how many people dont go to school here and why

He just forgot to put dots here and there LOL
God heero my head hurts now but I understand your text xD
Your defence was 'become a builder'?
I guess if you want to never have an education and just hammer nails your whole life, thats your choice...
I used to think high school was a waste of time (at 15) because I didn't feel the majority of what I was learning was relevant to me. So I dropped out at 16 and wrote to someone in Alberta Education to see if I could still continue on to a secondary education in the arts (Why should I take Science 30 if I want to take design, right?). I felt this was the best choice for me at the time.

I was also what one would call a naive idiot. I can only imagine how this guy from the Education Board was laughing at me as he typed up his rejection letter. For the next 3 years I worked full time in offices, retail, administration. That's a pretty fleshed out resume right? Wrong. I could have been the best accountant The Brick ever had and the first thing a potential employer would read was that I didn't graduate high school. In Alberta, the type of education you'd receive from a typical public high school gets to be a lot more expensive after you've turned 19. I had to go back and upgrade some of my classes and right now I have to take an extra University level English course so that I can try for my BoE or BoA next year.

Right now I'm in college, I'm really glad I ended that stupidity sooner rather than later. Having experience isn't the same as being educated in something. Maybe you're just as qualified in terms of skills, but an employer isn't always going to see it that way.

And if felt every school subject wasn't challenging enough, you weren't looking closely enough at English.
(Sep. 16, 2009  4:15 AM)Minion Wrote: Your defence was 'become a builder'?
I guess if you want to never have an education and just hammer nails your whole life, thats your choice...

um building takes more that,mesureing plus all the skills needed to make the wood the shap and what not s

and brad,i was in a hurry i had to go to work and does it make you feel big belittling others and breaking the rules you probley set for this comunity?"Be polite to other members; treat members here how you would like to be treated."
qq
(Sep. 16, 2009  9:05 AM)Dirge Wrote: um building takes more that,mesureing plus all the skills needed to make the wood the shap and what not s

and brad,i was in a hurry i had to go to work and does it make you feel big belittling others and breaking the rules you probley set for this comunity?"Be polite to other members; treat members here how you would like to be treated."
qq
However, if school was so easy, all your posts are not reflecting your ease to learn your own language ... Sometimes, our members who have other mothertongues than English write a lot better. Perhaps you should consider, because it is important, for us and for yourself.

Or you could admit the courses were not so easy, I do not know. There simply exists a contradiction in this matter which we all see.
(Sep. 16, 2009  11:18 AM)Kai-V Wrote: However, if school was so easy, all your posts are not reflecting your ease to learn your own language ... Sometimes, our members who have other mothertongues than English write a lot better. Perhaps you should consider, because it is important, for us and for yourself.

Or you could admit the courses were not so easy, I do not know. There simply exists a contradiction in this matter which we all see.

i already said why my english was so bad i was in a rush as i had work, and my other post would most likey have poor spelling and gramma due to this being a forum not an essay,Hence im not taking the time to cheack the spelling or gramma, there isnt any rules on here saying you must use correct spelling and gramma other wise i would cheack the spelling and gramma and correct it.

and by courses do you mean the ones i did at school or the uni ones ive been doing?
The uni ones were way more diffuclt then high school was yet i was still getting an average of B
(Sep. 16, 2009  8:07 AM)The_Lumberman Wrote: I used to think high school was a waste of time (at 15) because I didn't feel the majority of what I was learning was relevant to me. So I dropped out at 16 and wrote to someone in Alberta Education to see if I could still continue on to a secondary education in the arts (Why should I take Science 30 if I want to take design, right?). I felt this was the best choice for me at the time.

I totally agree with your entire post, and in accordance to this, personally I feel education is about the process of learning, and not the material itself - essential life lessons are developed in schools/colleges/university, be it punctuality and courtesy, or establishing a good work ethic.

And Dirge, it was less the fact that he was belittling you, and more the fact that there is a discrepancy in your attitude towards education, and the format you've presented it in ...

Regarding spelling and grammar, I don't see why a forum is any different from an essay; both you are writing to anyone who chooses to read your writing, and hence it should be easily understandable and with as little mistakes as possible.

Besides, evidently a B grade is not the top grade ... Speechless
(Sep. 16, 2009  9:05 AM)Dirge Wrote: um building takes more that,mesureing plus all the skills needed to make the wood the shap and what not s

I don't doubt the skill required to work in construction. I suppose I just feel that a majority of society isn't cut out for this type of job. It's physically demanding and exhausting, as a 4'11", 100 lb girl, I can safely assume that I am going to need a highschool education to have any hopes of aquiring a job that doesn't kill me.

(Sep. 16, 2009  12:52 PM)Dirge Wrote: i already said why my english was so bad i was in a rush as i had work, and my other post would most likey have poor spelling and gramma due to this being a forum not an essay,Hence im not taking the time to cheack the spelling or gramma, there isnt any rules on here saying you must use correct spelling and gramma other wise i would cheack the spelling and gramma and correct it.

and by courses do you mean the ones i did at school or the uni ones ive been doing?
The uni ones were way more diffuclt then high school was yet i was still getting an average of B

Your forum etiquette should absolutely reflect your essay writing skill. You may not be getting graded on how well you express yourself here, but it certainly reflects who you are. If you can't be bothered to write properly, why should you expect anyone to take you seriously? Especially in a thread devoted to education.

A forum is a text based gathering of people sharing ideas and opinions. I can guarantee that if we were actually in a room with you, and your speaking habits were anywhere near the level of your writing habits, no one would even be listening to you.

Your opinions are valid, and by all means you should feel free to express them. If you really feel strongly about something, take the time to put a little effort into how you express yourself. You'll earn a lot more respect when you do.

Edit: Furthermore- If proper spelling is a major issue for you, start taking advantage of the internet. There are thousands of sites devoted to spelling and defining words for you. Not to mention the built in functions of firefox that let you fix words simply by right clicking.
(Sep. 16, 2009  12:52 PM)Dirge Wrote: i already said why my english was so bad i was in a rush as i had work, and my other post would most likey have poor spelling and gramma due to this being a forum not an essay,Hence im not taking the time to cheack the spelling or gramma, there isnt any rules on here saying you must use correct spelling and gramma other wise i would cheack the spelling and gramma and correct it.

There's a difference between spellcheck and making your posts readable..I never spellcheck either
seriously just go back to school now, i can guarantee you'll regret it in two years. I know someone who did the same thing as you

btw i'd imagine someone who thought highschool was easy and lives in a english speaking country would know how to spell "grammar", I live in carp norway and know better english than you
School for me is more of a motivation or purpose than something i go to. I learn because i am motivated to do well; actually extremely well. If i enjoy something than I become very ambitious. This is what drives me to keep on going to school. Trying my hardest, going to everything possible to get 'brownie points' while striving to reach maximum perfection in my work to be able to go to an amazing college and receive a job i love. I've wondered if i could ever get this job without school and my answer is easily no. Yes i can get material from the web but i can never have someone to help me, go over me with things if I'm stuck, someone i can ask questions to and an interesting lesson instead of just walls of text.
(Sep. 16, 2009  6:47 PM)SK Wrote: There's a difference between spellcheck and making your posts readable..I never spellcheck either
seriously just go back to school now, i can guarantee you'll regret it in two years. I know someone who did the same thing as you

btw i'd imagine someone who thought highschool was easy and lives in a english speaking country would know how to spell "grammar", I live in carp norway and know better english than you

i havent been to high school in a year and a half,im not going back because im doing a higher eduction then high school.
seriously this is pissing me off it was my dission and it was one i know will help me get the job i want to get yet you guys keep ripping on me for it.All im saying is you dont always need to stay in high school to get a decent job.
Quote:i havent been to high school in a year and a half,im not going back because im doing a higher eduction then high school.
seriously this is pissing me off it was my dission and it was one i know will help me get the job i want to get yet you guys keep ripping on me for it.All im saying is you dont always need to stay in high school to get a decent job.

And you're sending out a really ignorant message to everyone on this board. A lot of the members are still pretty young, you shouldn't go spouting out 'High School Education is useless! You can still get an amazing job if you want to!' when that's not true for the majority.

If that were true I'd have start living own my yacht in the Caribbean with Christopher Meloni years ago.

It's really great things are working out for you without your high school diploma. But you shouldn't generalize your situation as the norm for everyone else. It's rare that people without a formal education go on to be really successful. This should not surprise you. It also shouldn't surprise you that people who have worked to obtain a standard education are taking offense.
You made this topic, you should have expected this. If you didn't want to discuss it, you shouldn't have made a topic about it.

You said you dropped out because it was too easy, now you're saying that it was to help you get the job you want. Furthermore, I would love to hear what kind of system allows you to do "higher education", then high school ... unless you meant than high school, which is something different entirely. They teach you how to use that word in school, I think.

I am telling you, as someone who dropped out of high school, you will regret it sooner or later ... probably, sooner. Yes, you may be more qualified than others, but most employers are going to ask if you finished high school and most employers will not hire you if you have not.

This is just a slightly more elegant version of bumping your fists on the table and screaming, "But I don't wanna!" Yeah, none of us do. Just get it over with.
http://www.weltec.ac.nz/SUBJECTAREAS/Inf...fault.aspx

passed both of these with an average of B

http://www.weltec.ac.nz/SUBJECTAREAS/Inf...fault.aspx done half of this doing other half next year cause it was full.

if you look at the entry requirments for these youll see most reqire 70credits in level 2 i only did level 1 in high school yet i can get into them because i passed the 1st one.

and The_Lumberman im just getting pissed that everyones making out im going to be a bum because i left school, ive worked hard to get the qulifatcions ive gotten in the links above.
Seriously... are you dyslexic or something? If not, there's hardly any chance that you'll be able to get a decent job if you're unable to spell something as simple as "require". Typing fast isn't an excuse; several people can type above 70WPM and still maintain proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Those classes look like they're supposed to be introductory, meaning that it's supposed to be easy. Good job on getting that average B though.
Theyre the classes you take after you finnish high school,the 1st one i passed is an introductory to programing,Pc repairs,Electronics and web design.The only one of these subjects of those you do in high school in newzealand is the web design,which is pretty easy i came in the top 50 of the web design competeion when i was year 11.

The 2nd one is the 1st half of the dipolma in computer serviceing and all the papers i passed get cross credited into the degree ill probley be doing in a year or so.

My point in all of this is if you drop out of high school you can have a decent job depending on what you do after you leave school.If you just do nothing or work in retail you wont have much of a future,but if you go on to do more study at a higher level then youll probley have the same chance at getting a decent job.
I think New Zealand is pretty unique in that situation.

Most places in the world won't allow you to take any diploma or degree level courses until you finish high school. So by not finishing high school here any opportunity of taking higher education is out of the question.

Just wanted to clear that up.
ahhhh thats probley why this argument happend.
our education system is actully pretty terrible,you can pass your subjects in high school without even having to sit the end of year exams Uncertain

and even if you dont pass any of the levels in high school you can still get into uni courses when your 21.

i was lucky that i knew what i kinda job i wanted to do and that i had the options to be able to go study diploma and degree level courses insteed of staying in high school where i could have just sat in class and did more or less nothing and pass due to starting the year with 40 credits that carryed over from level 1
because i work in an off license shop (alcohol shop) xD
goin to high school next year (im in grade 8) :3
I droppe- MALfunCtion SNatex ErroR Reason: NECROWING A THREAD

I just read this and I agree with the people who realize every level of education is important. I plan on becoming either a video game designer or tester, and I know that, even though I can't learn programming in high school, it's still key to getting the job, especially since I don't specialize in the two key components of the job, Math and Science. once I learn programming, I will be able to program any text, as since grade 4, I've been University-level with my spelling and grammar
I graduated a year early this May (Aug2010-May2011 was supposed to be my senior year), so I took a semester off. I've mainly been writing and playing with my band during this break, and more recently got back into Beyblade.

I start my first semester of college in two weeks Smile
LOL im in Year 9
im not even in high school yet, and i think that it is important to finish school. as most people have already said, it is hard and rare to find a good job if you dont have your high school diploma.

just my 2 cents