Archery

Well, this is basically the general archery thread.

I've recently gotten more involved in archery after moving to the country. Right now I'm shooting a Alpine Micro Hunting bow with a top drawback strength of 50 pounds. I'll have to upload a video later, but, I've never shot a really hunting bow before and it is a lot different than a regular compound bow in my opinion. I think bows like this shot at around 250 MPH, or something like that. This thing is really powerful, when I shot it and missed the target(My first time using a release, not my fingers) it went almost all the way into the ground. Bows like this are around 250$ with nothing on it, and some arrows are pretty expensive.

So, do any of you guys on the WBO practice Archery?
I've always wanted to try archery, it just seems so... awesome. Is it fun?
i havent really gotten involved in archery but ive done archery about 10 times but bows are too expensive im doing archery in PE right now im pretty good
I rarely do archery pulled a 60 lb. bow witch is real heavy TBH kinda like yours but more like military bow
This is a sport I've always been interested in trying. Marksmanship is always a nice thing.
I've done some archery wth the Boy Scouts; took the Merit Badge class this past summer and failed to get it. I'm thinking about possibly being more involved in the sport, seeing as I like shooting at targets.

When (and if) I get started, I'll most likely start out with something small and easy to handle, rather than some monster I can barely pick up. Tongue_out
I used to be quite an excellent shot with both a medium-size Compound Bow(set to 60lb) and a common Shortbow. However, after having surgery on the upper right portion of my chest, I lost the ability to pull back and maintain a heavy draw, as I am a right-hand draw. This effectively ended my stint in amateur/hobbyist Archery.

It was quite fun while it lasted, though.
Haha, every year when we go to Lake George on vacation, we go to the YMCA's Archery Bay. It was funny-one year there was a father son tournament, and my dad wanted me to enter with him. These heavy duty archers showed up with their own bows that had compasses and all sortsa gear-and we used the borrowed stuff! In our deciding round my dad shot a 43 and me a...38? 39? I forget the scoring, but anyways we won! Our prize was 2 free ice cream cones at the general store, and I got a chocolate milkshake...Good times..
I am part of the Archery team at my school. We got second place in the tournament last year. I haven't gotten a bow yet because of how much they cost, but my parents say they will get me one soon.
I've been shooting a lot more and I'm starting to become a better Marksman. Btw Nodoo, hell yea! Archery is always fun, I can't wait to go hunting...
And, I've maxed out the poundage on my bow. I'm now shooting from 60 feet everyday now, at a straw target with a deer poster on it. When I get more money I'll get a actual target, as, Archery is starting to get more and more expensive for me. My new sight costed me 40$ and 3 arrows(Carbon) costs about 20$...
Kaiba Hiwatari
Actually, its better to start out with a "monster" bow. It helps you financially(When you get older and stronger you won't have to upgrade so soon) and it helps you build more muscle, if you push yourself on a bow, then its a pretty good workout.
(Oct. 24, 2011  12:28 AM)Hazel Wrote: I used to be quite an excellent shot with both a medium-size Compound Bow(set to 60lb) and a common Shortbow. However, after having surgery on the upper right portion of my chest, I lost the ability to pull back and maintain a heavy draw, as I am a right-hand draw. This effectively ended my stint in amateur/hobbyist Archery.

It was quite fun while it lasted, though.
Dude, that sucks, I hope that affect is not permanent. I mean, with a compound bow you really don't need to maintain strength once you've pulled it all the way back. You could just mimicked the weight to 40 pounds or something in that range. I'm 14 and I'm doing that, but, I can't really understand your condition, so, I wouldn't really know whats its like...

You shoot from 60 feet away!?! That is awesome.
(Nov. 02, 2011  2:58 AM)othellog Wrote: Dude, that sucks, I hope that affect is not permanent. I mean, with a compound bow you really don't need to maintain strength once you've pulled it all the way back. You could just mimicked the weight to 40 pounds or something in that range. I'm 14 and I'm doing that, but, I can't really understand your condition, so, I wouldn't really know whats its like...

It is permanent damage. The issue isn't entirely with holding it back, but also simply the specific motion used to draw it. I can still carp a crossbow, but it's very difficult.
I'm pretty interested in archery. I have my own bow, but I hardly ever get the chance to use it. T_T
Go buy a hay bale target(they're extremely cheap) and some durable shaft-pointed arrows and just goof around in your yard, imo.
I wan't to try to get into it but I haven't got the chance