Why do some people totally bash people who like anime??

You mean Ramune, not chocolate. That's Switzerland! ;p
lmao, well you get the point.
The only reason why I'd go to Japan is if they had a large scale tournament and I had more than enough money to cover myself to go.

I can appreciate Japan for their work in the motor industry, too. Oh, and their game shows.
Seriously, anime fans are way too deluded about Japan. Yes, like most countries Japan has lots of awesome traits, but there are also serious financial and social issues that are crippling the population there. BUT NEVERMIND TEH ANIMES!!
Not to mention how little the higher-ups in the country actually change. Japan has had the same political party in control for the last 55 years! It's insane, and I think that sort of stagnation reflects stagnation in other aspects of the society as a whole when it comes to things like social progress.

The Japan portrayed in the vast majority of manga, anime, and drama is nothing like the reality. Is the America you see in most movies, comics, and TV shows just like the real deal?
(Apr. 29, 2009  5:39 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Seriously, anime fans are way too deluded about Japan. Yes, like most countries Japan has lots of awesome traits, but there are also serious financial and social issues that are crippling the population there. BUT NEVERMIND TEH ANIMES!!

Exactly!

Even though my visit there was relatively short, it was still pretty obvious that the 'bizarre' scene there was fairly contained and most of the country was very conservative. Some of the rules and protocols would be considered borderline carp for most westerners.

There were many things I found great in Japan, but I guarantee you Anime was not in the top three. Their public transportation is fabulous, the integration of technology in everyday life was very impressive and definitely more advanced that NA and they were extremely polite. These are what stood out to me.

Did I mention having designated slippers per section of a building is a major pain in the carp.

And let's not even mention the economy there right now.
(Apr. 29, 2009  5:46 AM)AnnieDuck Wrote: The Japan portrayed in the vast majority of manga, anime, and drama is nothing like the reality. Is the America you see in most movies, comics, and TV shows just like the real deal?
Of course! NYC is constantly being attacked by aliens , super villains, and mutants!
(Apr. 29, 2009  5:05 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Seriously though, I think it's because anime fans are unable to separate themselves from their interests and it comes across as really obnoxious. I can spot most anime fans on the damn street because they're wearing some terrible anime carp and speaking in random Japanese. When you see me walk down the street, I'm not covered in Beyblade parts or anything. Learn to be interested in something without being engulfed by it.

*removes bey-jewlery*

You're obsessed with dead serpents and insist on covering yourself with them.

I farking love anime, but I'm no otaku weeaboo.
The reason people hate anime fans lies within the fact that they're annoying. I myself know this as I used to irritate my brother about it all the time.

Just think about it. My brother is a dirt biking out doors skate boarder person type thing. For all he cares Anime can burn in carp. I think someone said that it's about forcing it down someone's throat. If you like anime, that's fine, you can watch it. For me it's more like I enjoy a good show, and if I like the story, then I'll watch it, but that goes for Animes and any TV show.

Even I get really annoyed by this girl at school who wears anime shirts every day and talks about how she is going to live in Japan. Not only does it make me laugh and think of Brad's hatred forevermore, but it really agitates the carp out of me. It's more of an insecurity to want to go to Japan just because Manga and Anime is made there.
I dislike girls who try to draw anime style and suck at it. They flaunt their drawings of girls with heads to a 1:3 scale of their bodies. Their eyes are huge and emotionless, and their limbs would break underneath the weight of the head.

But hey, everyone thinks they have amazing art!

You know "anime" is actually in the dictionary now? One girl who was the president of the anime club called it "ah-nee-may". Pissed me off so much. Seriously, it's in the dictionary pronounced as "an-uh-mey". I didn't even like anime, but I still knew more about it than she did.
(Apr. 29, 2009  6:14 AM)Deikailo Wrote: One girl who was the president of the anime club called it "ah-nee-may". Pissed me off so much. Seriously, it's in the dictionary pronounced as "an-uh-mey". I didn't even like anime, but I still knew more about it than she did.

Ok, to be fair on this point, if she were actually speaking Japanese then her pronunciation would be correct.

I took two years of Japanese in High School, so yeah... I'm not saying this to be a douche (actually I DESPISE anime), I'm just pointing it out.
People usually bash anime because they constantly talk about it and it starts to get on their nerves.
I like anime but I don't obsess over it, I have a friend who is obsessed with all this Anime Japanese stuff and never shuts up about it, he can't have a conversation about anything else except Japanese stuff. Oh well..
(Apr. 29, 2009  5:58 AM)Minion Wrote: You're obsessed with dead serpents and insist on covering yourself with them.

that's so 2005, i'm into floral now

also i've never worn actual snakeskin
(Apr. 29, 2009  6:20 AM)Raykon Wrote: People usually bash anime because they constantly talk about it and it starts to get on their nerves.
I like anime but I don't obsess over it, I have a friend who is obsessed with all this Anime Japanese stuff and never shuts up about it, he can't have a conversation about anything else except Japanese stuff. Oh well..

lol i admit for any show if i really like it i have little instanses where i obsess over it and talk about it a little to much but it doesnt always happen.
(Apr. 29, 2009  6:18 AM)Roan Wrote: Ok, to be fair on this point, if she were actually speaking Japanese then her pronunciation would be correct.

I took two years of Japanese in High School, so yeah... I'm not saying this to be a douche (actually I DESPISE anime), I'm just pointing it out.
Yes, I know it's actually pronounced that way in Japanese, but she was speaking English. She doesn't know a lick of Japanese. I don't say "Doranza" instead of "Dranzer" just because it came from Japan. Uncertain

Poor Roan. You were probably surrounded by anime freaks, weren't you?
I think this applies to anything really. People in general don't like those who are overly imposing in their beliefs. If I went around preaching about how awesome beyblade is and talking down anyone who doesn't agree I probably would be considered an carp.

Anime is no different. I enjoy a good series once in a while, and check out recommendations friends make. However the dislike stems from the attitudes of people who can't deal with a different opinion on a subject.
(Apr. 29, 2009  6:24 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Poor Roan. You were probably surrounded by anime freaks, weren't you?

Not really. It was a small class both years (only about 13 kids) and there were one or two otaku in there with me, but most of them were my close friends who aren't all "ZOMG ANIME WA SUTEKI DESUUUUU lolz xD". I took the class because it was required that we have 2 years of a foreign language to graduate, and seeing as how our options were only Spanish and Japanese, I took the more adventurous route.

I'll admit, I used to have a pretty big fascination with Japanese culture when I was younger but I have totally grown out of it and I've grown to loathe that part of my life. lmao
(Apr. 29, 2009  6:31 AM)Roan Wrote: Not really. It was a small class both years (only about 13 kids) and there were one or two otaku in there with me, but most of them were my close friends who aren't all "ZOMG ANIME WA SUTEKI DESUUUUU lolz xD". I took the class because it was required that we have 2 years of a foreign language to graduate, and seeing as how our options were only Spanish and Japanese, I took the more adventurous route.

I'll admit, I used to have a pretty big fascination with Japanese culture when I was younger but I have totally grown out of it and I've grown to loathe that part of my life. lmao
I used to like it, but I never wanted to live there. Always had a fascination with Canada because of Brad's amazing tournaments.

We had to either take French, Latin, or Spanish. I took Latin. I wish I took Spanish. I went into sales, and it's a plus if you can speak Spanish!
(Apr. 29, 2009  6:22 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: that's so 2005, i'm into floral now

also i've never worn actual snakeskin

[Image: img3679.jpg]
(Apr. 29, 2009  3:53 PM)Minion Wrote: [Image: img3679.jpg]
FTW!
OMG! Anime isn't prodounced 'A-nee-may' in English?
I've called it that my whole life and I consider myself to be an Anime fan Gasp Every other person that likes aAnime around me pronounces it like that aswell.
(Apr. 29, 2009  4:10 PM)NeekAlert Wrote: OMG! Anime isn't prodounced 'A-nee-may' in English?
I've called it that my whole life and I consider myself to be an Anime fan Gasp Every other person that likes aAnime around me pronounces it like that aswell.
Are you pronouncing the "A" as "ah" or "anne"?
Now with recognizeable words!
Japanese = ah-knee-meh
English = annie-may
This is what I've always thought anyways. UK and US might differ a little I guess. Non-Japanese people tend to put more emphasis on the 'e' and pronounce it as they would do in 'café'.

And I don't think the doranza>dranzer thing really counts. We say Dranzer because it's the official English Translation by Nelvana. If they never translated it then yeah, we'd call it Doranza. Confused
(Apr. 29, 2009  4:24 PM)Rocky Wrote: Now with recognizeable words!
Japanese = ah-knee-meh
English = annie-may
This is what I've always thought anyways. UK and US might differ a little I guess. Non-Japanese people tend to put more emphasis on the 'e' and pronounce it as they would do in 'café'.

And I don't think the doranza>dranzer thing really counts. We say Dranzer because it's the official English Translation by Nelvana. If they never translated it then yeah, we'd call it Doranza. Confused
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anime
I thought you might jump me for that. ^^; Still, I don't think you can really argue it much. People pronounce 'animation' differently as well depending on where they come from and how they speak. I don't think you can define it too much. I say annie-may and an-uh-may and probably a hybrid of the two depending on how I'm feeling/how I'm talking.

Also......that's just an internet dictionary. Wiki has a different pronounciation. There are bound to be variations.