Avatar: The Last Airbender (SPOILERS IN HERE)

Bey Brad Wrote:you're right we shouldn't criticize things that are very obviously wrong

(Jun. 26, 2009  7:04 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: However, to say that we shouldn't voice our opinions about things we can't change is pretty insane.

You're taking what I say out of context and sensationalizing it, as usual.

I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion about something if it won't amount to anything. What I'm saying is that there is a certain threshold where voicing an opinion crosses over from being a good thing to being annoying and borderline whining.

The whole deal with the cast of The Last Airbender leapt over that line ages ago. The movie is well into production, the cast isn't going to change, so what's the point in continuing to complain about it? If you are really that disgusted with the casting decision there is only way real way to voice that -- vote with your wallet. Don't go see the movie, and convince others not to.

Posting about how wrong it is on a message board just seems absolutely pointless to me. If you are really that unhappy about it, why not take action? There's nothing worse in my eyes than someone sitting by and bitching about something without doing anything to combat it themselves.
To be honest there's a good chance I won't see this movie. Lips_sealed
Well, as much as I would like to deny myself seeing it, I've waited to damn long not too.
Avatar is what? 5 years old? That isn't a long time to wait. You make it seem like you've wait 22 years or something.
(Jun. 26, 2009  6:18 PM)Roan Wrote: The rampant hate from the fanbase of this show over pretty much everything concerning the movie is really grating on my nerves.

If you think this is bad then you should have seen the reactions from the Transformers, and DragonBall fanbases when the first shreads of information came out about those movies ("GoKu'S an ALIEN, BUT HE CAN'T BE PLAYED BY SOME WHITE GuY fRoM CanADA").
To play Devil's Advocate here, saying the characters in Avatar can only be properly played by Asians is just as racist as putting out a casting call that specifically asks for Caucasians. What should matter is the story and how well the actors portray the characters, regardless of their race.

That being said, I'd be pretty up in arms if, say, Samuel L. Jackson got cast as Aang...
(Jun. 27, 2009  8:55 PM)Spinster Wrote: To play Devil's Advocate here, saying the characters in Avatar can only be properly played by Asians is just as racist as putting out a casting call that specifically asks for Caucasians. What should matter is the story and how well the actors portray the characters, regardless of their race.

the issue isn't that all the characters aren't asian, it's that shyamalan specifically solicited caucasians for almost every role
(Jun. 27, 2009  8:55 PM)Spinster Wrote: To play Devil's Advocate here, saying the characters in Avatar can only be properly played by Asians is just as racist as putting out a casting call that specifically asks for Caucasians. What should matter is the story and how well the actors portray the characters, regardless of their race.

That being said, I'd be pretty up in arms if, say, Samuel L. Jackson got cast as Aang...

+1

They're not awfully different from their Cartoon counterparts, does it really matter what Race they are? Because I really don't see the huge issue about it, its pretty stupid.
(Jun. 28, 2009  5:57 AM)Sega Wrote: +1

They're not awfully different from their Cartoon counterparts, does it really matter what Race they are? Because I really don't see the huge issue about it, its pretty stupid.

ughh for god's sake it's not the issue of the character's races, it's the fact that they SPECIFICALLY LOOKED FOR CAUCASIANS

it would be bad if ANY movie did this but the fact that the movie is based on a series utterly and entirely based on asian culture makes it even more despicable
(Jun. 28, 2009  6:26 AM)Sega Wrote: Its a Cartoon, not reality.

[Image: cleveland.jpg]

he's not black! he's a cartoon character!!
Even if your not a fan of the cartoons, and think that the movie will be carp, you should remember that M. Night Shyamalan is making the movie. If thats not enough reason to give the movie a chance, then take a look at this. http://last-airbender-trailer.blogspot.com/
Shamalongadingdong isn't exactly a selling point for me in regards to this movie.
I think Shyamalan will pull it off. I'm really looking forward to it. If anything I think it will be a decent martial arts movie.