of pages from a novel containing several hundred pages.

Seems like an unnecessarily strict rule since the law already has an exception in place.
so pictures like these are still allowed? (Super Hyperion used as example)
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:37 AM)CheetoBlader Wrote:
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:26 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: It's not an instant ban. A Staff Member will only edit the picture out of a post, but a warning may be given after several repeat offenses. As usual, too much Warning Percentage leads to a ban, so it technically *could* stack up to a ban.
Well actually, it’s not the amount of warning percentage. The staff members have to manually ban them. But, having a higher warning percentage does sorta give red flags to mods, so there’s that.
100% Warning Percentage is an instant ban is what I meant, but you're right that it doesn't need to get to 100% for a ban. For example, I've banned several spam accounts already without even touching the Warning Percentage.
I'm fine with the rule. I don't really post pics anyway so yeah. This rule does not apply for people who dont have access to post the pics?
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:39 AM)DeltaZakuro Wrote: so pictures like these are still allowed? (Super Hyperion used as example)
Official img from the TT site can be posted while leaks from the magazine cannot be posted
This seems a little harsh. For some of the younger bladers, this is the only way that they have been able to attempt to stay in the game. Many have met friends through the marketplace at tournaments and those are the friendships that develop into a connection and obtain the latest beys. I for one, have developed a great friendship with one seller and this is one of biggest reasons we have been collecting and keeping our excitement for Beyblades alive.
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:41 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote:
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:37 AM)CheetoBlader Wrote: Well actually, it’s not the amount of warning percentage. The staff members have to manually ban them. But, having a higher warning percentage does sorta give red flags to mods, so there’s that.
100% Warning Percentage is an instant ban is what I meant, but you're right that it doesn't need to get to 100% for a ban. For example, I've banned several spam accounts already without even touching the Warning Percentage.
While that’s not said in the rules or anything that 100% is an instant ban, it’s almost fact. There are some exceptions though, but yeah. 100% is pretty much an instant ban. Also how good does it feel to ban people/bots? (That last one was a joke, don’t ban me lol)
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:41 AM)kai edits Wrote: I'm fine with the rule. I don't really post pics anyway so yeah. This rule does not apply for people who dont have access to  post the pics?
No one is above the rules, so it does apply to them. But if they don’t have access to post pictures, then why does it matter?
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:39 AM)AirKingNeo Wrote:
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:22 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: Yes, that's exactly what it means. In fact, you'll probably notice that past CoroCoro issue pictures will start disappearing for this same reason.

But the article linked in this post that explains the law clearly states that something like pictures of Corocoro after its released would be totally fine. Or at least that's how I interpret it.

Quote:The Agency for Cultural Affairs lists examples that can be exempted, such as downloading only a few frames from a comic book of several dozen pages and a couple of pages from a novel containing several hundred pages.

Seems like an unnecessarily strict rule since the law already has an exception in place.

A platform such as the WBO or YouTube has to be more strict than the law sometimes to preserve its values and ensure it doesn't get in trouble. Even if the laws say something less strict than the platform-specific rules do, go with the platform-specific rules to keep things consistent between Members.

(Oct. 14, 2020  12:44 AM)CheetoBlader Wrote:
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:41 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: 100% Warning Percentage is an instant ban is what I meant, but you're right that it doesn't need to get to 100% for a ban. For example, I've banned several spam accounts already without even touching the Warning Percentage.
While that’s not said in the rules or anything that 100% is an instant ban, it’s almost fact. There are some exceptions though, but yeah. 100% is pretty much an instant ban. Also how good does it feel to ban people/bots? (That last one was a joke, don’t ban me lol)
Well, percentages in intervals of 10 starting at 20% have certain automatic ban timers, with 100% being a 1 year ban, so you're basically toast if you somehow get to the 100% mark. As for the banning spammers question, a legitimate answer for now is that it feels weird. It's so instant that I'm left second-guessing myself sometimes lol.
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:39 AM)AirKingNeo Wrote: But the article linked in this post that explains the law clearly states that something like pictures of Corocoro after its released would be totally fine. Or at least that's how I interpret it.

As with all rules, it's possible we may tweak it (and I hope we can) over time once we have a deeper understanding (from a lawyer) about the nuances of laws like this one. We are taking the stance of being safe rather than sorry with the introduction of these rules for the time being.

Paid content is paid for a reason; you have to purchase it to view it. When it comes to CoroCoro, it's not very difficult to purchase it from Amazon Japan these days either.

In any case, I'm fairly certain most (if not all) Beyblade news does get posted online from official sources eventually anyways. I don't believe there is going to be massive pieces of news that are lost because of the implementation of this rule.

(Oct. 14, 2020  12:43 AM)NiallI Wrote: This seems a little harsh. For some of the younger bladers, this is the only way that they have been able to  attempt to stay in the game.  Many have met friends through the marketplace at tournaments and those are the friendships that develop into a connection and obtain the latest beys.  I for one, have developed a great friendship with one seller and this is one of biggest reasons we have been collecting and keeping our excitement for Beyblades alive.

I can certainly understand the disappointment from that perspective. It disappoints me too on a personal level because despite the ease of online shopping, it is easier to pick things up in person for many people.

However, now that we are registered legally as a not-for-profit corporation (Fighting Spirits Inc.), we have an obligation to ensure that the activities associated with our platform are as legally sound as possible in order to protect not only the corporation, but everyone who uses our Platform as well.

By allowing things such as selling without regulation at in-person events endorsed by the corporation where there are enforceable local laws governing the sale of goods in public and private spaces, a variety of (however unlikely) legal liability concerns arise given that most sellers likely will be doing so without a proper license when required. This is dangerous for us, for the buyer, and for the seller.

It's important to note that this new policy doesn't outright ban selling; it merely requires it to be pre-approved beforehand by our staff if it is going to happen within a tournament venue for a WBO Organized Play event. We also have no jurisdiction over what happens outside of the tournament venue/area.
I’m confused. Could someone please give me a very brief summary of what these new rules are?
(Oct. 14, 2020  1:12 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Oct. 14, 2020  12:39 AM)AirKingNeo Wrote: But the article linked in this post that explains the law clearly states that something like pictures of Corocoro after its released would be totally fine. Or at least that's how I interpret it.

As with all rules, it's possible we may tweak it (and I hope we can) over time once we have a deeper understanding (from a lawyer) about the nuances of laws like this one. We are taking the stance of being safe rather than sorry with the introduction of these rules for the time being.

Paid content is paid for a reason; you have to purchase it to view it. When it comes to CoroCoro, it's not very difficult to purchase it from Amazon Japan these days either.

In any case, I'm fairly certain most (if not all) Beyblade news does get posted online from official sources eventually anyways. I don't believe there is going to be massive pieces of news that are lost because of the implementation of this rule.

(Oct. 14, 2020  12:43 AM)NiallI Wrote: This seems a little harsh. For some of the younger bladers, this is the only way that they have been able to  attempt to stay in the game.  Many have met friends through the marketplace at tournaments and those are the friendships that develop into a connection and obtain the latest beys.  I for one, have developed a great friendship with one seller and this is one of biggest reasons we have been collecting and keeping our excitement for Beyblades alive.

I can certainly understand the disappointment from that perspective. It disappoints me too on a personal level because despite the ease of online shopping, it is easier to pick things up in person for many people.

However, now that we are registered legally as a not-for-profit corporation (Fighting Spirits Inc.), we have an obligation to ensure that the activities associated with our platform are as legally sound as possible in order to protect not only the corporation, but everyone who uses our Platform as well.

By allowing things such as selling without regulation at in-person events endorsed by the corporation where there are enforceable local laws governing the sale of goods in public and private spaces, a variety of (however unlikely) legal liability concerns arise given that most sellers likely will be doing so without a proper license when required. This is dangerous for us, for the buyer, and for the seller.

It's important to note that this new policy doesn't outright ban selling; it merely requires it to be pre-approved beforehand by our staff if it is going to happen within a tournament venue for a WBO Organized Play event. We also have no jurisdiction over what happens outside of the tournament venue/area.

So no more product threads?
(Oct. 14, 2020  1:29 AM)Ryuga......Win Wrote: So no more product threads?

No, they are allowed as long as the images, videos, article transcriptions, or links within them aren't from paid or officially unreleased copyrighted material (such as a CoroCoro magazine). This doesn't include posting photos or videos of official Beyblade products themselves or posting photos shared by Takara-Tomy for free online.
Well i Cant say im happy with these changes. But i Do understand where the moderation team is coming from. I do hope we can share the corocoro pics after the release date of corocoro( im sure you guys must have thought of that) in the near future though
(Oct. 14, 2020  4:48 AM)Vtryuga Wrote: Well i Cant say im happy with these changes. But i Do understand where the moderation team is coming from. I do hope we can share the corocoro pics after the release date of corocoro( im sure you guys must have thought of that) in the near future though

As Kei and ~Mana~ said, these changes weren't expected to be received with open arms, but they will look into revising them if the WBO is in the clear regarding the copyright laws.
So let’s say I were to sell the day before the tournament in the area of the tournament a tell everyone where the tournament spot would be and then have the tournament next day would that be ok

I feel like it is a win win because people get the bets for the tournament and I would get to sell and also make sure things are cleared up so there are no problems the next day
Late to the party like usual hah.

But if we run an event at a game store like NC used to do, could we let the store sell for us? At one point they would sell merchandise for me and take a small percentage of sales. Like 5%. Would that be something that would be approved by the committee for future use?
(Oct. 25, 2020  7:19 PM)Dark_Mousy Wrote: Late to the party like usual hah.

But if we run an event at a game store like NC used to do, could we let the store sell for us?  At one point they would sell merchandise for me and take a small percentage of sales. Like 5%.  Would that be something that would be approved by the committee for future use?
Since the store presumably would have a business license to conduct the transaction legally, this should be fine and does not necessarily need an approval.  The store/venue is free to conduct its normal business of course.