Beyblade Burst Sparking Anime/Manga

(Feb. 27, 2021  6:34 PM)Jinbee Wrote: Our expectations shouldn't have to become "at least it isn't this bad season". While Burst is a toyetic anime and is aimed for a slightly younger audience, we should expect some level of quality for it. If we have to set the bar much lower for the Burst seasons to enjoy it, then what does it really say about your opinions on the Burst seasons?

Yeah, I've seen some people use the "at least it's not as bad as X season, therefore your criticisms are invalid" as a way to avoid addressing the issues with Burst. I won't blindly praise or criticise a season. I'll try to give both pros and cons, no matter how good or bad a season turned out to be.

(Feb. 27, 2021  6:34 PM)Jinbee Wrote: As for Sparking, this won't necessarily be my final opinion as it does have a few episodes left, and the most important ones. With that being said, Sparking is an awful season so far. It's hard to say if it's the worst, but it's up there at least.

I wouldn't say it's an awful season, but it's definitely a flawed season with a so many great ideas but lackluster payoff in some of those areas (e.g. Free's "revenge" on Lean, rushed character arcs).
I’ve come to a realization that Manga can’t be compared to anime. They’re just two different things only thing is that they share common characters (kind of like Yugioh GX)
(Feb. 27, 2021  6:34 PM)Jinbee Wrote: Our expectations shouldn't have to become "at least it isn't this bad season". While Burst is a toyetic anime and is aimed for a slightly younger audience, we should expect some level of quality for it. If we have to set the bar much lower for the Burst seasons to enjoy it, then what does it really say about your opinions on the Burst seasons?

Personally, even while keeping the fact it's aiming a slightly younger demographic in mind, I put a similar level of expectation of Burst as I would for MFB or the original trilogy, at least those saga's on average.

As for Sparking, this won't necessarily be my final opinion as it does have a few episodes left, and the most important ones. With that being said, Sparking is an awful season so far. It's hard to say if it's the worst, but it's up there at least.

I think Chouzetsu, while not great either, was way better, because Aiga isn't a flat one dimensional piece of trash main character like Hyuga is, and actually develops from a total jerk to being one of the most humble characters in the show (more specifically in his appearances in GT & Sparking).

Let this be understood though, Burst S1 & 2 are my favorite seasons of Beyblade period. Even though this show is targeted towards kids, those seasons reveal that good storytelling can be had even when the material is aimed at a younger demographic. Both of them were truly stellar pieces of work. The best of Beyblade for me personally. With each season that comes out I look for quality material, especially after having seen what it can be when done well, and I'm not going to make excuses when they drop the ball. Ever since season 3 started, we've gotten mediocre season after mediocre season, and it's just sad what Burst has been reduced to. Turbo, and Surge, were awful and Rise was just ok.
On the subject of Cho-z, if you watch it first it’s actually some pretty good stuff.
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:06 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: On the subject of Cho-z, if you watch it first it’s actually some pretty good stuff.

I saw Turbo and it's a mess, wether you watch it first or not. There are moments here and there that are good, but on the whole its a mess. Poorly written work is poorly written work regardless of what order you watch it in.
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:09 PM)Admiral W Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:06 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: On the subject of Cho-z, if you watch it first it’s actually some pretty good stuff.

I saw Turbo and it's a mess, wether you watch it first or not. There are moments here and there that are good, but on the whole its a mess. Poorly written work is poorly written work regardless of what order you watch it in.

Not really. It’s more organized than you think.
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:15 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:09 PM)Admiral W Wrote: I saw Turbo and it's a mess, wether you watch it first or not. There are moments here and there that are good, but on the whole its a mess. Poorly written work is poorly written work regardless of what order you watch it in.

Not really. It’s more organized than you think.

It's not. When you examine the season there are whole arcs you could remove that would not have any bearing on the story as a whole. That's messy, incoherent plotting. Not to mention the abysmal way they handled character in that season. An absolute mess.
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:18 PM)Admiral W Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:15 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Not really. It’s more organized than you think.

It's not. When you examine the season there are whole arcs you could remove that would not have any bearing on the story as a whole. That's messy, incoherent plotting. Not to mention the abysmal way they handled character in that season. An absolute mess.

They could just remove the intro arc and make Lui tournament longer that could make it actually good possibly. Also lots if random  tournaments and why did Aiger go to visit Laban he didn’t even get a new bey or anything wat.
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:55 PM)Eclipse Force Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:18 PM)Admiral W Wrote: It's not. When you examine the season there are whole arcs you could remove that would not have any bearing on the story as a whole. That's messy, incoherent plotting. Not to mention the abysmal way they handled character in that season. An absolute mess.

They could just remove the intro arc and make Lui tournament longer that could make it actually good possibly. Also lots if random  tournaments and why did Aiger go to visit Laban he didn’t even get a new bey or anything wat.

There were all kinds of random stuff that was completely out of place. Kitt is a good example of this. What was even the point of introducing him? He literally had no bearing on the overall story. The season was an unfocused dumpster fire.
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:01 PM)Admiral W Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  7:55 PM)Eclipse Force Wrote: They could just remove the intro arc and make Lui tournament longer that could make it actually good possibly. Also lots if random  tournaments and why did Aiger go to visit Laban he didn’t even get a new bey or anything wat.

There were all kinds of random stuff that was completely out of place. Kitt is a good example of this. What was even the point of introducing him? He literally had no bearing on the overall story. The season was an unfocused dumpster fire.
Getting click baited by the opening is acceptable it happens a lot, but he literally fight one dude. Doesn't even win.
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:05 PM)Eclipse Force Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:01 PM)Admiral W Wrote: There were all kinds of random stuff that was completely out of place. Kitt is a good example of this. What was even the point of introducing him? He literally had no bearing on the overall story. The season was an unfocused dumpster fire.
Getting click baited by the opening is acceptable it happens a lot, but he literally fight one dude. Doesn't even win.

He was just there. No real narrative reason. Just there.
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:07 PM)Admiral W Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:05 PM)Eclipse Force Wrote: Getting click baited by the opening is acceptable it happens a lot, but he literally fight one dude. Doesn't even win.

He was just there. No real narrative reason. Just there.

The manga he was just there too but it actually made sense, Aiger had just beat Valt and he was there to challenge the Champion. Who doesn't wasn't to challenge the champion.
Honestly i'll give Turbo a 9.1/10. The last 10-15 episodes were really good. And the villain is super good.
[font="Source Sans Pro", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I think Turbo had the dumbest villain of them all. A guy who consciously destroys beys because he didn’t get the bey he wanted as a child? I get that this is a kids show but please, they could have done better.[/font]
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:35 PM)Zeutron Wrote: I think Turbo had the dumbest villain of them all. A guy who consciously destroys beys because he didn’t get the bey he wanted as a child? I get that this is a kids show but please, they could have done better.

You do realize that that was when he was a kid? His motives could’ve changed for all we know. I do feel like the evidence presented is very loosely based.
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:38 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:35 PM)Zeutron Wrote: I think Turbo had the dumbest villain of them all. A guy who consciously destroys beys because he didn’t get the bey he wanted as a child? I get that this is a kids show but please, they could have done better.

You do realize that that was when he was a kid? His motives could’ve changed for all we know. I do feel like the evidence presented is very loosely based.

If it wasn’t meant to mean something we never would have seen it. At least when sparking gave us a mindless animal as an antagonist they tried to go about it in a different way.

Yeah based, based on Turbo being a dumpster fire.

ha ha gottem
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:38 PM)Zeutron Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:38 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: You do realize that that was when he was a kid? His motives could’ve changed for all we know. I do feel like the evidence presented is very loosely based.

If it wasn’t meant to mean something we never would have seen it.

It was to show how Phi and Hyde are connected and give a back story to explain bitter bonds. Also something doesn’t add up with that in that why break all these other beys to try and get hades? Why not go straight to Hyde
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:40 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:38 PM)Zeutron Wrote: If it wasn’t meant to mean something we never would have seen it.

It was to show how Phi and Hyde are connected and give a back story to explain bitter bonds. Also something doesn’t add up with that in that why break all these other beys to try and get hades? Why not go straight to Hyde

"Bitter bonds" he didn't get the bey he wanted who cares

Phi is menacing but also pretty boring due to his character motivation as a child. So what, being evil for the sake of being evil when he's older? Cool, even Lean had better reasons than that.
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:40 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:38 PM)Zeutron Wrote: If it wasn’t meant to mean something we never would have seen it.

That’s exactly why it’s horrible. That was meant to be his anime backstory. It’s also why at the end of the anime him and Hyde agree that they were doing something wrong with their dark resonance. The idea behind his character is that he is a spoiled brat who likes to ruin things for others.
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:47 PM)Achilles25 Wrote: season 1 is the worst season honestly

Season 1&2 are the best seasons. Main and side characters grew and changed through character arcs. Each of the arcs in both seasons were integral and flowed naturally one into the next. We had a main character who acutally had to work at achieving his goals, instead of winning vis Deus Ex Machina foolishness. And the setbacks he suffered made his wins all the more enjoyable. Season 1 was fantastic. Both that and Evolution are the best burst seasons by far.
Season 1 was 7/10 for me. Evolution was 8/10 4 me.
(Feb. 27, 2021  8:47 PM)Achilles25 Wrote: season 1 is the worst season honestly

i can get that. season 2 was when the plot kicked off.