Anonymous- Hackers of PSN.

If you own a PS3 and play on Playstation Network, you must have noticed that it's been down for quite some time now. Most people know why. A group of hackers named Anonymous; known well for portraying themselves with a picture of Guy Fawkes, hacked into PSN because the new patch in the recent update didn't allow people to jailbreak their PS3's, but this is at least one of a few possible reason's why they hacked PSN. They say if Sony don't undo the patch and allow jailbreaking, they will take away PSN until they do so.

Strangely enough, they claim that they are making things better for PS3 owners, though several people are against them, saying they don't mind spending there money on games and other forms of digital entertainment.

The FBI are currently trying to catch this group of hackers.

EDIT: It wasn't Anonymous who hacked PSN. The crooks who did it tried to retrieve PSN member's credit card details.
Yes, I have heard about it. Apparently Sony is going to Re-Program the whole PSN with new updates and everything. But I hope it won't take long
idont own a ps3 but my bro said its for you are able to play modern warfare 3 and i heard its cause of hackers
When me and my friends I herd this happened we only said one thing, YES!!!! Xbox 360 FTW
but anyways what moron would hack the PSN? what did they think the FBI wouldn't find them?
I find it rediculously stupid. If you jailbreak a PS3, or let's suppose everyone starts jailbreaking, nobody will buy games from the shops. The shops will get no money for the games their trying to sell and so they will stop buying them from game companies. The game companies won't make any money out of it and they will stop making games. In the end, you just ruined a business by getting their products for free.
It's not so much Anonymous as it is a group of CFWers who have no life. There exists a hack that fools the PSN into allowing CFWed PS3s online by marking them as a developer's console. By doing this it allows the CFWed PS3 to enter the PlayStation Store and get content. Because this is a developer PS3 it doesn't check credit card info. Meaning you can make up any number and it'll work. Meaning you can get the entire library of content on the PlayStation Store without spending a cent. That is credit card fraud, and punishable by law. It's kind of like the exact same way the PS3 got hacked - through developer code meant only for developers falling into the wrong hands.

We don't even know if that's the real reason why PSN is down (Since Sony is being quiet, but the fact they haven't said anything also means no one has had their credit card info stolen), but it should be noted that this hack only gained online popularity in the last 2 weeks or so. Coincidentally the PSN has had errors and issues since then.

Edit: Welp...

Quote:Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

Source

Service to resume in some form within a week.
definitely concerning, and i'd also like to point out how baseless the first post is
Heard about this, since 90% of the guys in my school tend to play COD. I now laugh, as my Xbox allows me to play COD while they must do other, less FPS things. Or steam. whichever.
(Apr. 26, 2011  11:12 PM)Dan Wrote: Heard about this, since 90% of the guys in my school tend to play COD. I now laugh, as my Xbox allows me to play COD while they must do other, less FPS things. Or steam. whichever.

I don't think it's that 90% who's losing out... :\
Haha, I don't even play COD, but the mere fact that I can really bothers some of them who have some 'withdrawal' from it. Am I to assume you were effected by it, and you don't really like my teasing of them?
I've likely played less than an hour of Call of Duty in my entire life. I just don't really see the point in getting enjoyment over someone else's misfortune when the issue is completely out of their hands especially over something some amazingly trivial. It comes off pretty elitist (pot calling kettle) especially since you're telling me this instead of you know, playing some games. Tongue_out

I don't really care about online gaming, so PSN being out only affects some shopping I wanted to do. I've only ever used PSN Cards, and the account information linked isn't entirely correct so I'm fairly okay.
Same with me To, except I love playing Cod with my Nooby Famas =P. And have you ever thought if they're playing with our accounts since THEY made the hack? You get it?
Apparently this PSN outage has attracted the attention of a US senator. According to IGN, that is.
I bet everyone that is addicted to COD is like "boohoohoo"
PSN problem has really gotten on my nerves, almost makes me want to switch to xbox360.
Then pay every month for it. So I've heard.
This is to Anonymous:

We Mad

No but seriously, this I srsly DO NOT WANT.
(Apr. 26, 2011  10:53 PM)♥ Wrote: definitely concerning, and i'd also like to point out how baseless the first post is

Agreed. Especially considering Anonymous has announced officially it is taking no credit for this hack of the playstation network. The first time the service was down was because "Geohot" was being sued and they wanted simply to support him. This is a hack by another outside user/group and it was purely a malicious attack by the sounds of it.

I dont like the idea of someone having my information, luckily I have Anti-Fraud on my Visa in which they would call or send me a text message every single time a transaction goes through.
(Apr. 27, 2011  2:07 AM)®otation Wrote: Then pay every month for it. So I've heard.

$60 per 12 months, I believe. So $5 per month, yes.
(Apr. 27, 2011  3:02 AM)Dan Wrote:
(Apr. 27, 2011  2:07 AM)®otation Wrote: Then pay every month for it. So I've heard.

$60 per 12 months, I believe. So $5 per month, yes.

The Wii is free Smug

If I was in this situation with no CoD online, I would just play the campaign, or another game. I won't die if I don't kill someone...
Wii has no online.

(Apr. 27, 2011  3:23 AM)To Wrote: Wii has no online.

The Wii online isn't To bad. You get what you pay for.
i noticed too, its just that i dont use credit cards that much, so i dont go one htere that much.
My classmate said they were near Michigan or something...?
(Apr. 27, 2011  3:24 AM)Nano Wrote:
(Apr. 27, 2011  3:23 AM)To Wrote: Wii has no online.

The Wii online isn't To bad. You get what you pay for.

That's not nice, I'm better than the Wii's online service. Unhappy lol