Why do some people totally bash people who like anime??

(Apr. 29, 2009  4:24 PM)Rocky Wrote: English = annie-may

I pronounce it like Rocky then.
(Apr. 29, 2009  4:35 PM)Rocky Wrote: I thought you might jump me for that. ^^; Still, I don't think you can really argue it much. People pronounce 'animation' differently as well depending on where they come from and how they speak. I don't think you can define it too much. I say annie-may and an-uh-may and probably a hybrid of the two depending on how I'm feeling/how I'm talking.
I'm talking about loudmouth, arrogant girl covered in black and acne from New York trying to tell me it's pronounced "ah-nee-mey". Not European, not Japanese, not Spanish, not Martian. New Yorker.
.............okay? I think you're a bit too worked up. Speechless She may have been rude to you but can't you both be right? Unhappy

Besides, no one got it more wrong than me when I was 10 and I thought it was pronounced 'aneem'. XD
(Apr. 29, 2009  4:41 PM)Rocky Wrote: .............okay? I think you're a bit too worked up. Speechless She may have been rude to you but can't you both be right? Unhappy
Gah, nevermind... I'm not going to argue the pronunciation of a classification of a cartoon. Uncertain
(Apr. 29, 2009  4:24 PM)Rocky Wrote: English = annie-may

Lol, That's more like a name for someone.
(Apr. 29, 2009  3:53 PM)Minion Wrote: [Image: img3679.jpg]

lmao
(Apr. 29, 2009  6:31 AM)Roan Wrote: Not really. It was a small class both years (only about 13 kids) and there were one or two otaku in there with me, but most of them were my close friends who aren't all "ZOMG ANIME WA SUTEKI DESUUUUU lolz xD". I took the class because it was required that we have 2 years of a foreign language to graduate, and seeing as how our options were only Spanish and Japanese, I took the more adventurous route.

I'll admit, I used to have a pretty big fascination with Japanese culture when I was younger but I have totally grown out of it and I've grown to loathe that part of my life. lmao

omg story of my life! i won't lie, i use to obsess as well. but only to those who liked anime as well, so it wasn't like i was stuffing it down their throats. im definitely a lot more mature and consider that part of my life my more childish side.

i go through many phases & anime was one of them. but my family teased me a bit, which made me kind of remember my anime loving days. then my friend sent me that link, which got me to starting this thread.

thnx for all the responses, guys!!! Smile
people really did not care for what you did. my highschool was kinda like a highschool you whould want to go to with no problems but when some of the kids in the anime click started to be jerks and pick on people they gave anime and anime fans a bad name. i think it started at the end of my freshman year and then it got worse when a friend of mine that loved anime tried to pick on the football team and basketball team and other sports teams. then the school kids started throwing the friend of mine in the trash can for being a jerk and started picking on him everyday about anime. we did not pick on kids(well i did not cause i liked the same thing) who loved anime but the ones who gave it a bad name (some came dressed as their fav character) my football teamates picked on them. we even picked on them cause they picked on one of their own. one anime group one day at lunch where the football players had their own table beside us there was sometimes they pick on their own which he was a more quite than the others,well i came over their and picked on them cuase they picked on their own and i told them to stop picking on him becuase they were worst off then he was. Also since they were jerks to the more popular clicks you whould think the more popular clicks(rodeo team,football team,powerlifting team,dominoe team aka the blacks,cheerleaders,mexicans,hilbillies) all picked on them and made anime a mockery of them. now that the classes of 03-08 is gone i bet people wont pick on them now.

ps football team and anime kids always have a debat on which consel is better(playstation or nintendo). i had to go with my teamates on that.

ps.sometimes i thought that both sides (anime and jocks) went overbourde with picking on people. sometimes it was to pick on the anime kid who was picking on a smaller anime kid but sometimes i did not hang with the jocks becuase sometimes they did it with no reason to do it. now some of the anime kids that gave it a bad name he is excluded from the other anime kids cause they give it a bad name and they dont want anything to do with them. also i think one of them came to a tourney (smash brothers,it was filled with so many anime fans) he gave everyone a reason to not like them and we was rooting for the other person who goes against him to beat him. he finally got beat in the 8th round then we found out he aint no joke at smash expecially with bowser.
It can be stressful at times because my interests are so varied, and so are the people I hang with. I'm into a lot of popular music, but I am also into more things that are considered "Uncool" such as anime and gaming. I find that I don't catch as much carp for anime as I do for being a competitive gamer. Most of that come from the closed minded jocks that think that the only way something can be a sport is if you play with balls.

(For those here who are like that, the definition of sport is "competitive activity played by either 2 or more people or teams." Nothing about having to be athletic, or in great shape, or being able to run the Mile in 8 minutes or less)
(Apr. 30, 2009  4:36 PM)jamil coleman Wrote: random bs

learn how to type sensibly. that was harder to decipher than the rosetta stone.
Fragbait Wrote:only way something can be a sport is if you play with balls.
Why do you make it so easy to make jokes?
Seriously though, I just keep quiet with it. Recently discovered one of my classmates watches Death Note Grin
(Apr. 30, 2009  5:48 PM)fragbait Wrote: (For those here who are like that, the definition of sport is "competitive activity played by either 2 or more people or teams." Nothing about having to be athletic, or in great shape, or being able to run the Mile in 8 minutes or less)

Really, what dictionary do you use?

Pulled out of the Oxford English Dictionary

sport

• noun 1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others. 2 informal a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, etc. 3 success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting. 4 dated entertainment; fun. 5 chiefly Austral./NZ a friendly form of address, especially between unacquainted men. 6 Biology an animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type as a result of spontaneous mutation.

• verb 1 wear or display (a distinctive item). 2 amuse oneself or play in a lively way.

While I have nothing against competitive gaming, I don't necessarily take it as a sport. Sports do require physical exertion. That's not to say competitive gaming doesn't take large amounts of skill and practice, I just think 'sport' is a bit of a stretch.
well really, anything can be construed to have physical exertion and skill, including beyblade
Jamil: You seem to like stereotyping yourself as a jock.

As for me, I don't care if people bash it. People can have their own opinions on it, as much as some people anger me because of the stuff they write about it. I don't keep my love for anime undercover, if people make fun of me for it they're pretty low, I've never come across some one who realy teases me for it anyway so i'm not botherd. If you got to know me you would consider me as a geek, but a proud one.
People will forever mock people who like different things, its how it's always been. That's why some people totally bash people who like anime.

I was deemed the 16/ 17 year old who still liked Pokemon, because someone saw me doodling in a manga style and it was the only anime they'd seen. That stuck for about a year because people just don't let things pass.

I admit I'm a geek, watch anime, play games, do a little low-key cosply (at events). But I have limits much stricter than some people I've come to know.
(May. 01, 2009  1:15 AM)To Wrote: [Image: 66104365.jpg]

I was doomed from the start.

lmao
(Apr. 30, 2009  11:11 PM)Munkerz Wrote: I admit I'm a geek, watch anime, play games, do a little low-key cosply (at events). But I have limits much stricter than some people I've come to know.

Who says being a "geek" is a bad thing?

TONS of people play video games nowadays, especially with casual gaming coming into effect even more (i.e. Wii fit/sports/whatever).

It doesn't really matter what your interests are, people shouldn't hate you just for liking anime. Someone liking anime doesn't make them any less human. Plus, I'm pretty sure most people do stuff OTHER than watch anime. It's just a case of finding what you have in common with someone, then you can have a great conversation easily. =D

I.e. many of my friends are great football fans, but hate video games. I'm a great gaming fan but hate football. Doesn't mean we can't talk. Instead we just talk about music/food/cars/whatever else comes to mind! =]
(May. 01, 2009  10:11 PM)Pikachao Wrote: Who says being a "geek" is a bad thing?

Never said it was. Though it viewed as a negative word by allot of people, I'm perfectly happy doing what I like, and what I like is geekey.

When I said games, I meant along the lines of RPG's, retro games, even some table-top games and TCGs. You know, things further on that side of the spectrum. I can't stand sport based video games, and most FPS games (The Unreal series though, I'm a little hooked on).

And of course anime fans are going to have other interests. Well, you'd hope so (for the sake of their own mental stability). Football, not something I can watch, it bores the carp out of me, but I like to play.
(May. 02, 2009  12:54 PM)Munkerz Wrote: When I said games, I meant along the lines of RPG's, retro games, even some table-top games and TCGs. You know, things further on that side of the spectrum. I can't stand sport based video games, and most FPS games (The Unreal series though, I'm a little hooked on).

And of course anime fans are going to have other interests. Well, you'd hope so (for the sake of their own mental stability). Football, not something I can watch, it bores the carp out of me, but I like to play.

I like TCGs but I never have the money to support me playing them for the most part. I dislike sport based video games too. I haven't played football for years, none of the teachers try to make me do it at school because I just refuse to play every time they attempt to make me.

I'm okay with FPS games but I'd play them for fun rather than being the best. I have MMOs like Runescape for that. It's funny that people see Runescape as an easy, childrens' game yet to get to the maximum level in runecrafting it takes way over 400 hours of gameplay. The feeling of accomplishment is so great when you achieve something in it. ^^
I hate football because you never get too play. Just go out there for five secconds, run in to someboy, then sit on the bench and drink gatorade. I love soccoer and basketball. So im not a total un-jock (whatever a word would be). I love anime and gaming, also soccer and basketball. Im kind of mixed. I enjoy most board games too.
(May. 08, 2009  1:57 AM)jsc Wrote: I hate football because you never get too play. Just go out there for five secconds, run in to someboy, then sit on the bench and drink gatorade. I love soccoer and basketball. So im not a total un-jock (whatever a word would be). I love anime and gaming, also soccer and basketball. Im kind of mixed. I enjoy most board games too.

thank you for making it easier for me to never listen to any of your posts as it pertains to sports ever again
Well, yeah you like football but thats just what I've seen. This is why I never play football at school but I do enjoy throwing footballs back and forth. Wink
(May. 08, 2009  1:57 AM)jsc Wrote: I hate football because you never get too play. Just go out there for five secconds, run in to someboy, then sit on the bench and drink gatorade.

get out
(May. 08, 2009  2:16 AM)jsc Wrote: Well, yeah you like football but thats just what I've seen. This is why I never play football at school but I do enjoy throwing footballs back and forth. Wink

I really dont like when people say they dont like something that i love then give horrible answers at to why they dont like them. What you did to football before was what people do to anime give stupid reasons as to why you shouldnt like it.