BEYBLADE WAR ROOM - Toronto Beyblade Tournament! MAY 23 2009

on
Hosted by
Contact Host
Format

Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
cash  

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

BEYBLADE WAR ROOM
SATURDAY, MAY 23, 2009
Anime North 09 @ The Renaissance Hotel
Golden Delicious Room

9 AM - Free Battle and Set Up
10 AM - "Beyblade 101" Workshop
11 AM - Free Battle and Registration for Beyblade War Room
12 PM - Beyblade War Room Tournament

The fire of BeyBattle still burns in the hearts of Bladers everywhere, and they'll all be coming to BEYBLADE WAR ROOM at ANIME NORTH 2009! If you haven't seen it yet, come visit us to learn all about METAL FIGHT BEYBLADE! We'll be hosting an overview and strategy of Beyblade presentation entitled BEYBLADE 101, and then we'll be taking registration for the BEYBLADE WAR ROOM tournament!

No Beyblade? No problem! We have loads of Metal Fight Beyblades with us and you'll be able to draft the parts to form a full Beyblade, then play and trade with other Bladers before the tournament to hone your skills!

So whether you're a veteran Blader looking for the next big competition, or someone new who is simply wondering how the heck a spinning top could be strategic and competitive, stop by! We'd love to see you there!

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

I'm seriously going to start an account for Nemesis.
Get that guy postin' for real.

And Danny, that Naruto kid with the illegal plastic.
(May. 26, 2009  3:09 AM)Crimson Wrote: I'm seriously going to start an account for Nemesis.
Get that guy postin' for real.

And Danny, that Naruto kid with the illegal plastic.
Yo, you better not be dissin' Danny. He had skills. :o For an 11 year old, he was beastin'.

Maybe Nemesis willshare his secret Beyblade cutting technique.
(May. 25, 2009  11:26 PM)Kei Wrote: sinsforlife

dynamicuno

And Aqua, a video will be made. I have around 20 videos myself, but I haven't uploaded them yet.

His DJ name!

(May. 25, 2009  10:39 PM)Roan Wrote: lightning starfish

[Image: 5076794.jpg] It's not his email... lightning starfish is a long running joke...

(May. 25, 2009  3:50 PM)Rocky Wrote: Rock Leooooooneeee~ Unhappy

Lmfao, at that Brad pic. XD Who's the kid with the goggles? He's cute. And Khel, you look fly in the Anubis/Khel/Roan pic. XD

carp, really? Ow my ego Unhappy I AM WEARING A GIRLS SHIRT Unhappy Why am I not wearing my hat in that picture. And why are all of those shots so ugly. We are not ugly people Unhappy

We need to come up with a better battle system next year. Whatever was going on this year was super stressful and lasted way too long. I don't think I was cheated out of a victory or anything, but I really felt I should have advanced further.

I'm really sorry that I was stressed out and kept bailing on you guys early, but I was at the convention for more than just Beyblade and it was super difficult trying to balance out where I spent my time.

I hope some of the Toronto/NorthEast crew can get together again even before the next big WBO tournament. As always, you guys are a lot of fun to be with Smile
lol I had alot of fun at the tourny it was the first time in years since I have actually launched a blade XD I kept going out of the stadium XD.

and I have to say that was the first time in my life that people wanted to keep taking pics of my eyes o.O
(May. 26, 2009  4:24 PM)Minion Wrote: We need to come up with a better battle system next year. Whatever was going on this year was super stressful and lasted way too long. I don't think I was cheated out of a victory or anything, but I really felt I should have advanced further.
I volunteer to organize this. It was because all of the WBO members signed up at once and everyone else was scattered. I pointed that out in the beginning, but I s'pose it would have been too much work. That's why I took over the elimination round by lunging at people with my eyes closed to randomize it.

I think we need to come up with preset tournament layouts to use for tournaments - each one for a give amount and tournament format. I can do this if no one objects.
(May. 26, 2009  4:24 PM)Minion Wrote: carp, really? Ow my ego Unhappy I AM WEARING A GIRLS SHIRT Unhappy Why am I not wearing my hat in that picture. And why are all of those shots so ugly. We are not ugly people Unhappy

Don't make me feel bad! I was just skimming the pictures really fast. Pinching_eyes_2 Honestly, if I go back and look at it again, it's clear you're a girl. A pretty cute girl. :X
(May. 26, 2009  4:24 PM)Minion Wrote: We need to come up with a better battle system next year. Whatever was going on this year was super stressful and lasted way too long. I don't think I was cheated out of a victory or anything, but I really felt I should have advanced further.

It was standard Double Elimination. Some management errors due to my unfamiliarity with this format caused some hiccups and I totally take responsibility for those, but if you're upset because you faced a strong Blader in the first round, seriously ... get over it.

What if they had been randomized and you'd still ended up fighting the same person? In the end, you have to take responsibility for your loss.

I would've used a list randomizer but we had no wi-fi access. We did the best we could with the resources we had.

As for taking too long ... there were a lot of entries, limited space, and limited judges. Again, we did the best we could. There was no more room for more matches going at the same time. I'm not sure what you wanted us to do. We could have done single elimination, but then you'd complain of being eliminated after one loss ...

(May. 26, 2009  5:21 PM)Deikailo Wrote: I volunteer to organize this. It was because all of the WBO members signed up at once and everyone else was scattered. I pointed that out in the beginning, but I s'pose it would have been too much work. That's why I took over the elimination round by lunging at people with my eyes closed to randomize it.

I think we need to come up with preset tournament layouts to use for tournaments - each one for a give amount and tournament format. I can do this if no one objects.

While we all sincerely appreciate your efforts and success at helping BWR end smoothly, I would also sincerely ask that you not undermine our efforts this way. I understand what you're saying, totally, but as I must restate again, we did the best we could under the circumstances and it hurts me a lot to see people complaining about an event I spent hundreds of dollars and hours preparing because it wasn't up to their standards. All said, I think we did a really good job.

Tournament management, especially in an environment as hectic as BWR was, is not easy for anyone, particularly for people who aren't exactly professionals at this. So we take every year as a lesson and apply what we learned to next year. So feel free to give your advice, but don't act like the event was somehow inadequate, because it truly wasn't.
(May. 26, 2009  2:49 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: kei i'll use your videos just upload them to MU or something

Will do.
(May. 26, 2009  4:24 PM)Minion Wrote: carp, really? Ow my ego Unhappy I AM WEARING A GIRLS SHIRT Unhappy Why am I not wearing my hat in that picture. And why are all of those shots so ugly. We are not ugly people Unhappy

I hope some of the Toronto/NorthEast crew can get together again even before the next big WBO tournament. As always, you guys are a lot of fun to be with Smile

My shots aren't ugly. Unhappy My favourite of the ones I took was probably that one of you! Haha.

Khel and myself have talked about getting a tournament set up sometime this summer, possibly in July. We just are not sure of a suitable venue yet.

(May. 26, 2009  5:21 PM)Deikailo Wrote: I volunteer to organize this. It was because all of the WBO members signed up at once and everyone else was scattered. I pointed that out in the beginning, but I s'pose it would have been too much work. That's why I took over the elimination round by lunging at people with my eyes closed to randomize it.

Yeah. There is no way Khel vs. Anubis or something similar would have happened in the first round had things been randomized. It was kind of confusing as well because I had a match where I won 3-0, but shortly afterwards it was disregarded and for some reason I was forced into a three way Round Robin to see who got the final spot in the Block A. Even though I won and proceeded, it was still an unfortunate situation, and would have been worse had I lost.

I still do not understand how some of the match ups were made after the first couple rounds.

Edit: Read your post Brad; I hope it doesn't sound like I am criticizing yours and others efforts organizing the tournament. It must have been extremely difficult under the hectic setting, and I am happy that it did turn out well!
(May. 27, 2009  1:18 AM)Kei Wrote: Yeah. There is no way Khel vs. Anubis or something similar would have happened in the first round had things been randomized. It was kind of confusing as well because I had a match where I won 3-0, but shortly afterwards it was disregarded and for some reason I was forced into a three way Round Robin to see who got the final spot in the Block A. Even though I won and proceeded, it was still an unfortunate situation, and would have been worse had I lost.

I'm not sure you understand how randomization works ... there still would've been a chance for that.

You guys are complaining about something we already understand wasn't ideal ... again I say, we did the best we could with the resources we had ... I thought we would have WiFi but we were not given access to it.

And again I say, you must take responsibility for your losses.
(May. 27, 2009  1:22 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I'm not sure you understand how randomization works ... there still would've been a chance for that.

You guys are complaining about something we already understand wasn't ideal ... again I say, we did the best we could with the resources we had ... I thought we would have WiFi but we were not given access to it.

And again I say, you must take responsibility for your losses.

Of course I do. I am just saying that it is usually preferable to have the best competitors face each other in the finals, not the first round! Due to the way the tournament was set up however, this wasn't a problem.

Yeah, I heard you mention that at the tournament. I completely understand, and you guys did do a great job with what you had available. It is just unfortunate that you didn't have a randomizer, among other things.
(May. 27, 2009  1:25 AM)Kei Wrote: Of course I do. I am just saying that it is usually preferable to have the best competitors face each other in the finals, not the first round! Due to the way the tournament was set up however, this wasn't a problem.

You're right, it's preferable to have all the strongest competitors fight in the final rounds ... but that would be manually separating the strongest players, not randomization. Besides, it was double elimination, with everyone having a chance at the top title, so I don't even see how this was an issue at all.
(May. 27, 2009  1:16 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: It was standard Double Elimination. Some management errors due to my unfamiliarity with this format caused some hiccups and I totally take responsibility for those, but if you're upset because you faced a strong Blader in the first round, seriously ... get over it.

What if they had been randomized and you'd still ended up fighting the same person? In the end, you have to take responsibility for your loss.

I would've used a list randomizer but we had no wi-fi access. We did the best we could with the resources we had.

As for taking too long ... there were a lot of entries, limited space, and limited judges. Again, we did the best we could. There was no more room for more matches going at the same time. I'm not sure what you wanted us to do. We could have done single elimination, but then you'd complain of being eliminated after one loss ...

While we all sincerely appreciate your efforts and success at helping BWR end smoothly, I would also sincerely ask that you not undermine our efforts this way. I understand what you're saying, totally, but as I must restate again, we did the best we could under the circumstances and it hurts me a lot to see people complaining about an event I spent hundreds of dollars and hours preparing because it wasn't up to their standards. All said, I think we did a really good job.

Tournament management, especially in an environment as hectic as BWR was, is not easy for anyone, particularly for people who aren't exactly professionals at this. So we take every year as a lesson and apply what we learned to next year. So feel free to give your advice, but don't act like the event was somehow inadequate, because it truly wasn't.
This isn't what I wanted to say at all. Brad, you could have done my job easily had you not been weighed down by the tasks of setting up, signing up, directing attendees, and judging. I was just the one that wasn't stressed out. And thank you for letting me help. I really like feeling useful. Smile

I would really love to make a tournament standard system. Like a pdf file for all possible tournament combinations, tha way we don't have to think last minute. That's all I really meant to say.

To all of those who lost out early, look who you lost to. You lost to really good bladers. I feel really inadequate with my rank because I didn't face any bladers with recent experience until Kei and Khel. I would have been honoured to lose to Anubis (which is why most of my battles are against him), Kei, Khel, or any other WBO member no matter what time of the tournament. I'd be proud of myself that I could rise to the challenge, and not have to grind beypoints to make myself look good.

But at least Brad got my winning Beypoints afterward. xD

This whole tournament was amazing because WE did it. Not Hasbro, not Takara, WE got 37 people to participate in a hobby that's not even out yet. WE beat SS Brawl. Even if we were disorganized, I think anyone would be after having more than double your expected player amount. We did great with the overwelming turnout. I'm just shocked that we could get that many people.
The tournament guides really do need more standardization. It was rushed and I didn't prepare for a lot of situations.
(May. 27, 2009  2:09 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: The tournament guides really do need more standardization. It was rushed and I didn't prepare for a lot of situations.
Could I volunteer to do this? It's mostly just time versus actual thought. Gives you a window do to more involved projects like actually starting events, running the contests on here, etc. lol I don't mind helping you out and giving you a break.
(May. 27, 2009  2:18 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Could I volunteer to do this? It's mostly just time versus actual thought. Gives you a window do to more involved projects like actually starting events, running the contests on here, etc. lol I don't mind helping you out and giving you a break.

go nuts
(May. 27, 2009  1:16 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: It was standard Double Elimination. Some management errors due to my unfamiliarity with this format caused some hiccups and I totally take responsibility for those, but if you're upset because you faced a strong Blader in the first round, seriously ... get over it.

nono, I lost my battles fair and square, I was just confused as to how the system worked. Argh, I don't really know how to express what I felt was wrong with it Pinching_eyes

I think it was mostly the length of time everything took, I felt like some people were getting way more battles than others..? I suppose refelecting back, this wassn't the case and things were just moving slowly due to numbers...

(May. 27, 2009  1:18 AM)Kei Wrote: My shots aren't ugly. Unhappy My favourite of the ones I took was probably that one of you! Haha.

I just meant that we all have goofy expressions Tongue_out
(May. 27, 2009  5:55 AM)Minion Wrote: nono, I lost my battles fair and square, I was just confused as to how the system worked. Argh, I don't really know how to express what I felt was wrong with it >_<

In that case, I can't take your criticism seriously, because you don't know what you're talking about. It was a double elimination tournament. If you lost twice, you were eliminated.
(May. 27, 2009  5:55 AM)Minion Wrote: nono, I lost my battles fair and square, I was just confused as to how the system worked. Argh, I don't really know how to express what I felt was wrong with it Pinching_eyes

I think it was mostly the length of time everything took, I felt like some people were getting way more battles than others..? I suppose refelecting back, this wassn't the case and things were just moving slowly due to numbers...
Some people did have more battles, but that was because we had to fix the brackets using round robins. Also, there were a lot of people that failed to announce that they were still present and in the tournament when I counted 24. I recounted 27 after I figured out how to pair everyone up, and that screwed it up again. It's amaxing how some people don't understand the concept of a single file line.

*vents*
Will the next tournament in Toronto be next year, or will there be one before then too?

And are all tournaments now pretty much just MFB?
It will be the same time next year. And, yeah, they are all MFB now, unless not all players have access to them.
(May. 27, 2009  10:28 PM)Pichuscute Wrote: It will be the same time next year. And, yeah, they are all MFB now, unless not all players have access to them.

Are you the only person who ever reads my posts? :\ I'm sensing an odd pattern. Tired
(May. 27, 2009  10:25 PM)Pepe le Penguin Wrote: Will the next tournament in Toronto be next year, or will there be one before then too?

Considering that Hasbro launches MFB next year, it's going to be pretty much standard. The next event will be on May 29, 2010.
No, I'm just faster than them...we are always on at the same time cuz we're in the same time zone, too. XD
EDIT: May 29th?
(May. 27, 2009  10:25 PM)Pepe le Penguin Wrote: Will the next tournament in Toronto be next year, or will there be one before then too?

There could be tournament before the one next year if somone decides to organize one.
(May. 27, 2009  10:38 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Considering that Hasbro launches MFB next year, it's going to be pretty much standard. The next event will be on May 29, 2010.

Thats forever away Unhappy Oh well....

Brad, you probably get asked this a lot, but do you have another job? Or have you like inherited millions, and that's why you can afford fancy hairdos and can be on WBO so much?