Bleach

Hilariously enough, I went on the official Bleach Wiki to learn what Unohana's Bankai is supposed to be and this is what they wrote:

Bleach Wiki Wrote:Bankai: NOTE: UNTIL WE CAN GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING ON WHAT UNOHANA'S BANKAI ACTUALLY DOES, WE WILL NOT BE ENTERTAINING REQUESTS TO UPDATE THE SECTION, AS SUCH REQUESTS CAN ONLY BE ENTERTAINED THROUGH SPECULATION. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

So I'm not the only one that didn't get that at all. And if she really is dead, chances are we'll never really know... At least my sanity is sound.
Does anyone remember few hundred chapters back, iirc, when Aizen was still a captain, and was in the process of revolting, along with Gin and the blind captain, there were big fights all over Soul Society among themselves. Iirc, Unohana had her bankai, and it was a large animal (a Ray fish look-alike). It swallows the wounded, heals the wounded inside, and spits them back out after they're healed.
I guess that's her Shikai...

...And that her Bankai has absolutely nothing to do with her Shikai Uncertain
Soooo, this week's chapter is a very clashing and unsatisfying mix of 'pretty good' and 'pretty carp' bad'.

So, it seems Unohana really did die as we get one of those 'Death-Speeches-Inside-the-Head-that-are-Completely-useless-since-no-one-hears-it' that are sooooo typical of Kubo's stories it almost hurts, but we do have a pretty nice moment where Kenpachi urges her not to die, which is always nice. Also, a moment fans have been waiting for for freakin' years, Kenpachi HEARS HIS ZANPAKUTO. Now, the scene cuts before the sword (Which sounds surprisingly formal, polite and well-spoken, oddly) can tell its name, so maybe they'll make this thing where he can hear the sword's voice but just hears a blur when the time comes to hear its name, leading to another training with his Zanpakuto incarnation. This pretty cool death scene is, however, hindered by one little fact: WHY DON'T THEY GET ORIHIME TO BRING BACK UNOHANA TO LIFE?! Kubo covered why they can't bring back Yamamoto pretty well: His body was completely destroyed by Bach, there ain't nothin' to bring back, but Unohana clearly has a corpse that's intact, just heal that back to life!! Yamamoto was the one that had qualms about involving Orihime, a 'normal' human, in Soul Society affairs, but Kyouraku clearly has a different mind set on the matter if he was willing to give Kenpachi a carp load of power to defend the Soul Society, I think he'd be willing to get Orihime to just stand by on the prison floor above the one Unohana and Kenpachi are fighting on and, when the battlin' is over and one is dead, just hurry down and heal the loser. Seriously, Kubo doesn't have the luxury to back down now that he clearly introduced the concept of bringing the dead back to life thanks to Orihime when she revived a HALF-DESTROYED Menoly during the Hueco Mundo arc. Orihime doesn't even need a full body, just part of it, and Unohana was clearly mostly intact. HEAL HER!!!

Anyway, now for the 'Pretty carp' bad' part, we go back to Ichigo&Renji vs. The Asauchi and we see that, while Renji succeeded (Somehow), Ichigo has fallen, though he immediately gets back and yells at Ridiculous-Glasses-Dude when told he failed. Since he's still on his feet, feeling good enough to yell at people and that no more Asauchi are attacking him, I would think that would kinda... make him a winner too, but apparently not. And this, my friends, is complete, I repeat, COMPLETE bullsh*t. There is nothing Renji can do that Ichigo cannot. It's not even discussable, Renji is a freakin' ANT compared to Ichigo. Heck, Ichigo is the one, the ONLY ONE that managed to weaken Aizen while Renji got completely obliterated on every possible occasion! Renji SUCKS! He's a terrible character, plain and simple. But no, apparently, he gets to go on while Ichigo gets bitchslapped out of the King's Dimension. Yeah, I'm sure the freakin' MAIN PROTAGONIST of the series is gonna go back home and stay weak while a sucky secondary character becomes the new Big Cheese. I can't believe Kubo is even going there, no one buys it. Aaaaand it seems Kubo himself doesn't really buy it, as the Ridiculous-Glasses-Dude (Officially the character I hate the most) sends him to yet another dimension to 'Get back to his roots'... I'm guessing we might finally see Zangetsu, this time, but I'm also guessing Kubo will make us wait a bit more, maybe with a useless chapter where Isane moarns Unohana's death, or something (GET ORIHIME!!!)

Yep, Bleach is stiiiiiiill sucking.
I though Orihime couldn't bring "people" back ftom the dead. Mainly because after Shinigami die they do that "slowly turns into dust" thing. Sure if she was already there she could do some healing but by the time she gets there, Unohana will probably have faded away.
Dude, I have to disagree with you about the second half of the chapter, and this is why. Ichigo has received to many powers with no negative repercussions. His hollow powers were great because they presented a danger to him when used, his soul reaper powers could be used endlessly with no draw backs even though he broke Zangetsu in most fights, now he has to pay for that, the price being Zangetsu. I'm glad he failed the challenge because that adds more struggle to the story.
In theory yes, I would agree with you, but it's false drama. Cheap drama!

Come on, we all know Ichigo's gonna get his full powers back. It's not even a possibility that he'll fail, so just get over with it.
And now for a reveal absolutely everyone in the world saw coming:

Masaki was a Quincy. SHOCK!! GASP!! OMG!!!

Yeah, not very surprising. In any way, actually, Juha Bach had made the whole thing pretty clear, really. Interestingly enough, though, she's the one named Kurosaki, implying that Isshin probably had another last name, before (It's pretty rare for a man to take his wife's last name after mariage, especially in Japan, but I'm guessing it might have something to do with the story)

Basically, in this chapter, Ichigo is sent back to the real world and hangs out at Unagiya's (His boss) place, wasting WAAAAAY too many pages with her, but Kubo is probably pating, here. Isshin then shows up and he's the one to tell him that his mom was a Quincy. My advice: Stop wasting panel-time with boring characters like Unagiya and just tell Isshin's backstory, for Pete's sake!!
(Feb. 27, 2013  8:48 PM)Dude Wrote: Basically, in this chapter, Ichigo is sent back to the real world and hangs out at Unagiya's (His boss) place, wasting WAAAAAY too many pages with her, but Kubo is probably pating, here. Isshin then shows up and he's the one to tell him that his mom was a Quincy. My advice: Stop wasting panel-time with boring characters like Unagiya and just tell Isshin's backstory, for Pete's sake!!

I agree but I think theres something more to Unagiya, because she could see the Substitute Shinigami Badge (implying it's active, which I think it is), but it may just be that Ichigo's reiatsu affected her.
(Feb. 27, 2013  8:48 PM)Dude Wrote: And now for a reveal absolutely everyone in the world saw coming:

Masaki was a Quincy. SHOCK!! GASP!! OMG!!!

Yeah, not very surprising. In any way, actually, Juha Bach had made the whole thing pretty clear, really. Interestingly enough, though, she's the one named Kurosaki, implying that Isshin probably had another last name, before (It's pretty rare for a man to take his wife's last name after mariage, especially in Japan, but I'm guessing it might have something to do with the story)

Basically, in this chapter, Ichigo is sent back to the real world and hangs out at Unagiya's (His boss) place, wasting WAAAAAY too many pages with her, but Kubo is probably pating, here. Isshin then shows up and he's the one to tell him that his mom was a Quincy. My advice: Stop wasting panel-time with boring characters like Unagiya and just tell Isshin's backstory, for Pete's sake!!
The important parts were the facts presented, Isshin knows the Zero Squad, especially Ouetsu, Masaki had powers we have yet to see another Quincy with, and Isshin is almost guaranteed to be a Shiba. The next question is when was he a captain, it was either before Shinji or after the Pendulum arc, because Shinji doesn't recognize his reiatsu and the name Kurosaki holds no weight in the Soul Society. We also have to question how Masaki lost her powers. I liked the screen with Unagiya, because it was basically stated in the chapter that everyone else was in Hueco Mundo, and she was the only one who could snap Ichigo out of his obligatory depression. I'd like to see more development of her character if only just to prove the Fullbring Arc wasn't entirely useless.
But the Fullbringer arc was entirely pointless. You and I both know that.

You're being surprisingly hopeful, dude. That surprises me XD
Chapter 530 gave us some interesting information about be Kurosaki name and the dynamic between Masaki, Ryuken and Isshin, but I'm stuck on the image of the hollow which shares similarity with Ichigo's hollow form. This has to be a Vasto Lorde, it is the only regular hollow that can match a captain level shinigami like Isshin.
OMG..i was reading about ichigo dying and then i saw posts are from 2009;]...relieved...
So, the latest chapter...

Not much happens, really. We get some character development for Masaki but, as I'm sure you can all guess, character development for a DEAD character is kinda pointless, so I can't really care for her. Basically, Isshin is left facing a rather cool-looking Hollow, Masaki senses it and decides to go face it, despite Ryuuken's advice to the opposite, and Aizen, Gin and Tosen appear, wearing the same Spiritual Energy-cloaking cloaks (LOL) that Urahara had in the 200 years ago arc.

The only thing I like about the chapters these days, other than the fact that they're generally more pleasant than any chapters involving Squad 0, is that we see some more of Gin. Other than that, it's just kinda 'meh'...
Jesus, Bleach is insanely slow, these days! All that happened in this chapter is Masaki inefficiently attacking the mysterious hollow (Which Kaname insists must be called 'White', an interesting name since that was one of the prototype names for Bleach). Aizen basically came up with a pretty bullcarp excuse as to why Isshin can't use his Bankai: Because he's hurt, it'd put too big of a strain on his body. Yeah, whatever...

Masaki seems incredibly weak, using only Uryuu's very first bow. Kinda lame Uncertain Though she can use a mini-bow to shoot White once its gotten closer, but we all know that won't do a single thing.
A different translation said his body would crumble under the intense pressure which makes me want to know what Engetsu can really do. We see he can use his blood as a catalyst to spit fire, which is extremely reminiscent of the Gran Ray Cero. I also think Masaki is stronger than you give her credit for. She may be using a basic bow, but she is clearly packing much more power behind it than Uryu ever did. I have to give Kubo credit for bringing back the cloaks. This final arc has made a lot of mundane things extremely relevant. GO rewatch the first episode, Ichigo's bed has a Quincy symbol on it. I'm gonna re-read a few Fullbring chapters, I've heard both ways about the woman having to be pregnant during the hollow attack. Above all, I love Masaki, she just distanced herself from Orihime by miles in this chapter. She just let a hollow attack her so she could trick hims and blow his head off, just to help a complete stranger. No tears, just action, she said she wanted to help, then she actually helped. She didn't care that it was most likely much more powerful. Orihime has never acted like that, if anything Masaki is more like Tatsuki. I liked the chapter overall. I think Bleach is still on the upswing, and this arc might just out do the Soul Society Arc .
Well, it IS rather easy to be a better character than Orihime, really, but I agree Masaki is a pretty good character so far.

Except she's dead. And, as I said, character development for dead people is pretty useless. Unless they can be taken back to life almost whenever like in Naruto, but, otherwise, pretty useless.
So, in this chapter, we see that the Hollow has probably infected Masaki with his energy or something as she collapses on the ground and a hollow hole pops up in her chest. Ryuken, Isshin and an unconscious Masaki meet up with Urahara and bla bla bla we all know where this is going.

I just thought of something, actually: I mentioned Kaname wants the Hollow to be referred as 'White' but he's blind: How the hell does he know that the Hollow even has any form of white of him? Or that he has any black on him, if he's going for a contrast? Even if someone else told him 'That hollow is mostly black-colored' what does the colour signify for him? He's never seen it!

You gotta think of those things when you deal with a blind character, c'mon...
Possibly the Hollow's Reiatsu color?

Decent Chapter, gotta love Urahara's random appearances.
I thought so too, but Reiatsu is, in the context of the show, something you can feel, not see. As far as I know, Soul Reapers don't see Reiatsu as colors through a magic Sharingan or whatever, they only feel it, and you can be damn sure you can't feel a color.

But, if that's not enough to convince you that Kubo is just forgetting Kaname's freakin' blind sometimes:

[Image: Tosen_looking.png]

The blind guy uses binoculars. I know that takes place in a filler, but Kubo still had a hand in those.
Reminds me of his art style.. Messes up everything.

Fair enough Dude.
(Apr. 17, 2013  4:23 PM)Dude Wrote: So, in this chapter, we see that the Hollow has probably infected Masaki with his energy or something as she collapses on the ground and a hollow hole pops up in her chest. Ryuken, Isshin and an unconscious Masaki meet up with Urahara and bla bla bla we all know where this is going.

I just thought of something, actually: I mentioned Kaname wants the Hollow to be referred as 'White' but he's blind: How the hell does he know that the Hollow even has any form of white of him? Or that he has any black on him, if he's going for a contrast? Even if someone else told him 'That hollow is mostly black-colored' what does the colour signify for him? He's never seen it!

You gotta think of those things when you deal with a blind character, c'mon...

Whether they can see them or not, colors have the same meanings to the blind. He probably called him White in reference to the "pure" shinigami soul, regardless of the fact Aizen and Ichimaru obviously told him the holllow was black.

I really like this chapter, it actually makes sense. It is way more plausible for Ichigo to have hollow powers if Masaki was actually infected by hollowfication than if she was just attacked. On top of that, it makes sense because the Hollow was meant to spur hollowfication in soul reapers, something it failed to do because it killed every soul reaper it met. Masaki was bitten, not sliced, which is the only explanation for Isshin's lack of hollowfication as well. Finally, Isshin left SS without permission/Gentei Kaijou once more to talk to a quincy, when the "traitor" Urahara showed up to help. An even which I can almost guarantee will end with Aizen, or someone else tailing Isshin. telling Yammamoto, leading to what will no doubt be seen in Yamamoto's eyes as, A captain of the Thirteen Court Guard Squads conspiring with Quincies and the traitor Kisuke Urahara, possibly leading to sentencing by "Central 46", his powers being sealed and banishment to the real world. As for Misaki losing to Grand Fisher? It makes total sense. She learned Souken's Quincy ways, so she is on route to learn Letz Still not Volstandig, meaning if she ever needed to call upon the greatest technique she knows, then she would "forever" loose her Quincy abilities without losing the ability to see hollows. Kubo actually covered his carp surprisingly well with this one. Hopefully he doesn't write himself into a corner again.
But what does 'white' even mean to a blind guy? He doesn't know what it is! How can he associate it to pureness or something immaculate? He can't, he's blind.

And yeah, I'm guessing that's what we'll see happening pretty much to a T... Except it paints the dead Captain-Commander as a gullible fool ONCE AGAIN, trusting everything just about anyone tells him! I dunno, I might be overestimating myself, but if the same guy, that is Aizen, kept reporting betrayals all over the place, I'd get a bit suspicious. It's like 'Oh, you just happened to witness ANOTHER betrayal, Aizen? Well... That's... odd.'

Actually, I hope they don't go that way. I hope Isshin loses his powers in some other manner, decides to stay in the world of the living with Masaki and the Shiba clan loses its nobility rank because of desertion. Seriously, another 'Fake betrayal organized by Aizen' thing would just be redundant.
What I meant by same meaning is that Tousen has conversations with people on a daily basis, and they reference colors in conversation. So when someone mentions white and associates it with purity and black with evil, then that's all he knows, but that's sufficient to say, name a hollow he can't see based on the fact it had a pure soul. It's just a way of showing it isn't entirely implausible for him to have named it white on that merrit alone. In all honesty I think the only reason it is actually named Shiro is because that brings contrast to the name Kurosaki, and is a direct reference to Ichigo's inner hollow. Tousen being the only one who can't see the hollow is the only one with an excuse to name it white instead of black.
I could buy that... but it's still pretty iffy. Plus, it doesn't excuse the binoculars thing XD

And yes, it might be nit-picking, but it's justified nit-picking Joyful_3