Buying a Gaming System

(Jan. 11, 2009  12:38 AM)NoMoreHeroes Wrote: I don't think you can turn it into a Phone with a Nintendo peripheral.

I meant with illegal software, etc. Take a hint. I doubt Nintendo would do something that cool.

Plus you don't even need to buy a gamecube anymore - people are giving them away. If I took every gamecube I was offered I'd have.....well, a whole lotta gamecubes. XD
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:44 AM)Roan Wrote: DS Lite averages about 14 hours on one charge, iirc.

Ah okay. I charge mine every night so it's not usually an issue for me. Unless I go camping. D:
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:44 AM)Sam Wrote:
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:43 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:38 AM)Sam Wrote: buy a gamecube

lmao
dude you can get them for $25 used

then just get some twilight princess and resident evil 4 and you're all set

to add to this, you can obtain one of those "zelda collector's discs" on ebay or something so you can have OoT, MM, etc
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:40 AM)Roan Wrote: ^ Dude I had a PSP Brite (2000 model) and it still only got around 6 hours of battery life, and that was with all of the settings turned down as far as they could possibly go.

Not exactly a shining beacon for portable gaming.

(Jan. 11, 2009  12:44 AM)Roan Wrote: DS Lite averages about 14 hours on one charge, iirc.

OP didn't mention DSlite. Said DSi.

DSi on highest Brightness: 3-4 hours
PSP 3000 on highest Brightness: 4 hours

Neither are shining beacons for portable gaming in that regard then.
Aqua: When you say you don't like violent games does that include all first person shooters? Because as much as I love the DS, if you're looking for decent shooters it has like 3. =_= What genres are you most interested in?

Also Roan: Missed that you were talking about the Lite. Anyone know the battery life for the Brick?
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:59 AM)Rocky Wrote: Aqua: When you say you don't like violent games does that include all first person shooters? Because as much as I love the DS, if you're looking for decent shooters it has like 3. =_= What genres are you most interested in?

Moon looks decent.

What? I have a DS too? So that means I actually have an well-educated knowledge on both handhelds? WHOA.
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:59 AM)NoMoreHeroes Wrote: DSi on highest Brightness: 3-4 hours

My DSi is on second highest setting, and it can go a good 9-10 hours.
Now I admit, the highest setting is really damn bright, it's basically a setting I would NEVER use, so I can see it being less than 9 hours, but I don't think I'd say 4 hours. Probably around 6-7.
(Jan. 11, 2009  1:02 AM)NoMoreHeroes Wrote:
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:59 AM)Rocky Wrote: Aqua: When you say you don't like violent games does that include all first person shooters? Because as much as I love the DS, if you're looking for decent shooters it has like 3. =_= What genres are you most interested in?

Moon looks decent.

Yes, yes! I was reading about this the other day. 8D I do hope it's good. Pinching_eyes_2
(Jan. 11, 2009  1:02 AM)NoMoreHeroes Wrote:

Moon looks decent.

What? I have a DS too? So that means I actually have an well-educated knowledge on both handhelds? WHOA.

Lose the sarcasm, it isn't funny.

I own(ed) both portables myself at one point in time. Get off your high horse.
(Jan. 11, 2009  1:04 AM)Crimson Wrote:
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:59 AM)NoMoreHeroes Wrote: DSi on highest Brightness: 3-4 hours

My DSi is on second highest setting, and it can go a good 9-10 hours.
Now I admit, the highest setting is really damn bright, it's basically a setting I would NEVER use, so I can see it being less than 9 hours, but I don't think I'd say 4 hours. Probably around 6-7.

"If you run the DSi on its highest screen brightness then you’ll only get around three to four hours' battery life. The DS Lite will give you between five and eight hours' play.

You’ll also have to be more patient with the DSi too, because it takes up to three hours to recharge. The DS Lite takes half an hour less."

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/03/...tery_life/

Site could be wrong. I don't own one too be sure. Since Japan-only right now.
date of that article is Oct. 3rd.
A little under a month before the DSi launched in Japan.
so things might have been tweaked a bit before launch.

But basically, I haven't tested its battery power on the highest setting, but at 2nd highest setting (basically the same brightness as the Lite), I can get a good 10 hours of playtime in before the power light goes into the red.

I was worried about the battery life before the thing launched (since I read articles like that), but it isn't too bad.

I do notice less battery than the Lite, but then again, I played my Lite at 2nd highest setting (which on the DSi would be the 3/5 setting)
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:12 AM)Rocky Wrote: Get a PS2. They're so cheap now there aren't many reasons not too. I nearly bought one the other day as an impulse buy until I thought it through and realised I could get a better deal on ebay.
I'm won't comment much on the PS3 versus the Xbox 360 as I don't own either so my opinions probably wouldn't be fair but I've been looking into that recently and I've decided that I'm gonna get an Xbox 360 (eventually).

As for handhelds, for me at least the DS Brick is the best. The DS Lite is prettier but it annoys me that the GBA cartridges stick out and it's not as sturdy. The DSi is stupid as I'm pretty sure you can get all of those things apart from the camera on the Brick and you wouldn't buy the DSi for the camera because as cameras go, it sucks.
The PSP is nice but there's the issue of battery life and I really dislike carrying around disks everywhere I go. D:

The PS2's are really cheap now and they're still making games for itJoyful_3

I agree, the problem with the PSP is that I'm also not the kind of person that would like carrying around like 15 disks for the games and movies.

I'm open to all games just not when their like overly violent and preferbly not rated M. First person shooters are always fun but I'm most interested in Action, racing, sports and stuff like kigdom of hearts, tombraider, etc. Smile
You do know you can [legally] download games onto the PSP, right? You can even download them directly from your PSP. Do away with those fiddly UMDs! Also, no one I know actually uses UMD movies anymore. They usually just rip their DVDs onto a memory stick.

Also, the genres you mention are notable on PSP. Action? Syphon Filter (although one may be M IIRC) Racing? Burnout Duh. Sports? Depends what you want. It has Soccer, Football, Baseball, and Basketball, but is slim on hockey. It also has Kingdom Hearts on the way. And two Tomb Raider games, with the newest one rumored to be coming soon aswell.
The Ps3 has a lot of exclusives coming to it in 2009 some in early 2009 and late 09 also I bet, that sony will lower the price for there systems but some of the systems they have out are bundles like the msg4 and uncharted bundle thats why you see them in most stores close to 500 dollars but thats the bundle a ps3 with a 40 gig hardrive is like 250 i think and the 80 gig is 399 and the 120 gig is i think 499 but it comes in a bundle thats the only reason why the 120 gig ps3 cost so much.

Me personal i believe that microsoft got a little worried about the ps3 and lowed its price, thats a good thing for them because they have every right to worry about sony and its exclusives i say by april or may the ps3 will lower there prices in a big way.

But all we can do here is give you advice on these consoles you want to buy, umm if you want to look in on the upcoming exclusives for the ps3 go to www.psu.com and check up on the ps3's updates and other things going on. Also the games they have and the exclusives that will be coming this year.
(Jan. 11, 2009  12:37 AM)Roan Wrote: I just want to say that I hate threads like this because they do nothing but feed fuel to the inevitable flame wars that will erupt over stupid console choices.

Bottom line, look at what each console has feature and game-wise and decide which one appeals to you most. You can't leave your decisions up to other people for the rest of your life. Wink

yeah this x1000
(Jan. 10, 2009  8:43 PM)FFX Wrote: I'll give you the summery of why to buy each system.

DS (not i unless you really like DSi ware).

So look, the DSi is the newest model, and yes, it's a great system. It's got a lot of upgrades, a camera, and voice recording and all of that. However, if you missed out on the amazing GBA series, then get the DSL. With the combined libraries of the DS and the GBA, you can play for years and never run out of great games to play. It's got a little bit of everything, it has great platformers, great RPGs, a few great racing games, one good shooting game, a few good fighting games, a few good beat up em/side scrolling games, a few good adventures games. It's great.

PSP-

Ok, so the PSP doesn't have as good of a library. Ok, so newer PSP's may never catch on to that awesome homebrew scene it had. There is a lot going against the PSP, but there are some great games too. It's got great visuals, it has some really killer RPGS, it has the really nice Monster Hunter franchise, it's got video and MP3 playback. It has some great games, but you definitely need to do your research first.

Personally I like the DS over the PSP.

PS3:
The PS3 has been slammed, and rightfully so. It's losing exclusives to the cheaper xbox360, and it's really hard justifying the high cost. However, free online, free WiFi is great for the system. It's a great blu-ray player, and it has some great games in LBP, MS4, Killzone, Resistance, SOCOM, and Motorstorm. Of those, you might probably only enjoy LBP and Motorstorm, and even then, that could be a stretch. Other exclusives you could enjoy include Hakuna Matata, and in the future White Knight Story.

Xbox360:
Ok, so it has better exclusives. It's got Halo, Gears, Fable, etc. Exclusives you might like better are Viva Pinata, Dead or Alive 4, Lost Planet, Rumble Roses, Banjo Kazooie, Fable 2, and Project Gotham Racing. The downsides are the paying for online play, and failure rates of the Hardware (i know it might be solved now but we aren't even like 2 years into the Falcon, lets give it a bit before we call it mission accomplished). It's a great system for this generation right now.

PS2:
Oh goodness what a great library it has. I mean wow. It's got a lot of RPGs, a few good fighters, the GTA series as an exclusive, and a crapload of games. I mean seriously. If you really just wanted an endless amount of games to play go get a PS2. If you want a next gen experience go for the Xbox360.

If you want, I can give you an overview of the Wii and why it could be a good option for you, but I noticed that you didn't put it on your list, so I won't. If you want me to however, just ask.
not that its a huge deal..but lost planet isnt 360 exclusive anymore. not that i t matter though, it's the 2nd most crappy shooter i have ever tried (Haze being number 1 lol)..its a shame too, because i thought the concept was awesome
get a wii60 Wink
dont get a handled,psp sucks cuz it is tring to play games like the console games and it sucks in it.
and the ds is good but ull get boared from it after a while,and u can play its games on ur pc,pm me if u wanna know how.
wii is for u cuz u said u dont want m rated games.galaxy is awesome,zelda is good,smash is superb.
and get a 360 to play some kool m rated games,i used to think like u(that m rated games suck)but after playing halo3 and GOW2 i realized they r so awesome.
btw i reached the finding maria part and it was sad Unhappy
(Jan. 11, 2009  3:56 PM)pegasis Wrote: dont get a handled,psp sucks cuz it is tring to play games like the console games and it sucks in it.
It doesn't suck. It's quite good. You can't expect it to be perfect because, obviously it's not a home console, but it does it better than the DS. And it's got quite good graphics.

(Jan. 11, 2009  3:56 PM)pegasis Wrote: and the ds is good but ull get boared from it after a while,and u can play its games on ur pc,pm me if u wanna know how.
You can do this for quite a lot of consoles but I don't think you should offer links here. And you won't neccessarily get bored of the DS because it has a massive library even when you don't include games by ubisoft and such. Uncertain

(Jan. 11, 2009  3:56 PM)pegasis Wrote: wii is for u cuz u said u dont want m rated games.galaxy is awesome,zelda is good,smash is superb.
These are however, the only good games. Only get a Wii if you can get one cheap, I don't think they're worth the price they are atm.
I'm not sure about the Wii. At first when people get the Wii their like really excited about it because of the new concept but then after a few months a lot of my friends are telling me that it sucks and that it gets really boring after a while.

@ Rocky:
The DS does have a hella huge library so its hard to get bored with it and I agree, the Wii price is a bit too high for what its worth.

FTR I'm not hating on the Wii, i'm just going by facts and what I hear from Wii owners.
Well I don't own a Wii myself but that's what all my Wii owning friends say too. Uncertain

Anyways, regarding handhelds, I think it's come down to this;
Get a PSP if you want many quality games, don't mind paying a bit more and have a plug socket nearby most of the time.
Get a DS Brick if you want a wide variety of games including games you can't get on home consoles, don't mind the lack of first person shooters, you aren't too bothered by not having the most amazing graphics and you have a lot of GBA games that you dont want to stop playing.
Get a DS Lite for the same reasons above and if you want a sleeker looking handheld that you are confident you won't drop much (the Brick is sturdier).
Get a DSi if you want the above, you don't feel comfortable buying a flashcard, you have no camera and you don't care about GBA games.
Wii lacks many AAA titles. Most of this upcoming year's games are games that are low key but should do decent because of its' install base.

Madworld
House Of The Dead: EX
Fatal Frame IV
The Counduit
Disaster: Day Of Crisis (Likely not coming to North America due to horrendous sales in Japan, and Europe)

Um, I'm literally drawing a blank on naming some more games. At least 2010 will/should have No More Heroes 2, and Dragon Quest X.
(Jan. 11, 2009  5:20 PM)Aqua_24 Wrote: I'm not sure about the Wii. At first when people get the Wii their like really excited about it because of the new concept but then after a few months a lot of my friends are telling me that it sucks and that it gets really boring after a while.

@ Rocky:
The DS does have a hella huge library so its hard to get bored with it and I agree, the Wii price is a bit too high for what its worth.

FTR I'm not hating on the Wii, i'm just going by facts and what I hear from Wii owners.

Ok whatever I say about the Wii will probably be considered favoritism from many of the posters here, but this is what I think about the Wii.

The wii is a great party system. I've never had so much fun with Brawl, MKWii, and it finally has a decent Rock Band platform to go along with an excellent GH:WT platform, although there is no doubt that the HD versions are better. The Wii is great to play with friends over, but if you are playing alone, there is a not a lot that it can offer. In addition, if you liked the shooters you play in arcades, the Wii is excellent for that. I've played House of the Dead, Ghost Squad, and i've had so much fun, it brings back memories of the arcade.

The traditional good games it has are Metriod Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, and probably Zack and Wiki. Not too much. So if you looking for a good 1player console, don't get it. If you want to have fun with people over and playing, then get it.
But all those party aspects are on the other consoles as well. The other consoles have things like DDR (Which Wii has), Time Crisis, Singstar/LIPs, Buzz, etc.

Also Okami, and No More Heroes, are pretty good games for Wii. Stay away from No More Heroes if you're afraid of M rated games though.
Well yes, LIPs and Singstar is something that the Wii is lacking in NA (joysound has just been launched), and Time Crisis is one game, the Wii has more pointer/lightgun shooters than PS3/Xbox360. DDR is one game, and it doesn't draw as well as it used too.
Just playing Devil's Advocate. Saying that it isn't really Party Console VS. Single Player/Multiplayer Consoles.
I get what you guys are saying about the Wii but I'll probably just get it later when the price drops or something cuz it can be fun with a lot of other people but its not like top priority.

Question about the 360: Does it still have that problem with the red ring of death?