holiday
2.80%
soft rock
3.74%
heavy metal
8.41%
Total: 100% 107 vote(s)
whats your favret kind of music
There's way too many genres of music anyway, so I really just like anything that doesn't suck.
Make Dir En Grey a category and I'll vote Tongue_out
Composer of Requiems Wrote:What the hell is holiday O_O
christmas music
I listen to a lot of different genres.

But most of them are all pretty much sub-divisions of heavy metal.

So I chose heavy metal.
Composer of Requiems Wrote:Make Dir En Grey a category and I'll vote Tongue_out

Yeah, I'm not sure what they'd go under. At one point they were hard rock, then sometimes they're soft, then they tried pop with Gauze, and now they're some terrible form of heavy metal. Perhaps have "experimental" as a genre?
Voted for some classic rock (80's-ish lul), modern rock, blues, hip hop/rap.
Katashi Wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure what they'd go under. At one point they were hard rock, then sometimes they're soft, then they tried pop with Gauze, and now they're some terrible form of heavy metal. Perhaps have "experimental" as a genre?

Heavy Metal or just Metal.

While they have certainly branched out into different areas, they are overall a metal-based band.
Rap with Nu metal in close second.
Roan Wrote:
Katashi Wrote:

Heavy Metal or Metal.

While they have certainly branched out into different areas, they are overall a metal-based band.

this is why genres are stupid

all of this are just over-specifications of "rock" music, so just go with that
Roan Wrote:
Katashi Wrote:

I actually meant that as a joke... can't you tell from the emoticon?
Composer of Requiems Wrote:
Roan Wrote:
Katashi Wrote:

I knew you were kidding; I was responding to Katashi. lol
genre's are sooo confusing these days.
i couldn't even classify my favorite bands if i tried because i'd probably be wrong.

i guess i'll with what Roan said, but.. but what's the difference between alternative and rock..? punk and emo? metal and nu-metal? :\
There are subtle differences between the genres you listed.

Alternative is basically music that doesn't coincide with what's popular in music. In other words, stuff that isn't played on the radio. This doesn't just pertain to rock music though. There are alternative types in all genres.

Rock is an obvious one. Anything that uses the traditional vocalist, guitar, bass and drum set up to create music.

I don't consider emo a genre because it's so carp retarded in its own concept.

Punk really originated years ago. Generally more aggressive music with more politically-themed lyrics.

Metal is just heavy rock. Nu-metal is an abomination. (Rage Against the Machine, Limp Bizkit, and to some extent, Linkin Park.)
Hm, that clears a lot up.

although I'm sure someone could argue against your points.. Like, when I go on a website like www.ultimate-guitar.com , and look under what bands come up under some genre's..its pretty carp stupid as to what I see. Thrice was under Emo, ectt.
Roan Wrote:Rock is an obvious one. Anything that uses the traditional vocalist, guitar, bass and drum set up to create music.

Metal is just heavy rock. Nu-metal is an abomination. (Rage Against the Machine, Limp Bizkit, and to some extent, Linkin Park.)

I'm pretty sure some pop also consists of vocal/guit/bass/drum, but isn't classified under rock. Pop is more... light sounding.

Metal has some traits that are uncommon in other genres, such as vocals (except for power/epic/etc.), insane double bass drum and so on.

Actually, from a drumming perspective, almost all styles of music feel very different. I would assume this is the case for other instruments too, but I don't have experience with most.
Well, I was being very generalist when I wrote that up.

I know there are other differences, but I was just trying to sum them up so that the gist of it could be understood. Smile
Roan Wrote:
Roan Wrote:
Katashi Wrote:

I just trying to figure out exactly what genre you'd place Dir en Grey under. In no way was a suggesting making them their own genre.
Katashi Wrote:
Roan Wrote:
Roan Wrote:
Katashi Wrote:

I just trying to figure out exactly what genre you'd place Dir en Grey under. In no way was a suggesting making them their own genre.

Awesome. That's what genre. lmao
Nuoooo I meant that it's rather amusing how a joke actually started a serious discussion xD

But yeah, I would say experimental too. That's a convenient equivalent of "misc."
I like anything that's melodic, edgy and has attitude.
Probably..

Electro-House, Dirty House, Hardstyle, Jumpstyle, Hardcore (Techno ) and Trance Wink