WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts

Finally processed the tournaments from Anime North: MFB BeyBattle Revolution and Team BeyBattle Revolution! A few things worth noting:

- Thanks to an incredible 19 BeyBattle win-streak in the lead up to and beginning of AN, @[geetster99] soared to a whopping 1,756 BeyPoints, passing myself for the third spot on the rankings and knocking on the door of Blitz's second place spot. He surprisingly went on a losing streak after this however, which brought him back down to earth with 1,693 BP ... but still, seriously impressive! He currently sits at BeyRank #4.

- @[1234beyblade] has cracked the Top 15 with a strong performance at AN! After becoming a regular at Toronto tournaments this year, he has been winning left-and-right, so it's no surprise to see him moving his way up the rankings. He won our last tournament too, so his ascent will continue! He currently sits at BeyRank #12.

- With a second place finish at MFB BeyBattle Revolution, @[LMAO] managed to claw his way back into the Top 15 and is currently sitting with BeyRank #14.

- After his first appearance in Canada at AN, @[Wombat] has moved up into the top 50 and is currently sitting at BeyRank #44!

- @[Leone19] was on an almost unbelievable 35 BeyBattle win-streak prior to AN, but his three consecutive losses at Team BeyBattle Revolution have almost pushed him out of the Top 30. He currently sits at BeyRank #29.

- With a third place finish at MFB BeyBattle Revolution and a Triple Crown as a part of Team DAY BREAKERS at Team BeyBattle Revolution, @[JesseObre] recovered from a slight fall in the rankings and brought himself back in to the Top 10. He is currently BeyRank #8.

- A poor performance at MFB BeyBattle Revolution combined with a virtually flawless performance at Team BeyBattle Revolution means that I left the weekend with ... 1 less BP than what I started with hahaha. I currently sit at 1,706 BP and BeyRank #3.
Congrats to everyone that's moved up, especially 1234beyblade! Like damn, he made over 100 points just by playing in two tournaments! That's crazy!

I surprisingly only moved down two ranks after poor performance at Anime North. I'll be moving up quite a bit, however, after going 9-3 at LMAO's Birthday Beynanza Part 2, beating quite a bit of good players. If Uwik is ranked number 25 with 1,495 points, I'll most likely be making it.
(Jul. 05, 2015  12:55 AM)Mitsu Wrote: Congrats to everyone that's moved up, especially 1234beyblade! Like damn, he made over 100 points just by playing in two tournaments! That's crazy!

Wow, you're right. That's the power of performing well in large tournaments amongst pools of strong Bladers! But it doesn't get any easier from here for 1234beyblade, as I can painfully attest to haha.
Holy carp, congratulations to 1234beyblade! You surpassed me, its time to step my game up!

Too bad I'll be going back to the 2nd page once again Unhappy
@[Kei] @[Wombat] and I were having a discussion about this during before the burst. The size multiplier both increases reward and decreases punishment from both winning and losing battles respectively, no? As in, a player who both wins and loses matches in a larger tournament would both gain more and lose fewer points, no?
Holy wow I didn't expect to be ranked that high. I did pretty well on Friday, but I expected the size multiplier to carp me worse than it did on Saturday. I actually only lost 1 point that day. It also looks like I'm out of that "close zone" around the 70s-120s or so where one point really makes a difference, so that's kind of a relief.

Once Before the Burst gets processed I'll definitely be going up even more since I beat most of Maryland's top Bladers. Maybe I'll even be in the top 30.

(Jul. 05, 2015  1:01 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Jul. 05, 2015  12:55 AM)Mitsu Wrote: Congrats to everyone that's moved up, especially 1234beyblade! Like damn, he made over 100 points just by playing in two tournaments! That's crazy!

Wow, you're right. That's the power of performing well in large tournaments amongst pools of strong Bladers! But it doesn't get any easier from here for 1234beyblade, as I can painfully attest to haha.

I mean look at geetster though. He lost 63 points and only moved down a rank. If that happened to someone in the "close zone" they would have gone down like 30-40 ranks. It might not get easier to gain points and move up at your level, but you've definitely got more breathing room if you get upset.
Thanks guys! Hopefully i can maintain my position haha, it sure was stressful competing at the anime north tournament because there were so many new bladers that i had absolutely no information on, especially in my block, i only knew information about 2 of the 5 bladers, it was all sheer luck really (either than analyzing a little bit of the play style in between matches, there really was no time to analyze which combos the bladers prefer to use). Wombat scared me the most haha, since Kei said that he lost to Burn MF staller with the same combo i used against Wombat, and to add on to that Wombat used Attack against me in team format and it was all or nothing for our team and to my surprise i pulled off an all with Libra TH170D haha, talk about LUCK. I was just as stressed when versing other bladers at the tournament but Wombat just stood out haha. Thanks for the amazing time i had with everyone at AN2015 (My first anime north tournament)!
(Jul. 05, 2015  4:11 AM)Time Wrote: @[Kei] @[Wombat] and I were having a discussion about this during before the burst. The size multiplier both increases reward and decreases punishment from both winning and losing battles respectively, no? As in, a player who both wins and loses matches in a larger tournament would both gain more and lose fewer points, no?

The only thing the multiplier affects is the amount of points won, if I remember correctly. Right, @[Arupaeo] and @[Uwik]?

(Jul. 05, 2015  4:22 AM)Wombat Wrote: I mean look at geetster though. He lost 63 points and only moved down a rank. If that happened to someone in the "close zone" they would have gone down like 30-40 ranks. It might not get easier to gain points and move up at your level, but you've definitely got more breathing room if you get upset.

There's only one place in the entire rankings that something like that could happen, and it's right at the top where geetster99 is. The rankings are closer the lower you go because there's way less people who make it to the top of the rankings than there is who make it to a level lower than that (obviously). There's a reason why so few players have reached and maintained 1,600+ BeyPoints ... it's attainable, but hard to maintain! Reaching that plateau proves that you are one of the top Bladers in the world; you can only get there through repeated success. And it is only through repeated failure that you would fall significantly; performing poorly at one or two tournaments won't do it. For every poor tournament that a highly ranked player has, they have several strong performances at other tournaments.

The system works itself out in my opinion; it's easier to gain BeyPoints when you're lowly ranked, and harder to gain them when you're highly ranked. Repeated success is required to ascend the rankings from the bottom, and repeated failure is required to descend them from the top.
Speaking of rankings, finally I participate in a ranked tournament ... and this is the result. T_T
(Jul. 15, 2015  3:48 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Speaking of rankings, finally I participate in a ranked tournament ... and this is the result. T_T

You're #1 to us, thats all that matters

Soooo my rank, going to go down by 10 spots or so, god help me.
(Jul. 15, 2015  3:48 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Speaking of rankings, finally I participate in a ranked tournament ... and this is the result. T_T

Please tell me someone recorded Bey Brad vs. Kai-V. I probably speak for the majority of the WBO when I say I'd want to see that matchup.

It's not that bad sincerely. Venomous_Cobraa won only one match in that tournament, haha.
don' worry Bey Brad its your first come back and in a format you never played before. I think you have learn a lot during this tournament! next time you will be better!
Hopefully I can at least break 1,000 again whenever we do a Burst tournament!
nothing impossible Wink

probably the 25th july we will try this new series at the tournament. Hope you will be there!
I was just wondering if this beyblade is legal for tournament use

(Jul. 18, 2015  4:39 AM)1234beyblade Wrote: I was just wondering if this beyblade is legal for tournament use

Of course it is. This one is too. In super ultra mega modified standard format

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPGpamaNw4

The kid in the video thinking he is gonna beat it with a normal bey is priceless. Lmao
(Jul. 18, 2015  4:48 AM)Zoroaste Wrote:
(Jul. 18, 2015  4:39 AM)1234beyblade Wrote: I was just wondering if this beyblade is legal for tournament use

Of course it is. This one is too. In super ultra mega modified standard format

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPGpamaNw4

The kid in the video thinking he is gonna beat it with a normal bey is priceless. Lmao
LOL i saw that it was soo funny XD
Congrats to 1234beyblade for breaking the top 3 and Mitsu for getting onto the first page!
Lol, UltimateOrion did you just happen to check the rankings? I literally updated them just a couple minutes ago. But yes!! I just made a post on our Facebook about @[1234beyblade]: https://www.facebook.com/WorldBeybladeOr...85/?type=1

And Toronto is starting to take over the first page. Awesome. I underestimated the power of how many BeyPoints we all collectively had when considering what it would take for 1234beyblade to reach the Top 5.

But as an aside ... seeing that the final battle between 1234beyblade and I at HIGH PARK THROWDOWN 7 is what put him past me makes me even more frustrated with the call that was made by the judge in our final. Unhappy That's how it goes sometimes, though. In any case, 1234beyblade's 11-1 record at that event and numerous other strong performances lately definitely earned him the spot!
Mitsu passed me today (By 3 points!!), congratulations to him, but just know I'll be super try hard at tournaments now Wink

I'm still rank #14 which is surprisingly good, I thought I was going down to the bottom of the 2nd page. Also, congratulations to Hubert for being the new #3 and Kei for maintaining a steady position at #4! Finally, congrats to my brother on being rank #32, as well as Jesse for not going down very much and still keeping an amazing position.

#TORONTOTAKESOVER1STPAGE
Does anyone else get the feeling that we're at the point where we may as well switch to blind selection for all matches? The fact of the matter is that the only players who don't initiate stalling clause are basically newbies, so we have a rule that exists solely to let more knowledgeable players prey on beginners in a realm completely outside of customization or shooting skill.
(Aug. 05, 2015  6:35 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Does anyone else get the feeling that we're at the point where we may as well switch to blind selection for all matches? The fact of the matter is that the only players who don't initiate stalling clause are basically newbies, so we have a rule that exists solely to let more knowledgeable players prey on beginners in a realm completely outside of customization or shooting skill.

Out of curiosity, did you notice this becoming a problem recently?

Personally I've always preferred blind selection. Eliminates the option for stalling completely.
At the Toronto event, I noticed that the only people who didn't use stalling clause were people who didn't know what it was.
(Aug. 05, 2015  6:35 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Does anyone else get the feeling that we're at the point where we may as well switch to blind selection for all matches? The fact of the matter is that the only players who don't initiate stalling clause are basically newbies, so we have a rule that exists solely to let more knowledgeable players prey on beginners in a realm completely outside of customization or shooting skill.

I don't know if you've seen this thread yet, but it basically addresses the whole deception/double blind etc. issue.

In North Carolina, I know they do double blind picks, with the two opponents either making their selections with their backs to each other or in different parts of the room. Other players might advise him but as far as I know no one goes and tells the other person what their opponent is currently using (You will hear "He's been going Attack a lot today, you might want to use Libra" as opposed to "I just saw him attach Omega, use Libra"). The judge will also ask both people if they are attached before they reveal their selections and they will tell the other person if their opponent attaches before them, but most players (with the exception of newbies) will keep their selection hidden even after attaching it. So although there wasn't technically a "stalling clause" called every match since you only get two per tournament, Beyblade selections played out in basically the same way.

The situation was similar in Toronto but I don't know if it's like that normally or if it just was to make a more even playing field for all the different regions. For what it's worth I only had two opponents in Toronto that I was 100% certain of what they would use (since they only had 1 Beyblade) and that would have not have changed if there was a stalling clause or not.