Career Choices, What Steps are you Taking?

I recently discovered that I enjoy Graphic Arts and Logo Design as well as design in general

Ill be sending my application to West Tech Graphic Arts Program,where ill be learning graphic arts for the next couple years

Im also being mentored by a former graphic designer now turned Jewlery/Clothing Designer/My Barber

Im hoping to get In and eventually be on the road to Graphic Fame!
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I need some help.

I'm going into 9th grade this upcoming school year, and when we went to the highschool (whole 8th grade did, it is across the parking lot), I chose business finance and personal finance. I'm not sure if that's right for me. I've been thinking about being a computer software engineer, but need to know like the basics of it. I know it's bad I want to be something that I really don't have any idea about, but I do know that you do something with computers. Please help me, I am a bit afraid for my future. I want to be financially successful. Please suggest jobs and what they do. I am willing to do physical things.
When you are really in doubt with what classes to take, I'd really advise talking to your school councelor. I was terrified to at first my 8th grade year, but she really helped me get a grasp of what I needed to do to get the degree I'm aiming at. Councelors are easy to talk to from my experience.

By the way, I took personal finance as an 8th grader and it's basically just a dumbed down version of economics which you usually take as a senior. If it's not what you want, you have another three years of high school to decide. No biggie.
Wow so.many smart people on the wbo i hope alot of you make it into the unis ur applying for. So many different ppl on here even aspireing nero surgeons its trulyy impressive

I myself am i 22 year old high school drop out who was only gud at boxing and athletics. After a few injuries my boxing career is over but u gota work with wat ya got im a personal trainier amd sports coach

My path isnt dun yet tho my plan is to gety teaching diploma and become a subsitute pe teacher or teachers aid

My advice to younger ppl on here is stick to your stenths guys never lie to urself u no deep down the limits of yourself, you have to always stride to push your limits tho. Be happy within yourself and your own achievements. Never doubt yourself if thers no enemy within the enemy outside can do me no harm

Bestvof luck to evryone on this thread hopfully youll all still find time to keel blading too Smile
(Dec. 09, 2014  10:58 AM)~Stoney~ Wrote: Sounds like a great plan, but you have to consider that the working conditions in Japan are very different. You have to work minimum 10-12 hours a day, sometimes until 11pm, and you have only about 10 days for holiday each year. As a man, you usually don't have time for family life, even if you're married and have children. Also, not being successful is not an option in Japan. It's very hard to live and work there. Nevertheless, if you're ready to work really, really hard, go for it and enjoy the probably most beautiful country in the world. Smile

Have you worked in Japan? Sounds like you're talking from (some pretty intense) experience.
Well when I get out of the military I plan on trying to get an internship doing risk asset management or stock brokering. I have a goal, my dad made too much for me to get a scholarship in my area. Told me to make my own way and become my own man. Haha best thing that has happened to me honestly. Gave me something to prove.
Personally, I'd like to enroll into some Video Game Design courses online, as well as learn coding.
I will probably take graphic design at school. Then, after high school I'll probably go to Full Sail University and take up Video Game design as a major.
What kind of games do you like to design?
(May. 15, 2015  7:56 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: What kind of games do you like to design?

Actually, I'm a tad torn.
I'd either make the traditional sort of JPRG like Dragon Quest, or possibly an action RPG along the lines of Mario and Luigi or MMBN.
Lots of interesting stories have been told so I thought I would tell mine.

So in my years of riding the English school system and not getting on well due to anxiety and panic attacks in the middle of 9th year (thats a whole other story to tell) I got through my GCSE exams with average results. I went to college and completed a 6 month course in ICT. After completing this I then started looking for Jobs within the industry and after a few unsuccessful applications I was offered a job in IT support. Now I am typing this from my own office about to finish my first year in the Job. If anyone can take anything away from my rambling on its this... However low you feel or life might seem its a roller coaster and you have no choice but to ride it!
(May. 19, 2015  5:20 AM)Neo Wrote:
(May. 15, 2015  7:56 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: What kind of games do you like to design?

I'd either make the traditional sort of JPRG like Dragon Quest, or possibly an action RPG along the lines of Mario and Luigi or MMBN.

You should start designing and making games right now Wink If you want to try making a JRPG, just use RPG Maker!
I'm 19, just finishing up my final year in highschool.

Yet my path isn't at all clear to me.
There are so many things that I want to do, but then there are things that I know are better for me.
Right now I am trying to become a chef, cooking is one of my passions. To do this I am working for a kitchen staff agency, currently, and try to take any shifts I can for line cooking to get experience for an actual job in that field. I would like to go to culinary school, or just college in general, but I just can't afford it at all Uncertain

deep down though, I want to be a singer (as cliche as that is). But good luck trying to do that ha!
So I've know I posted here before, but.

I'm still confused, and plan on talking to my guidance counselor.

But I would like some recommendations for jobs. I'm pretty tech savy, and I hate math. With a passion. So any way that I could get one at lets say google, apple, amazon, verizon, etc. with little to no maths needed majorly? Thanks.
Well, those companies are huge and have thousands of employees across dozens — if not hundreds — of departments. But you should probably focus on what you want to do, not who you want to do it for.
(May. 30, 2015  6:22 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Well, those companies are huge and have thousands of employees across dozens — if not hundreds — of departments. But you should probably focus on what you want to do, not who you want to do it for.

What fields in college would you recommend me going after then?
(May. 31, 2015  2:09 AM)egg shmack Wrote:
(May. 30, 2015  6:22 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Well, those companies are huge and have thousands of employees across dozens — if not hundreds — of departments. But you should probably focus on what you want to do, not who you want to do it for.

What fields in college would you recommend me going after then?

getting a small degree from a community college in technology or mechanics, and get apprenticed into fixing computers, washing machines, furnaces, or cars. Most people just buy new stuff now-a-days, but if anyone asks you to fix them, its hard-ish work, but good $$$.

OR..

If your schools have radio stations, you can try to do radio. its fun, i did the news a few times, and chose the music for a few hours. no math involved at all. just writing down logged times and stuff.
(May. 21, 2015  1:20 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(May. 19, 2015  5:20 AM)Neo Wrote:

You should start designing and making games right now Wink If you want to try making a JRPG, just use RPG Maker!

I bought a membership to a design course so I'll see what I can do there; but I need to learn how to properly sprite myself, then figure out RPG maker.
Thanks for the tip (:
I've narrowed it down, I think.

I'd like to be an orthodontist.

But, could I possibly become a general dentist, and at the same time be getting my degree and stuff to be an orthodontist? I'd eventually like to open up my own dentistry possibly. Also what courses in highschool do I take, and how long in school? Thanks
How do you get from information technology to dentistry? If you don't really know what you want to do yet, you don't need to rush it. At any rate, it's not going to matter that much what you take in high school as long as you do well. Follow what interests you.
(Jun. 01, 2015  12:21 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: How do you get from information technology to dentistry? If you don't really know what you want to do yet, you don't need to rush it. At any rate, it's not going to matter that much what you take in high school as long as you do well. Follow what interests you.

Well, I researched dentistry a bit - and I like the idea of it. I remember always going to the dentist and wanting to work at one, and the environment and work hours seem pretty friendly. And the paycheck, ohhh the paycheck.
(Jun. 01, 2015  12:26 AM)egg shmack Wrote:
(Jun. 01, 2015  12:21 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: How do you get from information technology to dentistry? If you don't really know what you want to do yet, you don't need to rush it. At any rate, it's not going to matter that much what you take in high school as long as you do well. Follow what interests you.

Well, I researched dentistry a bit - and I like the idea of it. I remember always going to the dentist and wanting to work at one, and the environment and work hours seem pretty friendly. And the paycheck, ohhh the paycheck.

Yeah Dentistry sounds fun but be prepared to be grossed out by some people...
Ugh.
Puke for cash, unless your stomach is strong.
(Jun. 01, 2015  10:19 AM)Neo Wrote:
(Jun. 01, 2015  12:26 AM)egg shmack Wrote:

Yeah Dentistry sounds fun but be prepared to be grossed out by some people...
Ugh.
Puke for cash, unless your stomach is strong.
I have a relatively strong one, i've seen things in my ventures into the deep deeeeeep internet. The horrors I've witnessed.
Currently my business partners and I have been conceptualizing a board game. We have a few bits on board design, but still finalizing on how the game plays out. My career path isn't as lavish as it sounds, being an entrepreneur can be seen as many things.
I will be a united states marine, and go to college after I become one. Once I get out I plan on getting an emt license and become a firefighter like my dad.