Avatar: The Last Airbender (SPOILERS IN HERE)

i think it looks quite good although i think the way aang looks is kinda odd. totally looking forward to this.
Where are the asian actors?! And that trailer is horrible. That article Toto posted was great, though. I'm so pissed off about this now. I won't be seeing this anymore.
(Jun. 25, 2009  6:20 AM)Sega Wrote: Since when is Aang asian?

[Image: Past_Air_Nomads.png]

look at those whities
Avatar sure does have Eastern influence in the show, but to be honest Aang looks more white than he does Asian.
[Image: Noah_Ringer_as_Aang.jpg]
Noah Ringer, whos playing Aang

compared to
[Image: Aang_Official.png]
Aang in the Cartoon

No way does Aang look Asian in my eyes.
There was a serious lulz at the crowd when the trailer aired before Revenge Of The Fallen. I was one of the people luling. The candle sequence reminded me of DBE. My friends super luled when Ringer pulled the hood up to see the doots.
it's a cartoon

aang is asian

that being said a white kid being cast as aang doesn't bother me, a white cast being cast for almost everyone does
I think this movie is going to be hurt since the movie is being called "The Last Airbender" rather then having Avatar in its name because of the Cameron movie.
(Jun. 25, 2009  3:46 PM)To Wrote: I think this movie is going to be hurt since the movie is being called "The Last Airbender" rather then having Avatar in its name because of the Cameron movie.

Doubtful. Anyone who's seen even half an episode of Avatar is going to understand the concept.
Does it really matter if he is white or an asian? All that matters is wherever he can play Aang well or not.
(Jun. 25, 2009  2:47 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: it's a cartoon

aang is asian

that being said a white kid being cast as aang doesn't bother me, a white cast being cast for almost everyone does

This. Most the characters are asian, so a good portion of the cast should be as well.
(Jun. 25, 2009  9:32 PM)Zander Soulwind Wrote: Does it really matter if he is white or an asian? All that matters is wherever he can play Aang well or not.

no

does it matter if an entire cast is whitewashed? yes
I was checking out the IMDB listing for it... there actually looks to be a pretty decent spread of races across the cast, with maybe a bit of a bias towards Caucasians and Southern Indochinese. I can understand the casting of Sokka and Katara a bit, there's VERY few Native Americans in Hollywood, even fewer who are children. Judging by the pictures of her actress, it looks like they might be making Katara the same age as Aang; Nicola Peltz looks VERY young. The part I'm most worried about is Shaun Toab as Iroh. Mako's got some BIG shoes to fill...
(Jun. 25, 2009  9:42 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: does it matter if an entire cast is whitewashed? yes

Hm, Can't argue with that.
(Jun. 25, 2009  10:00 PM)Spinster Wrote: I can understand the casting of Sokka and Katara a bit, there's VERY few Native Americans in Hollywood, even fewer who are children.
Shyamalan didn't want Native Americans to begin with, though. When the casting call for an audition specifically asks for Caucasian people with "or any other race" in parentheses next to it, who do you think they're looking for?
(Jun. 25, 2009  9:24 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Doubtful. Anyone who's seen even half an episode of Avatar is going to understand the concept.

I meant brand awareness, I heard a person in theatre going "I thought James Cameron was doing Avatar", since most people don't call the franchise "The Last Airbender".

Also, that Nick Movies badge is probably as good as a Nintendo Seal Of Quality is today,
(Jun. 25, 2009  9:42 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: no

does it matter if an entire cast is whitewashed? yes

Not really to be honest, if they can play the role than its fine. But looking at the cast its far from being an "All White" cast.
(Jun. 26, 2009  12:57 PM)Sega Wrote: Not really to be honest,

racism is sort of a big deal
Honestly I think this whole thing has been blown entirely out of proportion.

Do I agree with the casting decisions? No, not at all. But do I think it's worth getting up in arms over? Even more so, no not at all.

The rampant hate from the fanbase of this show over pretty much everything concerning the movie is really grating on my nerves.
(Jun. 26, 2009  6:18 PM)Roan Wrote: Honestly I think this whole thing has been blown entirely out of proportion.

Do I agree with the casting decisions? No, not at all. But do I think it's worth getting up in arms over? Even more so, no not at all.

The rampant hate from the fanbase of this show over pretty much everything concerning the movie is really grating on my nerves.

Yes, it's absolutely worth getting in arms over. A show that embraced multiculturalism should not be reduced to specifically asking for Caucasian actors.
I agree that the cast being totally white being wrong, I also agree that it's not the big deal that it's being made out to be. It's possably bigger.
First of all, Shyamalan is an Indian American. It is shocking to see that he would ask for a white cast. However, it's not surprising considering that a lot of his other movies had a very white cast. The only reason we are noticing it now is because the subject matter.
Plus, this show is obviously asian. Even if you make the excuse that it was made in america, it's obviously meant to be an American answer to anime. So....(no DBE refs on this one please)
Honestly I'm just sick of people bitching about it.

Is it wrong? Yes. Is bitching and complaining about it online going to change anything? No, so what's the point?
(Jun. 26, 2009  6:49 PM)Roan Wrote: Honestly I'm just sick of people bitching about it.

Is it wrong? Yes. Is bitching and complaining about it online going to change anything? No, so what's the point?

you're right we shouldn't criticize things that are very obviously wrong
I think he's making the point that the complaining will do nothing. Unfortunatly, he's probably right.
(Jun. 26, 2009  7:03 PM)fragbait Wrote: I think he's making the point that the complaining will do nothing. Unfortunatly, he's probably right.

I absolutely agree that he's probably right. However, to say that we shouldn't voice our opinions about things we can't change is pretty insane.