Watchmen Thread of Enlightenment

So I've finally seen it and I thought it actually was excellent.

For me though, the first hour or so was slow and I was noticing how the comic book dialogue doesn't necessarily translate to a good script, however I felt like this about the graphic novel too.

When Dr. Manhattan Left earth and the phillip glass music came on, it got me. Its the same place in the graphic novel. I got goosebumps so many times lmao.

Rorschach's voice was better than I imagined, I don't find him overrated

Did anyone feel like Dr. Manhattan's iloss of humanity better portrayed by the movie. I think so.

yo Sam I definately agree about the Comedian, he is a much more compelling character in the movie, he just makes more sense.
and I kind of agree about Ozymandais. IMO I think his build was all wrong, too skinny, thin necked LOL. and yeah he was slightly cheesier where he should have been slick.

The ending though is fine with me, though I would have liked to see the alien-monster pulled off and that ship blow up.

I think the greatest fact is that I saw it with two friends who had no knowledge of the GN, etc. and thought it was excellent. both said they would see it again
(Mar. 14, 2009  8:40 PM)Blue Wrote: Did anyone feel like Dr. Manhattan's iloss of humanity better portrayed by the movie. I think so.

I TOTALLY agree with you here. I've argued until I'm blue in the face about this with a couple of my friends. I really think the ending of the film did more to, ironically, humanize Dr. Manhattan. When I read the GN I really didn't like him as a character, and his sudden change of heart regarding humanity and life towards the end of the GN really didn't sit well with me because his reasoning seemed flaky and his whole shift in attitude seemed forced and fake.

In the movie, however, when Laurie loses it on him and he sees just how much she means to him and decides to return only to find *SPOILER* that he's been framed for the attack himself and now all of humanity that he wanted to save despises him, I thought that was much more compelling and I actually sympathized with him. He was put into a terrible situation and had no choice but to accept it and keep silent about the truth of the matter.
(Mar. 15, 2009  2:34 AM)Roan Wrote: I TOTALLY agree with you here. I've argued until I'm blue in the face about this with a couple of my friends. I really think the ending of the film did more to, ironically, humanize Dr. Manhattan. When I read the GN I really didn't like him as a character, and his sudden change of heart regarding humanity and life towards the end of the GN really didn't sit well with me because his reasoning seemed flaky and his whole shift in attitude seemed forced and fake.

In the movie, however, when Laurie loses it on him and he sees just how much she means to him and decides to return only to find *SPOILER* that he's been framed for the attack himself and now all of humanity that he wanted to save despises him, I thought that was much more compelling and I actually sympathized with him. He was put into a terrible situation and had no choice but to accept it and keep silent about the truth of the matter.

Word. lol that your friends *couldn't see this

I can't wait to pick this up on Blu ray.
Yeah me too, its going to be a real treat to watch in HD.
i don't feel sorry for dr. manhattan after what he did to rorschach
so i saw this and it was pretty good but not nearly the philosophical revelation it had been hyped up to be
(Mar. 18, 2009  7:06 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: so i saw this and it was pretty good but not nearly the philosophical revelation it had been hyped up to be

Honestly I felt the same way when I first read the graphic novel -- it takes a while and repeated viewings to really sink in.
i intentionally avoided reading the novel before seeing this

i'll probably read it now though
Just saw it and it was soooooo good. I was really impressed with the cinematography, especially the Comedian's death and the opening credits.