Surviving the jungle known as "High School"

Woah, I'm going to high school in september! I want to go, but I have a feeling I won't make friends 'cuz I'm too shy. It's like, I only talk to the people in my class because I was with them for 8 periods every day.
J-14 Magazine: WBO Edition.
It's a good thing I am graduating High School. Tongue_out
Until my computer is fixed, I will continue to have terrible grammar xD most of my hours on WBO are actually spent on my iPod Uncertain. Anyways, should I add more tips/fix anything?
Im far from high school. Im so proud.
Well, at least dis thread prepaired me. THANKS Grin
@ Stay well prepared.
@ help out those you can,
@ get to know the staff well (this can be used to bail you out when someone frames you ex.: I got framed for hitting someone, I was clueless and the main principle could read me well to know I didn't do anything),
@ balance your skills,
@ making a little cash with odd jobs may help
@ know when to stand and when to get help, those who can stand the pressure of the higher years with out breaking or trouble get respect just DO NOT be aggressive and get in trouble, use words and endurance
Man, I'm graduating tomorrow. Some of my friends aren't going to my school... Crying
IM GOING UP TO HIGH SCHOOL IN SEPTEMBER!!!!!! Actually its not that bad, when I went for an 3month early visit last Thursday, it wasn't that bad, it was so big I kept walking up and down the same place over and over again, yet every time I walked past different people O_O.
Seriously, I doubt it's going to be as scary as it looks, you'll find new friends in no time and you'll just get used to it as a daily routine after a couple of weeks. The only thing i'm really freaked out about is handing in homework every day, Tired
I Think I am just going to wing it like all the test I have ever done. :V
same thing each year just need to try a little but harder.
Oh, don't think that there won't be any issues. People tend to get conceited and rude once they hit 9th grade. Keep your head up, and stay out of trouble. It's not so hard. But don't only expect HW. Expect full essays, filling out applications, Literary Analyses, getting irked, and a lot more useless crud from people. Actually, try to keep the teachers on your side more often. You will eventually need letters of recommendation, and it'll look kinda stupid if you ask a teacher whose class you always act out in. They won't lie for you, but they will help you out. Oh, and "winging it" just means that you'll fail. It's not that easy. "Decent" grades always equal a 2.00, which is a terrible GPA for those who want to get into college. You actually have to try.
high school isn't the scary monster that people make it out to be.

it is what you make of it. if you go lone wolf for forever, you'll be a lone wolf forever. and sometimes that's not all that good, as cool as it sounds.

yeah there's cliques but i didn't really see it in those four groups over here. yeah there's people who are either popular or well known, but they sometimes stay within their own small ring/clique of friends, not like this massive gang of people. this is mainly because here, there were two or three middle schools, and one high school in the immediate area. so people who knew each other from their former middle school usually stay together for the first year.

i wasn't popular or well known on a grand scale, but everyone in my ROTC battalion knew me somehow lmao

edit: we would've appreciated it if freshmen weren't so rude and thinking they're the best (when they're on the bottom of the food chain to begin with LMAO)
Yeah but trying to plain all that stuff out and dealing with it......
again I am just gonna wing it,whatever happens, happens.
I might join a club or get involved in a sport(even though I can't play most cause I have a fear of balls flying at me.)
But yeah it's most likely going to be the same as every year, some magic way of making friends on the first day,teachers liking me in about a week, having bumpy grades throughout the year then at the end pulling out with Bs and some As and maybe a C ot two,etc Though it could be different cause some of the teachers had my brother but winging it sounds like the best plain.
But I am going to have to work on my personality some more,begin less sarcastic,benign nicer,the whole nine yards.
Meh. I don't like people saying "So and so year Runs it!" It just sounds dumb. Anyway, while High School ain't so bad, it's also not as awesome as some TV shows portray it. Your parents say "These'll be the best years of your life!", but really, it's no different than normal. Only with jerkier people and more work. You also get more freedom, but that's a given.
wingin' it works pretty well for me, constant A's and B's with a little bit of honors, just by winging it. take on everything as a challenge, and boom, motivation.
That's not winging it. I'd bet that if you didn't try, didn't study, and procrastinated, you'd have a 1.00 GPA in high school. It's not that easy. Constant As and Bs don't come in flocks in a good high school. I know a bunch of people who perennially had As who are stuck in high-D, Low-C territory because they got used to Winging it. Think: When it's time for applications for scholarships, who's gonna get one? The guy with the As and Bs, but "Winged it", or the one with 1 C, but goes to Math Camps, does extra work, and does very well with HW completion rates? Face it, "Wingin' it" is only going to hurt you in the long run, assuming it's even possible. You can "Wing it" on maybe three tests per year, but any more than that, and you're asking for trouble.

Oh, and those of you who think that you can get the teachers to like you in a week? Good luck with that. You get them to like you by DOING YOUR WORK. They can like you, but that doesn't mean that they'll hand you a letter of recommendation, this isn't middle school. It's not that easy. In fact, attempting that will only hurt you, as they won't give you the benefit of the doubt when they can, which is already rare. DON'T THINK YOU CAN CRUISE THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL! It will be the biggest mistake you'll ever make.
<- example of someone who didn't study that hard and procastinated in high school Cool

<- person who has a 3.878 weighted gpa and is a high school honor grad Cool

there are some people who are able to slack off in high school and still come out relatively okay. it's not recommended that one tries to find out, though, but sometimes it happens. some people are naturally gifted at school, while others have to study hard to be on par with those naturally gifted people.

i myself have to study hard in certain math topics (calculus is mainly the biggie for me, everything lower than that is not a problem), but i have an affinity towards english-based courses, probably due to learning how to read at an early age, reading lots when i was a child, forums (even Pokemon helped me with my vocabulary when Red and Blue came out) etc.

you can get complete straight a's but that won't guarantee you landing a scholarship. a lot of extracurricular activities are involved in you landing a scholarship; including sports, community service, JROTC, clubs (such as TSA or those technology clubs), National Honor Society, etc. a year or two ago there was a girl who landed a scholarship because she learned every single language you could possible take at our school (German, French, Latin, Spanish).

the people who are determine who gets a particular scholarship not only looks at your grades. they usually look for someone with a lot of A's, some B's, maybe even a few C's, but are highly involved in those above activities. a lot of scholarships i have looked at require community service to be eligible.

that said: you should start looking for scholarships during your JUNIOR year due to certain scholarships needing an application when you are a current junior. doing scholarships (as well as SAT if you are in america) and college applications late will only hurt you and provide much unnecessary stress.
(May. 19, 2011  5:14 PM)kanato dolsrin Wrote: most of this is very true.....(hey i was in that scary goth group for a year, and quite honestly the are about as normal as everyone else.)

i did my time in highschool, though the only best advice i can give anyone going is:

dont just do your time, live your time because after you get out of high school no one cares what happens to you after words the world is crule, and your going to loose sight of all your freinds, because they will always have something better to do than be with you. it sucks but its only the truth.

high school is your last 4 years of being a kid, make the best of it. rent sucks, bills suck, and trying to get money sucks, the only thing that dosent suck......is driving, but paying for that car to run SUCKS!

your not going to get along with everybody........DONT TRY! LOL so other than that.............have fun HEHEHEHEHE
GOD! Everyone keeps telling me that high school is going to be okay I and I'm fine with that, but now I'm more afraid of what's going to happen after high school! It sounds like it is going to SUCK!
High schools are different, some are full of bad kids, then you have the schools that make you wonder if they should start having entrance exams. then there's the schools (like mine) where you never know what will happen next, just go with a steady head, and be open minded. you'll be accepted better and that'll be hand over the years.
I can't just cruise through it! but I already rented the boat and everything! D: o well looks like ruff waters. Uncertain
My plain really is just to go with the flow for the first year and form some kind of plain of that,and maybe study for some test.
Also the scholarships ehhhhh do I need one for online collage? and the teachers just seem to like me for some reason I don't really do anything they just like me most of the time idk why. Maybe they think I am depressed I don't know and don't care cause I could careless if they liked me.
But I still got the rest of the summer to figure this stuff out so I am not to stressed about it.
Z, you have luck then. when people try framing you in high school, it's a good idea to have some staff in your back pocket. don't ask, but also helpful for dealing with girls when you got people in your back pocket, just like in the real world.
No I have dumb luck thats probably going to run out when I need it the most. Uncertain and girls I totally forgot about them.
I know I am acting like this is going to be easy and some of you are sitting their going " You poor fool" and honestly iv heard/read everything you guys have said and it seems like a lot and it sounds hard,which means stressful and how I deal with stress is thinking about the worst possible outcome then and their so when it does come up I don't really care and thats what iv done iv though about how hard and stressful this is going to be and by this point I don't care and winging it is my plain for the freshmen year.

But seriously do I need a scholarship for online?
If you can't afford it, yeah. That's why you keep the teachers on your side, but you don't suck up. And yeah, for half of that post I was thinking: "This dude's done for...". If you wing it, do it Sophmore year, your Freshman year can determine how your teacher see you, so aim for the higher grades. Even then, pick your classes. Slack in the ones that mean less to your GPA. If you want to wing it, do so, but be smart about it. If you get a big assignment, work HARD on it. It buys you at least two weeks of decent work, while tests buy you five days. I repeat, don't toy with the big 1.5-2 credit classes. That'll kill your GPA. I know one guy who had all As and an F in Algebra. which was worth double credits. He ended with a 2.01. Sad. Be smart, man.
im in 6th grade im looking forward to being a nerd in high school....yeah me and meh friends fight poular people every day....yeah theres alot of:you dont even know how to play zelda or you cant do that when we play yugioh oh and.....that is the stupidest thing ever sports suck!!! ..........Eee we have fun and now i take taekwondo someone in highschool tries to do somthing to me...they'll go down faster than a friggin dog hit with a machine gun eheheheheheheheheheheh
You really shouldn't be trying to pick a fight in any situation, that's incredibly stupid.
[big complain-y thingy] To be really blunt, I hate it. Its really easy except for biology honors (which shouldn't be hard but the teacher is tough). I have my own study hall (aka Latin) because i have taken latin for four years and they decided to put me in latin 1. I have two friends and all the other "aquantinces" i have were fascinated by my ability to say absolutely nothing throughout the whole day (im anti-social). Its so easy i have literally only studied for three tests (1 math and 2 biology, both honors). So, all in all, Im miserable and will be transferring next year. [/big complain-y thingy] And the weirdest thing is, when I'm at home, I absolutely dread going to high school the next day, but when I go, its not as bad as i say (although it still stinks). I also suffer from nostalgia so that doesn't help one bit. To sum it up, high school+me= me, sad and bored. Im done Smile