marial arts

Ok marial arts,do you take marial arts if so wat stile do you train in. Do you think one marial art is more effectice than another ? [ i made this because, the ufc topic was being argued into a marial arts topic, and i thought we need a marial art topic pls argue in here.]
im going to start kendo soon. and i used to do karate and tae kwan do when i was young
I used to train <i>ke jia quan</i>, literally "Hakka fist". Hakka is a dialect group in China, and this martial art is in the Southen Fist style, which emphasizes more on direct muscular training and more... well, it's more of an "outer" style, as compared to the Northern styles, and generally has less leg work and more emphasis on stability. Tae Kwan Do is similar to the Northern styles, which makes sense since Kora is closer to the Northern parts of China.

I used to take fencing too.

Pity that I dropped them to focus on my music.
im considering taking up fencing. theres a fencing club at my school and im thinking of looking into joining
Fencing is awesome.

I keep thinking the topic title says "marital arts"
The style I learned was Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do. It's tight, yo.
I took tae kwon do and I'm teaching myself boxing.
SexyMichael Wrote:Jeet Kune Do > all other martial arts
I honestly believe that this can only work for Bruce Lee. And I also think it is only oriented for fighting people WITHOUT weapons.
Mr. Toto Wrote:The style I learned was Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do. It's tight, yo.
Is this Chuck Norris's style?

Anyway I am studying under the Bukinkan Organization. There are nine schools taught under this organization:
Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu
Gyokushin Ryu Ninjutsu
Kumogakure Ryu Ninjutsu
Gyokko Ryu Koshijutsu
Kukishin Ryu Happo Hikkenjutsu
Koto Ryu Koppojutsu
Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu
Takagi Yoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu
Gikan Ryu Koppo Taijutsu
Fleetscut Wrote:im considering taking up fencing. theres a fencing club at my school and im thinking of looking into joining

The sad thing about fencing and other related martial arts is all the equipment you have to buy and wear. It's a serious pain on your wallet and I'm always so glad to take it off and stand in the wind.
Fencing looks like a lot of fun. I read that Bruce Lee based a lot of Jeet Kune Do on fencing.
Cye Kinomiya Wrote:I read that Bruce Lee based a lot of Jeet Kune Do on fencing.

You gotta be kidding O____________O. Is this another of those "concept" things?
i heard that he incorporated a few things into his style. i think kick boxing was one of them. not sure though
Composer of Requiems Wrote:
Cye Kinomiya Wrote:I read that Bruce Lee based a lot of Jeet Kune Do on fencing.

I wouldn't be surprised. Fencing is all about hitting your opponent while avoiding attacks yourself. It seems an ideal influence for any modern or recently developed art.

Um, no. He wrote it in his book.
PRINCEcharming Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised. Fencing is all about hitting your opponent while avoiding attacks yourself. It seems an ideal influence for any modern or recently developed art.

Wouldn't that be valid for most martial arts? I'm pretty sure that the martial arts encouraging you to take hits are a minority...
mario arts
artie, I was going to post that myself, but then I realized I could count on you to do it
Tamer Brad Wrote:artie, I was going to post that myself, but then I realized I could count on you to do it

bros before hoes man
PRINCEcharming Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised. Fencing is all about hitting your opponent while avoiding attacks yourself. It seems an ideal influence for any modern or recently developed art.
Wouldn't that be valid for most martial arts? I'm pretty sure that the martial arts encouraging you to take hits are a minority...
I don't mean that there are arts that encourage the act of getting hurt, but some do focus on grappling and maintaining proximity, making oneself a more available target. An example would be what I've seen of Judo, which, while not really intended to be applied to life or death situations (at least I hope not), isn't in any way an effective means of not getting stabbed.

Um, no. He wrote it in his book.
i do taekwando i love it but personally i th!nk (yay clever usr name placing) that shaolin is more effective although with too much meditation i hav no sense of waiting for stuff
there's another, properly spelled thread to use. see "martial arts". Focus more strength into your kicks, and learn to use your punches, you'll come out a better fighter for it, if you're a typical Taekwondo fighter.