Tournament Report: Zektor's Oregon Open 12-18-21

This is my first tournament report. It is for Zektor's Oregon Open 12-18-21. Beaverton, Oregon. Burst standard

Toastdkiwi and I started planning this tournament about a month ago. We messaged on discord a few times trying to iron out a location and date. Eventually we decided to pulled the trigger for A.M Kennedy park on December 18th. The park was new and clean but the wind was cold and consistent. The sky was gray all day. A few leaves tried to join in on our battles and two stadiums decided to take a flight in between rounds. Besides the bone-chilling wind, this was a nice tournament location.

Ebeanzy2 and I drove down from Seattle for this event. Seven other Oregon bladders joined us making nine participants for the round robin tournament. We waited but unfortunately no tenth player showed up and we had to start with 9. Each player had one bye and we ended up playing 9 rounds. The tournament ended faster than we thought. We started at 11am and finished around 2pm. A big shout out to Oblivion Crysis for judging and helping things go quicker.

For my first round I had a bye :( For my second round I decided to start off with my trusty Devil Valkyrie on Zn+Z. I was up against Ebeanzy2 using his classic attack combos (he is well known in Seattle for only using attack types) The game was close and I barely survived with a final score of 3-2. In round three I played Toastdkiwi and his juggernaut of a bey. He had L gear Wheel and Yard Metal on dynamite. It hit hard. Once again I barely won by the skin of my teeth with a 3-2. Jake Jones was my next match up and he did well but I decided to switch to my Astral Longinus Zn+Z and spin direction was in my favor luckily. The next few rounds went the same.

In the eighth round however something happened that I did not expect. mang0 had a killer prominence combo using over and drift. Spin direction was in my favor but not even spin steal can beat the mighty drift. mang0 won with 3-0 easily.  Finally I decided to switch back to Devil Valkyrie. After winning my last preliminary round, I finished with a record of 7-1-1.

The preliminaries were over and it was time to announce the top 4. mang0 made fourth with no problem. Jake Jones took the third spot surprising no one. toastdkiwi earned the 2nd spot. I was 1st for the preliminary rounds. We had a lot of talented bladers coupled with unorthodox combos. This made for an interesting finals. Toastdkiwi and Jake Jones played in a very close match but Jake managed to secure his spot in the finals. Next I had my chance for a rematch with mang0. We had a good game and a lot of ties using most of our combos a few times. Eventually I won the semi final match against mang0 and it was on to the finals.

Jake Jones is a very talented blader. He has great control of his beys/combos and uses them well. In the end I got the first place spot. Our finals match was close I think the final score was 5-3.

What can I say about the Oregon blading scene/community? Its great! Everyone is super nice and has very interesting opinions about the anime, game, and techniques/combos. I saw so much creativity at this event.The combos were innovative and surprisingly tough to play against. ItzMJ and Jake Jones made a HUGE custom bey stadium. After the event most players stayed to do a battle royal exhibition. That was very cool!

I will definitely be coming back in the summer to host another event here. The food is awesome and its not that far a drive for me. Overall I think it was a great event/weekend in Oregon.

[Image: IfPlxZ5.jpg]
Wait, mango?? The pro Melee player????? (Ofc not, this was just a joke)
wait is that me in the picture?????
mang0 your tag named after the fruit or the Melee player?
maaan what fun time that was cant wait for the next!
Super fun glad I got to play in it
(Dec. 20, 2021  8:14 AM)p0l1w4g06 Wrote: mang0 your tag named after the fruit or the Melee player?

fruit
(Dec. 20, 2021  5:34 AM)Zektor Wrote:
This is my first tournament report. It is for Zektor's Oregon Open 12-18-21. Beaverton, Oregon. Burst standard

Toastdkiwi and I started planning this tournament about two months ago. We messaged on discord a few times trying to iron out a location and date. Eventually we decided to pulled the trigger for A.M Kennedy park on December 18th. The park was new and clean but the wind was cold and consistent. The sky was gray all day. A few leaves tried to join in on our battles and two stadiums decided to take a flight in between rounds. Besides the bone-chilling wind, this was a nice tournament location.

Ebeanzy2 and I drove down from Seattle for this event. Seven other Oregon bladders joined us making nine participants for the round robin tournament. We waited but unfortunately no tenth player showed up and we had to start with 9. Each player had one bye and we ended up playing 9 rounds. The tournament ended faster than we thought. We started at 11am and finished around 2pm. A big shout out to Oblivion Crysis for judging and helping things go quicker.

For my first round I had a bye Unhappy For my second round I decided to start off with my trusty Devil Valkyrie on Zn+Z. I was up against Ebeanzy2 using his classic attack combos (he is well known in Seattle for only using attack types) The game was close and I barely survived with a final score of 3-2. In round three I played Toastdkiwi and his juggernaut of a bey. He had L gear Wheel and Yard Metal on dynamite. It hit hard. Once again I barely won by the skin of my teeth with a 3-2. Jake Jones was my next match up and he did well but I decided to switch to my Astral Longinus Zn+Z and spin direction was in my favor luckily. The next few rounds went the same.

In the eighth round however something happened that I did not expect. mang0 had a killer prominence combo using over and drift. Spin direction was in my favor but not even spin steal can beat the mighty drift. mang0 won with 3-0 easily.  Finally I decided to switch back to Devil Valkyrie. After winning my last preliminary round, I finished with a record of 7-1-0.

The preliminaries were over and it was time to announce the top 4. mang0 made fourth with no problem. Jake Jones took the third spot surprising no one. toastdkiwi earned the 2nd spot. I was 1st for the preliminary rounds. We had a lot of talented bladers coupled with unorthodox combos. This made for an interesting finals. Toastdkiwi and Jake Jones played in a very close match but Jake ended up securing his spot in the finals. Next I had my chance for a rematch with mang0. We had a good game and actually ended up with a lot of ties using most of our combos a few times. Eventually I won the semi final match against mang0 and it was on to the finals.

Jake Jones is a very talented blader. He has great control of his beys/combos and uses them well. In the end I got the first place spot. Our finals match was close I think the final score was 5-3.

What can I say about the Oregon blading scene/community? Its great! Everyone is super nice and has very interesting opinions about the anime, game, and techniques/combos. I saw so much creativity at this event.The combos were innovative and surprisingly tough to play against. ItzMJ and Jake Jones made a HUGE custom bey stadium. After the event most players stayed to do a battle royal exhibition. That was very cool!

I will definitely be coming back in the summer to host another event here. The food is awesome and its not that far a drive for me. Overall I think it was a great event/weekend in Oregon.

[Image: IfPlxZ5.jpg]

it would be cool if there was like a team tournament between Oregon and Washington!