WBO Bugs

Still, I don't really remember mods flat-out erasing stuff like that...

I talked to Kai-V about the post in the their list discussion, and she said it was never deleted. It literally vanished without a trace.

Well, maybe I'm just thinking crazy LOL. XD
The recent two are not mysteries at all : they were indeed erased, which means that they were archived, because of SPAM and the other posts were related to the SPAM message so it made no sense to leave them on their own out of context.

The first one, which happened to theblackdragon, is definitely still really weird, because nowhere did it show in the list of recent moderator or administrator activites that such a post was erased or deleted, yet it would definitely show up on that list.
http://worldbeyblade.org/myawards.php?uid=1562 look, His/hers latest issued doesn't say "Obtained from FaceBooster"
(Feb. 16, 2014  5:40 AM)DRAGON KING Wrote: http://worldbeyblade.org/myawards.php?uid=1562 look, His/hers latest issued doesn't say "Obtained from FaceBooster"
It is not a bug, simply when the face was assigned who gave him the face has forgot to add a comment in the right form of the awards plugin, it can happens.
Yo, don't know if you guys noticed yet but uh, we're kinda having a massive SPAM bot invasion right now. I've reported like a dozen posts in the last 5 minutes.
(Mar. 01, 2014  3:35 AM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: Yo, don't know if you guys noticed yet but uh, we're kinda having a massive SPAM bot invasion right now. I've reported like a dozen posts in the last 5 minutes.

They're has been a huge influx, usually we get quite alot at night. That probably goes in the Spam bot thread since its not really a malfuction on the WBO or anything btw.
(Mar. 01, 2014  3:35 AM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: Yo, don't know if you guys noticed yet but uh, we're kinda having a massive SPAM bot invasion right now. I've reported like a dozen posts in the last 5 minutes.

Being the one to get rid of them is extremely irritating Tired.

I've noticed a lot more recently, I got rid of quite a few yesterday.
I would say it is a bug, because I switched registrations recently to make it mandatory to go in your email inbox and manually confirm your signup through it, which bots normally cannot do at all. They all have very weird GMail addresses, yet somehow they all succeed in accessing them and clicking on the activation link in the registration email ...

They also cannot have such dynamic IP addresses that we do not hit a few of them at a time when we ban everything about one of those new SPAM accounts.
Sorting the memberlist by registration date shows it seems to be effective in some cases, but not in others. It also shows an alarming number of registered bot accounts that aren't banned which are probably worth going over and banning pre-emptively. Perhaps patrolling the memberlist like that would be a good idea if staff have the time - I've posted or sent a link to some of you at least before that gets you there automatically without having to manually sort etc, can dig that up if that would help?

Do we have any kind of Captcha in the signup process? I know bots can break at least some of them, but if we do not have one it would be a good idea to set one up, if possible.
For some reason, our CAPTCHA feature was turned off, but I activated it last night, as well as some other small measures. Hopefully it makes some difference.
Well, we'll know in a few days time - the bot I just reported signed up a few days ago now, as I figured the setup might be, so we still have a lot of them registered and waiting.
I've just reported 8 new spam bot threads, so I'm afraid it doesn't make any difference :\
Yeah numbers don't seem to have dropped much looking at the memberlist - about 50% not activated as it has been a while now, and pages of blatant bot accounts. A lot of the time it seems like there's a decent time gap between when they sign up and when they actually spam so it might be possible to reduce it a bit by patrolling the memberlist sorted by most recent signup for obvious bot accounts and banning them pre-emptively, but that takes a fair bit of time and effort.

Thing is for you and I (well, I'm *pretty* sure you're one of the other few people consistently on at this time of day), we see them a lot more than others because around this time there's a window where we usually don't have anyone online that can actually do something about them. It's not so bad, because usually a mod comes on near the time more people come online and as this is like the least active time period, only a few of us really notice it from what I can tell, but yeah, still annoying haha.
Yes, very annoying...I´ve just reported my 19th spam bot post for today. -.-
If this is a bug, is there any way to fix it, so that the spam bots can´t sign up and post spam stuff so easily?
Edit: Btw yeah, I´m almost 24/7 online, to be honest XD
Just a note but you don't need to waste your effort reporting every single thread a bot makes since the tool we use to get rid of bots deletes all their threads automatically.
Oh...ok, thanks. Grin
Um, I really hate to bother any of the administrators, but it would appear that my matches in the Beypoints system are still under the name "BeybladeFreak©."

It's not particularly bothersome to me or anything, but I figured I should probably just report it anyway, seeing as it clearly shouldn't be there whether it makes a big difference or not, haha. XD
It happened when you had "BeybladeFreak©." as your username. And I'm pretty sure that you asked a moderator or a cm to help change your username back before the 1 month period expires.

The solution could be:

1. Your BP match username will automatically change back to your current one after the 1 month period ends, or...

2. It will never revert to your current one, unless you personally change your username again yourself from your own account.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think No. 2 is your best bet.
Awesome! I'll try it as soon as I can. Smile

Hey guys, 77 SPAM bot sign-ups today. Any idea where they're coming from?
(Mar. 18, 2014  9:10 PM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: Awesome! I'll try it as soon as I can. Smile

Hey guys, 77 SPAM bot sign-ups today. Any idea where they're coming from?

77 ?????? Chocked_2 You beat my record of 24 on one day! XD

But yeah, it looks like the number is still increasing :\
There's not much more we can do about the signups without potentially turning away legitimate users - perhaps a beyblade related question, but even then, those need to be changed regularly so the answer doesn't get added to the bot's code. There are addons that can prevent spam posts to a degree, which could be looked into, but in the end I think it's just going to be dedicated patrolling of the new members page or the like, especially as whoever is spamming us is already getting past Captcha, which means it's possible they're humans. Spammers are a reality of forums these days, sadly.
Admittedly, we are a few versions late in our upgrades, so there might be some vulnerability that was fixed later on. I have contacted our programer to schedule an upgrade from him though, since I always mess up something and I clearly have no time at all : I was planning on doing it during my week between two contracts in mid-February, but that went nowhere in the end.
Look at my last post on this thread.

The post I've quoted says it was posted in 1970. :\
(Jun. 06, 2004  12:23 AM)|Midnight| Wrote: Look at my last post on this thread.

The post I've quoted says it was posted in 1970. :\

You can edit that dateline to make it say date you want...