Why do some people totally bash people who like anime??

I was on Yahoo Answers and my friend on the site sent me a link to a question that was asked. This guy was a total jerk. And it made me realize there are a lot more people out there like this ...

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...507AA3mU8i

Anime Freaks: Don't you hate arrogant losers like him?

Have you ever had an experience where people made fun of you for liking anime?
1. Yes, but I hate certain anime fans just as much.

2. My whole class mocks me in a loving way. I don't think anyone's actually been rude to me for liking anime.
same as rocky.except i rip on them for ripping on me
Haha, same as flamer.
yes some are treated poorly but some also bring it upon themselves with their attitude towards other people. Noone has ever said anything to me about it because noone really knows what i do in my spare time, so you really in a way you guys get to see a side of me that not even many of my friends do Smile
yup plus i steal there stuff and throw it out.they get what they do to me.once they threw my stuff out the window! and it was the 4th floor
I Lol'd at the person who admitted to getting beat up..LOL...

Anyway, I really dont get picked on, I'm usually the lazy guy that just sits outside and such relaxing. I'm more of a solo type of guy, you kno..A little shy..Heheh..But if I ever did get picked on I'd just laugh it off because most people who think things are "lame" usually go home and do something "lame" themselves.

Oh and that link the guy posted was HILARIOUS!!! There's a social class/society of nerds LOL.
A love of anime is pretty common where I live. As far as I know, anyways.. Maybe I just don't hang out with boring people?
I found that article unbelievably hilarious.
My friends don't really care that I like anime. Though, they don't like it themselves (besides one guy). I've found that there are about 20-40 people at my school out of about 2000 kids that actually like anime. =(
my school actually has an anime club... im not apart of it but ive gone to their showings like... twice

i like anime alot. i dont obsess but i enjoy the storylines and haha im a sucker for stylized fight scenes XD
but yea i mean people might think its weird... and others might go out of their way to pick on those who do like it...
but at the end of the day its still just their opinions...

...and the people that pick on others are just doing that to feel better about themselves... so dont take it personally or anything cuz theyve probably have some issues of their own that cause them to act this way...
I don't think it's anime so much as just the whole fixation on the culture of Japan. Ridiculously annoying.

Then again, I think anime is a superficial form of entertainment and that you eventually grow out of it. I sure as hell did.
(Apr. 27, 2009  2:55 AM)Artie Wrote: I don't think it's anime so much as just the whole fixation on the culture of Japan. Ridiculously annoying.

Then again, I think anime is a superficial form of entertainment and that you eventually grow out of it. I sure as hell did.

i mean yea i probably will too... but idk... i think its fine to enjoy watching shows that you like no matter what the age or subject...
(Apr. 27, 2009  2:55 AM)Artie Wrote: I don't think it's anime so much as just the whole fixation on the culture of Japan. Ridiculously annoying.

Despite the fact that I can be a bit like this sometimes, this, a million times this.
because they bring it on themselves by forcing their interests down everyone's throats
Because most kids interested in anime obsess over it. I've always liked to draw and stuff, so I've always been a closet fan. But back in school, the kids who liked anime and made it known were always the weird ones--escapists with social problems. A lot of them are kids who refuse to grow up too, not to mention that they generally stay away from interests most people like.

I don't want to discredit them completely, since most of the time they just don't know any better. But they don't seem to take a hint either. Also, this is more so for guys than girls. Although there are girls who are just as obsessive, a lot of them are completely normal and cool.

It's worse in Japan, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori
Eh, I'm the modestly popular kid, because of this no one makes fun of me. And It's not like they have much to make fun of since most of the stuff I really like are mainstream, ex. DragonBall.
People make fun of anime fans because most anime fans make complete and total fools of themselves...

And people bash anything they don't like, and anyone who likes what they don't like.

Confused yet? Wink
(Apr. 27, 2009  5:35 AM)Mr. Toto Wrote: Because most kids interested in anime obsess over it. I've always liked to draw and stuff, so I've always been a closet fan. But back in school, the kids who liked anime and made it known were always the weird ones--escapists with social problems. A lot of them are kids who refuse to grow up too, not to mention that they generally stay away from interests most people like.

I don't want to discredit them completely, since most of the time they just don't know any better. But they don't seem to take a hint either. Also, this is more so for guys than girls. Although there are girls who are just as obsessive, a lot of them are completely normal and cool.

It's worse in Japan, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori

man this is truth.
when i was into anime, i was socially awkward.
i was only 12 but still, it made it hard to make friends because i would rather stay at home watching anime and reading manga.
i eventually made friends online who shared my interests and so i'd come home to them instead of real friends from school.
i wouldn't share with anyone at school that i liked anime so it was hard for me to relate to anyone when i wasn't telling them what i was really into.
sort of messed up those years of my childhood.
I've never actually been made fun of for liking anime. Back in school people were into the more main stream stuff Dragon Ball Z, Digimon and so forth. So I was able to talk to people about it but not the more obscure stuff I watched the Tenchi but not many others seemed to like it the same for Gundam Wing apprantly they didnt have enough action not to mention they didn't like the idea of giant robots . . . tell me what is not awsome about giant robots blowing stuff up ohnestly.
lol. in my school most of students do watch anime! so no one makes fun of liking anime. but they dont watch these kind of animes: beyblade,digimon.... they watch stuff like naruto, bleach...

btw we are in high school.
The most dumb-carp and annoying thing for me was, I invited a few of my friends to an anime con and they all laughed at me and taunted me for like a year.

One day, they discovered bleach and now they're all obsessed with anime and stuff, and have been asking me to go with them to anime cons. Ugh, I don't see how people can be so horrible to you because you like something and then a year later turn around and say "hey, actually I changed my mind and like it now." without even apologising.

Then again, they don't like anime because it's anime, bleach is just sort of a fad at my school. Probably because of all the fighting and stuff. They don't really watch other animes, just bleach and say they're "anime fans". =/
For the most part, I'd say it isn't the fact that they like anime that they're bashing them for, I'd say it's more the kind of people who tend to like anime.
I mean outside of Japan, anime is generally taken up by the comic book fan/geek audience.
Generally people who're already a target for criticism since they don't fit in to the sociological norm.
Anime's just another reason to pick on those who don't fit in.
In all honesty, I wouldn't really say I was an anime fan, I think most of it is really, really bad.
For me, it's usually the kind of thing that could be made in to a credible film that I'm drawn to, things that are well written and brilliantly produced, like the studio Ghibli series...
As aposed to carp like Dragonball Z Tired Gah, eeeevery time, as soon as some aposing threat comes along, there is yet ANOTHER level of Super Saiyan, more glowing, twitching and bulging.
In fact, I think that probably attributes to a lot of anime bashing also, most of its pretty terribly written, with poor voice acting, and is (as a general rule) aimed towards a young target audience when it shouldn't be, leading to a major dumbing down of the original Japanese material.
Although I don't bash anime fanatics anymore, it is pretty annoying how some want so hard to be Japanese that they start to use Japanese words mixed in with English sentences. Or just use easy Japanese words like "ohayo" or "baka" for example.
(Apr. 27, 2009  8:41 PM)dieddead46 Wrote: As aposed to carp like Dragonball Z Tired Gah, eeeevery time, as soon as some aposing threat comes along, there is yet ANOTHER level of Super Saiyan, more glowing, twitching and bulging.
In fact, I think that probably attributes to a lot of anime bashing also, most of its pretty terribly written, with poor voice acting, and is (as a general rule) aimed towards a young target audience when it shouldn't be, leading to a major dumbing down of the original Japanese material.

Dude, me and you are going to be best friends forever.