TCGs you play or used to play.

(Nov. 17, 2008  12:40 PM)shikamaru526 Wrote: Alcadias, Ballom, and Bolmetues aren't banned.
Although Bombarzar is... maybe they mistook it for Bolmeteus "Sapphire" Dragon(?) which is banned.
And I don't understand "broken".

Sapphire dragon is banned.
I know alcadeus and ballom are not banned, however the moron I was argueing with says that they should be.
Ballom - He blows up anything that isn't dark, whoopdy do, Alcadeus: Can only cast light spells.
Once they're both tapped, they're carp!

Broken means that the card/deck is completely stupid and should've been banned anyway.
Yugioh's Chaos deck (Chaos emperor dragon/Yata Garasu/Witch of the black forest) is a perfect example of broken.
Like we were talking about before, I found Pokémon had a lot more stone-set rules than yugioh however the "flip a coin" thing really ground my gears. It was like "flip a coin, if heads you win!" in the end. >.>

WotC cards really owned Nintendo ones imo... Oh, except when that kid at a tournament kept lying that it was his birthday. The third time he tried it they kicked him out. Joyful_3

Anyways, M:TG seems to have simpler yet better rules than yugioh with a little more action, yugioh was always so complicated (god, reading relinquished was like trying to interpret the BIBLE).
(Nov. 17, 2008  6:53 PM)Pikachao Wrote: Like we were talking about before, I found Pokémon had a lot more stone-set rules than yugioh however the "flip a coin" thing really ground my gears. It was like "flip a coin, if heads you win!" in the end. >.>

WotC cards really owned Nintendo ones imo... Oh, except when that kid at a tournament kept lying that it was his birthday. The third time he tried it they kicked him out. Joyful_3

Anyways, M:TG seems to have simpler yet better rules than yugioh with a little more action, yugioh was always so complicated (god, reading relinquished was like trying to interpret the BIBLE).

XD!!!

I like the cards that both wizards and nintendo made to be honest.
None of my cards except for Time-space distortion in my deck involve flipping a coin Tongue_out It's not as frequent as it was.

In Yugioh it's "I play Dark armed Dragon, I win"
Ballom is nothing to be afraid of! Well in japan at least.
There are cards that add to your civilization, and an awesome fairy that makes all of your mana count as all 5 civilizations. So even Dorballom wouldn't work anymore.
(Nov. 17, 2008  6:53 PM)Pikachao Wrote: Anyways, M:TG seems to have simpler yet better rules than yugioh with a little more action, yugioh was always so complicated (god, reading relinquished was like trying to interpret the BIBLE).

depends how you play MTG to be honest, if you play casually then the rules arent that bad, start playing competitively at tournaments and be prepared for rulings involving 'damage on the stack, sacrifice my creature for it's effect' among many others including the whole stack process (the stack is what yugioh calls the 'chain' in which spells are cast)

Good luck playing the game Joyful_3, I used to love it, until it became too competitive and expensive for me to play.

and Spinster, if you have cards from Beta, you really should get them valued,

Time warp, black lotus, mox emerald,jet,ruby,sapphire and whatever else the moxes are called are all worth £100 plus easy.
(Nov. 17, 2008  8:57 PM)Dreamborn Wrote:
(Nov. 17, 2008  6:53 PM)Pikachao Wrote: Anyways, M:TG seems to have simpler yet better rules than yugioh with a little more action, yugioh was always so complicated (god, reading relinquished was like trying to interpret the BIBLE).

depends how you play MTG to be honest, if you play casually then the rules arent that bad, start playing competitively at tournaments and be prepared for rulings involving 'damage on the stack, sacrifice my creature for it's effect' among many others including the whole stack process (the stack is what yugioh calls the 'chain' in which spells are cast)

Good luck playing the game Joyful_3, I used to love it, until it became too competitive and expensive for me to play.

and Spinster, if you have cards from Beta, you really should get them valued,

Time warp, black lotus, mox emerald,jet,ruby,sapphire and whatever else the moxes are called are all worth £100 plus easy.

I understand sacrificing creatures for their effects and the stack process thing, some cards seem to be a little vague about how they work though while some just plain seem to not fit in with the game.

Such as: http://www.twau.co.uk/product/15988/Ajani_Vengeant

(you can click zoom to see it better). How does this card work anyone? o.o By the way, I'll probably get a better idea after reading the rulebook, so far I'm going off what my friend said while playing.

EDIT: By the way, how many colours of mana should I include? I was thinking red/white or red/black but idk anymore... =/
Bajula's soul got banned! I'm so mad, I have an unopened Victory soul, I can only use 1 Bajula's Soul and 1 hahanaru daichi. Unhappy
(Nov. 17, 2008  9:41 PM)Pikachao Wrote: I understand sacrificing creatures for their effects and the stack process thing, some cards seem to be a little vague about how they work though while some just plain seem to not fit in with the game.

Such as: http://www.twau.co.uk/product/15988/Ajani_Vengeant

(you can click zoom to see it better). How does this card work anyone? o.o By the way, I'll probably get a better idea after reading the rulebook, so far I'm going off what my friend said while playing.

EDIT: By the way, how many colours of mana should I include? I was thinking red/white or red/black but idk anymore... =/

I don't know how much you know, so I'm just going to start from the top. Don't be offended if I explain something you already know.

Ajani is one of a handful of Planeswalker cards they're coming out with. Planeswalkers are a new card type they released back in Lorwyn, and they let you summon a Planeswalker ally that can do nifty things for you. When the Planeswalker comes into play, you put a certain number of loyalty counters on it (this number is in the lower right corner; Ajani Vengeant comes into play with 3 loyalty counters, for instance). You can add and remove your Planeswalker ally's loyalty counters by using one of its abilities, which are listed in its text box. You can play these abilities any time you could play a Sorcery, and you can play them the same turn the Planeswalker comes into play. So for instance, you could have Ajani Vengeant come into play, and then use it's +1 ability to raise it's loyalty to 5. You can also use it's -2 ability to bring it's loyalty down to 1.

However, your opponent can also lower the Planeswalker's loyalty by dealing damage to it. Damaging Planeswalkers is different than damaging creatures, however, since Planeswalkers aren't creatures; damage-wise, they count as another player. This means that opponents can either attack the Planeswalker directly with their creatures (which you can still block with yours); or they use direct damage spells that say "target player" (they target you, but state that they're directing damage to the Planeswalker). If your Planeswalker's loyalty hits 0, they're discarded (they basically say "Screw it, you're on your own," and leave).

One other thing: Planeswalkers are treated a lot like Legendary Creatures; if you or your opponent has a Planeswalker out, and you put another one out that shares the same Subtype, then both are destroyed. So for instance, if your opponent had an Ajani Goldmane out, and you played an Ajani Vengeant, they'd both go to the graveyard because they both have the Subtype "Ajani."

I hope this clears a few things up!
*Knows bugger all about magic because it never appealed to me*
So I'll join Brad on this :pwn:
Thanks, that explained a lot. The rules thingy wasn't too clear about plainswalkers. =]
(Nov. 17, 2008  8:57 PM)Dreamborn Wrote: and Spinster, if you have cards from Beta, you really should get them valued,

I never got any of the real heavy hitters, monetary value-wise. I just have a LOT of the mid-range ones. The majority of my collection is 3rd Edition (I think it was officially called "Revised"). I've got almost a complete collection of Fallen Empires and Homelands (my two favourite expansions, even though many players consider them to be pretty worthless). Lots of cards from The Dark and Legends, a few from Arabian Nights, maybe less than a hundred from Antiquities (man, that was a cool expansion). I've got quite a bit from Ice Age and Mirage. I kept buying Mirage cards for so long... I was trying to get the entire "Love Song of Night and Day" in the flavour texts. Don't think I quite finished it. I stopped buying at either Visions or Weatherlight, can't remember which. As far as Betas go, I think I only have 2 or 3 thousand from that set, none of the mega-worth ones, as far as I know.
In the rulebook I see a rule where "mana burn" happens, losing 1 life for each land untapped at the end of your turn. Do people still play by this? I ask because my friend didn't seem to follow this rule if I remember right.
I misread your post, so lemme try this again. Mana burn isn't about untapped lands, it's about unused mana in your mana pool. When you tap a land for mana in a certain phase (Beginning, 1st Main, Combat, 2nd Main, or End), mana of a certain color is added to your mana pool. You then have to spend that mana during that phase, or else you will get burned (lose one life for each unused mana).

So, for instance, if you tap 5 lands in your 1st Main Phase to summon a creature that only costs 4 mana, and you don't use that last mana before moving to your Combat Phase, you'll lose 1 life due to mana burn.
Doesn't it involve Mana that you receive from card effects as well? IIRC that was the main concept of that rule. I don't see why anyone would tap more land than they needed...
All mana, once in the pool, behaves the same, regardless of source. It still retains its colour (for a visual representation of this, I know a lot of players would use little glass beads of six different colours; one for each land type, and another to represent colourless mana), but otherwise is just "mana". There were a few strategies that focused on killing an opponent through mana burn, essentially denying them the ability to spend it after it's in the pool. I don't know if they're still used, they weren't all that popular back in the day to begin with, but it was a valid, legal means of getting the job done.
Addendum: there were also lands that would give more than one mana if tapped. Sometimes you'd be in a bind and have to tap such a land when you only needed one more mana, and just couldn't find a use for that last one. Thus, burn.
(Nov. 22, 2008  4:24 AM)Elmo Wrote: Doesn't it involve Mana that you receive from card effects as well? IIRC that was the main concept of that rule. I don't see why anyone would tap more land than they needed...

Yeah, I almost forgot about the other card effects. It's been a while since I played.
Duel Masters - Super Deck Cross 2!!!!