Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK)

Poll: Did you check out the VMKRevisited Site?

Yea!
75.00%
No...
25.00%
Total: 100% 4 vote(s)
Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) was a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) made by Disney in 2005.It was a game made to make you feel like you were at Disney World, Disneyland, Disneyland Tokyo, etc.
1.5 million players (1 of them being me!) were already registered by the middle of 2006 and playing in the Virtual Kingdom. By 2008,Disney announced that they would close the gates to the kingdom forever. That made over 1 million people furious and they were doing anything they could to save the game. Sadly,Disney ignored all of the petitions, letters, and protesting and shut down the game at 10PM on Wednesday, May 21st, 2008. I remember that day when everyone said their last goodbyes and danced one last time at the Cinderella Castle Gates. People have been trying to copy VMK and make a new game, but have been failing. I am telling you guys about this because I want to see if any of you guys have played the game (and since there wasn't any thread on VMK). If any of you guys have played the game, post any of your thoughts on the closure and Disney's choice on closing it. If you haven't played the game, go to this this and click on "Enter VMKRevisited". VMKRevisited isn't a game,but a map of VMK with all of the features.
Remember I don't work for anything since I'm only in middle school. If this thread shouldn't be open, you can close it moderators.
EDIT: If you played,post your username on VMK!
well, i didn't play it and personally i think disney sucks but when a massive MMO just closes it ticks me off... i'll help.
(Jul. 13, 2011  6:31 AM)Bunnii2165 Wrote: well, i didn't play it and personally i think disney sucks but when a massive MMO just closes it ticks me off... i'll help.

Well Disney does sorta suck, (Mostly for the closure) but I'm glad you're gonna help.
I played this game about 5 times in total during 2006-07 and even went to a place where they had a bunch of computers in Disney World and it was dedicated to this game. I liked it for about the first 3 times, but there wasn't really that much to do and I got bored of it really quickly. I don't really like it when things are discontinued, but in this case, I actually am fine with it. Disney is a huge company, and they could be using the money that they have for something better than this game. Remember, Disney is a company, and companies want to make money. If this idea wasn't making them the money that they wanted or expected, they would move onto something else. This seems to be what happened here.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." (Dr. Seuss) If this game was closed, Disney probably had a good reason for it. Don't be sad that it is over, just be happy that you were there and able to experience it. Smile
(Jul. 13, 2011  6:39 AM)SwiftShadow Wrote: I played this game about 5 times in total during 2006-07 and even went to a place where they had a bunch of computers in Disney World and it was dedicated to this game. I liked it for about the first 3 times, but there wasn't really that much to do and I got bored of it really quickly. I don't really like it when things are discontinued, but in this case, I actually am fine with it. Disney is a huge company, and they could be using the money that they have for something better than this game. Remember, Disney is a company, and companies want to make money. If this idea wasn't making them the money that they wanted or expected, they would move onto something else. This seems to be what happened here.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." (Dr. Seuss) If this game was closed, Disney probably had a good reason for it. Don't be sad that it is over, just be happy that you were there and able to experience it. Smile

Well thanks for the Dr. Seuss quote. Disney was sorta making money with VMK because you could print something called a quest, take the paper to Disneyland or Disney World, do the quest and get cards with codes on them, enter the codes online, and get items online. I did a quest when I went to Disneyland, and I got a card that gave me a lot of stuff.
(Jul. 13, 2011  6:48 AM)HexagonD Wrote: Disney was sorta making money with VMK because you could print something called a quest,take the paper to Disneyland or Disney World,do the quest and get cards with codes on them,enter the codes online,and get items online.I did a quest when I went to Disneyland,and I got a card that gave me a lot of stuff.

ya know what that sounds like?

It sounds like i have to PAY for printed paper.... not cool.
(Jul. 13, 2011  7:16 AM)Bunnii2165 Wrote:
(Jul. 13, 2011  6:48 AM)HexagonD Wrote: Disney was sorta making money with VMK because you could print something called a quest,take the paper to Disneyland or Disney World,do the quest and get cards with codes on them,enter the codes online,and get items online.I did a quest when I went to Disneyland,and I got a card that gave me a lot of stuff.

ya know what that sounds like?

It sounds like i have to PAY for printed paper.... not cool.

You don't have to pay for the paper, you pay for the cards, but you don't have to buy them. You can just let people know that you did the quest online, but a lot of people liked the items.
ahh makes sense...
(Jul. 13, 2011  7:26 AM)HexagonD Wrote: You don't have to pay for the paper,you pay for the cards,but you don't have to buy them.You can just let people know that you did the quest online,but a lot of people liked the items.

ohhhh....

Still, you can't blame me! Disney is a big Company and all big companies are EVIL! Like Hasbro!
True, but you don't have to do the quest and just pretend you're at Disneyland, for free!
(Jul. 13, 2011  7:47 AM)Bunnii2165 Wrote: Still, you can't blame me! Disney is a big Company and all big companies are EVIL! Like Hasbro!

TT says hi.

I personally think it was an okay game, but it gets old pretty fast.
Yea, it sort of got old, but I had a lot of friends on there and I would build and test obstacle courses with one of my friends for hours.