Common Misspellings in Beyblade

German words as well as words from other languages having often been used in Beyblade. There has often been some controversies on how these words are atually spelled. A lot of misspellings have even transferred over to the Beyblade Wiki and from there it spreads further. The only German word that I've never seen being spelled wrong was Blitz (meaning "lightning"). Please keep in mind that this thread is not meant to offend anyone. I just want to clear some things up. Smile So here's a list of German words and names that are often misspelled:

1: Kreis - Kreis is often misspelled Kries. So first up: the word Kries does NOT exist. Kreis means 'circle' in German and is pronounced similarly to the English word "cries".

2: Flügel - This one isn't as drastic but still relevant nonetheless. Flügel is the German word for 'wing' and it can be written both with an 'ü' or an 'ue' but not with an 'u' since U and Ü are different letters in the German alphabet.

3: Sieg - Sieg is often misspelled "Siege" or "Seig" but instead it's actually spelled 'Sieg' which means "victory" in German and is pronounced like the english word "seek".

4. Ackermann - Yes, that's how it's spelled... with TWO N. I might be a bit nitpicking here but there's actually a huge difference. Ackermann is an old German family name meaning "farmer". After people that were named Ackermann moved to the USA the 'Mann' got changed to 'man' (both mean the same!) however Ackermann is the original German name and Ackerman is the americanized version. If you don't beleive me, here's the proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPqivJYRHdA (Credit for the video goes to Blader LK)

If you have any more misspelled names in Beyblade feel free (no pun intended) to reply. Smile

~ Sincerely TL14
On the Beyblade Wikia, Flugel is used instead of Flügel, because it can help with Search Engine Optimization. Let's be real here, when someone is trying to find info on the Flügel Performance Tip, they'll probably search it as "Flugel" instead. Also, I don't know if this could be an addition to your list, but maybe talk about how people are always putting the prefixes in for Hasbro's Evolution Beys that don't need it. There have only been three Beys so far that legitimately use it bc that's what on their boxes: Genesis Valtryek V3, Legend Spryzen S3, and Strike Valtryek V3. Every other Evolution Bey uses the abbreviation on their boxes, like Wyvron W3 (aka Tempest Wyvron) or Satomb S3 (aka Kinetic Satomb) for example. People are always slippin' out here by saying things like Tempest Wyvron W3, Berserk Roktavor R3, Alter Cognite C3, Kinetic Satomb S3, the list goes on and on, you know.
(Feb. 22, 2018  10:47 PM)kjrules17 Wrote: On the Beyblade Wikia, Flugel is used instead of Flügel, because it can help with Search Engine Optimization. Let's be real here, when someone is trying to find info on the Flügel Performance Tip, they'll probably search it as "Flugel" instead. Also, I don't know if this could be an addition to your list, but maybe talk about how people are always putting the prefixes in for Hasbro's Evolution Beys that don't need it. There have only been three Beys so far that legitimately use it bc that's what on their boxes: Genesis Valtryek V3, Legend Spryzen S3, and Strike Valtryek V3. Every other Evolution Bey uses the abbreviation on their boxes, like Wyvron W3 (aka Tempest Wyvron) or Satomb S3 (aka Kinetic Satomb) for example. People are always slippin' out here by saying things like Tempest Wyvron W3, Berserk Roktavor R3, Alter Cognite C3, Kinetic Satomb S3, the list goes on and on, you know.

Yes, I agree with you. Also thank you for taking your time to reply. If you search for an Ü will there only be results with an Ü or also a U? But the prefix problem is another problem. Also I wonder why people are CONSTANTLY changing Kreis, Sieg and Ackermann back to Kries, Seig and Ackerman. It's just not right! It's like changing Donald to Tonalt. It simply makes no sense in my opinion. Also many people think the German Team is called Top Vant while infact it's actually called Top Wand since Wand is the German word for 'wall' which is a reference to the fall of the Berlin Wall which marked one of the most important changes in the history of modern Europe. It could also be a reference to Alter Cognite's special move Eternety Launch where it jumps on TOP of the stadium WALL! Vant just doesn't make any sense. It has nothing to do with the team or the country.
(Feb. 23, 2018  6:47 PM)TL14 Wrote:
(Feb. 22, 2018  10:47 PM)kjrules17 Wrote: On the Beyblade Wikia, Flugel is used instead of Flügel, because it can help with Search Engine Optimization. Let's be real here, when someone is trying to find info on the Flügel Performance Tip, they'll probably search it as "Flugel" instead. Also, I don't know if this could be an addition to your list, but maybe talk about how people are always putting the prefixes in for Hasbro's Evolution Beys that don't need it. There have only been three Beys so far that legitimately use it bc that's what on their boxes: Genesis Valtryek V3, Legend Spryzen S3, and Strike Valtryek V3. Every other Evolution Bey uses the abbreviation on their boxes, like Wyvron W3 (aka Tempest Wyvron) or Satomb S3 (aka Kinetic Satomb) for example. People are always slippin' out here by saying things like Tempest Wyvron W3, Berserk Roktavor R3, Alter Cognite C3, Kinetic Satomb S3, the list goes on and on, you know.

Yes, I agree with you. Also thank you for taking your time to reply. If you search for an Ü will there only be results with an Ü or also a U? But the prefix problem is another problem. Also I wonder why people are CONSTANTLY changing Kreis, Sieg and Ackermann back to Kries, Seig and Ackerman. It's just not right! It's like changing Donald to Tonalt. It simply makes no sense in my opinion. Also many people think the German Team is called Top Vant while infact it's actually called Top Wand since Wand is the German word for 'wall' which is a reference to the fall of the Berlin Wall which marked one of the most important changes in the history of modern Europe. It could also be a reference to Alter Cognite's special move Eternety Launch where it jumps on TOP of the stadium WALL! Vant just doesn't make any sense. It has nothing to do with the team or the country.
I'm not exactly sure about the whole ü or u thing, I just know that "u" on the wikia is preferred. It might be bc people forget the umlaut (I think) and just put Flugel instead while searching.
I think Ackermann is kind of weirder than Ackerman so I prefer it. Also, I'm to lazy to hold the U and get Ü. But I usually spell Kreis and Sieg right. Also some people spell Xtreme as Extreme and Xcalibur/ Xcalius as Excalibur or Excalius. And also, Kukulcan and Orichalcum. People spell that wrong a lot.

There is also Cuza/Kuza/Cooza and whatever else.

Another thing is pronunciation. For example, Ker Bay Us or Ker Be Us. Seeg or Seej. Kukulcan or whatever they say. Jormungand or Jormungando. Orichalcum and whatever they say.
(Feb. 25, 2018  5:52 PM)ptf606 Wrote: I think Ackermann is kind of weirder than Ackerman so I prefer it. Also, I'm to lazy to hold the U and get Ü. But I usually spell Kreis and Sieg right. Also some people spell Xtreme as Extreme and Xcalibur/ Xcalius as Excalibur or Excalius. And also, Kukulcan and Orichalcum. People spell that wrong a lot.

There is also Cuza/Kuza/Cooza and whatever else.

Another thing is pronunciation. For example, Ker Bay Us or Ker Be Us. Seeg or Seej. Kukulcan or whatever they say.  Jormungand or Jormungando. Orichalcum and whatever they say.

Ackermann doesn't sound weird. Ackerman sounds more weird to me. Ackermann (roughly translates to field-man) is a German family name and as I previously said it later got americanized into Ackerman.  Also the German A (British A) and the English A (American A) are two entirely different sounds. And it's officially spelled Cuza and not Cooza because  the double-O as a U only exists in English as far as I know. Nor is it Kuza because Alter Chronos and Ackermann, Cuza have to start with the same initials since Cuza is 1. a new Blader that was introduced in Beyblade Burst God and 2. owns a non-generic god Bey.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people spell Alter Chronos wrong (Idk if I'm spelling it right either lol).
(Feb. 22, 2018  9:04 PM)TL14 Wrote: 2: Flügel - This one isn't as drastic but still relevant nonetheless. Flügel is the German word for 'wing' and it can be written both with an 'ü' or an 'ue' but not with an 'u' since U and Ü are different letters in the German alphabet.

To be fair, it's common in English versions of other language's words to simply drop the extra dots and waves and use the base letter. One may be more accurate to German, but I'd say this is a minor issue at best, possibly non-issue altogether. If you're writing in English, it's fair to write things in an English way.

For instance,  Düsseldorf as Dusseldorf. We don't write Duesseldorf.

Heck, only with my latest computer was I able to figure out an easy way to write such letters to begin with.

Edit: Looked it up, and Flugel and Fluegel are both valid English spellings. We have surnames for both, and we call it a flugelhorn. So I say this is a non-issue because Flugel is a valid English spelling.

(Feb. 22, 2018  9:04 PM)TL14 Wrote: 4. Ackermann - Yes, that's how it's spelled... with TWO N. I might be a bit nitpicking here but there's actually a huge difference. Ackermann is an old German family name meaning "farmer". After people that were named Ackermann moved to the USA the 'Mann' got changed to 'man' (both mean the same!) however Ackermann is the original German name and Ackerman is the americanized version. If you don't beleive me, here's the proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPqivJYRHdA (Credit for the video goes to Blader LK)

Well, if the images there in the video are the official namings, then that's all that matters, I'd say. The whole history lesson is not exactly proof of which spelling is for-sure correct, just puts more weight to which one would be more likely logically. But the Japanese creators could really go with whatever they wanted, if they wanted.

I say that as someone who has a first and last name that can come in multiple spellings. It doesn't matter what is more common or historical, if you don't spell it the way I do, you would be incorrect because that is not my name. That's just how names are. Things get tricky when you start trying to convert names into other languages and alphabets, though.

But I did like learning from the little lesson.

Edit: Looked up some more things. My bad, but better now. :)
In Bakuten Shoot Beyblade 2002/V Force Off the Chain opening theme, people on the internet that submitted lyrics to the song, and also Siliva (lmfao) spelled blasé as blazay. My girlfriend many times pointed it out to me, and was like "you got to get the fansubbers to change that."
Isn't pegasis' actual spelling pegasus but beyblade uses pegasis(at beyblade wikia does)
(Mar. 06, 2018  5:05 PM)XcaliburAhmad Wrote: Isn't pegasis' actual spelling pegasus but beyblade uses pegasis(at beyblade wikia does)

TT spelled it as Pegasis.
Free/Flee

Cooza is commonly misspelt as Kuza or Cuza.

Seen someone spell Sisco as Cisco.

Odin is actually spelt as Óðinn but since Odin is the English way of writing his name, it’s neither here or there.

Ginka for Ginga/Gingka, and Kenya for Kenta. Seen someone spell Ryuu as Rio before and Ryuuga/Ryuga as Raiuga. Those are mostly because of how they’re pronounced in the dub though. /:

Only ones I can currently think of.
...maybe because it's just easier to type "Flugel" than have to go to Google and copy-paste a German "U" whenever they want to talk about the part...?

I don't know why it's offending you so much, people do it for literally everything, and the message still gets across fine.
Tamale = Tamalé, sake = saké, doppelganger = doppelgänger, etc. Need I continue?

I'm on my phone atm, so it was slightly easier to spell, I'll admit. But computer keyboards don't work the same way. Not English ones, at least.