[Toronto, Ontario, 5/22/15] MFB BeyBattle Revolution + Side Events @ Anime North 2015

on
Hosted by
  Kei
Contact Host
Format

Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
cash  

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

[Image: d4HHdBq.png]

FRIDAY, MAY 22, 2015
Anime North 2015 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Haliburton Room - Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel
LIMITED FORMAT
Limited Format Primer

5PM: Beyblade Tournament - Registration for MFB BeyBattle Revolution
5:30PM: Beyblade Tournament - MFB BeyBattle Revolution Start
8:30PM: Beyblade Side Events - BeyStadium Tower, Beyblade Race & Top Plate

REGISTER NOW

Bladers! This is your opportunity to get your first look at the competition for the main event on Saturday, Team BeyBattle Revolution, to find some last minute team members, and an exciting way to kick off what is sure to be a memorable weekend! If you plan on attending Anime North on Friday, you won't want to miss this. Everyone will have the opportunity to win cool prizes with our side events as well, so please stop by if you can!

[Image: TthRPxr.png]

In addition to MFB BeyBattle Revolution we will also be hosting several more light-hearted–but still competitive!–side events! Here’s a list of everything we have planned currently:

Side Events
BeyStadium Tower
Beyblade Race
Top Plate

Stay tuned for more details on how these will work!

”Why should I participate in all of these events?!”
Participating in the tournaments will of course enable you to win fabulous prizes, but the Side Events will also offer the opportunity for you to not only earn Credits to redeem for prizes from the Blader Rewards, but Face Boosters of all kinds too!

And as an added incentive to encourage everyone to participate in as many of these tournaments as possible, there will be added benefits to participating in any (or all!) of the tournaments at AN!:

Not sure if you should attend?
Take a look at some video from Friday nights at Anime North on previous years and see what you'd be missing. Wink

View More Video (Click to View)

Entry: You need an AN Pass!
A Blader Passport is not required for this tournament, as AN does not allow event organizers to charge entry fees for events within the convention. However, if you want to support the WBO so we can host even better tournaments with even better prizes in the future, and participate in the BeyPoints ranking System in future tournaments, then you will need one! So, if you wish to purchase one at the tournament, that is still possible.

To participate in the tournament, you currently have a few options to gain entrance: a) a weekend pass or b) a day pass for Friday at AN (and Saturday/Sunday Passes if you plan attend the other events on those days). Weekend Passes are currently sold out, but you can still purchase Single Day Tickets. We highly recommend that you purchase a ticket ASAP! There is no guarantee that they will be available at the convention itself.

Spread the Word!
Are you as excited about the festivities as we are?! If so, be sure to tell your friends about it! And if you haven't already, follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

[Image: twitteric.png] @worldbeyblade [Image: facebookic.png] WorldBeybladeOrganization

Spread the word!
#BEYBLADE #TEAMBEYBATTLEREV #WBO

Think you can make it? Post here!
If you think you'll be able to make it out to MFB BeyBattle Revolution, please post here and I will start building an attendance list!

Attendees:
Kei
Honey
Dark_Mousy
UltimateOrion
LMAO
Leone7
The Sponge
Kai-V
Master Rugi
~Thunder~
JesseObre

Possible Attendees:
1234beyblade
op blader
KayetsuDX

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

(May. 13, 2015  2:12 AM)UltimateOrion Wrote: I will bring a BB10 to the tournament.

Thanks! The more stadiums the better.
I will also bring one
Thanks Leone7!

Just realized the OP of this thread still said that the event was at the International Plaza. That is incorrect: like Team BeyBattle Revolution, we are playing at the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel, most likely in the same room. Still waiting for the schedule to come out before we know exactly which room we will be in, however.
I am going to be like 30 minutes late for Registration, I'll be there at like 5:30, if that's ok.

I have to take the transit from school all the way to the other end of Toronto, so it'll take a bit.
(May. 18, 2015  7:14 PM)Ayy lmao Wrote: I am going to be like 30 minutes late for Registration, I'll be there at like 5:30, if that's ok.

I have to take the transit from school all the way to the other end of Toronto, so it'll take a bit.

Ah, guess that means you won't be able to help out with the battle stations, then. But that's fine.
(May. 18, 2015  7:27 PM)Kei Wrote:
(May. 18, 2015  7:14 PM)Ayy lmao Wrote: I am going to be like 30 minutes late for Registration, I'll be there at like 5:30, if that's ok.

Ah, guess that means you won't be able to help out with the battle stations, then. But that's fine.

Yeah, sorry Unhappy

I get out of school at 4, then I got to go get a needle from the doctors, then I'm going to take the TTC to the Sheraton.

But I'll bring snacks!
Im coming so yeah :p
(May. 18, 2015  7:38 PM)Ayy lmao Wrote: But I'll bring snacks!

(Aug. 20, 2014  3:05 AM)Ayy lmao Wrote: You guys gave me a great idea! I'm gonna bring a stadium full of chips to Anime North next year, in the Hasbro Darkhelm FX Stadium.

Mmmmm.
Dude remember this?
Wow, thanks for reminding me!

It will happen. Wink
Good luck to everybody tomorrow. I'm gonna probably lose badly.
I can't believe the day has already come! so hyped for the tourney! See you'll there, and GL to everyone!
I'm heading out to pick up posters and flyers shortly and then will be making my way over to the convention! See you all soon!
Leaving at around 1:00, see you all there!
Getting in around 11 tonight, so I may or may not catch you guys, haha.
Thanks for the tourney everyone! This was the first time i got 1st place! i started attending tourneys in october 31st 2011 so it basically took me almost 4 years to finally place 1st! The sponge got so unlucky against me lol, he ended up losing to me with his omega horuseus XXX RF against my libra th170d... it was very close and in the end it was just my luck that made me win that battle X3 i was so scared lol.
Went 1-4. Goodbye for now good rank. Unhappy

Had a real fun time tonight though! 1234beyblade won for the first time tonight, LMAO went second and JesseObre went third if I remember correctly. We ended both the side events and the actual tournament at around 10:00 though I went to the gaming room for some DDR for a bit, lol.

See you all tomorrow!

EDIT: The Sponge and Wombat went fourth as well, so congrats to them too!
Today was a lot of fun i will see everybody tomorrow.

I won all 3 side events!
So my flight ended up being late, and getting to the convention took longer than I thought, so I ended up missing the volunteer opportunity (sorry Mitsu). But the event had a pretty good turnout. I got lucky enough to go undefeated in my #block but my luck ran out once I got to the finals, haha. Hopefully it'll be back tomorrow because I'm really going to need it.
That was really fun! I placed 2nd and it was probably my biggest accomplishment in my beyblade career.

See you all again today!
(May. 24, 2015  4:29 AM)RagerBlade Wrote: What were the placings?

1. 1234Beyblade
2. LMAO
3. JesseObre

All three placers were Toronto Bladers, haha.
I think my tiebreaker with Suntailhawk is missing?
(May. 27, 2015  2:25 PM)LMAO Wrote: I think my tiebreaker with Suntailhawk is missing?

Ah yeah, thanks for catching that. I've updated it.
In an attempt to bring the posthumus discussion of these events back to the public forums where anybody can post, let me write down here what happened to me on Friday and my thoughts about it :

Friday Side Events
Valentin and I arrived from a six-hour drive from Montréal slightly past 5:00 PM. We should have been there earlier, but a few stops for food and restrooms made us arrive too late for the Limited-format tournament anyway. We also had to check in at our hotel beforehand. I then drove us to the International Plaza because I was certain the tournaments would happen there, but as we looked around for the Haliburton Room, a memory came back to me that there had been a change in our location some weeks ago and that the International Plaza was probably the first location, not the current, correct one. Valentin contacted Kei and we found out that we actually had to get our own staff passes at that hotel though, so at least we were not there for nothing.

After that, we walked towards the Sheraton hotel and entered the Haliburton Room, officially dubbed by Anime North as "The Beyblade Room". The tournament was already under way but the finals had not yet started. In any case, knowing that the side events had to be built, we knew that we could definitely not participate to the tournament.

BeyStadium Tower
It took us at least an hour to build the BeyStadium Tower, including a quick walk to fetch the metal poles I had forgotten in my car, which was parked at the International Plaza still. I had never before built the BeyStadium Tower since it clearly required at least two people to hold the poles, insert the stadium floors and secure them with grips.
The fundamental material was the holed stadium floors, of course. There exists only two or three photographs of TAKARA-TOMY's Bey Sky Tree, but after scrutinizing those that did exist, I was able to figure out how many holes there were in each floor and what shape they had. The World Beyblade Organization ordered two BeyStadium Standard Types on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, the cheapest method out there, and I then had to find a way to drill holes in them. (Un)surprisingly, the plastic was way too thick to cut through with a simple X-acto; in fact, if you tried cutting a line, you would end up scratching the floor several centimetres beyond what you had planned. That usually ruins the whole stadium, unfortunately. So, after one attempt, I stopped and looked for another solution, hah. A visit to a home hardware store gave me the alternative : attach a round saw piece like a cookie mould to a drill, and hope for the best. With my father's hep, we were able to drill relatively clean holes without slicing any of our fingers or hands off. Since the stadium floors are not flat though, that created a few scratches around the holes, but I thought it could well be accepted as an extra challenge or a ridge that you should not catch onto, quite simply.
After that, the poles were easy to think of and buy; they just needed to be very solid and one-centimetre thick, so metal was the best choice. As for how the stadium floors would be secured away from each other to form a tower and to allow tops to be between two floors, I believe that I instantly thought of those screw grips that we used in chemistry and physics classes back in high school, and my father was able to get me a few dozens for free since he works as a physics teacher, in fact.

When came the time to materialise my plan though, it was clear that there was a weight imbalance caused by the metal poles at the top, and on the sides. If we tried playing in it, it always became the leaning Tower of Pisa. We attempted several fixes, but the best solution ended up being to take a crate from the table that contained electronics, turn it upside down, insert the poles in its holes, try to stick them in a fixed position as much as possible, and make the tower higher, basically, for the same length. If it the base was not moved, at least Beyblade play in it was possible and it did not lean too much. We made some slight last-minute modifications by trying to angle the stadium floors slightly so that it was more certain that Beyblades would fall in the holes, otherwise the whole tower would have been slightly boring. Huge thanks to Valentin, Cye Kinomiya and Stormscorpio1 for the help !

Beyblades were easily ejected of course, mainly because the BeyStadium Standard Type floors have no Tornado Ridge. However, unlike what some thought, that did not mean that the BeyStadium Tower was a failure. One of my worries had even been that we should have fully copied TAKARA-TOMY's concept and gotten some cage-like fence all around the tower to protect flying Beyblades from hitting the judge and spectators, but we did not need one that much.

One of Kei and I's initial plans though had been to do free-for-alls by having as many as five Beyblades in the tower at the same time, but with its fragility, we clearly saw that it would just have been chaotic. Two Beyblades at once was totally fine and it created almost a higher percentage of interesting battles than you would see in a regular, floored stadium. Even stamina battles were exciting in my opinion because you had to check two floors, and each Beyblade had been affected in a different way up until that moment. In other occasions, as was mentioned by Kei I think, a Beyblade could somehow get stuck on the hole's edge and furiously circle it, which would almost always ensure a win over the opponent if their Beyblade was still on the same floor. Some people even found that launching straight into the first hole was probably the best method.

Beyblade Race

(I believe that only Kei has photographs of the Beyblade Race setup and matches.)

Apparently this was the side event that people were most oblivious about, but who has really never tried launching a Beyblade on the floor ? Eventually it just starts sliding in a direction and you discover that your floor is probably slanted. But then you play along and try other Beyblades/tips and find out that some of them move across the floor way quicker, or go in circles, etc. I know I for sure experienced with that ten years ago back when I only owned fake Beyblades and fake stadiums and that the stadium made too much noise for my parents, hah.

It was something relatively fun and 'light' that I thouht people could enjoy, which is why I decided to suggest that as a side event. I have no idea if anybody else had had the chance to play on floors before, but I think participants got the hang of it quite quickly. I had brought a panel of 'floating wood flooring' my mother still had from when we made the basement floor in our house, and as an afterthought I placed my Anime North staff T-shirt in a bundle under one end of the panel to give it an angle, giving Beyblades more of a chance to slide in the right direction.

Ideally I wanted the end where people would launch Beyblades to have some sort of tube or other restriction to make sure that everybody would launch 'blandly' and not try to Sliding Shoot their way to the end of the race. The makeshift setup I had come up with since I thought about this litterally a few days before Anime North was that Kei would bring a Zero-G Stadium cover that we would slightly elevate to allow Beyblades to escape and go down the panel. He forgot it though, so we chose to make players alternate their position on either side of the panel to at least avoid anybody having the constant advantage of launching towards the same direction as their usual Sliding Shoot. We also just 'ordered' everybody to launch flatly.

Highlights were definitely when someone's Beyblade attacked the opponent's but it just pushed it further across the floor. It was cool though because in other occasions, it was not because someone's Beyblade exited the panel that they had lost already; we really had to see if the other Beyblade would go out farther or not, so it could still win.

Only Dark_Mousy got close to making his Beyblade go all the way to the end of the panel, but not completely.

The BeyStadium Tornado Type was just what it was, there was nothing that special about it from my point of view.

We restricted all events to Limited format to be fair to people who had only brought those combinations due to the tournament that had taken place earlier in the day. I also liked that with our win streak idea, we made people line up to battle against the current contender of the win streak and they could play again rather quickly. However, that meant that people could not really watch the battles intently. When someone got the streak, they could not play anymore though.

As for why we decided to do side events this year, personally it came from the fact that I found that last year's five tournaments had been an 'overkill'. Sure, we come for the Beyblade tournaments, but some of us have to pay a considerable amount for the Anime North passes and other expenses, and there is a whole world to enjoy in the rest of the convention. Holding so many events on all three days simply did not leave any time to go out to the other Anime North activities. That is why I had chosen, on the Sunday last year, to skip both tournaments and cosplay like I wanted to, and obviously cosplaying inside one room only is very limited.
All those tournaments also posed a problem because passerbies could not 'jump in on the action', since it is not always possible to add participants once the event has started. Consequently, side events seemed like they would be fun, would present new challenges even to competitive Bladers, would allow anyone to join even near the end of the activity, etc.

I think people might have had a prejudice that the side events were not worth attending in some cases, because we had less participants than for the tournament. It was admittedly late though, around 8:30 PM. There were prizes however, and it reminded everyone to stay on their toes but also that Beyblade is fun.

Otherwise, my thoughts on the tournament even if I could not participate in it : as I told Kei already, I would have been much more interested to play in it and arrive on time if it had not been exactly the same format as the one on Saturday. Most Bladers present at the Friday events are usually competitive, so it is not like they really need practice that much ... And Limited format is not my favourite.

On the topic of practice, I got none at all before Anime North and none since the last Montréal tournament because I had my trip to Japan, then came back to work, then my grand-aunt passed away, I had to prepare my things and my food for the trip to Anime North, etc. I litterally checked for top-tier combinations the day before, thankfully I still had pre-built Limited top-tiers from the previous event in Montréal and I made a few HMS customizations the night before. Obviously my priority was that the side events I was responsible for would work out though.