Apple/ OS X Thread

well do you agree that the majority usually doesn't understand what is best for them? Eee

for example, new beybladers, they may see certain beyblades liek engine gear and think "wow this beyblade is awesome" and it may be popular, but indeed it is not neccessarily a great beyblade.

also - i don't mean this in all circumstances. ie.

"omg windows is so carp! blue screen of death all the time. get a mac they are so much cooler!" what era are we in, blue screen of death doesn't happen on xp or later. not to mention sometimes you buy a product which despite being inferior in some areas, is overall a better product.

furthermore, in our capitalist western society (which i do not discredit) everyone wants value for money.
to be smart we must ask, "am i really getting what i paid for?".

Is the Apple logo worth it because the product has a reputation and popularity.

Do you buy designer jeans for $300 or some cheap chinese jeans for $10 which are not aesthetically or materially inferior?

Not to say that cheaper is better, quality must always be maintained.
In most cases, yes. However, the iPod is ridiculously easy to use, and that's part of its appeal. I don't think Apple should be punished for developing a good, aesthetically-pleasing product.

FYI, I would buy the $10 jeans. Too bad situations like that rarely happen in real life, and certainly not in the case of the iPod.

I'm not biased towards Apple. How could I be? I just started. My experience on this machine has been 1000x more enjoyable than any other computing experience of my life.
fine, no problem with that.

i'mnot saying i think apple should die! hahaha. Credit to them for having smart appeal and advertising to produce such a stong product line.

It's just my personaly view on the ipod brand. My opinion on macs is a bit different, but not entirely positive. (my last post is more related to macs)

here are my primary justifications on the ipod:
1. ipod only plays mp3 and m4a (the default conversion format) and whatever the other format was for movies. And it has DRM right? i need more format support like unconverted flac, avi etc.
2. I don't generally like it's aesthetic design.
3. I don't like the price.
4. i don't consider itunes "simple". drag and drop is simpler and better. Ipod interface is ok but nothing special.
5. proprietary input and output plugs (in general) and software.
6. build design is ok. part quality is average. battery isn't great.
7. official servicing is expensive.
8. INFLEXIBLE.
9. I often like to be different (Diss me all you like hehe, i can cop it)

Oh and another thing with macs is the ONE BUTTON MOUSE LOL! it's not natural, considering where fingers naturally lie (usually two or 3 on top)

This is all in good spirit by the way, i mean to debate in a friendly but competitive way, not an aggresive way.
1. It supports the formats that most people use. I think that's enough. I use AAC for all my files, as do most people using iTunes, so it's a non-issue. It only has DRM if you use DRMed tracks (iTunes store has DRM, but most music stores do).
2. You're one of very few people. Though I don't like the new iPod classic design.
3. I think the price is fine. You have to accept that you are paying a premium for a fashionable product.
4. Drag & Drop won't be simple for people who aren't used to it. Drag & Drop is more useful for you. iTunes is more useful for EVERYONE.
5. I will agree with you on this.
6. The build quality is the best I've ever seen.
7. Yes, but there are warranties for these things.
8. Inflexible? What do you mean?
9. Being different for the sake of being different is just another form of conformity.

As for one-button mouse ... really? Any mouse can be used with a Mac. I'm using an Apple Mighty Mouse, and it's the best mouse I've ever used. I hate "ergonomic" mice.
I know it's good for the majority, and this can be an objection to most of my points, but not for my requirements (maybe i consider myself a leader rather than a follower). That is why i commend them in business terms, but not on a personal level, and i believe people can be lead into better opinion.

1. Ok, i accept that it's satisfactory for most people (target audience etc), but still not for me.
2. Yep, i don't "hate" the old design, rather dislike. And the new design i do hate.
3. I don't accept that i must pay a premium to be "fashionable".
4. Sure good point. Being as professional as i like to be, it is my requirement.
5. Woot! hehe.
6. Not changing my stance. Not horrible, but I've seen better.
7. Warranties have limits. Not everything is covered, particularly common problems. Thus repair cost is important
8. Inflexible in terms of - skinning, customization (like beyblade), upgrade of internal software (not itunes btw).
9. You got me there lol. I don't know what i was saying... well, let's put it in a better way. I want what i buy to match my own preferences, not what the majority of mindless noobs want. If i conform somewhere, i'd like it to be a rational free thinking group or something Tongue_out.
OSW Wrote:Ultimately to solve everything by dual booting XP and some mac OS, and if possible tri boot also including with Vista too or quad boot by chucking in linux (why not?! B))too.

Hell is that possible >Smile But of course the prices of these operating systems are a bit ridiculous, and i need some new computer hardware first anyway.

Joyful_2

yes it is possible. right now im dual booting xp and vista. its quite simple to throw linux and OSX into the mix too

OSW Wrote:"omg windows is so carp! blue screen of death all the time. get a mac they are so much cooler!" what era are we in, blue screen of death doesn't happen on xp or later.

yes it does. you just gotta know where to look
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

lol @ one button mouse

that hasn't happened in like 6 years
Quote:3. I don't accept that i must pay a premium to be "fashionable".

hilarious. welcome to the real world.
OSW Wrote:4. i don't consider itunes "simple". drag and drop is simpler and better. Ipod interface is ok but nothing special.

itunes IS drag and drop. you drag them into your playlist and then you can drop them onto your ipod. whats so tough about that?
Yeah. Personally, I don't see how drag & drop is easier ... iTunes organizes everything for me so I don't have to.

Face it, Apple are damn good at what they do.
OSW Wrote:"omg windows is so carp! blue screen of death all the time. get a mac they are so much cooler!" what era are we in, blue screen of death doesn't happen on xp or later. not to mention sometimes you buy a product which despite being inferior in some areas, is overall a better product.
I got bluescreened yesterday. :c
My sister has a MacBook, but I don't like using it. It's too simple =/
Also, Airport can't allow gaming, as it can't download and send packets that fast. They need a better built-in router, imo

I've never been bluescreened on this computer before, btw =)
Elmo Wrote:My sister has a MacBook, but I don't like using it. It's too simple =/
Also, Airport can't allow gaming, as it can't download and send packets that fast. They need a better built-in router, imo

...what?

First, too simple? OS X, when used correctly, gives you plenty of options, all way more streamlined than Windows.

Also, your experience with airport makes no sense. The integrated Airport Card is more than sufficient, and you just had a bad signal. I have gamed on a Macbook (obviously and old, carp game due to the integrated graphic card) and can say that gaming is lag free.

bu bu bu bu what do i know
Artie Wrote:
Elmo Wrote:My sister has a MacBook, but I don't like using it. It's too simple =/

...what?

First, too simple? OS X, when used correctly, gives you plenty of options, all way more streamlined than Windows.

the reason many people prefer it over windows is because of its simplicity. in windows there are to many "advanced" settings to muck around with that if you dont know anything about computers you wont be able to solve a problem when one comes up
Yeah I know; I own an iMac lol.

That being said, OS X is still complicated, however the way it streamlines everything, it makes everything appear so easy and simple.
hehehe, fun discussion.

ok, BSOD exists, i've just never had it.

Itunes is not difficult, but what is a problem to me, is that what it does when transfering media, it renames and reorganises them all into artist folders etc, so that the ipod has no work to do in itself in organising playlists.
these songs are also given the hidden attribute in windows, to try and disguise their recovery to newbies.

with this method your song naming will be messed up if you try to transfer back to pc.

I think a good player will sort songs into playlists using ID3 tags rather than poor PC side software Tongue_out
Artie Wrote:Yeah I know; I own an iMac lol.

That being said, OS X is still complicated, however the way it streamlines everything, it makes everything appear so easy and simple.

thats the whole point. macs are more user friendly than windows. windows is for more professional/advanced users. then linux and all its variants are for the more advanced users
ok sure, i agree.

I don't think i ever said i hated macs, i was just saying why i prefer pcs.... well actually i was debating more about ipods flaws Tongue_out

i think i'll stop being oppositional now. this wasn't really a mac vs PC topic anyway haha.
my response wasnt to you. you just managed to post before i did. srry for the confusion
Maybe my sister's macbook just sucks Chocked
It's the second-to-newest line too.

And yes, it's too simple. It seems as if there's some icons missing when I use a macbook right after using this desktop I'm using right now. Must be because I'm so used to the Windows layout.
yeah when i use macs (which isnt much) i always get confused cause everything is so different. it just feels awkward
Quote:My sister has a MacBook, but I don't like using it. It's too simple =/

Hahaha, what?
Yeah OS X is so simple they can put it on handheld devices lololo
I don't buy the "too simple" argument. If you want the extra power, it's there. If you don't, you'll never have to bother with it.
My familiarity with Macs comes from using the Mac labs here at school, since for some reason they insist on sticking all our Photoshop classes in them. =___=; I dislike them. I hate using them, I hate how they function. I also hate how our PS teachers are always trying to shove down our throats that Macs are the superior platform, and how they're industry standard. Truth is, it's about 50/50 now. I can run PSCS2 just fine on my PC laptop (with minimal lagging, and it's never crashed, as opposed to having PS crash on a Mac several times on me, losing all my work). I don't need a fancy Mac to paint a pretty picture. Besides, I like my right-click. D: