Theflightyellz's Quick Guide to Plastic Dyeing

oh yeah
(Mar. 14, 2010  4:37 PM)♥ Wrote: [Image: th_Virgo.png] [Image: th_Virgo2.png] [Image: th_Virgo3.png]
[Image: th_Virgospin.png] [Image: th_Virgospin2.png] [Image: th_Virgospin3.png]

:]

First time i saw those last three pics it looked like the bey was floating, either way beautiful colors :-D
i will try this with my bull
A: So it still works on non-clear parts?
B:Is it just more effective on clear parts?
C:Why are the parts on cable ties?
D:There's no step on what you did to the faces.
E:If I did this and I wanted to change the color later, could I? or would it get screwed up?
(Aug. 09, 2010  1:16 AM)ShadowPegasis Wrote: A: So it still works on non-clear parts?
E:If I did this and I wanted to change the color later, could I? or would it get screwed up?

A. Look at what I did with Storm Pegasis and look at that Virgo. Yes it does
B. I think it's as effective however you have to have a rather extensive knowledge of colours before you screw around with the dyes a clear part will take the colour of whatever Dye you chose. Look at my Pegasis it's green that was Tan dye it was originally Blue.
C. ?
D. He put them in a little washing tablet bag and threw them in like that you can see them if you look at the picture.
E. Depending on how Dark and the colour it MIGHT be feasible, However once you go black you can't go back. MAYBE with some thinner or bleach or something but you can damage the plastic that way.
Hooray double post. Apparently you can undo a mistake by attempting another colour. It will not go black or add onto the colour you dyed it. Instead it becomes some sort of fusion between the new colour and what it was originally.
is it a good i idea to do this with Rubber flat and coat sharp?
I've done the same rubber flat twice now. It's fine to use.
(Aug. 09, 2010  3:51 AM)Train Wrote:
(Aug. 09, 2010  1:16 AM)ShadowPegasis Wrote: A: So it still works on non-clear parts?

B. I think it's as effective however you have to have a rather extensive knowledge of colours before you screw around with the dyes a clear part will take the colour of whatever Dye you chose. Look at my Pegasis it's green that was Tan dye it was originally Blue.
C. ?
D. He put them in a little washing tablet bag and threw them in like that you can see them if you look at the picture.
E. Depending on how Dark and the colour it MIGHT be feasible, However once you go black you can't go back. MAYBE with some thinner or bleach or something but you can damage the plastic that way.

C : I don't know why he had to put them cable ties. Couldn't he have just thrown them in like with the Faces?

Also, I don't get step 4. Do you mix the dye with hot water and put it on top of a stove?
What would happen to the clear wheel with stickers along with the bolt?
If you plan to dye something, leave the stickers off until after. Especially since you have to wash your parts with soap and water before dyeing. Or alternatively request replacement stickers in the Sticker Sheets thread,
What if I just take out the stickers on the clear wheel and just keep on the sticker on the bolt? Because it looked like Flight kept it on. I may be wrong though.
Taking off the stickers on the wheel might not go well. Flight most likely didn't put on a sticker. In japan the graphics are already on the face, but you could add a sticker with more aesthetics.
Oh wow I didn't know the graphics are on there already. How convenient. Anyway, I might just take out all the stickers completely.
(Sep. 12, 2010  5:02 AM)ShadowPegasis Wrote:
(Aug. 09, 2010  3:51 AM)Train Wrote:

C. ?

C : I don't know why he had to put them cable ties. Couldn't he have just thrown them in like with the Faces?

Also, I don't get step 4. Do you mix the dye with hot water and put it on top of a stove?

I don't honestly know why you use cable ties either I would guess to dip it in and hold it there for a shorter time if you wanna attempt a lighter colour. I mix the dye in when I get it to a simmer (when the water is bubbling a lot, but not to a true boil where the bubbles are flowing over and popping).
Finally my Rit dye came in the mail xD I was just wondering, would using a saucepan with a lid be okay? Instead of worrying about the water splashing everywhere and using cloths around the saucepan. Will this be okay to do, or will it cause problems ? (The saucepan lid is made of glass, so it is clear and easy to see through)
(Sep. 16, 2010  9:39 AM)Omega Wrote: Finally my Rit dye came in the mail xD I was just wondering, would using a saucepan with a lid be okay? Instead of worrying about the water splashing everywhere and using cloths around the saucepan. Will this be okay to do, or will it cause problems ? (The saucepan lid is made of glass, so it is clear and easy to see through)

This is exactly what I use. I think with it being covered over the water simmers faster, just keep an eye on it last time I had issues with boiling and some spill over.
Could Someone make a video of this its probably going to be more helpful
(Sep. 13, 2010  12:30 PM)Train Wrote: I don't honestly know why you use cable ties either I would guess to dip it in and hold it there for a shorter time if you wanna attempt a lighter colour. I mix the dye in when I get it to a simmer (when the water is bubbling a lot, but not to a true boil where the bubbles are flowing over and popping).

It's so you can take the part out easily to check, without having to fish it out with a spoon or something.

Blackdranzer671 Wrote:Could Someone make a video of this its probably going to be more helpful

The instructions are pretty simple to follow, man.
(Sep. 28, 2010  9:04 PM)♥ Wrote:
(Sep. 13, 2010  12:30 PM)Train Wrote: I don't honestly know why you use cable ties either I would guess to dip it in and hold it there for a shorter time if you wanna attempt a lighter colour. I mix the dye in when I get it to a simmer (when the water is bubbling a lot, but not to a true boil where the bubbles are flowing over and popping).

It's so you can take the part out easily to check, without having to fish it out with a spoon or something.

Blackdranzer671 Wrote:Could Someone make a video of this its probably going to be more helpful

The instructions are pretty simple to follow, man.

Still a video would probably be more helpful
Tried this out a couple of weeks back, it's actually pretty awesome. Just a warning though, this can be very dangerous and you have to be very careful and watch it at all times. Get it to boiling point but DO NOT have it on a high heat or else it will overflow really fast (Happened to me, spilled everywhere, it even spills out with a lid on and it took forever to get the dye stains off the kitchen bench and stove).

I'll post pictures soon Joyful_3. Oh one other thing, I tried dying a launcher. Don't do it, unless you take all the parts apart first, ended up melting it in a weird shape and won't work anymore xD
So this dye won't come off?
No.
Actually it can slightly fade over time, especially on the tip of the bottom since it rubs against the stadium a lot. But it's not too bad, it'll last a long time.
(Sep. 16, 2010  12:19 PM)Train Wrote:
(Sep. 16, 2010  9:39 AM)Omega Wrote: Finally my Rit dye came in the mail xD I was just wondering, would using a saucepan with a lid be okay? Instead of worrying about the water splashing everywhere and using cloths around the saucepan. Will this be okay to do, or will it cause problems ? (The saucepan lid is made of glass, so it is clear and easy to see through)

This is exactly what I use. I think with it being covered over the water simmers faster, just keep an eye on it last time I had issues with boiling and some spill over.

DO NOT put the lid on.
The last thing you could ever want is this stuff boiling over, you shouldn't ever try and get it to a temperature higher than a light simmer.
Small bubbles is literally all you should be looking for.
The rags and clothes are mainly for when you remove your parts since you don't want to let drips of this stuff get anywhere.