Thinking of placing ads on the site.

I'm guessing it's more dependent on which part of the world you live in.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about this. I'm concerned this wouldn't bring in enough money to make it worthwhile.
Well it wouldn't harm to give it a trial run would it?

And I can't think of many other ways to get money. (In the words of Tesco's), every little helps, right?
(Dec. 24, 2008  10:58 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Anyway, I'm still thinking about this. I'm concerned this wouldn't bring in enough money to make it worthwhile.

Any amount of money is better than none, is it not? Not that I really want Ads myself, but they wouldn't be too intrusive, I imagine.
(Dec. 25, 2008  6:57 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Dec. 24, 2008  10:58 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Anyway, I'm still thinking about this. I'm concerned this wouldn't bring in enough money to make it worthwhile.

Any amount of money is better than none, is it not? Not that I really want Ads myself, but they wouldn't be too intrusive, I imagine.

well if it would only bring in like $5 a month i'd rather just have no ads and put that money in myself
@yruahippo
Just get a visa gift card.
(Dec. 25, 2008  7:02 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Dec. 25, 2008  6:57 AM)Kei Wrote:

well if it would only bring in like $5 a month i'd rather just have no ads and put that money in myself
Well it would be 5 a month now no? It will increase as traffic does right?
Maybe we'll do a trial run.
Ads are usually a bad idea, they tend to make sites look less professional. Q.Q

If they're bringing in good money and aren't the annoying ones that make sound or try to install scripts that have malware then I guess it's okay.
Ask yourselves this: Are you willing to donate $10 a year to the site to keep it ad free? Because I'd prefer that.
^ How many people are you wanting to do this? All 600 odd members or less? Either way, I'd donate that (once I get off my backside and get a debit card).

It's starting to sound a bit like a subscription though. I dunno if thats a good or bad thing.....
A year? I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem for me.

I think putting Ads on a trial run is a good idea though. Can't hurt to see what happens.
(Dec. 26, 2008  1:14 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Ask yourselves this: Are you willing to donate $10 a year to the site to keep it ad free? Because I'd prefer that.

I don't see why ads would be such a problem but sure I can do this too.
(Dec. 26, 2008  1:24 AM)yruahippo Wrote: ^ How many people are you wanting to do this? All 600 odd members or less? Either way, I'd donate that (once I get off my backside and get a debit card).

It's starting to sound a bit like a subscription though. I dunno if thats a good or bad thing.....

I'll make it clear that I will never charge anyone any money to be a member of this site, to access features of this site, or otherwise inhibit people from using this site for free. But to run tournaments etc. costs money. We need to get that money from somewhere.
(Dec. 26, 2008  10:36 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Dec. 26, 2008  1:24 AM)yruahippo Wrote: ^ How many people are you wanting to do this? All 600 odd members or less? Either way, I'd donate that (once I get off my backside and get a debit card).

I'll make it clear that I will never charge anyone any money to be a member of this site, to access features of this site, or otherwise inhibit people from using this site for free. But to run tournaments etc. costs money. We need to get that money from somewhere.

If you get ads, please don't get doubleclick ones, they have horrible malware in. Just get some google ones or something at most and try to make them as unnoticeable (sp?) as possible.
I would never place any ads on the site that were annoying.
Brad you should get ads on your site more than you need to make out the flight ticket for Turkey lolz Grin
(Dec. 26, 2008  4:31 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I would never place any ads on the site that were annoying.

Thankyou, I've seen some really annoying ones, and there are ones that try and trick you too which can decieve some people (especially ones not too good with computers).

I'm thinking if we offer a little more random stuff to people who donate then they might be more convinced? So far we haven't gotten many (I know I'm not a donator myself but I'll try once I can get a debit card! My bank doesn't let me a have a full one 'til 16 years old. Pinching_eyes_2)

I know for a fact that people who aren't too familiar with sites and haven't been long term members are hesitant to donate.
If I offer presents to people who donate, all the donations will go to giving stuff to people who donate. So that's not very productive.
(Dec. 27, 2008  5:58 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: If I offer presents to people who donate, all the donations will go to giving stuff to people who donate. So that's not very productive.

Do what gift shops do? Brand stuff and charge people insane amounts for it?

If the gift shop from the natural history museum can sell £8 rubbers then so can we. Pinching_eyes

Hmm, maybe as we get more members we might get more donators?
As long as they dont' talk, it's all good to me.
Sorry to bring this old thread up back to life but we really should do something about this. I have been telling to monetize the forum since he started using MOJ but he hasnt been very much attention to it.

I have an idea and I am throwing it in for everyone to build up on it. How about starting a beyblade shop of WBO. I know alot of users dont want to contribute the real $$$ directly from their pockets which is understandable but alot of these folks are very much willing to donate their time to make this forum work. What they can do is to donate the time and help on setting up the store and running it. I would be willing to contribute the MOJ share of labor. We can order bulk orders and then sell them in retail and get the profits either directly to Brad or recycle the extra $$$ by ordering more of these things called "beyblades". These blades and other toys can be used during competitions.

I would also be willing to place orders for items for competitions without charging for any of the MOJ commission charges which means Labor Time Donation to WBO from MOJ.

Just an idea and plz build up on this....
I think this is certainly an idea worth considering. A lot of members don't want to, can't, or are hesitant to order using MOJ directly, so having a store set up through the WBO would enable us to get Metal Fight Beyblades to even more of our users.
I love the idea, Azuma!
Also, I wouldn't mind some ads, I'm so used to it that they won't even bother me.
EDIT: Woops, great Idea Azuma!
Definitely for Azuma's idea, a WBO shop would be amazingly useful, and if it funds the site at the same time.
Well, that's about as good as it gets Smile