Wavering Light: A Film Photobook

[Image: 5rQVxxM.jpg]
The cover of Wavering Light

I'm not entirely sure how many people here would be interested in this, but for the past eight months or so I've been working on a film photography photobook titled "Wavering Light" with Chicago-based photographer, Phuong Nguyen.

[Image: UkDV3Qq.jpg]
Fist fighti-I mean, calmly deliberating the order of the photos

Wavering Light is a unique synthesis of design, writing, and photography working in tandem to create new, unexpected, profound, and personal meaning to whoever is reading or viewing it. As a result, it is an expression and study of many varied and far reaching ideas, themes, and feelings that are important to both of us: loneliness, alienation, evanescence, connection, disconnection, love, friendship, appreciation, juxtaposition, romanticism, idealism, beauty, the nature of meaning, and much more. It is an amalgamation of our individual life experiences up until this point, and despite–or perhaps as a result of–“the deep personal connection the book has to both of us, we are confident that others will be able to apply their own experiences to each word, each photo, and each spread as well. The book itself is over 100 pages long, contains 65 photographs (most unpublished), and original poetry dispersed throughout.

[Image: ycCMWfp.jpg]
Shooting photos for the book earlier this year

I'm very excited to announce that we just recently received our final test copy and will be ordering the first edition copies soon! We've sold out of our initially announced 20 signed first edition copies and have decided to extend that to 25 or 30 if enough people express interest soon. The book is likely going to be a little bit over $20 plus shipping. In addition to a signed copy of the book, all first editions will come packaged with bonus material that will not be found in the regular edition. After the first run has been shipped out to everyone, the regular edition will be made available via MagCloud. If you're interested, let me know here or via PM!

[Image: cmNDWNG.jpg]
Looking at the first test copy

I'll be sure to post any further updates as they become available! If you have any questions or comments please feel free to post them here as well. :)

Find Phuong On

Find Me On
I myself would actually love something like this, Kei. Despite me being quite young myself, I do have a passion for photography, and got more inspired to take photographs, after seeing all the work you've done with the film camera. I constantly try to add a black and white effect to the majority of my pieces of photography, to make it look like a film camera effect. You've gave me an addiction of adding that effect, lol.

With that being said, I take it you have some of the copies now, no? I'd personally love of these, as I mentioned earlier. I'll message you about buying this book later tonight! Smile
(Jun. 25, 2014  1:37 AM)MidnightGFX Wrote: I myself would actually love something like this, Kei. Despite me being quite young myself, I do have a passion for photography, and got more inspired to take photographs, after seeing all the work you've done with the film camera. I constantly try to add a black and white effect to the majority of my pieces of photography, to make it look like a film camera effect. You've gave me an addiction of adding that effect, lol.

With that being said, I take it you have some of the copies now, no? I'd personally love of these, as I mentioned earlier. I'll message you about buying this book later tonight! Smile

You should try buying a film camera yourself. It's much more time consuming than digital, but the result is definitely worth it. You can try to replicate the feeling of film (which is more about the grain than applying a black and white filter), but nothing beats actually doing it. And if you do, don't worry about making mistakes at first!

Not yet. We're going to be ordering the first edition copies soon. We might be extending the first edition run if we receive a few more requests soon, so I can add you to the list for now if you're interested. Smile As I said in the OP, once we've printed those and shipped them out, the regular edition will become available for purchase from MagCloud.
Hey guys ... I've got an important update for you!

[Image: DCuMRSq.jpg]

[Image: ky7cnSe.jpg]

[Image: jFRSEJ3.jpg]

[Image: YT1O00f.jpg]

Wavering Light by Phuong Nguyen and Scott Williamson
103 pages of 65 photos and original writing
$22.50 + shipping

The 20 signed first editions containing bonus material are sold out. To reserve a regular edition and receive it before it’s for sale on MagCloud, message me by Sunday 6/29/2014, 9PM EST.

To qualify for a chance to win a FREE book, reblog this post on Tumblr by Sunday 7/6/2014, 9PM EST. Winner will be announced soon!

Also, please feel free to let me know what you think of what you've seen so far! Smile
Wow, really nice work Scott! I'll save up my money and I'll hopefully be able to purchase one soon!

Your photography skills are amazing! Congratulations on working so hard for this photobook!
(Jun. 28, 2014  3:57 AM)LMAO Wrote: Wow, really nice work Scott! I'll save up my money and I'll hopefully be able to purchase one soon!

Your photography skills are amazing! Congratulations on working so hard for this photobook!

Thank you so much! Smile

I should clarify that while some of my photography is included in the book (around five or six photographs of the 65, I think?), most of it is Phuong's beautiful work. I was responsible for the design/art direction and most of the writing. Although we did of course both collaborate together on all aspects of the book in different ways for the selection/order of the photos, writing, and design.
Woah Scott gots the skillz that pay the billz!

I Joke I Joke

Nice work Scott I really mean it

Going around doing this is hard enough but putting it together is just amazing!

I am proud to call you my friend

(Can you hook me up with deal? XD)
(Jun. 29, 2014  3:06 AM)FreshClassik Wrote: Woah Scott gots the skillz that pay the billz!

I Joke I Joke

Nice work Scott I really mean it

Going around doing this is hard enough but putting it together is just amazing!

I am proud to call you my friend

(Can you hook me up with deal? XD)

Haha, thank you! It's been a long process, but I've enjoyed it.
Reminder: today is the last day to reblog this post for a chance to win a free photobook (worth $22.50)!

The photobooks have arrived! Those of you who ordered it beforehand will be receiving their copy soon, and for anybody else who is interested now, as I mentioned earlier, it will be available via MagCloud soon.
[Image: VXnQUjR.gif]

Wavering Light
A photobook by Phuong Nguyen and Scott Williamson
103 pages of 65 photos and original writing

Now Available on HP MagCloud!

You can also preview the first few pages via the link above by clicking "Preview" beneath the cover! Please let me know what you think if you decide to order a copy. Smile
Popping in to say that this is really really awesome, Scott! Really like the finish of the cover. You're on to big things. Big things!
I also enjoy photography, but I wouldn't have thought of a multi medium photo book, the very idea sound wonderful. You should be very proud, most people want to do such things but never can.
(Jul. 30, 2014  11:57 PM)bugturtles Wrote: Popping in to say that this is really really awesome, Scott! Really like the finish of the cover. You're on to big things. Big things!

Hey! Long time no talk! Thanks so much for your kind comments, it means a lot. I don't know what "big things" are, but I hope you're right. Smile

(Jul. 31, 2014  12:17 AM)Thumbnail Wrote: I also enjoy photography, but I wouldn't have thought of a multi medium photo book, the very idea sound wonderful. You should be very proud, most people want to do such things but never can.

Thank you! As someone who has such a huge interest in not only photography, but graphic design/typography, and poetry as well, this kind of idea was almost natural to me as Phuong and I began work on the book. It is through the synthesis of different mediums of expression that potential for new meaning can be created. The sum is greater than the parts, in some ways.
So, I finally had time(Just didn't feel like it before, haha)to go to your Tumblr and look at all 65 photos, and I must say, a few just loooked like random pictures, but others were truly amazing pieces of photography. I especially liked 'stupid kite', hah. I'd be very interested to see if you or your partner makes any others books becuase these were truly mind-blowing. Great work to you and your partner. I'm not much into photography myself, but even I can realize how amazing these photographs really are.

This was my attempt to say more than "Wow, cool!", hah.

I shared it on my Facebook page in my signature as well. Smile
(Jul. 31, 2014  5:46 AM)Echizen Wrote: So, I finally had time(Just didn't feel like it before, haha)to go to your Tumblr and look at all 65 photos, and I must say, a few just loooked like random pictures, but others were truly amazing pieces of photography. I especially liked 'stupid kite', hah. I'd be very interested to see if you or your partner makes any others books becuase these were truly mind-blowing. Great work to you and your partner. I'm not much into photography myself, but even I can realize how amazing these photographs really are.

This was my attempt to say more than "Wow, cool!", hah.

I shared it on my Facebook page in my signature as well. Smile

Haha, the photos on my tumblr/Flickr aren't the photos that are in the book! You have to buy it to see them. Smile I just happen to have 60-something photos on my Flickr right now, similar to the amount in the book.

Thank you very much for the kind words and support, though!
Just last Sunday, I received my copy of Wavering Light along with LMAO from our beloved Scott.

That in mind, I thought I'd just say how amazing this photo book is! The photography is outstanding, along with the few pieces of writing! This photo book really showed what one can do with a film camera, as well. Anyhow, I'd like to give both Scott and Phoung the kudos they really deserve! I hope Wavering Light becomes awfully successful guys!

(Sep. 20, 2014  9:15 PM)Midnight` Wrote: Just last Sunday, I received my copy of Wavering Light along with LMAO from our beloved Scott.

That in mind, I thought I'd just say how amazing this photo book is! The photography is outstanding, along with the few pieces of writing! This photo book really showed what one can do with a film camera, as well. Anyhow, I'd like to give both Scott and Phoung the kudos they really deserve! I hope Wavering Light becomes awfully successful guys!

Thanks, Midnight'! Your support means a lot, and we're glad you liked the book. Smile We've submitted it to a few photobook/self-publishing contests recently, so hopefully something will come of that.

If anyone is still curious about the book, here's a few pictures of the book that I posted recently on my personal website and Behance:

Photos from last month at High Park when Midnight/Shido and LMAO received their copies of Wavering Light. Thanks again, guys. Smile

View the project on:
My Personal Website
Behance

Available via:
HP MagCloud
Hey everyone! It's been a little while since I posted anything here, but earlier this year @[The Boss] and @[pyrus10000] both purchased copies of Wavering Light (in The Boss' case, he had bought one of the first edition copies last year but I never had the chance to give it to him until a few months ago) and I thought I'd post them here as a way of saying thanks once again! The book is still available via MagCloud.