The Duel Masters / Kaijudo Thread: Magic had a baby and it's totally *awesome*

Duel Masters Victory is a 15 minute CG animated series (I hoped it would've been 2D Unhappy ), so I hope that's not the one coming over. I'd rather have Hasbro create their own mythos.
(Apr. 26, 2011  9:11 PM)To Wrote: Duel Masters Victory is a 15 minute CG animated series (I hoped it would've been 2D Unhappy ), so I hope that's not the one coming over. I'd rather have Hasbro create their own mythos.
If I remember correctly, Hasbro did a great job making their own versions of popular Anime's in the past. So hopefully this show turns out good. I'm kinda hoping for a completely new series, I just hope that it uses the new character and not the old one.
I liked how the dub constantly broke the 4th wall. I'm not sure if the dub was translated from the original, but I liked the humor.

I played the card game back then, and by far it is the most favorite card game I have played. Simple to newcomers, but can have some depth.

I liked running Water/Light Blockers with Diamond Cutter, or using bits and pieces of the Darkness civilization with either Water or Light. Phantasmal Horror Gigzabal was the most favorite card I had, however I had only 2 or 3 Chimeras to use as a "base" for it to evolve.

I would've used that one Light monster that allowed you to take your creatures from your side of the Battle Zone and place them as your shields (i seriously had 4 copies of this card somehow), but I didn't have many Shield Trigger effect monsters to use its ability effectively.
The dub was translated from the original Japanese, just with a lot more jokes written in. The series is more comedic in nature than Yu-Gi-Oh!, but no where near the case of being considered a self-parody without the dub.

Anyways, I just found what I assume was my deck. It's kind of nasty since I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be able to win any matches with this thanks to mana requirements.

Darkness:
Necrodragon Izorist Vhal
Ice Vapor, Shadow of Anguish
Skeleton Soldier, the Defiled
Chaos Worm
Bone Spider
Black Feather, Shadow of Rage
Gigastand x2
Bat Doctor, Shadow of Undeath x2

Nature:
Fortress Shell
Whip Scorpion
Tri-horn Shepherd
Vine Charger
Bronze-Arm Tribe
Poisonous Mushroom
Steel Smasher
Essence Elf

Water:
Impossible Tunnel x2
Aqua Shooter
Aqua Jolter
Emperor Maroll
Tekorax

Light:
Glena Vuele, the Hypnotic
Diamond Cutter
Betrale, the Explorer x2
Fonch, the Oracle
La Ura Giga, Sky Guardian
Ur Pale, Seeker of Sunlight
Ladia Bale, the Inspirational
Cyclolink, Spectral Knight

Fire:
Engineer Kipo
Fists of Forever
Quakesaur x2
Armored Blaster Valdios
Magmadragon Ogrist Vhal
Aerodactyl Kooza
Cavalry General Curatops
Crimson Hammer

My local hobby shop has had Duel Masters packs in the clearance bin for years. Maybe I should give them a home...

Here's the Duel Masters Victory website.
You'll have higher chances of winning if you use at maximum 2 civilizations (some push their luck with 3).

When running 2 civs, your deck is more streamlined and you get the mana type that you need. Imagine if I tried to put Phantasmal Horror Gigzabal (Light Stealth + Double Breaker lol) or a normal Chimera down but all I had were Light cards in my mana zone. =/
Yeah, looking at that card list I honestly have no clue how I'd summon anything. A lot of those cards required a bunch of mana, and because I have every civilization represented I wasn't going to get a lot to use.

I'll probably end up buying a bunch of packs since they're cheap and make a deck based on Light since I have a bunch of decent cards there.
You could combine light with one of any of the other remaining civs according to your play style without harming it's overall speed and flow:

Darkness: Destroying your opponent by making him discard/Slayer creatures/Blockers
Nature: Increasing your overall pace due to putting down excessive amounts of mana quickly
Fire: Attacking creatures or attack boosts lol
Water: Blocker?

I vaguely remember Fire and Water having a few Shield Trigger creatures, so if you want you can pair up Rondobil the Explorer with them.

Some creatures have dual-typing though, not sure how exactly that works.

I like La Ura Giga. Having four copies of him in your deck definitely isn't bad, and if you can attack your opponent's shields directly, zerg rushing with them (with Diamond Cutter) is definitely fun.

Wish I could get back into the game, but no one around me plays/is willing to play lol
(Apr. 01, 2011  8:34 PM)Bey-Heart Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2011  8:41 PM)To Wrote: The anime was like a year or two old by the time it was dubbed. You just picked out a poor promo image that's likely been taken out of the actual show.
Actually I just picked the first picture that showed up on Google.

That new character is kinda weird looking. It looks like a cross between Gingka Hagane, and Lan Hikari. (From Megaman: NT Warrior) The hair reminds me of Gingka, and the vest and orange shirt reminds me of Lan Hikari.

I kinda liked the old character a lot better. But considering the fact that Japan has had the same main character for like 12 years now, I can understand why he was replaced.
In the manga, he looks like Shoubu. But he looks yucky in the "anime"

. Pinching_eyes_2
@To: Hyper Yoyo ain't that weird.

@Anyone reading this
I like Duel masters! I'm getting some pretty cool promos w CoroCoro.
i wachted this a bit but to me it seem like a carpy blantet rip of yugioh in every ways
This thread is FILLED WITH WIN!!!!!!!!!
My bro and I used to play all the time, he always got amazing light cards from boosters which was unfair because he hated them. I traded many a Balom to get Ladia Bale the Inspirational.
(Jun. 23, 2011  1:11 PM)njrk97 Wrote: i wachted this a bit but to me it seem like a carpy blantet rip of yugioh in every ways

the main point of the dubbed anime was to make fun of yugioh and card games to begin with
And anime in general. I loved that show. I still have my deck, untouched, waiting for a revival. I wonder if the original animation will be used?
I played when I was younger might play again. Made a Giga deck mostly. Ill have to start from scratch.(Damn basement flood)
Just got one o' them double-sided two-card Super Psychic monsters from Japan. Pure epicosity. [Image: 250px-Dm-p10b%2B11b.jpg] Pic of it from Duel Masters Wiki.
I used to play duel masters, about 4 years ago. It was really fun, everyone was buying rather cheap booster packs, and the ultra rares are awesome. Super dragon bajula or something was the first foil i got from a expensive booster pack. Pretty much after 2 months, suddenly stocks were out.. and the game ended. in Singapore atleast.
Since last posting here, Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters has since been confirmed to not be a dub of any of the Japanese series, but rather an entirely new production. The show's voice acting is being recorded in Los Angeles.

But recently a new piece of the puzzle has emerged. Korean animation studio MOI let it out that they are the animation studio behind Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters. The studio has previously worked on the likes of Thundercats, The Boondocks, the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man series, and something close to home with Hasbro - GI Joe: Renegades. With this information, we can confirm that this won't be a CG series.

Hallelujah Hasbro!
yay, new duel masters. i have too many of these cards and no one to play with, but it's an awsome card game. i have so many doubles, triple, qudruples,etc, etc,etc that i could start an enitre ebay store that would last for a year while alowing me to keep my 3 decks. i better start making a new deck to blast some kids out of the game. i like seeing kids play but when i play against them i just beat them before they can smash one sheild. ive got more of these cards than yu-gi-oh, partly because the melborn show and whitlesea show keep putting base and stomp-a-trons series decks and boosters in their show bags. i still have a 13 mana card from the stomp a trons set and 2 gba video games.
Really, now? Thank you, Hasbro! Is there any information on a possible TCG revival?
(Jun. 23, 2011  2:06 PM)bugturtles Wrote:
(Jun. 23, 2011  1:11 PM)njrk97 Wrote: i wachted this a bit but to me it seem like a carpy blantet rip of yugioh in every ways

the main point of the dubbed anime was to make fun of yugioh and card games to begin with

oh i never watched it expecting something like yugioh curse you 4 kids
Duel Masters goes metal?!!

[Image: QAZ0N.jpg]

Quote:The November issue of Shogakukan's Monthly Corocoro Comic magazine is confirming on Saturday that the long-running Duel Masters card game franchise will add its first ever cards made of metal. The Strong Metal Deck packs will each have a pre-constructed set of 40 non-metal cards, 2 metal cards, and a playing guide. The decks will ship in two varieties — Bakuretsu Dash (Explosive Dash) and Saikyō Kokugi (Strongest National Sport) — for 2,100 yen (about US$27) on November 19.

Anime News Network
Just what we don't need... More gimmicks.
Yeah, I'm a bit confused on how metal would add a new element of gameplay to the series.
Are you serious? That's some shizz. Also: If that's true, there had better be some type of epic mana cost. 17 sounds good.
Even more news about Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters slips out! Gary Hartle, director and story board artist behind the really good He-Man 2002 remake, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is working on Kaijudo, and in a recent interview with Toonzone, he let this slip:

Quote:TZN: Can you give us any information on your next project with Hasbro Studios?

GARY HARTLE: I can't yet. It's really in the development stage right now. I can probably just tell you that it's Kaijudo. And we are going to try and do as we did with the Masters of the Universe and make a whole lore out of it and try to show everybody that they are literally living in a Kaijudo world right now, they don't even know it.

TZN: Will it be traditionally animated or CG?

GARY HARTLE: It will be traditional.

Welp, Hasbro's officially going to make the best Duel Masters show in the franchise's history.

To recap, we know that Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters is an all new original production created by Hasbro. The animation studio behind GI Joe: Renegades, and other incidental work, MOI Animation are behind the 2D animated show. We know it's being recorded in Los Angeles, and now we officially know Hasbro's bringing out some talented people to work on this show.

Maybe even more interesting is that the Duel Masters brand makes a surprise appearance in Unit: E - a crossover comic book Hasbro created for New York Comic Con, where the various beloved Hasbro franchises (Transformers, JEM, GI Joe, Micronauts, MASK, etc.) work together. I haven't seen the comic myself, so I can't say what kind of role the series is portrayed as, but this is certainly encouraging. Really, really encouraging.