Why are we embarrassed about beys??

I first want to say this, I'm not criticizing anybody. Second, seriously why are we afraid to tell others that we beyblade? I too can't bring myself to show others my favorite thing in the entire world.

In this thread share your reasons why you don't want to tell others about beyblade, fears, and suspicions you have.

Here is mine: In a small class of eleven kids (three boys) the people that stop being my friends over something so stupid. There will be like 3 or 4 people who won't ditch me entirely. So there.

Also do not post anything on "hiding beyblade from your friends" only why you are afraid.

can a mod put this on who general,i accidentally clicked North america when i was creating this thread?
I think the reasoning is that as we grow older, we want to be seen less as being childish. When you're in high school you're almost an adult, but you're not quite there yet so you're seen as a kid. If you do something that is considered childish (Like playing with toys) then you compromise that "adult" aspect of yourself. When I was in high school I was afraid of my friends finding out, but now I'm in college and I see the other childish things that my friends do so I couldn't care less.
I think the part of me that makes me care what others think is broken. I've never cared about anything like this, though I haven't noticed anyone treating me any differently on it. Only when I spend a bunch of money at once on it, then they make fun of me for spending hundreds of dollars on a toy, but only as a joke.

Though I'm 16, and that was in Arizona, probably in the most accepting town I've ever seen. We had every type of person at that highschool, so I guess it might have just been that everyone didn't expect anything?
The anime was a big part of why I didn't tell people seeing how childish it was haha. The hobby itself I'm not afraif to talk about.
I collect Megazords and Kamen Rider belts.
I get a lot more flack; which I gladly will take.

I brought my Mobirates to school and they were like wtf and I was like Idgaf so yeah.

That's it.
Beyblade is competitive; takes skill.
Not really a TOY per say.
(Nov. 26, 2014  6:39 AM)Neo Wrote: That's it.

Lol, being competitive doesn't mean that it's not a toy. Tongue_out
(Nov. 26, 2014  6:39 AM)Neo Wrote: I collect Megazords and Kamen Rider belts.
I get a lot more flack; which I gladly will take.

I brought my Mobirates to school and they were like wtf and I was like Idgaf so yeah.

That's it.

I second that.

Beyblade is alot more complicated than it looks.
Actually I'm not afraid to tell anyone that I 'beyblade' ...
Some people consider it childish some do not. Anyways people's opinion doesn't matter. They're always there to come in your way and interfere in others life
I call football, cricket childish coz I used to play it for years ( almost literally everyday for 6-9 years) when I was a kid.. Now I don't have time for that stuff, totally boring and it doesn't take me anywhere nor do I benefit from it Wink
EDIT: nevermind
I'm not afraid to discuss Beyblade - as a matter of fact, I wrote a 5-page paper covering the history and a brief summary of MFB's meta for an English report, which I had to read to my class. No problem. But I almost never discuss Beyblade with anyone or bring it up, simply because there isn't any reason to; only a handful of people I know even know what Beyblade is, and it's unnecessary to annoy others by talking about something they have no interest in. My approach to conversation is rather passive, so unless someone else brings Beyblade up directly, I probably won't feel any need to talk about it.
I myself am on the same page as Cake. I'm generally never afraid to talk about Beyblade, as long as someone - one actually interested and curious about the game, is willing to talk about it, not one who would start giggling halfway through a conversation. Really nobody however in my Middle School plays the game, so it does kinda suck for me.

The reason why I'm also quite afraid to let people know about how much I like it is this:

Shido Wrote:I do feel a tad afraid of letting others know, given how rude most of the kids at my school are and can be.

I do generally stand up for myself and peers, but in this case, I feel worried that I'd be the laugh of the school, someone to be gossiped about, as well. That being said, again, like Cake, unless someone mentions Beyblade to me, I have no other interest to talk about it that much outside of this forum and the awesome members on it. Tongue_out
(Nov. 26, 2014  7:53 AM)Wizard Wrote:

Not really.
A metal, PVC, and rubber top isn't as toy like compared to the standard Power Ranger figure.

(Nov. 27, 2014  1:53 AM)Cake Wrote: I'm not afraid to discuss Beyblade - as a matter of fact, I wrote a 5-page paper covering the history and a brief summary of MFB's meta for an English report, which I had to read to my class. No problem. But I almost never discuss Beyblade with anyone or bring it up, simply because there isn't any reason to; only a handful of people I know even know what Beyblade is, and it's unnecessary to annoy others by talking about something they have no interest in. My approach to conversation is rather passive, so unless someone else brings Beyblade up directly, I probably won't feel any need to talk about it.

How did the class react?
(Nov. 27, 2014  3:52 AM)Neo Wrote:
(Nov. 26, 2014  7:53 AM)Wizard Wrote:

Not really.
A metal, PVC, and rubber top isn't as toy like compared to the standard Power Ranger figure.

(Nov. 27, 2014  1:53 AM)Cake Wrote: I'm not afraid to discuss Beyblade - as a matter of fact, I wrote a 5-page paper covering the history and a brief summary of MFB's meta for an English report, which I had to read to my class. No problem. But I almost never discuss Beyblade with anyone or bring it up, simply because there isn't any reason to; only a handful of people I know even know what Beyblade is, and it's unnecessary to annoy others by talking about something they have no interest in. My approach to conversation is rather passive, so unless someone else brings Beyblade up directly, I probably won't feel any need to talk about it.

How did the class react?

It was marketed towards kids around 8 as a play thing made by a toy company. It's not a pellet gun lol.
Im very open about my liking of beyblade,If they don't like it deal with it

Like Shido and Cake,If no one brings it up then I don't have to talk about it,Simple
The reason is peer pressure. After we find out that many people around us think beys are stupid, we are embarrassed. How can beys be stupid, I mean, if you shoot a bey at somebody their bones will be broken!
(Nov. 27, 2014  4:57 AM)Galaxynovapegs Wrote: The reason is peer pressure. After we find out that many people around us think beys are stupid, we are embarrassed. How can beys be stupid, I mean, if you shoot a bey at somebody their bones will be broken!

I highly doubt that.
(Nov. 27, 2014  4:57 AM)Galaxynovapegs Wrote: The reason is peer pressure. After we find out that many people around us think beys are stupid, we are embarrassed. How can beys be stupid, I mean, if you shoot a bey at somebody their bones will be broken!

That doesn't even make any sense...
If you attempt to launch a beyblade at someone it will hit the ground, cuz gravity. But that's not the right reason to brag about beyblades.
(Nov. 27, 2014  5:06 AM)BURGER KING Wrote:

I highly doubt that.

If you shoot a bey really hard at someone, the bey won't do anything to people's skin, but I once shot my bey at a bully because I was so mad and he had a fracture in his right rib.(he tried to sue me)Confused

(Nov. 27, 2014  5:07 AM)Shido-kun Wrote:

That doesn't even make any sense...

Read my reply to burger king

(Nov. 27, 2014  5:59 AM)Dual Wrote:
If you attempt to launch a beyblade at someone it will hit the ground, cuz gravity. But that's not the right reason to brag about beyblades.

I know it is not the right reason but I just got so sensitive. No one talks like that about beybladesAngry. And also, if you shoot really hard at someone, based on your strength, you can hit him. You shouldn't pull the cord, you have to push the machine towards your target. That way, based on the weight and design of your bey,it will streak forward before it hits the ground.
It may have bruised his rib but unless he had a medical defect, I don't think it was fractured.

I think also a reason people frown upon them is because they assume your extreme and obsessed with them *hint hint*
Well, if someone walked right up to you and started to passively defend, per say, Power Rangers, and talked about how it's not crappy and its full of good actors, you're going to think that theyre crazy, because they are defending a topic that was not you were not arguing against in the first place. It shows their insecurity. That could be one reason some very passionate people are mocked.

Anywho, when it really comes down to it, nobody cares what you do with your life and your time. It's not theirs. Usually anyone who goes out of their way to mock you or say that you're stupid is very insecure and believes that by putting you down, he can make him or her self look better.

It's a sad, bad, mad world we live in I'm afraid.
I'm a 20 year old polisci major at the university of virginia. In high school I won 3 athletic state championships and was voted homecoming king my senior year. Oh and also, BEYBLADE IS MY ISH. I must admit though, I did keep it hidden for quite a while. At times, even from my own parents. I had no friends who would have understood. I was ashamed of it. But then I realized that hiding something that I was passionate about was like hiding a part of me. And to be ashamed was to be shameful of my own self. Be who you want to be, do what you want to do, and be confident in who you are. Makes life a lot more simple.
(Nov. 27, 2014  3:40 AM)Shido Wrote: I myself am on the same page as Cake. I'm generally never afraid to talk about Beyblade, as long as someone - one actually interested and curious about the game, is willing to talk about it, not one who would start giggling halfway through a conversation. Really nobody however in my Middle School plays the game, so it does kinda suck for me.

The reason why I'm also quite afraid to let people know about how much I like it is this:

Shido Wrote:I do feel a tad afraid of letting others know, given how rude most of the kids at my school are and can be.

I do generally stand up for myself and peers, but in this case, I feel worried that I'd be the laugh of the school, someone to be gossiped about, as well. That being said, again, like Cake, unless someone mentions Beyblade to me, I have no other interest to talk about it that much outside of this forum and the awesome members on it. Tongue_out

agreed. enough said.

(Nov. 28, 2014  1:29 AM)BURGER KING Wrote: It may have bruised his rib but unless he had a medical defect, I don't think it was fractured.

I think also a reason people frown upon them is because they assume your extreme and obsessed with them *hint hint*
lol i am extreme and obsessed XD
(Nov. 28, 2014  9:06 AM)VaBlader4Life Wrote: I'm a 20 year old polisci major at the university of virginia. In high school I won 3 athletic state championships and was voted homecoming king my senior year. Oh and also, BEYBLADE IS MY ISH. I must admit though, I did keep it hidden for quite a while. At times, even from my own parents. I had no friends who would have understood. I was ashamed of it. But then I realized that hiding something that I was passionate about was like hiding a part of me. And to be ashamed was to be shameful of my own self. Be who you want to be, do what you want to do, and be confident in who you are. Makes life a lot more simple.

That was probably the best summary of that whole "hiding-beyblade-problem" I´ve ever read. Very well-worded, bro! I fully agree.

@BURGER KING: lol, DK?? XD
(Nov. 28, 2014  8:55 PM)~Stoney~ Wrote:
(Nov. 28, 2014  9:06 AM)VaBlader4Life Wrote: I'm a 20 year old polisci major at the university of virginia. In high school I won 3 athletic state championships and was voted homecoming king my senior year. Oh and also, BEYBLADE IS MY ISH. I must admit though, I did keep it hidden for quite a while. At times, even from my own parents. I had no friends who would have understood. I was ashamed of it. But then I realized that hiding something that I was passionate about was like hiding a part of me. And to be ashamed was to be shameful of my own self. Be who you want to be, do what you want to do, and be confident in who you are. Makes life a lot more simple.

That was probably the best summary of that whole "hiding-beyblade-problem" I´ve ever read. Very well-worded, bro! I fully agree.

@BURGER KING: lol, DK?? XD
It just makes all beyblade fans look bad when older kids/people go around acting like they're in the anime and beyblades are actual weapons, people start making it into a stereotype. Just sayin.
@BURGER KING: So you are telling me there is a stereotype of people who think beyblades are weapons?'