Apple/ OS X Thread

UGH YOU CAN RIGHT CLICK ON A MAC SHUT UP I AM DOING IT RIGHT NOW :\

Fleetscut Wrote:
Artie Wrote:Yeah I know; I own an iMac lol.

That being said, OS X is still complicated, however the way it streamlines everything, it makes everything appear so easy and simple.

thats the whole point. macs are more user friendly than windows. windows is for more professional/advanced users. then linux and all its variants are for the more advanced users

This post doesn't make sense. So something can't be both user-friendly and for professionals?
OSW Wrote:hehehe, fun discussion.

ok, BSOD exists, i've just never had it.

Itunes is not difficult, but what is a problem to me, is that what it does when transfering media, it renames and reorganises them all into artist folders etc, so that the ipod has no work to do in itself in organising playlists.
these songs are also given the hidden attribute in windows, to try and disguise their recovery to newbies.

with this method your song naming will be messed up if you try to transfer back to pc.

I think a good player will sort songs into playlists using ID3 tags rather than poor PC side software Tongue_out

I don't see the problem with the way iTunes names files. It sure as hell fixes up any messy files I might have. Also, I don't understand what you mean by, "Transfer back to PC." You're not even supposed to do that. Wink

Fleetscut Wrote:yeah when i use macs (which isnt much) i always get confused cause everything is so different. it just feels awkward

This awkwardness is because you've been using Windows all your life. When I first got the MacBook, I'd wondered if I'd made the right decision. Two months later, I can say without a doubt I have.
I wish I had a Macbook, I am 14 and can't afford it.
Danny Wrote:I wish I had a Macbook, I am 14 and can't afford it.

I understand. =_= Just work hard for it Smile
Yeah, I am sure if I get a paper round it can cover it.
Tamer Brad Wrote:
Fleetscut Wrote:yeah when i use macs (which isnt much) i always get confused cause everything is so different. it just feels awkward

This awkwardness is because you've been using Windows all your life. When I first got the MacBook, I'd wondered if I'd made the right decision. Two months later, I can say without a doubt I have.

ya i was just trying to point out i had no mac experience what so ever. ive always wanted to try them though. just ive never had a reason to switch over
Tamer Brad Wrote:
OSW Wrote:hehehe, fun discussion.

ok, BSOD exists, i've just never had it.

Itunes is not difficult, but what is a problem to me, is that what it does when transfering media, it renames and reorganises them all into artist folders etc, so that the ipod has no work to do in itself in organising playlists.
these songs are also given the hidden attribute in windows, to try and disguise their recovery to newbies.

with this method your song naming will be messed up if you try to transfer back to pc.

I think a good player will sort songs into playlists using ID3 tags rather than poor PC side software Tongue_out

I don't see the problem with the way iTunes names files. It sure as hell fixes up any messy files I might have. Also, I don't understand what you mean by, "Transfer back to PC." You're not even supposed to do that. Wink

Um... Any audio device that doesn't let you sync back your own content YOU put on the device in the first place is not good. >_>

I hate having to use a 3rd party program to move music from my iPod back to my PC. I think that's what OSW was trying to say. Go ahead and laugh at my reference to it, but the Zune/Zune software allows you to move music, video and pictures back and forth between your device and PC.

I also hate how in iTunes you can't directly manage what pictures are synced to your iPod. Sure you can assign certain folders to auto sync, but you can't manually drag and drop pictures within iTunes. I really don't like that. T_T

Getting back to the OS discussion though, how can something be too simple? I don't understand that argument. lol
its set up so that you cant transfer songs off your ipod onto any computer besides the one that you originally used to put the music on. its supposed to prevent spread of illegal music and to stop one person from buying a song on itunes then spreading it for free to all his friends.
My mom has OS X, I've tried it lots of times, but hate it
I just think it's hard since it doesn't have right click lol
Silver Kane Wrote:My mom has OS X, I've tried it lots of times, but hate it

Before Brad spazzes on you, OS X does have a right click it's just that the mice most Macs shipped with originally didn't come with a two-button mouse. Thus, no right clicking.

But if you upgrade to the new Mighty Mouse, right clicking is definitely possible. lol
mighty mouse is standard mouse now (for imacs)

ololo no right click
Roan Wrote:
Silver Kane Wrote:My mom has OS X, I've tried it lots of times, but hate it

Before Brad spazzes on you, OS X does have a right click it's just that the mice most Macs shipped with originally didn't come with a two-button mouse. Thus, no right clicking.

But if you upgrade to the new Mighty Mouse, right clicking is definitely possible. lol

oh nvm then
gonna try to get my mom to order the "mighty mouse" and give the mac another chance lol
Artie Wrote:mighty mouse is standard mouse now (for imacs)

ololo no right click

The iMacs are also pretty new to the market, so not a lot of people got the Mighty Mouse.

But yeah, I've never gotten to use the MM. I've always had to deal with the one-button mouse and I hated it. lol Ctrl+Click for right click was retarded.
Tamer Brad Wrote:UGH YOU CAN RIGHT CLICK ON A MAC SHUT UP I AM DOING IT RIGHT NOW :\

WELL I CAN'T DO IT ON THE ONES AT SCHOOL UNLESS I'M USING MY PEN TABLET, AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS TO ME. Lips_sealed

But that's because my school's Mac labs are fail. Especially the one they stuck us in for Digital Ink and Paint because there's only Intuos2s in there, and I use an Intuos3. I hate having to bring my own tablet in all the time since I'm afraid of breaking it. T^T
ultima55 Wrote:
Tamer Brad Wrote:UGH YOU CAN RIGHT CLICK ON A MAC SHUT UP I AM DOING IT RIGHT NOW :\

WELL I CAN'T DO IT ON THE ONES AT SCHOOL UNLESS I'M USING MY PEN TABLET, AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS TO ME. Lips_sealed

I know, but I'm trying to stop the ignorant carp that people shout off. Someone asked me the other day how I could live on a Mac because they don't have a Recycle Bin, and when you delete something you can't get it back. Sigh.
lol macs have trash
i don't see my self getting a mac anytime soon. besides the one click mouse which is for now dominate, Im bothered by how simple and flashy the gui is.
I like windows for all its options and hackability(thanks to hackers not MS) and XP is very stable. for the power user it is more tunable.

While i like design alot, I still prefer function over form. flashy transitions'n'stuff, while cool the first few times, for me if I feel its ineffectient then it bothers me, Vista too(perhaps especially). haha i run xp with classic so performance is improved

to add on to the fanboy argument,
people saying that I hate all of the hipsters with ipods that have nothing but praise for the apple(bandwagoners). c'mon do you want cookies for using macs before the were cool? Fact is apple is making very good products, its exactly what any company wants to achieve.
same thing as underground/indie music vs mainstream. when the indie artist starts to become mainstream, fans well be like "told you so ive listen to them blah blah blah." but if they do become mainstream, critics or fans will start to bash them for selling out or similar bs. im sure every one has seen this happen, these people are just as much bandwagoners but for alternative cool to retain their "individuality".

hahaha thats a bit of a rant and not directed at anyone here either, i just find it very prelevant in battle of ms and apple.

apple make very good ($$) products...i wished that I could have bought stocks.
BlueSZK Wrote:lol macs have trash
i don't see my self getting a mac anytime soon. besides the one click mouse which is for now dominate, Im bothered by how simple and flashy the gui is.
I like windows for all its options and hackability(thanks to hackers not MS) and XP is very stable. for the power user it is more tunable.

While i like design alot, I still prefer function over form. flashy transitions'n'stuff, while cool the first few times, for me if I feel its ineffectient then it bothers me, Vista too(perhaps especially). haha i run xp with classic so performance is improved

to add on to the fanboy argument,
people saying that I hate all of the hipsters with ipods that have nothing but praise for the apple(bandwagoners). c'mon do you want cookies for using macs before the were cool? Fact is apple is making very good products, its exactly what any company wants to achieve.
same thing as underground/indie music vs mainstream. when the indie artist starts to become mainstream, fans well be like "told you so ive listen to them blah blah blah." but if they do become mainstream, critics or fans will start to bash them for selling out or similar bs. im sure every one has seen this happen, these people are just as much bandwagoners but for alternative cool to retain their "individuality".

hahaha thats a bit of a rant and not directed at anyone here either, i just find it very prelevant in battle of ms and apple.

apple make very good ($$) products...i wished that I could have bought stocks.

augh one click button is NOT that dominate. hell, it isn't even the default settings Uncertain

and, you really think that windows functions better than OS X? Have you even used a Mac extensively? such a comment makes me think no.

as for the mainstream apple think, i think you misinterpreted what I meant. the people who annoy me are the people who have never used a MAC. All they own is an iPod, but they go around saying how OS X is amazing etc. they're just as annoying as their windows counterparts
since those pastel colored imacs, through to the spiffy ones i was using during the summer, ive only had one click to use, so yea its dominant (maybe not in terms of new imac sales)

yea i think windows is effecient, Xp and 2000.
for apple compatiblity used to be an issue. less now but still exists. mac are great for people that simply want it to work, is user friendly, straight forward. and while its creative you can't build on them, they get obsolete.

about the ipod i see what you mean, yea those ppl exist too
BlueSZK Wrote:since those pastel colored imacs, through to the spiffy ones i was using during the summer, ive only had one click to use, so yea its dominant (maybe not in terms of new imac sales)

yea i think windows is effecient, Xp and 2000.
for apple compatiblity used to be an issue. less now but still exists. mac are great for people that simply want it to work, is user friendly, straight forward. and while its creative you can't build on them, they get obsolete.

about the ipod i see what you mean, yea those ppl exist too

Of course Windows is relatively efficient however, to say it outperforms OS X at basic functions is laughable. Also, your comment on being obsolete doesn't make since; people are installing Leopard on machines from the upwards of 6 years ago. There's no way you could install Vista on a PC that old. Apple makes their hardware and software to be longevous.

I'm not bashing Windows here, it's fine for most users. However, the users who aren't satisfied turn to OS X and see the light Wink
sam Wrote:once apple starts actually putting effort into getting games on macs then maybe i shall use one.

They've made a bit of headway.

All of EA's latest games are now available and running on Mac. I'd say it's a pretty big deal when one of the biggest publishers in gaming formats their products for Mac.

You can't say Apple isn't trying. lol
You can install Windows on Macs now. Problem solved.

sam Wrote:apples always confuse me.

why must i have to go to the corner of the screen to close a a program. in windows all you have to do is close all of the programs windows.

still, os x > vista

lololol

Command+Q

And I love that feature. I should be able to leave a program running without any windows open.
sam Wrote:
Roan Wrote:
sam Wrote:once apple starts actually putting effort into getting games on macs then maybe i shall use one.

All of EA's latest games are now available and running on Mac. I'd say it's a pretty big deal when one of the biggest publishers in gaming formats their products for Mac.

ea games suck for the most part.

and still, who the hell is going to be playing ratitoui or madden on there mac lolol.

once they manage to get valve making games natively we'll talk.

for now all they have are space invaders, old skool bungie games, and wow.

I don't know what planet you're living on, but Madden and World of Warcraft are best-selling titles.

Not to mention that Battlefield (Really popular on PC) is now on Mac too.

I don't think Valve will be too far behind, honestly. How crazy would it be if you could download Valve games over iTunes instead of Steam? D:
Roan Wrote:
sam Wrote:
Roan Wrote:

ea games suck for the most part.

and still, who the hell is going to be playing ratitoui or madden on there mac lolol.

once they manage to get valve making games natively we'll talk.

for now all they have are space invaders, old skool bungie games, and wow.

I don't know what planet you're living on, but Madden and World of Warcraft are best-selling titles.

Not to mention that Battlefield (Really popular on PC) is now on Mac too.

I don't think Valve will be too far behind, honestly. How crazy would it be if you could download Valve games over iTunes instead of Steam? D:

Don't count on it.
Roan Wrote:

rofl. nice point, but i must say EA are exceptionally talented at releasing games on AS MANY PLATFORMS AS POSSIBLE!

not really arguing your point (although gaming is pretty shite in general on macs) , just taking a dig at EA.
I don't think Mac users are, as a whole, concerned about playing games. I think you need to accept that every platform has limitations. The fact that the most potent negative people can come up with against Macs is that games can't be played on them says a lot for how great the rest of the platform is.

FYI, I don't give a carp about playing games on a computer.