What have you done?

I know I'm carp scared of being banned when I speak up with my opinion. Of course when I did speak up against it. Everyone jumped down my throat about it because they blamed it on the fact I don't have a rep. My opinions are very often quite different from everyone else. Whether it be my views on Alcohol or on this whole rep system.

Fact is this like most communities connected with similar views there is actually a group or "mob" mentality here. It's almost to the point of fanaticism. I find it frightening to speak up because I have different opinions on a lot of things that are opposite from everyone else. It scares me to speak up because it's no longer really a risk since it will like definitely be shot down. It's just doing something stupid simply because I think it's right.
(Aug. 28, 2008  12:02 AM)Train Wrote: I know I'm carp scared of being banned when I speak up with my opinion. Of course when I did speak up against it. Everyone jumped down my throat about it because they blamed it on the fact I don't have a rep. My opinions are very often quite different from everyone else. Whether it be my views on Alcohol or on this whole rep system.

Fact is this like most communities connected with similar views there is actually a group or "mob" mentality here. It's almost to the point of fanaticism. I find it frightening to speak up because I have different opinions on a lot of things that are opposite from everyone else. It scares me to speak up because it's no longer really a risk since it will like definitely be shot down. It's just doing something stupid simply because I think it's right.

Don't play the victim card. No one attacked you in that reputation thread; nothing to worth comparing it to a 'mob mentality'.

Also, you're afraid to speak what you think? On a message board? Really? Afraid of what? The ever constant 'ban hammer' to those who dissent against the staff?

Please.
Do you think I am a person who doesn't try to practice the same things he preaches? If you don't think that I've been trying to create positive change, then that is fine, but I think I am trying to help and shape the forum in my own ways.

The examples I listed before were about my other point, but if that point won't be addressed until you want me to find proof for the point you wish to address, I'll find proof. Of course, I doubt my proof will be taken

Off of the top of my head, you or other members of the forums have been unfairly rude to Evan, Bluezee, Train, Boh, and a few others in the past.

edit: Wow ok..time to update this post.

(Aug. 27, 2008  11:54 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Aug. 27, 2008  3:52 PM)flashfox Wrote: and being essentially killed for doing them.

I notice you left a negative rep on Boh as well. :\
Yes I did. I told you that I have messed up as well. I did the wrong thing there because I thought he was being rude when he wasn't. I need to update that.

(Aug. 28, 2008  12:17 AM)Artie Wrote: Also, you're afraid to speak what you think? On a message board? Really? Afraid of what? The ever constant 'ban hammer' to those who dissent against the staff?

Please.
Please. Don't act as if that's something that's minor and stupid. You've always acted as if you were unafraid of anything or anyone on these forums, and if I had your reputation, I would the same. But there are plenty of others who feel the same way as Train. I used to feel the same way too, and this again plays into the fear that I was talking about.

James, I will address your post later.
(Aug. 28, 2008  12:17 AM)Artie Wrote:
(Aug. 28, 2008  12:02 AM)Train Wrote: I know I'm carp scared of being banned when I speak up with my opinion. Of course when I did speak up against it. Everyone jumped down my throat about it because they blamed it on the fact I don't have a rep. My opinions are very often quite different from everyone else. Whether it be my views on Alcohol or on this whole rep system.

Don't play the victim card. No one attacked you in that reputation thread; nothing to worth comparing it to a 'mob mentality'.

Also, you're afraid to speak what you think? On a message board? Really? Afraid of what? The ever constant 'ban hammer' to those who dissent against the staff?

Please.

Excuse me?
Everyone and their brother came down on me because I have the opposite view. It wasn't personal, but it was being attacked. Since everyone has the same views and expresses them all at once it is like a mob mentality everyone walking under the same banner so to speak coming at one individual? It's not only overwhelming it's unnecessary in that amount.

And yes the ban hammer I got banned here for a day when I used the F word in random thoughts. So you can imagine how scary it is to express my view if I was banned for one piece of bad language.

Train, nobody agreed with you and they let you know that they did not agree with you. That is not "mob mentality". That is saying something nobody agrees with. What do you expect to happen when you bring something to the table that everyone disagrees with? Nobody was really rude in that topic at all.

If you're scared of being banned, that's your problem. We've never made any moves to ban anyone for speaking up.
(Aug. 28, 2008  12:28 AM)Train Wrote:

Please.

Excuse me?
Everyone and their brother came down on me because I have the opposite view. It wasn't personal, but it was being attacked. Since everyone has the same views and expresses them all at once it is like a mob mentality everyone walking under the same banner so to speak.

And yes the ban hammer I got banned here for a day when I used the F word in random thoughts. So you can imagine how scary it is to express my view if I was banned for one piece of bad language.

If you think having an argument/discussion is 'attacking' ....

And I do not believe for a second you were banned for using the F word in Random thoughts. I say carp all the time:

carp carp carp carp carp carp

So unless you show me the post where you were banned for foul language, I find it hard to believe your point and your assertion that we have a mob mentality here.

Why? I've occasionally "clashed" with the staff as a result of my weird, ambiguous political opinions and strange sense of humor, but I've never feared the banhammer just because I disagreed with someone. If I did, I wouldn't really be posting on these forums, now would I?

What you can expect, though, is correction if you post something that's wrong or just plain stupid. That correction might not always be kind or polite in the way it's delivered, but that's something many people need to work on, not just people on these forums.

As for what I've done for the beyblade community, I'm not ashamed to say that I've done next to nothing. After all, I've only really only become interested in the game rather recently; I don't know enough about the game to write articles or help newbies, so that's out of the question. I suppose I could post more in the Welcome forums, provided I don't scare the new people away Confused. And there's always the Off-Topic forums to hang out in.
(Aug. 28, 2008  12:43 AM)Doompenguin Wrote: Why? I've occasionally "clashed" with the staff as a result of my weird, ambiguous political opinions and strange sense of humor, but I've never feared the banhammer just because I disagreed with someone. If I did, I wouldn't really be posting on these forums, now would I?

What you can expect, though, is correction if you post something that's wrong or just plain stupid. That correction might not always be kind or polite in the way it's delivered, but that's something many people need to work on, not just people on these forums.

As for what I've done for the beyblade community, I'm not ashamed to say that I've done next to nothing. After all, I've only really only become interested in the game rather recently; I don't know enough about the game to write articles or help newbies, so that's out of the question. I suppose I could post more in the Welcome forums, provided I don't scare the new people away Confused. And there's always the Off-Topic forums to hang out in.
You post in Off-Topic. For some, unexplained, strange reason, off topic is very mellow and generally doesn't experience as much tension as beyblade sections do.
Unexplained, strange reason?

If you can't figure out why the off-topic forums are less strict than the Beyblade forums ... I don't really know what to tell you.
It was supposed to be tongue in cheek humor. =/
Ugh, WHy can't we all just get along!!! T_T
(Aug. 28, 2008  12:31 AM)Artie Wrote:

Please.

Excuse me?
Everyone and their brother came down on me because I have the opposite view. It wasn't personal, but it was being attacked. Since everyone has the same views and expresses them all at once it is like a mob mentality everyone walking under the same banner so to speak.

And I do not believe for a second you were banned for using the F word in Random thoughts. I say carp all the time:

So unless you show me the post where you were banned for foul language, I find it hard to believe your point and your assertion that we have a mob mentality here.

http://forums.beywiki.com/thread-974-pos...l#pid28177

^ That's what I was banned for. I have said carp in other places, but this is the first time I was banned for it. I called him a twat too, but I don't think that would be a reason to ban me either.
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:06 AM)James Wrote: Ugh, WHy can't we all just get along!!! T_T

Because nobody's happy until this place is a utopia where nobody ever says anything negative about anything!
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:08 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:06 AM)James Wrote: Ugh, WHy can't we all just get along!!! T_T

Because nobody's happy until this place is a utopia where nobody ever says anything negative about anything!

I guess... <.< From other fourms I just tell people that they are blowing a small thing into a big deal. Though I still don't understand the main purpous of this thread yet... I'll have to look into it =/
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:08 AM)Train Wrote:
(Aug. 28, 2008  12:31 AM)Artie Wrote:

Please.

Excuse me?

^ That's what I was banned for. I have said carp in other places, but this is the first time I was banned for it. I called him a twat too, but I don't think that would be a reason to ban me either.

Ohhh, figures it was something like this.

You weren't banned for swearing...you we're banned for being rude. Whether or not you think that is over the top is your prerogative (I'm sure you will say it was), but your ban wasn't for the inane reason you originally stated.
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:12 AM)James Wrote:

I guess... <.< From other fourms I just tell people that they are blowing a small thing into a big deal. Though I still don't understand the main purpous of this thread yet... I'll have to look into it =/

It started after Roan stepped down and Brad said he's had enough of all of the bitching everyone does when they don't do anything themselves. The thread is to post what you've actually done to help the community, rather than give the admins carp about their imperfectness.

Jeez Train, I wonder why people are scared of people being rude to them here?

You were banned for being a jerk, not for swearing.
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:14 AM)Grey Wrote:
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:12 AM)James Wrote:

It started after Roan stepped down and Brad said he's had enough of all of the bitching everyone does when they don't do anything themselves. The thread is to post what you've actually done to help the community, rather than give the admins carp about their imperfectness.

Ahh thank you grey. Well, I honestly don't know what I did for the Beywiki community except by trying to be as nice as possible and Just hangin' out in all the fourms trying to find a niche. I like it here!! It's a place a blader can go to overall improve their skill and discuss stratagy with other people! (that and also get back into the sport =P )
(Aug. 28, 2008  12:19 AM)flashfox Wrote: Off of the top of my head, you or other members of the forums have been unfairly rude to Evan, Bluezee, Train, Boh, and a few others in the past.

evan doesn't know when to drop it when he's wrong
bluezee's a habitual liar and was going to skip out on paying azuma at MOJ until i called him out on it, and i talked to azuma about the issue with bluezee ... so you don't have much room to speak here
train, i've not been rude to IMO
boh has been BANNED before and i unbanned him because he apologized, however, i do expect people to be able to learn the behaviour of this board

You all need to realize that it is not our job to babysit you or lick your wounds, it was never our goal to turn this place into a place where nobody can say anything negative. Most of you are old enough to take care of yourselves. If the way this board is right now isn't good enough for you, my best advice is to leave because I'm perfectly happy with the direction we're headed and as far as I can tell, mostly everybody is.

The majority of you are not children. You are adults. And yet many of you don't seem to be able to differentiate between an argument, debate, disagreement and someone being mean to you.
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:21 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: http://forums.beywiki.com/thread-974-pos...l#pid28177

He essentially called me a liar (in my mind and even now that's how I read it) "that isn't a chip it's a dent" Yes I overreacted, but I've seen others act worse. I was also never warned about being a jerk. I was just banned for that.
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:30 AM)Train Wrote:
(Aug. 28, 2008  1:21 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: http://forums.beywiki.com/thread-974-pos...l#pid28177

He essentially called me a liar (in my mind and even now that's how I read it) "that isn't a chip it's a dent" Yes I overreacted, but I've seen others act worse.

What's your point? Because others act worse you can act badly?

FYI, we didn't have the warning system then. 1-day bans were our "warnings".
(Aug. 27, 2008  8:25 PM)flashfox Wrote: You aren't one of the problems. You and Grey are probably the biggest success stories we've had ever since we got Alan, Beo, and BT to come over here from beyblade.com forums. I don't know where you came from Synethesia, but wherever you did come from, you were well trained in stricter foruming and forum rules. But I disagree with that statement. Correcting members here is fine. Reprimanding members here is fine. It's that for some reason, people here still tend to fear staff, and the root isn't exactly clear.

The worst part of is that Roan is right. I am in no position or place to change it, but this doesn't mean that I will not try, and I will not point it out.

My point is, that most of the people complaining, are from the older community. I don't see many new members complaining about the staff, and usually the ones that do complain have done something warranting whatever happened to them. Even the members who aren't exactly productive don't really complain from what I've seen.

I think the forum is alot better now than it was when I first joined. The mods are nicer, the forum is far more welcoming, and members are lasting alot longer. I think we are also seeing the fruits of the forum's change. There are more members I see posting now, that I didn't before that are very helpful when they can be.

The forum is growing into a much better community, and I don't see newcomers complaining about it. Everyone here is really friendly. The only ones who receive judgment are those that are obviously wrong, and insist they are right, along with repeat offenders of certain things they were told to not do.

I just really don't understand what you think is wrong. Everyone on staff is doing a great job. Alot of new members are pleasant, and productive.

What else do you want?
(Aug. 28, 2008  2:15 AM)Synesthesia Wrote:
(Aug. 27, 2008  8:25 PM)flashfox Wrote: You aren't one of the problems. You and Grey are probably the biggest success stories we've had ever since we got Alan, Beo, and BT to come over here from beyblade.com forums. I don't know where you came from Synethesia, but wherever you did come from, you were well trained in stricter foruming and forum rules. But I disagree with that statement. Correcting members here is fine. Reprimanding members here is fine. It's that for some reason, people here still tend to fear staff, and the root isn't exactly clear.

The worst part of is that Roan is right. I am in no position or place to change it, but this doesn't mean that I will not try, and I will not point it out.

My point is, that most of the people complaining, are from the older community. I don't see many new members complaining about the staff, and usually the ones that do complain have done something warranting whatever happened to them. Even the members who aren't exactly productive don't really complain from what I've seen.

I think the forum is alot better now than it was when I first joined. The mods are nicer, the forum is far more welcoming, and members are lasting alot longer. I think we are also seeing the fruits of the forum's change. There are more members I see posting now, that I didn't before that are very helpful when they can be.

The forum is growing into a much better community, and I don't see newcomers complaining about it. Everyone here is really friendly. The only ones who receive judgment are those that are obviously wrong, and insist they are right, along with repeat offenders of certain things they were told to not do.

I just really don't understand what you think is wrong. Everyone on staff is doing a great job. Alot of new members are pleasant, and productive.

What else do you want?

Well, I think you have sucsessfully closed this thread XD

(or at least brought it to a conclusion =P )
we opened beyblade.me.uk web site with my friend but we didnt desing because of host wasnt mine
It's obvious at this point that I won't be able to achieve my goals or make you to understand them. People keep on missing the issues. Besides, Brad has been clear that he will not help members with their insecurities and sensitivity issues, which is one of my primary goals here.

With that, I should bring the topic to conclusion, as James so elegantly stated. But before so, I would like to make a few points. (see how this can be an oxymoron?)

James:
James Wrote:Registration Date: 08-26-2008
I'm sorry, but you have been here all of 2 days. How do you have enough information to judge already? Is 2 days now the minimal sample size for people to understand how a forum full works, and enough of it's history in order to post about these issues? In addition, you are asking for us to all get along, when, there are still issues that prevent us from getting along. How is that goal going to be achieved if we don't work to improve the forums.

James Wrote:Even you would be angry. Take this example for instance.

Think of all the members on the fourm as 5 year olds. If thet do somthing wrong they'll get told that it's wrong by the mod's. Now if you don't make the same mistake then they'll be fine. But if you keep doing the same mistake then your not learning from your past mistakes.
Yes. I have faced these situations at other forums. I have had to intervene and explain what was wrong. But according with the policy of that forum, I shouldn't get so angry at them, and try instead kindness and politeness.

(Aug. 28, 2008  2:15 AM)Synesthesia Wrote: My point is, that most of the people complaining, are from the older community. I don't see many new members complaining about the staff, and usually the ones that do complain have done something warranting whatever happened to them. Even the members who aren't exactly productive don't really complain from what I've seen.

What else do you want?
I agree. I agree. I agree.

Look:
(Aug. 27, 2008  3:52 PM)flashfox Wrote: It still creates a hostility in the forum. Yes, things are much better, progress is being made, survival rates are improved. All positives for the signs of this forum. It's easy to understand why staff would be upset when accusations that are baseless are levied, with all that progress that has occurred.

I have never once stated that I was unhappy with the progess I have occured.

This was mainly about highlighting the new issues that we must address to continually help and grow the community. If I wasn't pleased about the initial changes of the forum, why would I even try to add more reforms? I am happy. I am thrilled. New member survival rates are at an all time high. Bannings are pretty rare.

The problem now is that there is still a fear of the staff. I even backed my statements up with the proof that Brad so badly desires, although I think he discards that proof.

This is the next issue that should be addressed. Yes, this is a bit much to ask after so much change, but this would be an improvement. If the staff comes off as more approachable, then wouldn't member rates go up even more?

You and I both know that this isn't what I'm after.

(Aug. 28, 2008  1:26 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: evan doesn't know when to drop it when he's wrong
bluezee's a habitual liar and was going to skip out on paying azuma at MOJ until i called him out on it, and i talked to azuma about the issue with bluezee ... so you don't have much room to speak here
train, i've not been rude to IMO
boh has been BANNED before and i unbanned him because he apologized, however, i do expect people to be able to learn the behaviour of this board

You all need to realize that it is not our job to babysit you or lick your wounds, it was never our goal to turn this place into a place where nobody can say anything negative. Most of you are old enough to take care of yourselves. If the way this board is right now isn't good enough for you, my best advice is to leave because I'm perfectly happy with the direction we're headed and as far as I can tell, mostly everybody is.

The majority of you are not children. You are adults. And yet many of you don't seem to be able to differentiate between an argument, debate, disagreement and someone being mean to you.

Boh is understandable. He's been improving, I'm glad about that. He even mutli-registered under a few names, I think.
Train is understandable. I said that you or other members. I'm not just holding you accountable.
Bluezee is understandable. He told me a different story about how there were things about MOJ he didn't understand and how things are already fixed, but with your close relationship with Azuma, I can understand.
Evan, sure, why not. I'm just curious as to how he will ever learn.

Look, my main point was that Roan said something stupid. We should be careful not to have something that stupid happen again, yeah? Something like that could destroy the progress that the staff has worked so hard to make?

I never personally felt like I was piled onto, nor do I have past prejudices against you Brad. If it seems like that, I'm sorry. I don't know why it seems that way.

It's just that I don't know why, but I seem to sense something wrong here. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. I even agree that negativity is necessary at points, yeah. I just think that there are still things we can work on.

And finally, to be honest, what exactly have I done for the forums?
-Co-Hosted BotB2008, Hosted BotB2009 v2. Working on the videos now. Planning a huge event for BotB2009 with the concept of a Beypicnic.
-Helped research things, including brainstorming sessions with Cye, Kuznetsov, SexyMichael about ways to beat Peagsis105F, and concluded that Leone105F would be the counter to it. Thanks to testing from Kuznetsov (most of the credit should go there), our hypothesis was confirmed.
-Preparing to launch a beyblade podcast for members of the forum to enjoy. Roan was even supposed to be a host. =(
-Helped recruit members to Beywiki, such as Roo and japblader. I've created advertisements on PMOG as well.

Not to much, but that's basically all I've done.