[Unanswered]  [Plastics] Left-Spin or Right Spin Attackers?

Okay, I know this may be a bit of a loaded topic, but I just wanted to ask because I'm not sure how the metagame looks at all. Here's my current read:

> Attackers want to be in Same-Spin to increase Smash-Attack Potential.
> Defense is split up into two categories:
  • Circle Survive Defenders, which are locked to right spin.
  • Defensive Zombies, which want to be in opposite-spin.
> Stamina/Endurance types are mainly limited to Zombies, which want to be in Opposite Spin.

With these ideas in mind, I want to ask: Which spin direction is preferred, Left-Spin or Right-Spin? I ask it in this specific way, because the only single-spin type up there is Circle Survive Defense-Types, which are locked exclusively to Right-Spin; which means that to KO them you need a high-reaching right-spin attack type (Like Great Dragon {War Lion SAR} / Wide Defense / Neo Right SG {HMC} / Defense Grip Base [Attack Mode]). Other than that, it seems the only factor is what spin direction your opponent is using (something that you'd only know right before the beys are launched). Is there a way to read the meta to see which direction your bey should be before the round starts?

Note: The title asks for Attackers, but this question can be extended to other types as well (Though I assume they want to be in Left-Spin because that gives them an advantage against most right-spin combinations).
You might as well ask this in the plastics random thoughts thread, I don't think many of us venture here. The subforum needs every bit of activity it can get too - frankly if you made a thread for it there I think we'd be happier more than anything.

The short answer is that there is no best direction, it depends entirely on the metagame you're playing in. Maybe right spin for tall attackers, left spin for short if storm grip tip flip is legalised, but Plastics isn't that simple.

The long answer is a lot of rambling, because it made me think a lot:-

Spin direction for attack is actually defined moreso by two particular popular combination types which are both right spin but have very imposing defenses against different directions -

Driger V2, which uppers taller left attackers straight up its ramps and out the stadium, and Circle Survivor, which ignores short and most right spin attackers (you have to sorta push it out of the ring with its own momentum most of the time, and solid hits are pretty much exclusive to its top). Driger V2 is basically the spanner in the works that stops left attack being best because of circle survivor, and vice versa.

There is also the fact that Dzombies, Grip Defense, and Weight Based Defense can be in either spin direction. dZombies and Weight are usually left and right respectively, but Grip Defense is going to be aiming to be same spin as you a best against it - you want to be in opposite spin. Regular zombies are easier in same spin but aren't really relevant as if you can't ko them in opposite with a half decent attack type, you need to practice your launch more than you need to change spin direction.

Defensively speaking, defensive zombies don't care too much about spin direction vs attack and the big attack ARs don't really care too much about direction vs dzombies. Dzombies are slightly easier to KO in opposite IMO, but they can use some weak launching here for a slight buff (not as much of a buff as other gens). Honestly, trying to beat these with attack is a tough spot to be in, but if so, spin direction isn't critical IMO - a good launch is gonna matter so much more.

In the end, you pick your poison... And in picking lies the key.
Part access in plastics is a big issue. Really, left spin is more accessible for the big power attackers thanks to Hayate AR (currently not legal but it will happen), but tall is also easier to get, meaning driger V2 becomes a bit annoying as you then play into its hands (well, slopes). Tough.

On the other hand, and adding more depth to the equation, Square Edge can belt things out of the ring regardless of spin direction. Most importantly, it can pelt Circle Survivor Defense out of the exits even in right spin. This makes right spin better, because you now don't need left for that matchup so you can go right spin and not get hammered by Driger V2.
So, if you have enough power, right spin is better, sure. As long as you aren't playing a right spin grip Defense combo... Square edge isn't very easy to get though.

There's another factor too. Remember I said Driger V2 is good vs tall left stuff? Tall is specified for a reason - it's not as reliable against super low left. Circle Survivor is pretty tough for low stuff and basically cannot be beaten by low right spin attack (even square edge has a tough time) but big hits from low left spin attackers can really send it reeling. In this case, left spin now becomes arguably better at this height. This height is important as it helps vs defensive zombies, weight Defense, and also general stuff like compacts.
Problem tho - we don't have a good low height attack base that can handle the likes of Hayate AR or Square Edge. This is where Storm Grip Tip Flip comes in - by inverting the tip of a suitably tight Storm Grip Base we get a super low Attack Base that is ridiculously fast, so fast that it can both revive Upper Attack, and deal damage to Circle Survivor. It even makes Defense Zombies an easier target! Great for the format, and I am really hoping it will be legalised.

Oh, and for upper attack, while everyone always said same spin was better, IMO opposite is better because of the destabilisation and ramping things up slopes head-on.

There's no clear answer. Plastics usually doesn't have clear answers for what is best, even our smash attack is split between more modern monsters and the lower recoil options of old... There is a reason our CC list is as it is. That questions like this cannot be answered but can still be extensively written about is one of my favourite things about the format.

As for other spin directions, we have always used right as default and based best on that, and you would usually take "opposite spin" to mean left spin... But you will note the CC list contains left spin weight Defense, right spin zombies etc. The thing is, Plastics is not as right-spin default as everyone thinks - I feel that is a lingering effect of the lower availability of left spin gears at the time of release, rather than having any basis in performance - especially now that reverse wolf (Hasbro) provides a very competent left spin compact AR. There is a lot still to learn about the implications of that fact and how that reflects on the metagame. Wombat recently pointed out to me that people approach BSL with a "right spin default" mindset rather than treating it as the spin-agnostic format it is, and that has made me think about that mindset more and more in the realm of plastics.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope there is value in it for someone.
Use Samurai Upper

And ultimate grip flat core

If you have them of course
(Jan. 08, 2022  5:31 PM)PikaBeyblade Wrote: Use Samurai Upper

And ultimate grip flat core

If you have them of course

Those are HMS parts, not Plastics.