The Writers Handbook

IKR!!! I've asked for this to be stickied but its not... why!!!!???!!!
Because nothing is ever stickied in this forum. We just need to teach the newbies ourselves.
... yeh but newbies probably won't read a guide this long...
STORM THE BAD STORY THREADS! They cannot ignore our numbers... Oh, wait. We have none... Ah, well.
Noodoo, you are awesome. Conflicts, yes, I make plots out of them. Hey Bunii, you need help? I can help you with the Advance Handbook.
yeh that would be appreciated...
Send me a PM then. I'm workIng on it. Advanced eh? Let's see...
Hah, I derp. I just realized that IKR means "I know, right?". This is what happens when you ALWAYS post in 100% proper English, you miss out on such acronyms. I feel pretty fail.
hahaha!!! its okay... i didn't know what IMO and TBH were for ages!!!
(Aug. 10, 2011  7:56 AM)Temporal Wrote: Hah, I derp. I just realized that IKR means "I know, right?". This is what happens when you ALWAYS post in 100% proper English, you miss out on such acronyms. I feel pretty fail.

I thought it stood for "Firetruck the World". Guess I'm even more of a n00b.

Bunnii, I'll PM you with some ideas, but I don't see what you mean by 'advanced', really...
by advanced i mean with more info for good writers not this basic stuff...
Another thing you could add is 'don't put in a poll until you have written a minimum of 3 chapters'. I think this is important so people can know where the story is going and if they made a bad first chapter it can be redeemed if the next 2 are good. The poll is a stain on your story which never goes so wait, get some advice from post evaluations and then see if you can make it better before you put in the poll.
hmmm, i could but then i'd be a bit hypocritical because i like to write a prologue and continue writing based on what people say...
Then again, isn't the point to allow a new level of writers to follow, then surpass what has already been established as upper-level writing here and in the world in general? We want them to be better, so being hypocritical is okay if it betters the back end.
hmmm, thats conflicting...

my reputation or better writers?

you've given me a lot to think about.... Grin
After recently looking at a thread, I have to point something else out. Don't make excuses. Nobody cares if you "had to go to Football practice" or the fact that you're "only 12". We care about your damn writing! Seriously, if you don't have time, don't rush to get your chapter out! It's excuses that make you seem even worse than you actually are. I don't know if I mentioned this before.
Actually, you know what I hate the most? People fight the advice. It goes along with what Noodoo said about excuses. First they ask "Critique?" then, when you offer it, they try to correct you "Actually, that's because..." or "When did I do that?" and even "I never do that!"
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-The-Begi...r-Requests Prime example.

I tried so hard...
(Aug. 25, 2011  8:34 PM)NoodooSoup Wrote: After recently looking at a thread, I have to point something else out. Don't make excuses. Nobody cares if you "had to go to Football practice" or the fact that you're "only 12". We care about your damn writing! Seriously, if you don't have time, don't rush to get your chapter out! It's excuses that make you seem even worse than you actually are. I don't know if I mentioned this before.

So true. I've already mentioned this, but I HATE it.

Sparta: Ive got your back on that one. That was out of line to fight advice because you think you're awesome, and it comes from the people saying "Gr8 storee! Keep Going!". It encourages bad writers not to improve.
i just read that thread.

i LOL'ed my face off. 'Im only 9'

yeh well most of the AMAZING witers here are around 13/14...

look at sparta he's 15
BBP 10
Me 12

Age is not an excuse and i think we have made this clear...
we seriously need to set some guidelines for the readers and writers here... ya know i think i'll do that write now...

another point i wanna make is that the reason why people say great story when its absolutely rubbish is because the writing standard on the WBO is so low...

How can we raise it?

sorry i missed some people i didnt know the ages of:

Noodoosoup
Temporal
Aura
SwiftShadow is amazing
and
cyberblader27
how can i bee gud if i only 4 years old?

I'm actually 13. Almost 14 Joyful_3
I'm only 11. At least I'm older than some of the beginners here.
Sorry dude, I'm 14. 15 soon, but noooooot quite yet (October!).

I don't think it's so much a low standard as it is making people feel good so they'll take your character request. They want to weasel themselves into other peoples stories and then attempt to run them. The writer is always complimented so he feels obliged to put the character as a main pro or antagonist.

My theory, anyways. We have 3 other threads to discuss writing in (State of WBO, State of YC, WBO Writing-Help it), so we have to pick just one to discuss this in and leave the rest alone. Otherwise we are SPAMMING and being a part of the problem Uncertain.
This topic is for do's and do not's in writing. State of the WBO is for anything in general, but we shouldn't post there. WBO Writing -Help it, should be merged with State of YC, so we should use the State of the YC one. Just my input.
Bunnii, the level at which this thread was written is fantsatic. It has been a great help to many members I know that enjoy posting thier stories. I am very excited that a thread like this has finally come up, and it's good to know it is here. Taking into to consideration the fact that the standard has been set so low here, I think an idea might be that we don't really need to comment on every story. Many on the WBO enjoy writing, and that is a great thing, but people have not been monitoring or even revising thier stories after they have posted, and when we get the urge to correct them, instead of doing this, just reffer them to this thread. I'm going to put it in my sig. Another idea is that a writer should try to run their story through or type first on Microsoft Word or another typing program, as it has many assets, such as Spelling and Grammar-(it is not the best, but it helps). I hope this helps, and Thank You for this thread,

ShockCaelum
Your welcome thanks for the support