Why Are Beyblades hated in high school so much?

Just staying that I'd rather play with spinning tops than do what is considered normal.
You have the right to do anything you want to do! You should listen to your own voice!!
I never said you shouldn't do what you want even if it isn't normal for your age group eg it's a bit more normal to play with beyblades if your under 13 than if your over 15 like me. I just don't tell people cause i'm don't have that many friends as it is and I could do without being dubbed a weirdo cause I like beyblades.
Im starting high school this year but im afraid ill be ridiculed by everyone except my 2 best friends and 4 years of school seems like along time for me.
Plus i doubt any one at one of the best high schools (International Acadamy in Michigan) would be interested and i plan on getting a girlfriend this year and it dosnt help that the most annoying kid in my school knows her and he can talk to her before i have a chance. But once i have a girlfriend i dont care if anyone at school knows
iam 15 teen and there is a lil bit of pepole still beyblade
(May. 31, 2010  1:56 AM)madden610 Wrote: Im starting high school this year but im afraid ill be ridiculed by everyone except my 2 best friends and 4 years of school seems like along time for me.
Plus i doubt any one at one of the best high schools (International Acadamy in Michigan) would be interested and i plan on getting a girlfriend this year and it dosnt help that the most annoying kid in my school knows her and he can talk to her before i have a chance. But once i have a girlfriend i dont care if anyone at school knows

Relationships aren't for everyone, pal.
Hahah
Quote:Cigars
Man I want to meet the teen that can afford Cigars... then take his money.
back on topic. I'm a first year uni student, and I don't see any way beyblade could be a highly embarrassing thing, I mean sure don't go around advertising the fact to every one you meet. But I don't see it as a bad thing, I know my roommates don't really care either way about beyblades and don't treat me any differently for it.
(May. 31, 2010  1:56 AM)madden610 Wrote: Im starting high school this year but im afraid ill be ridiculed by everyone except my 2 best friends and 4 years of school seems like along time for me.

What does having a girlfriend have anything to do with Beyblade? If you feel "ashamed" of your hobby, then just don't tell people. My friends know that I still enjoy the game, and they don't give a hoot. But going back, I believe a lot of high school kids or teens in general have this "hate" towards Beyblades because it doesn't fit in with what's 'in' now. ie electronics, nice clothing and such. If you love what you're doing, then keep on doing it like Brad said
eh people wanted to learn more about it once i said that i beyblade Smile
Tbh they arent really 'hated' as such in mine, I wouldn't go round telling everyone that I play Beyblade lol- I have a few friends that blade also.
if anyone ask you this question in high school or college or university and the question is arent you too old to be playing with tops you reply arent you too young to remember your childhood
Well it's pretty simple as I see it. There are always things that are disliked, mocked, ridiculed by other parties, beyblades, pokemon, vidya gaemz whatever. You either continue what you enjoy doing, or stop it.
Bah, I remember my high school days, most people were into hip-hop, trying to keep up with the latest trends and being "pimp" by watching what's on MTV and that stuff.

Not that I like beyblade, but I mostly kept what I liked to myself. It isin't hated, it's.. not intresting to those 17+ that try to act mature about what they like (I can completely tell by the rap I constantly heard through thier iPods and the "pimpfication" of Vidja and Cartoon characters).

High school is that transitioning phase in my book, basically; trying to keep up with the adults, I've seen several students get sent into the office quarters for their mischief though.
i am 16 turning 17 in december i really dont care what people say. Beyblade to me is like pokemon to others
(Jun. 13, 2010  4:07 PM)tenzeku123 Wrote: if anyone ask you this question in high school or college or university and the question is arent you too old to be playing with tops you reply arent you too young to remember your childhood
don't you mean "Aren't you to young to not remember your childhood"? lol
lol yeah exactly
I don't really care my friends know and they think it's cool, they bring it up in conversations from time to time aswell.
Hey, My friends are cool with it, and i got some of my friends to play.

You should see the amount of Pokemon and Yugioh players at my school. Theres at least 30 people now who play Pokemon, YuGiOh, and Beyblade at my school.

Beyblade is a physics game, not just a kids game.
This, as well as other card games, helps build strategy and quick thinking.
Beyblades are hated in highschool because when you say beyblade people usally associate beyblades with chidrens toys but really they are just a hobby for any age.
It's not just for people who are in highschool. I'm not even in school right now and my Dad found out that I've started playing Beyblade again and he came in my room and started grinding my gears about it. I'd also like to note that I'm 18 years old; work a full time job and am paying for most of my secondary education by myself.

Apparently 40$ on some spinning tops and having fun out of the $800 I make every two weeks (half of which goes to school money) is an overkill of spending.

He also started giving me trouble about my yoyo collection which is about worth $400.

The problem is people see it as a "kids game" not as a game, just a "kids game". I don't really see it as a kids game... I see it as a game marketed at kids like a lot of things are but I don't see it as something only for kids. There's a much deeper element of customization and even just playing with other people. I don't plan to make Beyblading my life it's just something I like to do with a couple of friends every now and then...

I still can't believe he had to come in my room and give me carp about spending my money the way I want to.

~sigh~
(Jun. 17, 2010  4:03 AM)MaxL Wrote: It's not just for people who are in highschool. I'm not even in school right now and my Dad found out that I've started playing Beyblade again and he came in my room and started grinding my gears about it. I'd also like to note that I'm 18 years old; work a full time job and am paying for most of my secondary education by myself.

Apparently 40$ on some spinning tops and having fun out of the $800 I make every two weeks (half of which goes to school money) is an overkill of spending.

He also started giving me trouble about my yoyo collection which is about worth $400.

The problem is people see it as a "kids game" not as a game, just a "kids game". I don't really see it as a kids game... I see it as a game marketed at kids like a lot of things are but I don't see it as something only for kids. There's a much deeper element of customization and even just playing with other people. I don't plan to make Beyblading my life it's just something I like to do with a couple of friends every now and then...

I still can't believe he had to come in my room and give me carp about spending my money the way I want to.

~sigh~

Ouch, that must be the "twitchy spender" type. I know how you feel man, my grandma's like that sometimes when it comes to money. ._.

Money does crazy things to people man. but back on topic, people see it as a kid's game, like Star Wars was viewed as a kid's film back then, and yet people STILL enjoyed it. I think it's just one of those things that just won't die now that I look at it, I wonder how many people still play Magic behind backs of "normal people"? ahh, think about that.
Some people you just can't explain it to or make them understand your hobbies. I could see people being judgmental if it was something I spent all my time with but it's more of a casual thing.
my parents were actully like that,then i showed them the deeper aspect of the game and stuff and now they think of it as an intresting hobby for me.

Lol my dad was amazed when i showed him my plastics zombie spin by hand out spining one launched xD
Ah high school hard to believe I finished 6 years ago now not like I miss it though, the thing about high school is like it's been mentiond so much in the topic already the social aspect of it all. Popularity and such has never really been a big deal in british schools, yeah kids were getting more into anime but more mainstream things like dragon ball and beyblade was seen as a kids show in comparison. The way I see it yeah if people know that's fair enough but when high school is over nobody will care and the chances of you seeing any of those people again unless you want to are very slim indeed.
(Jun. 17, 2010  6:34 AM)Dirge Wrote: my parents were actully like that,then i showed them the deeper aspect of the game and stuff and now they think of it as an intresting hobby for me.

Lol my dad was amazed when i showed him my plastics zombie spin by hand out spining one launched xD

When I started skilltoying (yoyos, astrojax) my parents were really thrown off by it. One day I just had a yoyo and started learning how to do things with it. My Dad hastled me about it all the time and thought that I was trying to make a job out of it or something. After a while he kind of just realized it was a hobby I liked to do and had a knack for. I think sometimes parents are just thrown off when something comes up out of the blue. That being said I don't think my Dad will ever reach a level of understanding with me on Blading just because he sees it as a kids toy and probably will never see it as anything more than a kids toy.