A New, Experimental Ruleset -- Less Guessing, More Skill/Knowledge-Intensive

(Feb. 26, 2013  8:52 PM)Ingulit Wrote: How is this different? Because of the Presentation step. When you get a chance to see your opponent's Beyblades, if you have the knowledge to be able to tell what type each of their Beyblades is, then you can make an informed decision as to which one of your three to pick.

OK, let's entertain this notion for a bit.

What happens when a player can only come up with 1 tiered combination? Since you mentioned that there will be no parts sharing for the 3 beys used. The player will pretty much lose to the more 'stocked up' opponent.

Under the current system, that player at least still has a chance of winning a few battles first.

Originally, the deck system was introduced in WBBA Asia to categorize types and to use all 3 in a tournament. IMO, it was a strategic move from the business aspect of it, rather than from the meta aspect. We could not use any duplicate wheels, and it was mandated to use all 3 types of MW (Att,Sta,Def). But as the meta evolved over time, everything became skewed. Defensive wheels paired with an attack bottom became Anti Attacks, for example. The whole thing actually went well for a few years, but ONLY if paired with the Points system (2 for KO, 1 for OS). Even with the Single Elimination format that the WBBA used most of the time, and the fact that they reward KOs more than Outspins, the matches still took a lot of time. Now, if you apply that to the WBO's Organized Play's attendance, where the majority still use (Block) Round Robin, it will definitely take too long.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that they discarded the Deck System once we got into Zero Gs. Keeping up with 3 synchromes needed for the Deck System became rather expensive for beyblade's user base. Players became reluctant to attend when they know that they're likely to lose anyway.

Also as a side information, the WBBA rules differ slightly from one country to another. Some fully randomize the order, and blind pick it randomly too. Some actually go in order (1 -> 2 -> 3).
EDIT: This was all directed at Zeneo's post:

Okay, I don't know how to say this any more clearly:

IT WAS NOT MY INTENTION TO DISCREDIT ANYONE'S WINS OR ACHIEVEMENTS. I AM ONLY TRYING TO POINT OUT THAT THE RULESET HAS FLAWS THAT CAN BE IMPROVED.

As an example, I said very clearly that "it is currently detrimental to your ability to win if you tell other people what you are using"; I chose that wording carefully because I was in no way claiming that everybody's meta is full of secret keepers. Rather, I was stating that the current ruleset greatly favors that kind of behavior and is easily fixable so that no problems arise in the future (or, in places where it is a problem, the problem can be remedied).

Also, it's not really fair for you to criticize my saying the metagame is bad without knowing everyone's meta, and then go on to talk like the metagame is perfect just because your metagame is good. That's blatant hypocrisy, lol

(Feb. 27, 2013  5:14 AM)Uwik Wrote:
(Feb. 26, 2013  8:52 PM)Ingulit Wrote: How is this different? Because of the Presentation step. When you get a chance to see your opponent's Beyblades, if you have the knowledge to be able to tell what type each of their Beyblades is, then you can make an informed decision as to which one of your three to pick.

OK, let's entertain this notion for a bit.

What happens when a player can only come up with 1 tiered combination? Since you mentioned that there will be no parts sharing for the 3 beys used. The player will pretty much lose to the more 'stocked up' opponent.

Under the current system, that player at least still has a chance of winning a few battles first.

Originally, the deck system was introduced in WBBA Asia to categorize types and to use all 3 in a tournament. IMO, it was a strategic move from the business aspect of it, rather than from the meta aspect. We could not use any duplicate wheels, and it was mandated to use all 3 types of MW (Att,Sta,Def). But as the meta evolved over time, everything became skewed. Defensive wheels paired with an attack bottom became Anti Attacks, for example. The whole thing actually went well for a few years, but ONLY if paired with the Points system (2 for KO, 1 for OS). Even with the Single Elimination format that the WBBA used most of the time, and the fact that they reward KOs more than Outspins, the matches still took a lot of time. Now, if you apply that to the WBO's Organized Play's attendance, where the majority still use (Block) Round Robin, it will definitely take too long.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that they discarded the Deck System once we got into Zero Gs. Keeping up with 3 synchromes needed for the Deck System became rather expensive for beyblade's user base. Players became reluctant to attend when they know that they're likely to lose anyway.

Also as a side information, the WBBA rules differ slightly from one country to another. Some fully randomize the order, and blind pick it randomly too. Some actually go in order (1 -> 2 -> 3).

That's an interesting summary of that system, thank you for that!

I see your argument about the stocked player being at a severe advantage, and while I can understand why you'd make that argument I'd actually have to disagree with that becoming a problem. The stocked player is almost always going to be at an advantage, and that's just a fact of our hobby unfortunately. However, this ruleset would actually make it harder to just throw money at the hobby and expect to win, not easier!

In order for the stocked player to take advantage of their supply, they'd still have to learn a lot about every Beyblade they might be up against so that they know what to pick when the time for a Beybattle comes. If someone just throws money at the tier list and expects to win, they might still get blown out of the water because they didn't recognize their opponents well enough.

If the stocked player does know enough to know what to pick, then in my opinion that is a demonstration of time, effort, and knowledge that should be PROMOTED in the community.

Most importantly, it must be noted that the lesser stocked player who knows more about the game than the size of their collection would imply is actually the one who would gain the most from this ruleset in a tournament situation.

If a blader doesn't have a lot to go on, they can shore up this deficit by demonstrating their knowledge of their foe's Beyblades and picking their customs in a more educated manner than their opponent. While they'd be using outclassed parts, the rock-paper-scissors apsect of the game would actually work in their favor for skill reasons rather than luck reasons.

That, in my opinion, is the ultimate goal of this ruleset.
(Feb. 27, 2013  5:23 AM)Ingulit Wrote: That said, in order for the stocked player to take advantage of their supply, they'd still have to learn a lot about every Beyblade they might be up against so that they know what to pick when the time for a Beybattle comes. If someone just throws money at the tier list and expects to win, they might still get blown out of the water because they didn't recognize their opponents well enough.

True, but I wouldn't go to the extreme saying that they will get blown out of the water. They'd still rake up some wins. A good combo is still a good combo.

(Feb. 27, 2013  5:23 AM)Ingulit Wrote: If the stocked player does know enough to know what to pick, then in my opinion that is a demonstration of time, effort, and knowledge that should be PROMOTED in the community.

Yes of course.

(Feb. 27, 2013  5:23 AM)Ingulit Wrote: If a blader doesn't have a lot to go on, they can shore up this deficit by demonstrating their knowledge of their foe's Beyblades and picking their customs in a more educated manner than their opponent. While they'd be using outclassed parts, the rock-paper-scissors apsect of the game would actually work in their favor for skill reasons rather than luck reasons.

Hmm.. Realistically speaking, the skill needed for beyblade is just launching. Once you've learnt the various launch methods, it's safe to say that he/she is on a somewhat equal ground. Next would be the tiers, which is, IMO, more important than skills in a way. Outdated / outclassed parts are not going to beat tiered parts anytime soon, even when you slide shoot / bank until you fingers bleed BeySpirit.
Well,I have not been saying that your metagame is bad,or that your new ruleset is not good.The beyblade hobby is just about basically two things
Money
Intelligenta
But finally,It comes down to who can manage both at the time-
A guy with money to spend,is nothing if he has no knowledge about the meta.
and a guy with knowledge has a 50% chance of winning,if he doesn't have money to buy top-tier parts.
I personally like the way you've bought this in limelight.
I only have problem with 3 bey selection.
(Feb. 27, 2013  5:56 AM)Uwik Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2013  5:23 AM)Ingulit Wrote: If a blader doesn't have a lot to go on, they can shore up this deficit by demonstrating their knowledge of their foe's Beyblades and picking their customs in a more educated manner than their opponent. While they'd be using outclassed parts, the rock-paper-scissors apsect of the game would actually work in their favor for skill reasons rather than luck reasons.

Hmm.. Realistically speaking, the skill needed for beyblade is just launching. Once you've learnt the various launch methods, it's safe to say that he/she is on a somewhat equal ground. Next would be the tiers, which is, IMO, more important than skills in a way. Outdated / outclassed parts are not going to beat tiered parts anytime soon, even when you slide shoot / bank until you fingers bleed BeySpirit.

Right, the physical skill boils down to launch technique, and outclassed parts are outclassed parts. What I was trying to say though is that this system would introduce the knowledge of Beyblade customs into the equation in being able to figure out what kinds of customs your foes are using during presentation, which I think is a very good thing.

Like I mentioned before, this system benefits players with bad parts but a lot of knowledge, which I think is good. As an example, let's say you are the understocked player. The situation might arise where, say, the opponent presents to you 3 Synchrom defenders; an unskilled player would probably just lose, but a skilled or knowledgeable (shouldn't those be the same thing?) player would see that and realize they'd have a shot at winning if they used an outclassed stamina type. Again, the rock-paper-scissors aspect of the game thus becomes an asset to the competitive scene rather than a detriment.

This is, first and foremost, an experimental ruleset, and I'd personally just love to see people try it at some tournaments and come back and say if they liked it or not. Ideally I'd like to see a larger tournament run this ruleset so we could get a decent sample size of players that have tried it out.

(Feb. 27, 2013  6:08 AM)zeneo Wrote: I only have problem with 3 bey selection.

That was the best solution I could come up with to address the secrecy issue in a fair way to both parties. Would changing the rule to allow you to use parts in more than one of your 3 customs help?
Well,if you could fix the issue of 3 beys,it'll be a ruleset,as good as the WBO's.
Newbies may not even have 3 beys-all they may be trusting is their beloved Storm Pegasis 105 RF.
Well,or they may have only 2 beys.
A thing that can be done in order to avoid stalling clause is that the member tells the judge what he's going to use just before the battle-that too secretly.
Gah, you responded too quickly, I had just edited this into my last post:

(Feb. 27, 2013  6:08 AM)zeneo Wrote: I only have problem with 3 bey selection.

That was the best solution I could come up with to address the secrecy issue in a fair way to both bladers in a Beybattle. Would changing the rule to allow you to use parts in more than one of your 3 customs help?

EDIT: I changed the OP to add in a clause that states the whole "You have to use three completely different Beyblades, no part sharing" is flexible
Hmm... ok
What I had stored in mind for the 3 beys selection was this-
example-
zeneo vs ashton pinto
zeneo's presentation
A=Phantom Orion 90 MF
B=Revizer Gryph W145 RF
C=Gravity Perseus BD145LRF
ashton pinto's presentation
A=Duo Aquario 230 MB
B=Flash Orion AD145 MF
C=Diablo Kerbecs BD145R2F
now,
a randomizer is done-
zeneo's randomizer
result=B=Revizer Gryph W145 RF

ashton pinto's randomizer
result=A=Duo Aquario 230 MB
Hence,
RGW145RF v. DA230MB.
That's fair,right?
also,all 3 customs can be any type.
Unlike the deck system, you wouldn't be selecting the Beyblades at random, you would be choosing one after having seen the opponent's 3 Beyblades.
Hmmm....
Here I see where the Intelligenta part comes into play-
If you see what your opponent is using,you have to use your intelligence and see what from your Arsenal can defeat all of the other 3 beys/be the best pick.
I'll try getting all the guys my area to host a unofficial tournament in your ruleset.
I'll try to post all the result somehow.
(Feb. 27, 2013  1:39 PM)Ingulit Wrote: Unlike the deck system, you wouldn't be selecting the Beyblades at random, you would be choosing one after having seen the opponent's 3 Beyblades.

You wrote that it was double-blind though. Also, whether you see three of their Beyblades or all of them from observing matches, it barely makes a difference ...

You seem to have two completely different goals with what you propose : you want people to post their winning combinations more, but, completely unrelated, you want to supposedly make battles less luck-based while they are not so much ...
(Feb. 27, 2013  2:49 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2013  1:39 PM)Ingulit Wrote: Unlike the deck system, you wouldn't be selecting the Beyblades at random, you would be choosing one after having seen the opponent's 3 Beyblades.

You wrote that it was double-blind though.

Double-blind does not mean random; rather, every Beyblade selection would be done as though the Stalling Clause had been enacted.

Theoretically, under the current ruleset, all Beyblade choices are double-blind already because of the Stalling Clause. If a player wants to win, they simply should not select their Beyblade until they see what their opponent is using. If both players want to win, then the Stalling Clause is enacted, and the choice is double-blind.

I made the decision is double-blind because of the rock-paper-scissors nature of our hobby. I really wish there was some way to implement a counterpick system, but I couldn't think of a fair way to do that that wasn't horribly complicated.

(Feb. 27, 2013  2:49 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Also, whether you see three of their Beyblades or all of them from observing matches, it barely makes a difference ...

It does make a difference for people who are either new to tournament play or are traveling and don't know anybody there. Furthermore, I'd rather see somebody win a Beybattle because of their Beyblading skill and knowledge than because of their social engineering skills. Bladers that know the other players in their meta will still be at an advantage that way, but that (combined with their launching skill) shouldn't be their ONLY advantage.

(Feb. 27, 2013  2:49 PM)Kai-V Wrote: You seem to have two completely different goals with what you propose : you want people to post their winning combinations more, but, completely unrelated, you want to supposedly make battles less luck-based while they are not so much ...

Yes, I do have two different goals, that's certainly true! They aren't so unrelated, though, since both of these goals are solved, in my opinion, by my proposed ruleset.

I've already stated many times why I feel that battles are luck-based; can you give me a counter-example that shows they are not?
But the new Blader also has the advantage of not having shown people what he or she uses in Beybattles yet ... After a while, it is then just a matter of adaptation, and that represents skill.
(Feb. 27, 2013  5:12 PM)Kai-V Wrote: But the new Blader also has the advantage of not having shown people what he or she uses in Beybattles yet ... After a while, it is then just a matter of adaptation, and that represents skill.

This is exactly the problem I'm trying to fix! If you're new, then not only do you not know what everyone uses, but nobody knows what to use against you; in that case, the entire process of choosing a Beyblade comes down to luck, hoping the other person doesn't pick a hard counter you couldn't possibly have expected. That is in no way competitive, and I have presented an easy solution that you are not even acknowledging; rather, you keep stating that the things I've stated are problems are not without offering any counter arguments whatsoever! Here, I'll ask you this again:

(Feb. 27, 2013  5:02 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I've already stated many times why I feel that battles are luck-based; can you give me a counter-example that shows they are not?
"It would barely make any difference"-Kai-V
Yeah,correct.
If this(Ingulit's) ruleset gets applied,look how Janstarblast becomes the best blader in India.
No one will argue about Janstarblast's capabilities-
He has spent most of his WBO lifetime helping new-comers with combos.
He has an immense amount of knowledge on combos.Sadly,due to his busy schedule,he hasn't been able to keep up with the meta that much.
(Feb. 27, 2013  6:14 PM)zeneo Wrote: "It would barely make any difference"-Kai-V
Yeah,correct.
If this(Ingulit's) ruleset gets applied,look how Janstarblast becomes the best blader in India.
No one will argue about Janstarblast's capabilities-
He has spent most of his WBO lifetime helping new-comers with combos.
He has an immense amount of knowledge on combos.Sadly,due to his busy schedule,he hasn't been able to keep up with the meta that much.

I can't tell what you're trying to say, since this sounds like an excellent outcome; someone who has put a lot of effort into the game and who can put that knowledge to use in a tournament situation should be considered a good player. That's how most competitive communities work.

-=-=-=-

I want to again emphasize how much this ruleset would help communities grow together since travelling to tournaments outside your meta would become much more doable, and thus it would be easier to hold large tournaments that attract players from outside your meta.

Let's say that somebody is a good blader in their meta, and they get an opportunity to travel somewhere else to go participate in a tournament. This is the only time they will get to visit this meta, so they won't have time to learn everyone's habits and they won't have the opportunity to adapt for future events.

Under the current ruleset, in order to do well, this person would have to either:
1) guess what to use, or
2) have an unreasonable burden placed upon them to spend all their time trying to learn everyone's habits instead of getting to enjoy just hanging out with fellow bladers.

Neither of these options are ideal, and this ruleset provides an easy-to-implement solution. Under this ruleset, if a blader gets to go to a tournament outside his or her meta, that blader will be on equal footing with the meta's regulars.

Even more importantly, under the current ruleset, if someone travels, the only thing they can bring with them is their stock of parts and their launch technique. Under this ruleset, the experience they gain from practicing against a lot of foes back home will translate more directly into their skill elsewhere, since they will be able to make a better choice of Beyblade due to recognizing what their opponents are using during the presentation step. It's a lot more sure-fire to make a sound decision on what Beyblade to pick if you are presented three Beyblades than by having to spend time attempting to figure out what everyone is using during matches (which they might not even use again!).

Above all, I truly believe this would be more fun, and not in a "Fox Only, Final Destination" sort of way. It's a minor change to the ruleset that preserves the feel of the current ruleset while still making it more competitive.

It really is an easy and relatively harmless change, and I think it is cohesive enough to be worthy of some tournaments at least trying it out.
I don't see why and how should my name pop up here, haha.
However, since the inception of the thread, I have been truly interested in the concept.
I have always disliked the fact that you can perform well for quite long, but a single battle can turn things around.
While I would be quite happy to see a change in this concept, it'd kinda get us nowhere.
Every sport has such matches. For instance a certain team may dominate in the entire tournament, but lose when it matters most- the finals for example.
While battling a blader with a low BeyRank, a tourney veteran plays that same match- the match where it matters most.
He must win no matter what. Introducing such a format into the game mars all the hard work put in by people with high BeyRanks. It becomes somewhat unfair, as all their abilities of predicting, making the right choices, etc go waste.
Yes, I agree that Beyblade was never meant to be the game it is now. Good predictions and choices are qualities of a Pokemon RPG player, not a beyblader.
Beyblade was supposed to be a not-so-complex game of battling tops.

To revive its true essence, we must give up on the system we have followed and been proud of. I simply love the idea to increase the number of rounds played by a pair of bladers to curb the existence of a "Do or Die" situation. Heck, I myself am one of those quintessential understocked bladers who are said to benefit most from this change.
If we reconsider this matter though, we realize that this arrangement would be a ruthless insult to the hard work with which people have attained such high BeyRanks. I am not saying you are disrespecting anyone, Ingulit. I am just explaining why people like Uwik took offence of the remark. Smile

The deck system is interesting as well, but apart from the various complex problems explained by others, the most basic disadvantage it has is the fact that most bladers may not even have three good combos. They'd either not have 3 beys itself(like most newbies) or lack 3 combos. This would call for a guaranteed loss in a certain round where the good combo isn't used. Plus, it increases the requirements to enter a WBO tourney. We'd be asking people to compulsorily pay the fees and have 3 combos as well. This increases the budget while entering in a tourney, which isn't healthy for the site's future.

I am not saying that the current system is perfect. There is room for improvement, probably. I ain't as familiar to the system as you are, Ingulit, so I may be horribly wrong. But yes, these are my views about your concept. Smile

Remember, I don't mean to say that you are disrespecting/insulting anyone. I do not have the right to say so, haha. Whatever I said above is all in good spirit.

P.S. My above post was framed before Ingy's post above. So I have missed everything he says there
(Feb. 27, 2013  5:36 PM)Ingulit Wrote:
(Feb. 27, 2013  5:12 PM)Kai-V Wrote: But the new Blader also has the advantage of not having shown people what he or she uses in Beybattles yet ... After a while, it is then just a matter of adaptation, and that represents skill.

This is exactly the problem I'm trying to fix! If you're new, then not only do you not know what everyone uses, but nobody knows what to use against you; in that case, the entire process of choosing a Beyblade comes down to luck, hoping the other person doesn't pick a hard counter you couldn't possibly have expected. That is in no way competitive, and I have presented an easy solution that you are not even acknowledging; rather, you keep stating that the things I've stated are problems are not without offering any counter arguments whatsoever! Here, I'll ask you this again:

(Feb. 27, 2013  5:02 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I've already stated many times why I feel that battles are luck-based; can you give me a counter-example that shows they are not?

When I wrote that, I absolutely did not mean or see it as a problem though, hah.
(Feb. 27, 2013  8:40 PM)Kai-V Wrote: When I wrote that, I absolutely did not mean or see it as a problem though, hah.

I am aware, which is why I explained that it IS a problem from a competitive standpoint that needs to be addressed.

You still haven't answered my question.
I do not necessarily know what counter-example to give you : I have gone to Beyblade tournaments, and I can tell you it is not based on luck.
(Feb. 27, 2013  8:58 PM)Kai-V Wrote: I do not necessarily know what counter-example to give you : I have gone to Beyblade tournaments, and I can tell you it is not based on luck.

I have as well, and I've been to numerous tournaments in other hobbies, and I can tell you that this is the most luck-based metagame I've ever seen for the numerous reasons I have already given.

What would you say about this ruleset being tried in some tournaments here or there to see what people think about it? Like, would it be okay for this to be experimented with and still be WBO-sanctioned?

EDIT: I just realized the way I've been speaking really doesn't sound like this, and for that I apologize: I am not asking for an immediate upheaval of the ruleset, or that the ruleset is unplayable or anything like that. This is supposed to be a proposal for a possible change, and I was hoping for it to be a gradual change if people liked it. The key for that to happen is for tournament organizers who might be interested in this ruleset to be still allowed to be sanctioned by the WBO while trying out the changes. Would it be possible for that to be okay?
Well, in a situation where the metagame keeps advancing and new series come out and we are 'overcome' by the circumstances, not really, but since we might be going into a Beyblade situation that is much more relaxed, it would be more feasible to try things and be 'frivolous'. However, we always try to make sure that what gets processed in the Beypoint System is as standardised as possible, so that the worldwide rankings even make sense.
Beyranks were what I was concerned about, yeah. I can definitely see random rules and bannings causing problems with the Beyrank system, which is why I was hoping to really explain everything to maybe get this approved for testing.
While this is a good idea, I don't see how it would involve skill/knowledge to do. In the example you gave, yes, one might choose the stamina type, but you will still have to use an attacker, which is risky against two defenders, or a defense type, in rounds two and three. So, even though you make, a good choice in the first round, you will still probably lose rounds two and three, which turns it into a guessing game of who will use what, when.

Now, how about this- each blader selects three beys and shows them to their opponent, but only uses one? Then, in the example you gave, you would win if you made the right choice with the stamina type.
(Feb. 28, 2013  1:29 AM)ShinobuXD Wrote: While this is a good idea, I don't see how it would involve skill/knowledge to do. In the example you gave, yes, one might choose the stamina type, but you will still have to use an attacker, which is risky against two defenders, or a defense type, in rounds two and three. So, even though you make, a good choice in the first round, you will still probably lose rounds two and three, which turns it into a guessing game of who will use what, when.

Now, how about this- each blader selects three beys and shows them to their opponent, but only uses one? Then, in the example you gave, you would win if you made the right choice with the stamina type.

If there is more than one round, you can totally pick the same Beyblade twice! That must be why everyone is saying this is like the deck system! I'll make this more clear in the OP.

The point of this ruleset is exactly what you said, you select up to three Beys and then only use one per round. If you have more than one Beyblade, at the end of each round, you're ALLOWED to switch Beyblades, but you by no means have to!