Reputation System Enabled Again

Train, I'm going to be completely honest with you here and say that I'm getting the feeling that you're just being butthurt here because he doesn't have any rep-points. Thing is, as other people have said, you haven't really been active enough to get any. Brad reads every single post on this board, and he is constantly working on something to tweak it and make things more enjoyable for members. You're just kind of a white noise poster- there are people around here who hardly post but people still remember them because they have interesting things to say and really, seriously, contribute to discussion on this forum.
It's understandable for people like myself and Artie to have the odd point here and there because we are such mainstays of the community. People know that we are reliable people who really have a lot of love for this forum, and many of the people on it. We contribute when we can, and do our best for this community.
I won't deny being a shitheel from time to time, but I have been working very, very hard to cut down on that sort of thing. I must say, it hasn't been easy!
(Aug. 19, 2008  4:34 AM)Train Wrote: I was under the impression the rep system was for people to know who had quality knowledge about the hobby to offer and who didn't. The whole system seems misleading to me.
How many of this gullible newbies do you think will actually notice this rep thing, and figure out what's going on? For the large majority, either they'll completely not notice it at all, or they'll notice, and find out enough to be able to see the comments and realize it's about who's nice and who's not.

Furthermore, for those who receive good rep due to comments, it so happens that they generally coincide with helpfulness and knowledge and so on. Likewise, for those who receive bad rep, they generally do not contribute as much. To a large extent, I would also say that the exceptions who have good rep but do not contribute well do not actually post much in the Beyblading section, thus we can ignore their rep when talking about helpfulness since this would NEVER COME INTO QUESTION.

Concerning this "quality knowledge to offer", if you pay attention to the style of discussion in this forum, to a large extent, we find that most opinions are unanimous, and when they're not, it's open to debate to such an extent that everyone's opinion is generally quite equal. So, I doubt we'll ever be having cases in which the better opinion is rejected because the poster has lower rep.

(Aug. 19, 2008  2:16 PM)Train Wrote: As for me changing my name it shouldn't matter. People don't know me because I'm not a memorable person. I've met Brad 5 seperate times at conventions as well as Elliot and neither has remembered meeting me at any of these. You're not the only one that doesn't know a lot about me.

I thought you were a new member until I read this thread.

(Aug. 19, 2008  2:16 PM)Train Wrote: If you read my edit I did say Brad did deserve a higher rep simply because of his involvement in the Japanese community his knowledge of the game and anime and for creating sites such as these, but by that logical people like Kai-V and Nic should also have sky high reps because of all of their knowledge. His rep should be higher no doubt, but it's in a ridiculous size at the moment compared to other large contributors.

I'm not sure about Kai-V, her helpful-post-count seems almost on par with Brad, but if you consider the difference in the number of helpful posts that Brad makes as compared to that I make... the proportions for the rep seems about right. And for Kai-V, I would think that her area of expertise is more towards new trends, while Brad spends more time helping new members with their current equipment. Of course, Brad would have a large amount of rep.

(Aug. 19, 2008  2:16 PM)Train Wrote: This is coming off as a personal attack on me unintentionally simply because I seem to be the only one having this problem with the rep system. Everyone here defends everyone else because of the longevity of their relationships with one another. I don't have an issue with any of that it's just me pointing out a fact.
I almost never talk to anyone on this board, just for the record.

But anyway, I'm glad that you brought this up. Rep system is highly volatile and difficult to manage on forums; this discussion is important for development.

(Aug. 19, 2008  2:16 PM)Train Wrote: I would be contributing a lot more if I didn't have to work as much as I do. I simply cannot respond to questions or write an article because I'm never around with questions and other people answer faster. As for the articles I'd rather not run off something half-assed and put my name on it. I would want to take time to write it and do a decent job of it which I simply cannot do.
Honestly, I would think my case is worse. I'm in a completely different time zone, so I'm never online when action happens. I'm too occupied with academics to write articles. But I try to help wherever I can, if anything pops up. I'm posting to this board after finishing up some calculations and before sleeping, and I think if I can do this, you probably can too.
I think Brad deserves a large amount or rep just for creating this place to be honest. Then, there is the fact that he helps people with current equipment as Nic said. Kai-V and others deserve high rep too, but Brad is the creator of Beywiki so what did you expect?
^That, and people tend to Rep someone on-the-spot, for advice that was just given or something like that.

Brad contributes a lot, gives advice a lot, and so on. Kai-V contributes a lot, but also has her own website, and will often only post here to announce or clarify news. It's not like that's a bad thing, it just is.
(Aug. 19, 2008  5:56 PM)Grey Wrote: ^That, and people tend to Rep someone on-the-spot, for advice that was just given or something like that.

I'm guilty of this. When I was told a great combo I felt that I has to leave some feedback, simply because the combo worked wonders for me.
(Aug. 19, 2008  6:13 PM)ChozenBlader Wrote:
(Aug. 19, 2008  5:56 PM)Grey Wrote: ^That, and people tend to Rep someone on-the-spot, for advice that was just given or something like that.

I'm guilty of this. When I was told a great combo I felt that I has to leave some feedback, simply because the combo worked wonders for me.
This is allowed, if you read the first post of this topic.

I did not want to post here ...

As Nic wrote, my knowledge about the hobby is limited to Metal Fight Beyblade. How should this be compared to knowledge about everything else. I am really not complaining.
The fact is, you beyblade knowledge may only be one area, but you know that area in depth and that's why you're helpful.
(Aug. 19, 2008  6:18 PM)Kai-V Wrote:

This is allowed, if you read the first post of this topic.

I did not want to post here ...

As Nic wrote, my knowledge about the hobby is limited to Metal Fight Beyblade. How should this be compared to knowledge about everything else. I am really not complaining.
Your version of Beyblade spirit is directed mostly towards the anime and manga for that I think you should have a high rep. You know all the names and have profiled all the battles. Face it you have enough knowledge to have a great rep.

As for you Nic you used to post all around OtC for quite some time people know and respect you for it. That and your knowledge of physics and design in general (shape and purpose that sort of thing) Is as far as I know one of the best. You also raised the point of people with any sort of rep not positing in the beyblade section and ignoring that rep. My point is it's hard to ignore when it's staring you right in the face. I realize you can just read what the rep is for and therefore ignore it, but then the whole point of the rep system is nil. It's just who is liked better.
Isn't that kinda what rep is?
(Aug. 19, 2008  6:54 PM)Train Wrote: My point is it's hard to ignore when it's staring you right in the face. I realize you can just read what the rep is for and therefore ignore it, but then the whole point of the rep system is nil. It's just who is liked better.

Are you forgetting about the "Advanced" designation with the special purple stars, there to show people who they should really listen to when it comes to customizing etc?
(Aug. 19, 2008  6:55 PM)ChozenBlader Wrote: Isn't that kinda what rep is?

No a rep is based on a person. Annie has a rep for being as she put it a "shitheel" Toto has a rep for being a nice guy. It can be good or bad.

In this instance the rep system (I THINK) was supposed to show who was helpful about the hobby and who wasn't. Goturo has a negative rep because he knows little. Kai -V has a rep for being knowledgeable about the anime/manga and Metal Fight. Stuff like he's arrogant or he's a guido or something along those lines does not contribute it's just superficial and pointless for this site.

EDIT: No Annie I haven't, but that highlights the pointlessness of this even more. It is only showing who is naughty and who is nice. It's either bashing people or showing that they have friends since we do have a system in place to show the handful of people we should listen to about the hobby and such.

I think the negative side is being used better than the positive. It shows who you shouldn't listen to. Which I think is what Brad and the mods had in mind by putting it up, but the positive it being used incorrectly.
Because receiving because receiving acknowledgment for regularly making memorable/entertaining posts is just the most terrible thing in the whole wide world.

Beywiki isn't just about Beyblade, it's about the community. That sort of thing is inevitable somewhere with a strong community spirit, where people actually like each other.
(Aug. 19, 2008  7:01 PM)Train Wrote:

No a rep is based on a person. Annie has a rep for being as she put it a "shitheel" Toto has a rep for being a nice guy. It can be good or bad.

In this instance the rep system (I THINK) was supposed to show who was helpful about the hobby and who wasn't. Goturo has a negative rep because he knows little. Kai -V has a rep for being knowledgeable about the anime/manga and Metal Fight. Stuff like he's arrogant or he's a guido or something along those lines does not contribute it's just superficial and pointless for this site.

EDIT: No Annie I haven't, but that highlights the pointlessness of this even more. It is only showing who is naughty and who is nice. It's either bashing people or showing that they have friends since we do have a system in place to show the handful of people we should listen to about the hobby and such.

I think the negative side is being used better than the positive. It shows who you shouldn't listen to. Which I think is what Brad and the mods had in mind by putting it up, but the positive it being used incorrectly.

But Train, I'm relatively new, and haven't had lifelong friendships with anyone here. Yet I still have positive rep.

I think the main issue here is that you thought that the Rep system was for Beyblade knowledge when, like Annie said, it's about the community.
I can get where Train is coming from. Some of the previous forums I've gone on usually only repped if the poster provided some good info or tips that helped with the main subject of the board.

For me however, I don't have any plans on using this system.
(Aug. 19, 2008  7:55 PM)Grey Wrote:
(Aug. 19, 2008  7:01 PM)Train Wrote:

But Train, I'm relatively new, and haven't had lifelong friendships with anyone here. Yet I still have positive rep.

I think the main issue here is that you thought that the Rep system was for Beyblade knowledge when, like Annie said, it's about the community.

As I have already stated your rep is a welcomed change. The stuff you have in your rep is all about your knowledge and helpfulness to the hobby.

Thank you G that is the point I'm attempting to address.
There seems to be very few complaints about the reputation system so far. If you feel that a reputation that has been made is an invalid reputation, you are feel to report it to any of the staff and we will look into it. However, we can't be expected to read every reputation for every user so we can't monitor the system if you don't report anything.

Many new members that have been contributing a lot have been getting positive reps. Some users have been getting positive rep for making entertaining/memorable posts, not necessarily informative. This is a bit of a grey area but seeing as these forums are for entertainment as well as information I don't have a problem with this. If there are reps being made that are plain nonsense, they are invalid and will be removed once a staff member is informed of them.

FYI, I leave positive reps for anyone I think deserves it. If you think the rep system isn't balanced, you can correct it by reporting invalid rep and leaving positive rep on those who deserve it.

Also, I've commented to other members/staff that I feel my rep is ridiculously high. However, being both the owner and the most active member on this board, I can't help but find it not entirely surprising.

Anyway, much ado about nothing. I don't see any issues here.

(Aug. 19, 2008  5:17 AM)flashfox Wrote: Honestly, this is probably the only gross misuse of rep so far:
http://forums.beywiki.com/reputation.php?uid=268

The rep in question here was invalid and was removed.

See how easy it is to promote proper use of this system?

This is exactly the sort of thing you SHOULD leave positive rep for.
Oh, so I haven't done anything wrong then. That's good! Joyful_3
Personally I dont care about the rating system. Since a rarely post or having anything to say. The rating systems has its good points and its bad, but everything alway has its up side and down side. I think its a good way for new users to get good answers from people with a good rating but at the same time it can be misleading. But I still think its good Tongue_out
not to be rude in any way since i just got my beywiki sins forgiven by father brad BUT you guys (not all of you) are acting like babies its just a rep system, if anything you shood be happy for both good AND bad. good tells you you are doing well here, bad means your also doing well but have something to improve on to make your and others stay here more enjoyable. why is it so hard just to have a simple rep system?
That post was pretty pointless man.

The rep system has been disabled. Wink
oh sorry lol. would you like me to delete it