The Karate Kid (2010) - Wax on, or get To a body bag?

(Jun. 08, 2010  3:03 PM)To Wrote: I've mentioned this before, but the guy who played Daniel (Ralph Macchio?) was actually 21... At the end of Part 3 he was in his late 20's early 30's IIRC. That's pretty wild. But yeah, Jaden protraying a character so much younger than Daniel is, will make this an awkward watch, especially since it seems there will be a love interest...

I've said this a couple of times before (damn crappy servers), but the reason this movie is called "The Karate Kid" is solely due to marketing. When the movie was in production (ie. script writing, filming, etc.) it was under the name "The Kung Fu Kid" which explains why this movie isn't anything near a remake of the original movie. Sony felt that in certain markets that calling it "The Kung Fu Kid" would lose audiences who watched the original but would skip over this movie because it's just another underdog story, hence the name change to something that invokes nostalgia. In Asian markets, it will be known as "The Kung Fu Kid" rather than "The Karate Kid".
yeah i must admit that "Karate Kid" is more catchy ..."Jacket on jacket off." lol cheap rip off of "Wax on Wax off"
Waxing on it's way to box office gold. The movie's first weekend numbers are at $56million, which puts its first week gross higher than the all time gross of the past two Karate Kid movies (The Karate Kid Part 3, and The Next Karate Kid) and in the position to out gross the original two, assuming it has legs. It currently sits at a solid 70% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I still haven't seen it.
So I did get to see it, and zomgosh, it's a good movie. It's kind of weird that despite all the changes made to the movie, there are scenes, and dialogue that looks exactly ripped out of the original. Even from the vibes you get, both movies blast you with various pop songs that'll instantly date the movie from the opening shot, lol. Chan was really good, it's the most believable performance I've seen him do in English. I was right about Jaden being the weakness of the movie. The whole love interest was better than I expected, but still very awkward to see 12 year olds go through.

Also miffed as to why that sensei and that boy wanted to protect that girl so much. Really miffed as to why that sensei wanted to destroy a 12 year old boy. In the original it was clear Johnny was in a relationship with that girl, and it felt more authentic to see a teenager getting trashed rather than a little boy.

Still better than the last two Karate Kid movies.

And yes, the Bieber song is the first thing you hear when the credits role, lol.