[Canceled] Assessing Interest in a Burst tournament in Maryland, early-mid 2019

Current Version:
Canceled. I no longer plan to become a tournament organizer. The Northeast and Mid-Atlantic have enough organizers as is apparently.

Previous Version:
I'm planning on running a Burst Standard tournament at Martin Luther King Jr Park in Silver Spring MD in March, probably Saturday the 16th. Date isn't finalized yet, the weekend days of the 16th/17th/23rd/24th also work.

---
Previous Version:
I'm considering hosting a tournament. I'm not quite ready yet, as I need to get some tournament legal beystadiums, and a venue (and the venue I'm looking at needs 3 weeks notice, of course), go over the rules a couple dozen more times, and stress myself out over the nightmare that is basic event management.

But don't mind that. Don't mind.

I am thinking of hosting a Beyblade tournament in Columbia MD, on a weekend, in the coming months.
Who is geographically close enough that they would be able to attend that tournament?
And what format would people prefer: Burst Standard or Burst Classic?

I need to determine how many people are interested, so I can book the right venue. (I'm starting to see why so many of these are run in parks during the spring and summer.)

Please don't ask me to host an HMS/Plastic/Zero-G tournament, I don't have any of those.

I am also wondering if there are other people around authorized and willing to help judge the event. We'd need at least one judge per beystadium, and ideally an extra for when the judges play.

To clarify, please Comment if you're interested and can attend. I can't tell if a "Liked" post is a person saying "I'm glad you're running a tournament in this region" or "I would be able to attend" or what the format preferences would be.
Hmm. No response. Well, guess it isn't meant to be for the moment. I can re-evaluate whether or not to do a tournament if 8 people express interest.
(Feb. 02, 2019  5:56 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I'm considering hosting a tournament. I'm not quite ready yet, as I need to get some tournament legal beystadiums, and a venue (and the venue I'm looking at needs 3 weeks notice, of course), go over the rules a couple dozen more times, and stress myself out over the nightmare that is basic event management.

I am thinking of hosting a Beyblade tournament in Columbia MD, on a weekend, in the coming months.
Who is geographically close enough that they would be able to attend that tournament?

I need to determine how many people are interested, so I can book the right venue. (I'm starting to see why so many of these are run in parks during the spring and summer.)

Please don't ask me to host an HMS/Plastic/Zero-G tournament, I don't have any of those.

I am also wondering if there are other people around authorized and willing to help judge the event. We'd need at least one judge per beystadium, and ideally an extra for when the judges play.

To clarify, please Comment if you're interested and can attend. I can't tell if a "Liked" post is a person saying "I'm glad you're running a tournament in this region" or "I would be able to attend" or what the format preferences would be.
Maybe I can go
(Feb. 02, 2019  5:56 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I'm considering hosting a tournament. I'm not quite ready yet, as I need to get some tournament legal beystadiums, and a venue (and the venue I'm looking at needs 3 weeks notice, of course), go over the rules a couple dozen more times, and stress myself out over the nightmare that is basic event management.

I might be able to go and if I go I can help be a judge
Okay cool, that makes... 2.
(Feb. 07, 2019  11:13 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Okay cool, that makes... 2.
FYI you only need 4 for a normal tournament and 8 for club format
My mom is looking for a venue. She spoke with Yami at the classic tournament and started looking yesterday. She maybe will know something next week. Maybe in my area, around College Park.

I want the normal tournament, but I don’t know what others prefer.
i have two passport players (my kids) who are interested

we are also in howard county md; i grew up in columbia

i have two (bb-09 type & bb-33 type) stadiums and could help out judging if necessary

however we'd only be interested in burst standard
we have zero interest for burst classic, and we wouldn’t come at all for that, respectfully.
HAH! That makes 3 votes for Burst Standard and none for classic. And considering RedPanda2 could judge and help with beystadiums, I think he gets a vote too, so that'd be 4. Alright, that's valid. So, counting myself, for players so far it'd look like

DeceasedCrab
CheetoBlader
BluePanda2
GreenPanda2
jackpotgodzilla

RedPanda2, did I get your kids account names right? Smile

for potential judges, it'd be
DeceasedCrab
RedPanda2 (possibly)
CheetoBlader (possibly)

Cool. I think I'll order a tournament legal beystadium, and try submitting my answers to the organizers quiz, then we'll see about getting this scheduled. We've already got enough interest to get this going. And I have a venue in mind (it's one of the community centers in the Columbia suburbs).
I could judge
I would come
I have 2 to beystadiums

Btw next December I will be able to host tournaments
(Feb. 09, 2019  5:38 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: HAH! That makes 3 votes for Burst Standard and none for classic. And considering RedPanda2 could judge and help with beystadiums, I think he gets a vote too, so that'd be 4. Alright, that's valid. So, counting myself, for players so far it'd look like

DeceasedCrab
CheetoBlader
BluePanda2
GreenPanda2
jackpotgodzilla

RedPanda2, did I get your kids account names right? Smile

for potential judges, it'd be
DeceasedCrab
RedPanda2 (possibly)
CheetoBlader (possibly)

Cool. I think I'll order a tournament legal beystadium, and try submitting my answers to the organizers quiz, then we'll see about getting this scheduled. We've already got enough interest to get this going. And I have a venue in mind (it's one of the community centers in the Columbia suburbs).
I will help judge if I come. Guaranteed
Huh I still exist. Tongue_out but hey finding indoor venue is quite difficult to find around here. I had high hopes for any of the card shop but their Sunday are always packed full of events.

If anything do DM me for any help or inquiry. March is coming near so we'll probably slowly move to the outdoors. (Hopefully there's not another flash mob of 70+ players again).
I would like normal format for the tournament
I contacted the venue but their rental management person is away until Monday, so I figure I'll heard back from them then.

For those who've already expressed interest, I'm thinking of Saturday March 16th, Sunday March 17th, Saturday March 23rd, or Sunday March 24th as potential dates for this. Are there any of those that would be better or worse for people? Again, venue depending. If all 4 dates are already booked, I'll have to push it back later.

I've ordered prizes! A random booster 12, 13, and 14. Should be here by tournament time. Plus a tournament legal beystadium of my own. So... that will probably get people to show up. I picked random boosters as prizes because I like the concept, and unlike prizes like Cho-Z Valk or Dead Phoenix which people might already have, there's less of a chance with that in a booster.

Yami, if you decide to attend could you give me some pointers on judging matches or just make sure I don't totally screw up? You're an organizer and I've been to 2 tournaments you've been at and I trust your judgment.
(Feb. 10, 2019  12:54 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I contacted the venue but their rental management person is away until Monday, so I figure I'll heard back from them then.

For those who've already expressed interest, I'm thinking of Saturday March 16th, Sunday March 17th, Saturday March 23rd, or Sunday March 24th as potential dates for this. Are there any of those that would be better or worse for people? Again, venue depending. If all 4 dates are already booked, I'll have to push it back later.

I've ordered prizes! A random booster 12, 13, and 14. Should be here by tournament time. Plus a tournament legal beystadium of my own. So... that will probably get people to show up. I picked random boosters as prizes because I like the concept, and unlike prizes like Cho-Z Valk or Dead Phoenix which people might already have, there's less of a chance with that in a booster.

Yami, if you decide to attend could you give me some pointers on judging matches or just make sure I don't totally screw up? You're an organizer and I've been to 2 tournaments you've been at and I trust your judgment.

Those dates sound good! If traffic isn’t too bad then I should be able to go. Those prizes sound great! Now I don’t have to use my money on random BEYBLADE! :p
I can probably come I live in New Jersey 3 hour drive I can bring my 1 Beystadium so see you there probably.
Probably Saturdays are best for me
(Feb. 02, 2019  5:56 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Current plan:
I'm planning on running a Burst Standard tournament at the Owen Brown Community Center in Columbia MD in March. Date isn't finalized yet, likely the weekend days of the 16th/17th/23rd/24th.

---
Previous Version:
I'm considering hosting a tournament. I'm not quite ready yet, as I need to get some tournament legal beystadiums, and a venue (and the venue I'm looking at needs 3 weeks notice, of course), go over the rules a couple dozen more times, and stress myself out over the nightmare that is basic event management.

I would like to attend! sounds fun
Unfortunately the venue has declined my ability to rent it for the tournament. They have no problem charging me large sums of money every hour, but they do have a problem with a WBO event charging a $5 participation fee, so I can't run a tournament there.

I will seek another venue, but I am not especially hopeful.

I'll go to the nearby park in the next few days and see if the gazebo area is level enough to play, or see if the building near the gazebo is unlocked. I just need some level terrain in a park, really.

I did contact a second venue, we'll see if this one is more welcoming a events with a small $5 entry fee.
I might considering going so I can destroy ur bey! -Avery
(Feb. 12, 2019  5:25 PM)Avery Purple999 Wrote: I might considering going so I can destroy ur bey! -Avery

That's a little rude. If you do attend, please be polite to the other attendees.

Okay, so, the second venue I was looking at is totally booked on the weekends. I'm officially giving up on indoor venues. I'm just going to hold it at MLK Park in Silver Spring. Tournaments have worked well there before.

I'm thinking let's just hold it on March 16th at MLK Park. What do you all think, March 16th at noon?
I can come Probably
(Feb. 12, 2019  7:20 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:
(Feb. 12, 2019  5:25 PM)Avery Purple999 Wrote: I might considering going so I can destroy ur bey! -Avery

That's a little rude. If you do attend, please be polite to the other attendees.

Okay, so, the second venue I was looking at is totally booked on the weekends. I'm officially giving up on indoor venues. I'm just going to hold it at MLK Park in Silver Spring. Tournaments have worked well there before.

I'm thinking let's just hold it on March 16th at MLK Park. What do you all think, March 16th at noon?
I  might make it still deciding because it’s a month away
(Feb. 09, 2019  4:08 PM)jackpotgodzilla Wrote: My mom is looking for a venue.  She spoke with Yami at the classic tournament and started looking yesterday. She maybe will know something next week. Maybe in my area, around College Park.

I want the normal tournament,  but I don’t know what others prefer.

Join us on the 24th! Just posted the Luinor Cup!
AirKnight, what the heck. Don't be advertising yer tournament in this thread! That's crass. I mean yeah, I'm looking forward to your tournament and all, but this is where I'm keeping people updated on the status of this other tournament I'm trying to get off the ground.

Right now I'm just waiting on whether or not my organizer's quiz gets accepted before moving forward on this. I THINK I submitted it but I haven't heard anything back. Can anyone confirm if the submission is there or not?