Why Are Beyblades hated in high school so much?

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but why has it almost become an embarrassment to like these things? Thing is, I am 17, and I'm starting to think I am the only one in my entire high school that still hasn't lost it for these things... I gave most of mine away when I got out of high school because I cared about what others thought, and boy do I regret it now.

Anyways, back on topic! Why has it become an embarrassment to still like beyblades?
It's not?
Most things people associate with their childhood are 'embarassing' to be associated with until they inevitably hit that lolNostalgia pase.
I don't think its an embarrassment to still like them, I just think fewer older kids play with them... in most high schools. I'm 17, and I like them also... and I may actually try to have a tournament next year ... so, we'll see how that goes.

But, its really just about how you feel about yourself... don't be embarrassed because you like beyblades... there definitely are others like you out there Smile
(May. 04, 2010  5:21 AM)SaMaster14 Wrote: I don't think its an embarrassment to still like them, I just think fewer older kids play with them... in most high schools. I'm 17, and I like them also... and I may actually try to have a tournament next year ... so, we'll see how that goes.

But, its really just about how you feel about yourself... don't be embarrassed because you like beyblades... there definitely are others like you out there Smile

Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, high school is only 4 years. After that, you'd be surprised at how many people want to be different and how things change.
I find Beyblade more alive than Pokemon, so I do not know why this sort of "hate" is spread.
I'm pretty sure a toy marketed for 8 year olds is something to be embarrassed of when you're 17. Because I totally want to be the guy who screams "Hey guys, I like beyblades! Let it riiiip!", and be an out caste for the rest of my high school life.
It's not really hated, people just don't really like it and think it has no strategic-ness what so ever. You shouldn't really have a problem just as long as you don't go bragging you play Beyblade. Many of my friends know I like Beyblade and don't have a problem against it. Smile
in my high school/jr high it's like an embarrasement to play any game related to a show. with me it's like cod is the only cool game or any other cool action, FPS, or racing game. only a few of my friends know i play chaotic, getting into beyblade now, and I find myself as the only play of the 2 games in the whole school. But, that is completely fine being only 13.
Who cares? Do your thing.
(May. 04, 2010  10:15 AM)NAP Wrote: I'm pretty sure a toy marketed for 8 year olds is something to be embarrassed of when you're 17. Because I totally want to be the guy who screams "Hey guys, I like beyblades! Let it riiiip!", and be an out caste for the rest of my high school life.

You're awfully shallow, then.

Who cares what people think? It's silly.
(May. 04, 2010  10:15 AM)NAP Wrote: I'm pretty sure a toy marketed for 8 year olds is something to be embarrassed of when you're 17. Because I totally want to be the guy who screams "Hey guys, I like beyblades! Let it riiiip!", and be an out caste for the rest of my high school life.

There's a difference between having a hobby and being an annoying, socially awkward weirdo about it.
(May. 04, 2010  3:07 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Who cares? Do your thing.

Thats the best way to put it. :l
really, Who cares?
''Omg, You Play beyblade?''
'' Your Expelled. we are Never Going To Talk To you Anymore''
Real friends wouldn't care, they'd just be like, ''Great, Awesome, So what?''
I think the key is to not seem obsessed with your interests like a lot of otaku etc. are. I like toys, I also like cooking, fashion, sociology, etc. Don't become a nerdy kid who's obsessed with one thing and one thing alone; diversify your interests and open up your eyes to the world around you. There's more to life than cartoons and consumerism.
It's not necessarily "hated". People naturally just see it as a kid's game.
(May. 04, 2010  7:49 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I think the key is to not seem obsessed with your interests like a lot of otaku etc. are. I like toys, I also like cooking, fashion, sociology, etc. Don't become a nerdy kid who's obsessed with one thing and one thing alone; diversify your interests and open up your eyes to the world around you. There's more to life than cartoons and consumerism.

You hit the nail on the head, but it's hard to do that when you're pressured by society to 'conform'.
People at my High School will just say it's really old. But I don't respond and say that it's coming back this year and start a conversation.
Basically, don't go off pulling a keyblader...
[/color] they think it is child toys
(May. 04, 2010  7:53 PM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote: You hit the nail on the head, but it's hard to do that when you're pressured by society to 'conform'.

You need to rise above that pressure. Life becomes a lot easier once you realize you can't please everyone, so focus on pleasing yourself.
its quite embarrassing for me because im the only one in my high school that even has some anymore and any time i talk about beyblade they take the mick outter me
(May. 04, 2010  8:17 PM)jjsonickid Wrote: its quite embarrassing for me because im the only one in my high school that even has some anymore and any time i talk about beyblade they take the mick outter me

So don't talk about it. Why would you talk about to them if they aren't interested?
(May. 04, 2010  8:16 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(May. 04, 2010  7:53 PM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote: You hit the nail on the head, but it's hard to do that when you're pressured by society to 'conform'.

You need to rise above that pressure. Life becomes a lot easier once you realize you can't please everyone, so focus on pleasing yourself.

lol at the wording of the last phrase.
(May. 04, 2010  8:43 PM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote: lol at the wording of the last phrase.

Ahh, we've discovered the truth: you're one of those socially awkward nerds I mentioned.
(May. 04, 2010  8:47 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(May. 04, 2010  8:43 PM)Cpt. Squirrel Wrote: lol at the wording of the last phrase.

Ahh, we've discovered the truth: you're one of those socially awkward nerds I mentioned.

lol, not really, can't someone just appreciate immature innuendos? Just as I thought we were getting along too.
I'm only in eighth grade, but I'm entering high school next year. (obviously) but I don't get why anybody would be embarrassed by something like this. like if somebody is afraid of something like this then I guess they will have either lots of fun or lots of boredom playing with a Storm Pegasus under a table. (probably boredom) lol but I don't really care if I go all the way through my 4 years of high school getting picked on for liking what I like. for me it's pretty much like what Kiyo said on Zatch Bell "I quite letting stuff like that get to me years ago"