Wii Music

You know, I was as skeptical as the next person when Nintendo presented Wii Music at E3, but over the past few weeks I've really begun to understand what Miyamoto is trying to accomplish with the 'game', and it is quite simple if you give it a chance.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/1...as-a-game/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOx3G2AAFUI
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/wii_music/vol1_page1.jsp
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/wii_music/vol2_page1.jsp

Iwata Asks: Wii Music Vol.2 Wrote:Iwata
There's never been anything like this game before, so I don't think gamers know what it is yet. If they were to ask "What kind of game is Wii Music," how—in a word—would you describe it? Totaka-san?

Totaka
Eguchi-san used an expression that I thought fit. He said it's musical clay.

Iwata
I get it, like clay for playing with. Only for music.

Totaka
Right. I thought that described it perfectly, and for some reason it pleased me to hear it put that way. Anyone can mold clay. It can be fun just to make a simple snowman, but if you're more skilled with your hands, you can make something more artistic. The clay, however, remains clay. Similarly, Wii Music possesses a wide breadth of adaptability.
(I hope you all took a look at those links. They are important to comprehension)

It's not about getting the highest score. It's not about hitting each note perfectly. It's about playing music. Wii Music allows anybody, of any age or skill level to enjoy the joy of music. It doesn't separate between those who have musical training, and those who don't. Even if you have absolutely no musical training whatsoever, you can still enjoy Wii Music. And even people who do will probably find something to enjoy in the game simply because there is over 60 instruments to play with.

I'm curious, what do you guys think of the game? Certainly, there are a couple of you that started laughing the moment you read the title of this thread, but I'd still like to know. I can't guarantee I will be picking Wii Music up anytime soon, but I have become extremely interested and it deserves a chance.
don't do this
seems like a decent game. at least to pass the time. and i play some instruments so i appreciate music.
This.

This is the definition of how out of touch Nintendo is to the hardcore gamers. You'll have people preforming retarded moves infront of their televisions, only to be ''secretly'' be filmed and have that video put on Youtube.
Nintendo isn't making this to appease any type of gamer. Try to look at Wii Music as if it were a toy, not a game. That makes it sound like it lacks depth, but it is the best thing I can think of.

After reading those articles I linked to, and watching that video, really think about it. Don't just say "Oh, Nintendo has forgot the hardcore gamers" so blindly. It isn't about that.
it's $50 USD

come on
There is a large variety of instruments, over 60. There is part of the value right there.

More songs would have been nice though (or even DLC songs).
(Oct. 20, 2008  4:32 AM)Kei Wrote: There is a large variety of instruments, over 60. There is part of the value right there.

the midis on vgmusic.com have better sound quality
(Oct. 20, 2008  4:32 AM)Kei Wrote: There is a large variety of instruments, over 60. There is part of the value right there.

You forget that no matter what instrument you're playing you are essentially doing the same thing -- flailing your arms around.

So much for "variety".
I think I'd honestly have more fun sitting down and singing/humming out loud while playing "air instruments" or something.

$50 for a toy is quite pricey. I'd much rather spend the $50 on a REAL instrument, possibly a recorder or ocarina.

And this is dumbing down the art and creativity in music. Surely music won't come down to be defined as this?
Lips_sealed
i once hurt my arm by playing air guitar too much
(Oct. 20, 2008  4:48 AM)Elmo Wrote: And this is dumbing down the art and creativity in music. Surely music won't come down to be defined as this?
Lips_sealed

Yeah, it is, but at its core the purpose is for people to be able to enjoy the joy of playing music. Say somebody is an experienced guitar player, but has never tried the violin before. Trying it out in Wii Music may pique their interest in the instrument and lead them to pursue it further.

I'm no musical expert, but to me, Wii Music looks like it could be a great starting point for people. If you read the two "Iwata Asks" articles, you should understand this.

(Oct. 20, 2008  4:48 AM)Roan Wrote: You forget that no matter what instrument you're playing you are essentially doing the same thing -- flailing your arms around.

So much for "variety".

Not sure what to say about this as I haven't played it myself, but I know the development team put in a lot of detailed techniques into some of the instruments by pressing certain buttons. They mention it in the second Iwata Asks article.
Ok I respect that you are using reliable sources to back up your statements, but for carp's sake Kei, of course Iwata is going to say stuff like that. He wants people to buy this game and to continue being rich as carp.

I'm trying to remain objective here but its a little hard to do when most of the reviews so far have been very low. (Sup IGN's 5)
We have to remember that a lot of people have no talent what soever so many wish they could play instruments but can't so they would like to have the feel of playing an instrument. This is mostly for the general public to give them a feel for playing instrument. And this game looks like it takes good advantage of the wii's motion sencing, so don't just say he wants to stay rich, they are also providing a source oof entertainment that hasent been seen before. This goes more into other instruments that the average, rock band and guitar hero. So its a good game and concept imo.
(Oct. 20, 2008  4:42 PM)Roan Wrote: Ok I respect that you are using reliable sources to back up your statements, but for carp's sake Kei, of course Iwata is going to say stuff like that. He wants people to buy this game and to continue being rich as carp.

I'm trying to remain objective here but its a little hard to do when most of the reviews so far have been very low. (Sup IGN's 5)

Somehow, I don't think Iwata is that shallow. Even being the head of a huge company like Nintendo. You can plainly see that Wii Music was not just something they threw together over night.

Not sure how many reviews have been done since I last checked, but they have been varied. IGN gave it a 5 like you stated, 1UP gave it a 9 or something amazing like that, and somewhere else 3.5/5. It'll be interesting to see what else it gets.

and beymasterkai, I agree with pretty much everything in your last post.
see white guys, they go like this

ne ne nenene ne ne nenenene

but black guys they go like this

bodoo doo doo bo doo do boo
(Oct. 20, 2008  5:37 PM)beymasterkai Wrote: We have to remember that a lot of people have no talent what soever so many wish they could play instruments but can't so they would like to have the feel of playing an instrument. This is mostly for the general public to give them a feel for playing instrument. And this game looks like it takes good advantage of the wii's motion sencing, so don't just say he wants to stay rich, they are also providing a source oof entertainment that hasent been seen before. This goes more into other instruments that the average, rock band and guitar hero. So its a good game and concept imo.

So basically this is going to help to further stupefy the general public.

I see.
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:07 PM)Roan Wrote: So basically this is going to help to further stupefy the general public.

I see.

That is being a bit harsh, don't you think? There is plenty of people who either don't have the natural talent that many musicians possess, or just haven't thought of playing a real instrument before. It is definitely possible that somebody could decide to learn a real instruments after playing around with it in Wii Music. And even those who don't will still be able to enjoy playing music, and that is what really matters.

Does this not make sense? Or is there something I am missing?
kei nintendo could re-release ET from the atari and you'd praise it
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:13 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: kei nintendo could re-release ET from the atari and you'd praise it

Um, no I wouldn't lol

What I am saying here is not ridiculous.
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:14 PM)Kei Wrote:
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:13 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: kei nintendo could re-release ET from the atari and you'd praise it

Yes it is.

If people think that by playing Wii Music they will get the feeling of playing a real instrument they are horribly mistaken.

As a classically trained musician myself (I played trumpet for 6 years and percussion for 2), I cannot take this game seriously. Whereas with Rock Band and now GH4, there is a drumset that very accurately recreates the sensation of playing drums, Wii Music has nothing. You flail your arms around and press buttons, and while it works within the context of the game, it is not an accurate virtual recreation of any instrument I have ever seen played.

And there's a dog suit as an instrument ffs, among many other ludicrous things.

Nintendo has essentially taken what made Rock Band so innovative and completely dumbed it down, assuming once again that the people who own their system aren't intelligible enough to even simulate playing real instruments.

There's not even a goal in the damn game. No points, no notes to hit. Its stupid and pointless. Its an improv simulator and a terrible one at that.
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:34 PM)Roan Wrote:
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:14 PM)Kei Wrote:

Yes it is.

If people think that by playing Wii Music they will get the feeling of playing a real instrument they are horribly mistaken.

As a classically trained musician myself (I played trumpet for 6 years and percussion for 2), I cannot take this game seriously. Whereas with Rock Band and now GH4, there is a drumset that very accurately recreates the sensation of playing drums, Wii Music has nothing. You flail your arms around and press buttons, and while it works within the context of the game, it is not an accurate virtual recreation of any instrument I have ever seen played.

Nintendo has essentially taken what made Rock Band so innovative and completely dumbed it down, assuming once again that the people who own their system aren't intelligible enough to even simulate playing real instruments.

There's not even a goal in the damn game. No points, no notes to hit. Its stupid and pointless. Its an improv simulator and a terrible one at that.

OH NO KEI! they are ganging up on us! lets go back to back we can take them lol jp XD but seriously roan you are taking it way too seriously. its just a game. you cant be so judgmental of it, and if you feel this way then you should complain about rock band/ guitar hero. that in no way represents how to play the guitar. y? because ITS JUST A GAME! for people who dreamed of playing guitar to be able to feel like they are playing the guitar.
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:34 PM)Roan Wrote: If people think that by playing Wii Music they will get the feeling of playing a real instrument they are horribly mistaken.

Neither of us can really speak for how Wii Music actually feels as we haven't played it ourselves, but I think that Wii Music isn't necessarily trying to replicate the exact feeling you get when playing a real instrument, but to be as close to it as they can with the Wii Remote+Nunchuk (and Balance Board for Drums). Obviously, it won't be an exact replica of a very complex instrument. You aren't just mindlessly flailing your arm around and pressing buttons, you are able to control (to an extent, clearly) what you play.

That being said, people will get the feeling of what it is like to play music by playing Wii Music.

The dog suit is just something extra they added into Wii Music for fun, as far as I can see. The whole game isn't just dogs and cats making sounds lol

About your comparison to Guitar Hero and Rock Band,
Iwata Asks: Wii Music Vol.2 Wrote:Totaka
This is a bit of a digression, but when I started working on Wii Music, I hadn't played many conventional music games, so I tried some out. When I was playing one of them, I was having fun, and decided to try to play one of the songs perfectly. I played flawlessly through the last note, and in triumph laid on an extra note at the end of the song. But when I looked at my score…it wasn't perfect!

Iwata
Because of that extra note?

Totaka
Yeah, it said I'd done something I shouldn't have. But isn't adding a note in keeping with the music a good thing? So I wondered if we could make a game that would allow such embellishments, and came up with the design we have now, whereby you can play normal melodies or elaborate however you see fit.

I stated all of this earlier, but Wii Music isn't a game, per se. Points don't matter. It is not about that.
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:52 PM)Kei Wrote: I stated all of this earlier, but Wii Music isn't a game, per se. Points don't matter. It is not about that.

THEN WHY IS IT ON A GAMING SYSTEM?!

For carp's sake this could be one of those carp DVD games that comes with a peripheral remote.
(Oct. 20, 2008  10:01 PM)Roan Wrote:
(Oct. 20, 2008  9:52 PM)Kei Wrote: I stated all of this earlier, but Wii Music isn't a game, per se. Points don't matter. It is not about that.

THEN WHY IS IT ON A GAMING SYSTEM?!

For carp's sake this could be one of those carp DVD games that comes with a peripheral remote.

Plug & Play: Motion Music

I honestly can't get Metacritic to work for me today, so can someone tell me it's score...