Alternative Shorter Deck Format Proposal

Hello everyone, so in a tournament bladers or organizers may have to leave early, potentially making the tournament not finish. This almost happened at a recent tournament. I made it to finals and finished my match at 5:34 I believe, the organizer had to leave at 6:00 and there were still 7 more deck matches after mine. I left after my match but the tournament did finish and I can’t help but realize it must’ve been close to 6 when it did. Also because of the time left, it was a close call. This may happen, but it might extend beyond your time limit and you might be late for somewhere you have to be after. I have a proposal to a “shorter” deck format that can be used in the finals if you are running low on time. 

My proposal works like this:
-Both bladers assemble 3 combinations with no repeating parts
-The bladers present their 3 combinations to eachother and both choose the bey they would like to use first while turned around 
-Both bladers will use their first bey in a battle to 1 point. The winner will keep the bey they used and battle it in the next round, the loser will not be able to use that bey except in 1 case explained below 
-The loser will then choose a beyblade from his 2 to counter the winners bey and so on until the winner earns 3 points
-The winner must stay with whatever bey he has if it wins, and if it loses he cannot use it except in 1 case explained below, then must counter his opponent with one of his beys that have not lost 

If a draw during the battle occurs you battle a 2nd time. If there is a winner, the winner gets 1 pt. If 2 draws occur and…
-It is your first match, you disregard the beys that drawed twice and repeat the first step. Each Blader chooses 1 bey from their 2 beys left to battle and you continue
-It is your second match, you disregard the beys that drawed twice and each Blader uses their last bey
-It is your last match, the Blader with more points wins. If the score is tied you may each choose any of your 3 combinations to do a tiebreaker. If another tie happens repeat this process.

This essentially takes the first part of normal deck format but the winner must stay with the first bey he chooses instead of being able to switch, and the loser can still counter. In normal deck format you can think “what will my opponent use as his first pick” and counter that, where in this deck format doing that will likely get you a loss in the 2nd round as your bey is a counter pick rather than a best chance pick. The idea is that with 3 instead of 5 beys, 3 points instead of 5 points needed, and the beys that lose being eliminated from the battle the battles won’t last as long. 

This is a proposal for deck format but if say some tweaks were made to make it even shorter in time, it could be short enough to be a 4th option for 1st stage. But that’s a big if. If anyone has any thoughts about this, or anything they think isn’t right with this please share your thoughts below!
(Jul. 16, 2022  4:43 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Hello everyone, so in a tournament bladers or organizers may have to leave early, potentially making the tournament not finish. This almost happened at a recent tournament. I made it to finals and finished my match at 5:34 I believe, the organizer had to leave at 6:00 and there were still 7 more deck matches after mine. I left after my match but the tournament did finish and I can’t help but realize it must’ve been close to 6 when it did. Also because of the time left, it was a close call. This may happen, but it might extend beyond your time limit and you might be late for somewhere you have to be after. I have a proposal to a “shorter” deck format that can be used in the finals if you are running low on time. 

-The bladers present their 3 combinations to eachother and both choose the bey they would like to use first while turned around 
-Both bladers will use their first bey in a battle to 1 point. The winner will keep the bey they used and battle it in the next round, the loser will not be able to use that bey except in 1 case explained below 
-The loser will then choose a beyblade from his 2 to counter the winners bey and so on until the winner earns 3 points
-The winner must stay with whatever bey he has if it wins, and if it loses he cannot use it except in 1 case explained below, then must counter his opponent with one of his beys that have not lost 

If a draw during the battle occurs you battle a 2nd time. If there is a winner, the winner gets 1 pt. If 2 draws occur and…
-It is your first match, you disregard the beys that drawed twice and repeat the first step. Each Blader chooses 1 bey from their 2 beys left to battle and you continue
-It is your second match, you disregard the beys that drawed twice and each Blader uses their last bey
-It is your last match, the Blader with more points wins. If the score is tied you may each choose any of your 3 combinations to do a tiebreaker. If another tie happens repeat this process.

This essentially takes the first part of normal deck format but the winner must stay with the first bey he chooses instead of being able to switch, and the loser can still counter. In normal deck format you can think “what will my opponent use as his first pick” and counter that, where in this deck format doing that will likely get you a loss in the 2nd round as your bey is a counter pick rather than a best chance pick. The idea is that with 3 instead of 5 beys, 3 points instead of 5 points needed, and the beys that lose being eliminated from the battle the battles won’t last as long. 

This is a proposal for deck format but if say some tweaks were made to make it even shorter in time, it could be short enough to be a 4th option for 1st stage. But that’s a big if. If anyone has any thoughts about this, or anything they think isn’t right with this please share your thoughts below!

For deck format, the loser is still able to pick if they wish to switch or replay. I believe the only aspect that is being taken out from traditional deck format is the winner not being able to switch out if the loser requests a switch.

As a judge for said tournament I can say that the firsthand issue of why everything took so long was the heavy stamina/lad usage. As much as I love judging matches the LAD goes on for a while. I think one of the matches almost hit the 15 match limit which would be sudden death since both players were tied.

The proposal does add a challenge to the winner if the loser picks to counter. I am a fan of this, however I do not think it will have a significant shortage in time for final stage given that the beys being played holds a higher value.

I think doing 3on3 for finals stage would be better since those matches are typically shorter than finals. Typically 5-6 battles or less. I do like where this idea is going tho.
(Jul. 16, 2022  5:25 AM)Cindercast Wrote:
(Jul. 16, 2022  4:43 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Hello everyone, so in a tournament bladers or organizers may have to leave early, potentially making the tournament not finish. This almost happened at a recent tournament. I made it to finals and finished my match at 5:34 I believe, the organizer had to leave at 6:00 and there were still 7 more deck matches after mine. I left after my match but the tournament did finish and I can’t help but realize it must’ve been close to 6 when it did. Also because of the time left, it was a close call. This may happen, but it might extend beyond your time limit and you might be late for somewhere you have to be after. I have a proposal to a “shorter” deck format that can be used in the finals if you are running low on time. 

For deck format, the loser is still able to pick if they wish to switch or replay. I believe the only aspect that is being taken out from traditional deck format is the winner not being able to switch out if the loser requests a switch.

As a judge for said tournament I can say that the firsthand issue of why everything took so long was the heavy stamina/lad usage. As much as I love judging matches the LAD goes on for a while. I think one of the matches almost hit the 15 match limit which would be sudden death since both players were tied.

The proposal does add a challenge to the winner if the loser picks to counter. I am a fan of this, however I do not think it will have a significant shortage in time for final stage given that the beys being played holds a higher value.

I think doing 3on3 for finals stage would be better since those matches are typically shorter than finals. Typically 5-6 battles or less. I do like where this idea is going tho.
Yeah I guess deck format in itself wouldn’t take as long if LAD wasn’t such a problem. And speaking of 3v3 for final stage I was actually thinking that maybe we could use any format we want for finals instead of just deck format. Same for first stage, except no deck format for first stage since that would take too long. That would give more versatility but that would also make the finals feel not very different from first stage? I don’t know, maybe it would work. Thanks for the advice though!
This sounds like the solution to the wrong problem. I don't really like WBO's current deck format, but it looks like the problem you're trying to solve here is "tournaments run too long and people have to leave".

If the tournament is running too long, start it earlier, or run more beystadiums. If you have only a very limited time you can attend a tournament, don't attend the tournament.

If you're trying to replace WBO Deck Format with a "Pick 3 beys, use until all 3 are defeated" format, great, focus on that.
Secretly select one bey from the three.
Have a battle. If one of them wins, the losing bey can no longer be used during the battle and its user must switch to one of their remaining beys; winner is stuck with the bey that won.
If they tie twice in a row, back to secret selection.
Go until 10/15 matches have elapsed or one player runs out of beys. If you hit the 10/15 limit, blader with more remaining beys wins, or whoever gets next win
Do away with points entirely, and eliminated beys are eliminated for that match.
(Jul. 16, 2022  9:37 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: If the tournament is running too long, start it earlier, or run more beystadiums. If you have only a very limited time you can attend a tournament, don't attend the tournament.

I like the way you thought about the format. I’d vote for it as an alternative for deck. The only tiny thing I saw in the post was this. I can’t speak for everyone, but I think it’d be a little hard to restart a tournament and do it earlier if it’s already going and is taking too long. Could be just me.
(Jul. 16, 2022  9:37 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: This sounds like the solution to the wrong problem. I don't really like WBO's current deck format, but it looks like the problem you're trying to solve here is "tournaments run too long and people have to leave".

If the tournament is running too long, start it earlier, or run more beystadiums. If you have only a very limited time you can attend a tournament, don't attend the tournament.

If you're trying to replace WBO Deck Format with a "Pick 3 beys, use until all 3 are defeated" format, great, focus on that.
Secretly select one bey from the three.
Have a  battle. If one of them wins, the losing bey can no longer be used during the battle and its user must switch to one of their remaining beys; winner is stuck with the bey that won.
If they tie twice in a row, back to secret selection.
Go until 10/15 matches have elapsed or one player runs out of beys. If you hit the 10/15 limit, blader with more remaining beys wins, or whoever gets next win
Do away with points entirely, and eliminated beys are eliminated for that match.

I like the idea of this format. Seems pretty fun. As for the issue that he was having which is time. Another solution would be for WBO to not play a completely separate format for the top cut. Like in most card games you don’t play a completely different card game or format for the top cut after Swiss. You still play the same. So like I’m the BK format they could just make it to where after first stage you play the same format for top cut.